GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
11:47
Court hears of Stewart's cancer treatment

The next witness is consultant surgeon Dr Simon Putchaski, who treated Ian Stewart.

“I initially saw Stewart after he was referred from his practitioner. He was found to have some abnormalities in his bowel. We were concerned this may represent a cancer, we decided the only way further forward was to remove this section of bowel.”

He confirms that Stewart had the operation on March 18, 2016.

“Over the course of the weekend, his breathing started to tire, I was concerned he was suffering.

“We decided he was best placed in a higher level dependency ward, one level below intensive care.

“His condition remained stable. He spent a couple of days in this ward, and his breathing didn’t deteriorate.

“On the Monday things were starting to recover.

“The operation wound is around the bellybutton around 5-6cm in length, which is closed with deeper stitches. There are other incisions of 4-5mm in length.

“He was discharged from hospital on March 25, and was seen again on occasions after that.”

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/helen-bailey-murder-trial-royston-12491486

We'll be asked to believe Helen drugged herself, fell in the cess pit and put the manhole cover back on

11:54
'Nothing out of the ordinary'

Dr Putchaski is now being cross-examined by the defence.

He reiterates that Stewart had a major operation on the main bowel, undertaken by keyhole surgery.

He said that Stewart’s underlying health condition could cause a change to facial expressions, such as smiling - although he said he was in no way an expert on the condition.

However, when re-examined by the prosecution, he reiterated: “Stewart appeared to have a normal facial appearance, nothing struck me out of the ordinary.”

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/helen-bailey-murder-trial-royston-12491486

We'll be asked to believe Helen drugged herself, fell in the cess pit and put the manhole cover back on

that's what I guessed pre trial start ( her taking his meds without his knowledge) , luckily there's evidence to negate that.

11:56
'How long would Stewart's recovery take?'

Dr Putchaski was asked how long it would take to recover from this sort of major surgery.

“It is very variable, we test that the patients are safe, can get out of bed, can walk around the ward, and are capable of climbing and going down the stairs.

“We don’t routinely test for a higher level of activity.”

That’s the end of his evidence. There will now be a very short break, of 10 minutes, until 12.05pm.

He reiterates that Stewart had a major operation on the main bowel, undertaken by keyhole surgery.

He said that Stewart’s underlying health condition could cause a change to facial expressions, such as smiling - although he said he was in no way an expert on the condition.

However, when re-examined by the prosecution, he reiterated: “Stewart appeared to have a normal facial appearance, nothing struck me out of the ordinary.”

we can see where the defence are going with this one !

I had major abdominal surgery last year (open not keyhole) and was back driving after 3 weeks without issue and back to working after 6 weeks. So I think his mobility would have been perfectly fine after a couple of weeks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am rather surprised the defence didn't try to get evidence from the sons that Helen was often debilitated - pre the alleged dosing with meds by IS - maybe the Defence is running a dignified approach?

11:56
'How long would Stewart's recovery take?'

Dr Putchaski was asked how long it would take to recover from this sort of major surgery.

“It is very variable, we test that the patients are safe, can get out of bed, can walk around the ward, and are capable of climbing and going down the stairs.

“We don’t routinely test for a higher level of activity.”

That’s the end of his evidence. There will now be a very short break, of 10 minutes, until 12.05pm.

Glad he didnt let the defence get a point there....... it is so, so variable anyway. I have known two 80 plus folk who were zipping around like youngsters a week or so after a major op and a 40 something person who was still resting up six months later.

we can see where the defence are going with this one !

the grinning in front of the cops Alyce?

I was also expecting the Dr to confirm more about the underlying condition M. Gravis and it's effects for the Defence. Maybe the Dr is coming back after the break?

I am rather surprised the defence didn't try to get evidence from the sons that Helen was often debilitated - pre the alleged dosing with meds by IS - maybe the Defence is running a dignified approach?

I think that's very interesting - perhaps they would not have been able to offer any evidence as they didn't see much of Helen.

little snippet of verbatim from earlier?
[video=twitter;823496782973902848]https://twitter.com/ChloeKeedyITV/status/823496782973902848[/video]

the grinning in front of the cops Alyce?

I was also expecting the Dr to confirm more about the underlying condition M. Gravis and it's effects for the Defence. Maybe the Dr is coming back after the break?

yes, that was my thought.

eta, no he is finished.... perhaps they will call another doctor to give info re M Gravis, would be most useful.

just adding again here, it would have been good if they had asked Dr because, as I am reading it, the reason he went into the high dependency unit ( Not ICU as previously thought ) was because of his breathing and this is linked to the M Gravis isnt it

from Eileen's testimony, a repeat but emphasising how terrified Helen must have been re Boris on beach incident . Feeling that she herself is now a danger to her beloved dog. Wonder if IS ever remarked on this to his family members.....rhetorical question ( my OH would be terrified by that and would relay that concern to others. )

[video=twitter;823494837445992449]https://twitter.com/ChloeKeedyITV/status/823494837445992449[/video]

I think that's very interesting - perhaps they would not have been able to offer any evidence as they didn't see much of Helen.

Or perhaps because she wasn't !

12:06
A note on spelling

NB- the surgeon giving evidence is Dr Simon Buczacki, not Putchaski as stated below.

[or above, for the purpose of this forum - MM]

“What worried her most was that Ian’s parents had come round and she was concerned about what they would think about her being asleep in bed. I said that didn’t matter, but I would have expected Boris to bark. Ian said Boris didn’t bark.”

Sounds like he was using the sleeping tablets to keep Helen out of the way when he didn't want her around... on that occasion at least. Maybe worried she might mention the wedding to his parents?

11:23
Cross-examination begins

Eileen Bailey is now being cross examined by the defence.

Eileen admits that she thought Helen feeling dizzy could also have been to do with her eyesight, and she told Helen to buy some new glasses.

Helen bought three pairs and she saw them in February 2016, she told jurors.

She admits that Helen complaining about feeling dizzy was before Christmas 2015 and it wasn’t a ‘new phenomenon’ a couple of weeks before she went missing.

The Tesco scanner incident was also before Christmas 2015, she said.

She said Helen told her that around this time, she was starting to go through the menopause, and Eileen attributed a lot of Helen’s memory problems down to this.

Sounds like they're trying to prove that Helen's symptoms had started before IS got the sleeping tablet prescription, but of course he may have been using his 2010 stash first and only gone to get another prescription when they ran out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper