UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how to quote a past post, but this is in reference to the "putting AWOL to bed post".

I asked my close family member, whose extremely recent job was working directly in this situation (with men who went AWOL) and thus was trained in the legalities and specifics. If a service person is discovered to be AWOL they can be arrested by civilian police (even if they are sitting outside the base, as was quoted) who will indeed have the legal right to handcuff them. They will then be taken to a civilian police station and detained until they can be put into civilian court at which point they will be handed over to military custody, from which they will appear before the judge advocate who will decide wether they will be remanded or not depending on the severity of the case. Service personnel sign a legally binding contract when they enlist. It is therefore classed as a crime to go AWOL. These are new rules which came into force in 2009 and mean that there is more civilian involvement in the process than there was previously.

Which means he wouldn't want to be found......

I've got 7 pages of reading to catch up, but I just came across this video made at the 3-week missing mark. It's of Corrie's dad talking to ForcesTV. A few people in the last thread mentioned Lanzarote and the possibility of planning with his dad to go AWOL, but from looking at this video, Corrie's dad looks genuinely worried and broken up. I can't imagine he knew anything in advance.

http://forces.tv/83259810

I also think it's worth posting, because if someone's been involved in Corrie's disappearance in some way, whether an accident has happened or they've seen something off, this lad has a family that is so worried for him, and it's really not fair on them.

It's so sad to hear his dad talking about this disappearance. I hope that the police pod over the next couple of days brings some leads. As for the opinion that people who are not local shouldn't go and view the cctv, I'm not sure I agree. The world's a surprisingly small place at times and who knows what connection might be made. Personally I think anyone and everyone who can should go in that pod and have a look.

It's so sad to hear his dad talking about this disappearance. I hope that the police pod over the next couple of days brings some leads. As for the opinion that people who are not local shouldn't go and view the cctv, I'm not sure I agree. The world's a surprisingly small place at times and who knows what connection might be made. Personally I think anyone and everyone who can should go in that pod and have a look.

In my sleuthing I discovered that a friend of Corrie's is friends with someone who works near me, and I'm friends with their boss. I wouldn't know anyone in the BSE photos or videos, but I was surprised there were so 'few degrees of separation' between me and Corrie.

I think what JamesKing means in his last post is that the family's aim, by using Facebook and any other media/social outlets, is to quite simply find Corrie. Used simply as tools, in whatever way, to achieve that goal as quickly and effectively as possible.
The information released, appeals & "updates" aren't necessarily, if at all, done to update and inform the public.
Tony, is a very intelligent guy, utilising Facebook "updates" as a veil to eek out the perpetrator by dropping hints, misinforming and either lulling him/her into a false sense of security so the perpetrator slips up or by showing the perpetrator that the net is closing in which would make him/her crack or panic and make hasty/miscalculated decisions.
When it comes to finding one of your own, you quite rightly, do whatever you have to do, by whatever (legal) means necessary and if that means telling a few lies to 65000 Facebook followers to catch 1 person who's taken your nephew, so be it.
JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hang on a minute - why do you think Tony is so intelligent? If he's already tripped himself up several times, then he's not as intelligent as he'd like to appear.

Wouldn't it be a bombshell if this was all a farce? You can't rule ANYTHING out. As you say, family are family, and if Corrie has gone AWOL and his family are aware of that, they won't snitch on him. And whilst I'm not casting aspersions....the prospect of lots of fund money rolling in is the icing on the cake

Exactly Amonet. How often do we realise a connection we never knew about? How often have we been on holiday and bumped into someone we know in a completely strange place? I definitely think it's worth everyone looking at the footage if they're in Bury, who knows it might just be that one recognition that turns everything around.

In my sleuthing I discovered that a friend of Corrie's is friends with someone who works near me, and I'm friends with their boss. I wouldn't know anyone in the BSE photos or videos, but I was surprised there were so 'few degrees of separation' between me and Corrie.

Apparently, EVERYONE is separated from EVERYONE else by just six degrees.

Which means he wouldn't want to be found......

How long someone would spend in a military jail after sentencing would be dependent on the one doing the sentencing/circumstances etc..it might not be very long. But, discussing this with my family member they raised an interesting point. If a member of the service community is due to go on an operational tour, eg: to Afghanistan, and they go AWOL then that is classed as desertion, which carries a tougher sentence of a definite 2 years. It might be possible that someone in that position would indeed not want to be found. I would also refer back to an earlier post where a very wise member discussed just how difficult it would be for Corrie to return at this point and say that he had "just" been AWOL after all the publicity, time elapsed etc. Very difficult indeed.

Just to clarify, I don't believe that he has gone AWOL, but I think the above are interesting points.

Exactly Amonet. How often do we realise a connection we never knew about? How often have we been on holiday and bumped into someone we know in a completely strange place? I definitely think it's worth everyone looking at the footage if they're in Bury, who knows it might just be that one recognition that turns everything around.

Yes, you can go on holiday and bump into someone you KNOW (albeit rarely) but what's the chances of looking at CTV of grainy images of 23 locals (which you can bet they are - it's isn't a tourist area) and that are hard to see properly, and suddenly going "I know that person! They live two streets from me 95 miles away!"

come on....

I have to say I don't think he's gone AWOL. Why would you choose to do it on a night when you're drunk and have already passed out once? I'm sure if that's what his intention was, he'd have planned it very carefully. I just don't think he's the type either, from what we know of him. Just my opinion of course.

Yes, you can go on holiday and bump into someone you KNOW (albeit rarely) but what's the chances of looking at CTV of grainy images of 23 locals (which you can bet they are - it's isn't a tourist area) and that are hard to see properly, and suddenly going "I know that person! They live two streets from me 95 miles away!"

come on....

I was using the holiday example to highlight how it's a small world, not because I think the cctv is full of tourists. I also didn't mean it might be a neighbour from miles away. People move around all the time, social media makes our world even smaller. The more people view the footage the better chance there is of a glimmer of hope.
<modsnip>

From the searches I've done, there are no flats there. Looking at the front of those shops like Superdrug and you can clearly see into the first floor windows and there are racks with boxes on them i.e. storage/stock room?

Add to that there just doesn't seem like there is any access for people at the back and all I can see are fire exit doors with no letterbox. PurpleWitch who is local also didn't believe there were flats there.

As for the phone ping angle I've been wondering if the EE techheads could have been asked by the Police to dive deeper into the pings to narrow things down? I'm sure they have more capabilities than they would admit to having.....

I'm not in BSE, I am from Fife. I think there's quite a few locals on here, I'm not sure who posted that though

I have to say I don't think he's gone AWOL. Why would you choose to do it on a night when you're drunk and have already passed out once? I'm sure if that's what his intention was, he'd have planned it very carefully. I just don't think he's the type either, from what we know of him. Just my opinion of course.

I think thats hats the best way to go AWOL - when it appears it'd be the worst time to vanish. Make sure it look more genuine that something happened to him. Nicola is very keen to mention that Corrie was getting paid the next week....almost too keen in my opinion. How does anyone's know if he'd got money hidden somewhere? That's what people do when they want to vanish...they leave their stuff behind but have a secret stash somewhere.

I was using the holiday example to highlight how it's a small world, not because I think the cctv is full of tourists. I also didn't mean it might be a neighbour from miles away. People move around all the time, social media makes our world even smaller. The more people view the footage the better chance there is of a glimmer of hope.
<modsnip>

in that case then why don't they show this footage on social media and reach millions?!

Attacking other posters is a TOS violation. Posts have been removed and any members engaging in further attacks face being placed on Timeouts.

:wave:

in that case then why don't they show this footage on social media and reach millions?!

The people they want to identify are wanted in connection with what they may or may not have seen that night, and both are important. If you put their pictures out for millions in public and one person is recognised on social media, then the name will spread via social media who mistakenly think this person is a suspect. No one has been named as a suspect, the police haven't even said they have yet got firm evidence of any crime.

There is a CenterParks near BSE, I think it's the Elveden one. There were people from places like London holidaying there the week/end Corrie went missing. I doubt that one of them would have been clubbing in BSE that night or walking around between 3.30 and 8am, but there were people around BSE who were from out of town.

Then the degrees of separation thing. I wasn't claiming I'm Corrie's best mate or anything silly like that, but I had no idea I knew someone who knew someone, and it does bring it home that we do have these networks and connections. Social media is a valid point, some people have hundreds or thousands of 'friends' on things like Facebook and they could recognise a picture. It's definitely not the first step to take to put all those 23 people out on national TV as "wanted persons", but these are valid points. I wouldn't be surprised at a local TV appeal (not sure which is the region for Suffolk?) if all 23 don't get ID'd from the pod this week.

:tos: Sleuthing a victim's family is against The Rules.

If any more warnings are required in this thread tonite, the thread will be closed for review until tomorrow, and timeouts may be forthcoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro