GUILTY UK - Hashim Ijazuddin, 21, and Saqib Hussain, 20, car crash A46 Leicester 11 Feb 2022 *Murder Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I thinkt it's tough for MP because if he is being honest he's also massively incriminated himself with admitting to having the wheel brace down his trousers. Perhaps this will assist him as mitigation in sentencing should he be convicted of something. I actually have no idea at this time of what any of the charges will be!!!

I thinkt it's tough for MP because if he is being honest he's also massively incriminated himself with admitting to having the wheel brace down his trousers. Perhaps this will assist him as mitigation in sentencing should he be convicted of something. I actually have no idea at this time of what any of the charges will be!!!
I suppose that's what is intriguing about this case. It's contentious, but while we know there are definitely guilty verdicts out there we don't know exactly who is guilty of what.
Mo's situation is different from the others, mainly (JMO) because he was arrested and questioned a lot later than all of the others were, so they had a lot more discovery to throw at him in police questioning than the others.
He's one of the strangest defendants I've ever seen in a criminal trial, in that he got harsher cross examinations from his co-defendants barristers than he did from the prosecutor! In my head I've been calling him "Mohammed the Fed" or "Glowhammed."
It's like he's part defendant, part prosecution key witness. Truly the worst of both worlds!

So have all the defendants' testimonies been summarised by the judge? I've lost track!

Judge expected to complete summing up -TikTok trial day 49
No court today due to juror illness. Assuming this juror returns tomorrow that means summing up will finish tomorrow then the jury will have a few hours in the afternoon at most to deliberate then the court won't sit again for two whole weeks!
Not ideal at all I really feel for Saqib and Hasim's families, must be really frustrating for everyone actually (except the defendants who are on bail - for reasons I have stated more than once before!)
I wonder if they can cancel this two week recess as it seems to be really inconvenient for these deliberations?

Everything of course is J.M.O.

I wonder if they can cancel this two week recess as it seems to be really inconvenient for these deliberations?
Schools in Leicestershire finish today/tomorrow (1-2 weeks before the rest of the country), see below for Leicester's "July Fortnight", not sure if the court closes(?) but holidays are the likely reason.

Jury reminded that Mohammed Patel's interview is evidence against all eight defendants

The jury members have been instructed by Judge Spencer to treat the police interviews differently. The only two defendants who gave full accounts to detectives after their arrests were Mahek and Mohammed.

Mahek now admits she told lies in the interview - the judge has said that means the content of what she said could only be used as evidence against Mahek herself. They cannot judge the other seven based on the fact Mahek lied.

But Mohammed has stuck to his interview statements, adopting them as his defence case. That means, the judge said,
the jury can use his statements about the others and about what happened in general as evidence against all eight.

Whut? I thought he said that they CAN'T use his statements as evidence against the other defendants?

I just came here to post this!!!

This totally screws over the drivers and the women, IMO. MP's testimony about the let's ram them etc is crucial.

And I don't remember hearing this:

He added that he Raees Jamal later instructed him not to tell the police anything. He met Raees the next day in Leicester city centre by the Clock Tower and Raees took him to various shops and wanted to buy Mohammed things. Mohammed said Raees "was trying to buy my silence".

Whut? I thought he said that they CAN'T use his statements as evidence against the other defendants?
ISTR the same, maybe it was one of the barristers that said it before or was changed in one of the many 'legal discussions' they have had?

This totally screws over the drivers and the women, IMO. MP's testimony about the let's ram them etc is crucial.

I agree, IMO if I were a Jury member, it would be hard NOT to take what Mo's said as evidence against the others as he seems to be the only honest person on trial!

So it looks like the Judge will finish his summing up today and that's it for two weeks.... I think when the Jury come back, they will have all pretty much made up their minds on their verdicts, or at least have thought about any questions to pose and their own thoughts, so it could be a quick deliberation when they return?

I'm really not sure how I feel about this!
On one hand it was a really confusing instruction right from the get go that I personally moaned about because I don't see how the jury could follow it. On the other, earlier in the trial the judge actually paused his police interview tape to tell the jury not to use his evidence against the other defendants, only him. Now he's telling them that they can because he's stuck to his original story? But him sticking to his story is not a new development it will have been in his defence case statement all along?!
It's certainly very bad news for a number of these defendants in the short term. But in the long term, surely this is potentially a massive appellate issue? Especially given how often already in this case defendant's statements have been proven to be false at a later date!

JMO!

Is there any chance it could have been journalistic error? Was the same instruction reported in both trials?

Mohammed denied trying to become a prosecution witness

The judge reminded the jury about the cross-examination by Rekan Karwan's barrister Mark Rainsford KC. Mr Rainsford asked Mohammed if he had used information from the police to make up a version of events. He denied that.

Mr Rainsford asked him if he was "dobbing in" the other accused in the hope he might become a prosecution witness and get himself out of trouble. Mohammed also refuted that.

Well, to all intents and purposes he is now a prosecution witness if his evidence can be used against the others. Sadly, for Mo, he also remains a defendant charged with double murder!

My reading of the whole interview thing, is that it appears a police interview can only be used as evidence about the person giving the interview, not anyone else. But if that person then stands up and repeats it in court, with full cross-examination, then it and his evidence on the stand can then be used about all people involved.

Not a lawyer, no legal knowledge, just the best sense I can make out of it all. Very glad to hear it in any case, as Patel's evidence is key; I'm rather surprised the prosecutions didn't cut a deal with him and just use him as a witness, frankly, as it feels a little harsh to charge him with murder given his low involvement. The weapon may well mean he ends up guilty of something but I bet he'd have bitten their hand off to plead guilty for something minor like intent to assault or whatever and then been a full witness. Or perhaps they figured his story would carry more weight if it didn't seem like he's been bought off with a lesser charge?

I hope the juries in Letby and Bukhari don't reach verdicts on the same day. That would be an overwhelming amount of verdict to take in all at once!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dylanfoxx
Back