Recovered/Located UK - Constance Marten & Mark Gordon & Newborn, left a broken down car on motorway, Bolton Greater Manchester, 5 Jan 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Runaway heiress Constance Marten and her partner, Mark Gordon, have been at the centre of a nationwide police hunt for the last two weeks."

I'm not able to understand why this couple is the cause for a "police hunt."
Why are these people being pursued?
What crimes have they committed, excluding the male's long-ago criminal behaviour, for which it appears he has completed his punishment of incarceration?
Is he therefore not deserving of a White Stone?
Are they being hunted because the female gave birth to her baby in a car, and sought postpartum medical inspection for neither herself or her baby?
Because they abandoned their vehicle?

Because she is estranged from her family?

What am I missing here? Unless I've missed evidence of a serious crime, IMO it smacks of a tempest in a toilet bowl.

Anyone on the SOR has a number of rules to abide by, such as notifying of change of address, and if they are "living or staying with a person aged under 18, for 12 hours or more". Failure to comply are criminal offences.

The half-sister of a rapist on the run with his aristocrat partner and their newborn baby has claimed he was 'wrongly convicted' in the US, amid allegations the young mother was 'brainwashed' by a charismatic Nigerian cult leader.

Mark Gordon, who was convicted on four counts of sexual battery when he was just 14 after holding a neighbour hostage at knifepoint for four-and-a-half hours, spent 20 years in prison in the US.

His half-sister Karen Satchell made a direct appeal for him to get in touch on Sunday night, saying he is being 'publicly persecuted'.

[...]

Speaking exclusively to the Daily Mail, Ms Satchell said: 'I think it is terrible what they are doing to him.

'He has done 20 years of persecution in a jail and now he is being persecuted publicly when he is just trying to start his life all over again. They are making it like Mark has kidnapped her and taken her off and that is not the way.'

Ms Satchell, who claims her brother was wrongly convicted in America, added: 'I know my brother.

'If I could say one thing to him it would be, "Mark, reach out to one of us, reach out to me and let me know what is going on, I will do whatever I can to help".'

[...]

I was thinking about MG's conviction and how his sister could even imagine it to be unsafe if he confessed, unless under duress. It's interesting to see his family coming forward to appeal to them. It shows there is a real concern. I am really worried for this case now. Every part of their life has been laid bare for everyone to see. I don't think it is going to end well.

Anyone on the SOR has a number of rules to abide by, such as notifying of change of address, and if they are "living or staying with a person aged under 18, for 12 hours or more". Failure to comply are criminal offences.
But we don't know what his conditions were and whether or not he was in compliance.

DBM
Police are searching for a couple who have gone missing with their newborn baby after their car broke down on a motorway.
Constance Marten and Mark Gordon left the car near junction four of the M61 near Bolton on Thursday night and walked towards Anchor Lane bridge, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said.
Officers believe Ms Marten had recently given birth and neither she nor her baby had seen medical professionals.
They are appealing for information.
The bridge the couple walked towards links the Highfield and Little Hulton areas.
Interesting that Police don't mention a time that the car broke down??
It is said that a Car fire, which could be unrelated but just a coincidence closed the motorway at about 18:20
The Motorway was then opened at around midnight that night.

I know what's concerning to me...the car fire. A broken down car is a situation most people have dealt with at one time or another. It's very different, an anomaly really, a car ungulfed in flames. I'd really like to know how that vehicle came to be ignited. Just some thoughts.
According to an article on The Independent, the car ignited in result of mechanical failure - possibly even after they had abandoned it and walked away from the broken down vehicle. The police have stated that they do not believe CM and DG started the fire intentionally.

Re: torching the car, my thinking was they may have done it to try and prevent the authorities identifying it as theirs, but you're right about it drawing attention (although they may not have been thinking rationally). It's also entirely possible they bought an old banger for cash specifically for this journey and it was so clapt out it broke down and caught fire.

Another possibility that occurred to me (possibly a long shot) is if CM has a history of postpartum psychosis and gave birth out of hospital where her mood couldn't be monitored it could explain a lot - the erratic behaviour of the parents, the we-just-want-to-help messaging of the police and their activity which suggests they may fear an imminent danger to life.

According to the NHS, symptoms can include delusions, feeling suspicious and fearful, and acting out of character. It can get worse quickly and endanger mother & child. Just a thought, but it would explain the high profile it's getting - mother and baby in danger - and the gaps of what they're not saying as this kind of medical information would understandably kept private.
On theMotorway were they heading for their intended destination? I don't think they are if a Port was intended.

Has it been established as to why they are avoiding being talked to? It could help to know where they would go and also where they would not go.
if they are running from a cult rather than police, would going to a police station not be a better option.
If they were running because they were in fear of their baby being confiscated then they definitely wouldn't go to police.

Where does it say that baby was a boy?

I'm speculating here, but I think they may have found out the sex from the placenta.
It was found in the car, which is how they knew she had given birth, and some great posters have spoken in the thread about how they can test the placenta for all sorts. Gender would be basic IMO.

So, it seems to me that all their current trouble started with buying that banger. Birth was imminent so they had to up sticks and leave, to keep anyone from informing SS they had a baby, but the car broke down/engine caught fire and they had to leg it. Couldn't call for help as evidence of giving birth in the car, someone would be concerned if they saw that, so they just had to leave and then everything went to hell in a handcart and here we are.

I was thinking about MG's conviction and how his sister could even imagine it to be unsafe if he confessed, unless under duress. It's interesting to see his family coming forward to appeal to them. It shows there is a real concern. I am really worried for this case now. Every part of their life has been laid bare for everyone to see. I don't think it is going to end well.
I don't think it started very well either. Anyone think it's possible there was a multiple birth?

Unfortunately, since leaving the police force MWT has a terrible track record of solving anything.

I'm speculating here, but I think they may have found out the sex from the placenta.
It was found in the car, which is how they knew she had given birth, and some great posters have spoken in the thread about how they can test the placenta for all sorts. Gender would be basic IMO.

So, it seems to me that all their current trouble started with buying that banger. Birth was imminent so they had to up sticks and leave, to keep anyone from informing SS they had a baby, but the car broke down/engine caught fire and they had to leg it. Couldn't call for help as evidence of giving birth in the car, someone would be concerned if they saw that, so they just had to leave and then everything went to hell in a handcart and here we are.
Very feasible. If couple have to inform SS of an impending birth.

According to an article on The Independent, the car ignited in result of mechanical failure - possibly even after they had abandoned it and walked away from the broken down vehicle. The police have stated that they do not believe CM and DG started the fire intentionally.
Do you have a link to the police saying that, I haven't read that yet. TIA

But we don't know what his conditions were and whether or not he was in compliance.

Eh? These apply to ALL on SOR, doesn't matter about 'conditions'. And certainly hasn't been 'in compliance' for last 2 weeks and likely much longer.

• Name and any aliases you have been known by
  • Date and place of birth
  • National insurance number
  • Home address at the time of conviction
  • Current address
  • Any other addresses or premises where you stay regularly (i.e. at least seven nights of the year or where you stay for two or more periods which adds up to seven days)
  • If you are living with a child or staying in a household where a child lives for at least 12 hours in each day
  • Date of conviction, court and offence
  • Passport details
  • Details of bank or savings accounts to which you have access
  • If you are residing with a child under the age of 18
  • Bank account and credit card details
  • Certain information about your bank account and credit card details

If any of these details change, you must notify the police within three days. If none of your details change, you will still need to report to the police every 12 months. The police may require you to allow them to take your fingerprints and photograph when you report to them.

If you are of no fixed abode

If you have no fixed abode, you must notify the police weekly of where you can be found.

Failure to notify

You will be committing a criminal offence if you fail, without reasonable excuse, to:
  • Make an initial notification
  • Notify a change in details
  • Make an annual re-notification
  • Comply with any requirements concerned with the notification of travelling abroad
  • Knowingly provide false information in relation to the first four points above
  • Inform the police afterwards where plans are changed following notification
  • Allow the police to take photographs or fingerprints
  • As a parent or guardian under a parental direction, ensure that a young offender, subject to notification requirements, complies with those requirements

You may be arrested if you breach these requirements. Upon summary conviction (in a Magistrates’ Court), you may be liable to a term of imprisonment of up to six months, or to a fine, or both. If you are taken to the crown court, you will be liable to a term of imprisonment of up to five years.

<modsnip - quoted post snipped>

I think the cult stuff is largely irrelevant as it was quite some time before she became estranged. I think it is only really relevant in showing that she is vulnerable. JMO
It might be relevant if MG is also connected to that or a similar cult.

I'm purely speculating. I've read nothing to that effect. But he wouldn't be the first long-term prisoner to get an evangelical dose of religion while incarcerated.

JMO

I'm purely speculating. I've read nothing to that effect. But he wouldn't be the first long-term prisoner to get an evangelical dose of religion while incarcerated.

JMO
IMO They fled because newborn would be unlikely to be able to stay with her if she remained in a relationship with him.
<modsnip - victim blaming>

Last edited by a moderator:
DBM

Interesting that Police don't mention a time that the car broke down??
It is said that a Car fire, which could be unrelated but just a coincidence closed the motorway at about 18:20
The Motorway was then opened at around midnight that night.
Yeah I don't know how it is in the UK but here in the Northeast USA car fires on the highways are not an even remotely common occurrence, unless it's the 1970's and you lived near the Bronx Expressway. And to close a road for that long sounds like an lengthy investigation took place...for some electrical issues on an abandoned car?

JMO
Wondering if MG made any long term connections with fellow prisoners during his time incarcerated in the US?
speculation, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member