UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 *ARREST* #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
15:53
Cause of death unascertained
Dr Lyall says he was not able to determine how Libby Squire died.

He concluded her cause of death remains unascertained.

The pathologist has looked at other mechanisms that could explain her death.

He said: “I have to have an idea of what is relevant and I could explore the different possibilities as I saw them and how they detailed the autopsy findings.”

Dr Lyall said these included looking at possibilities that Libby had drowned, had hypothermia or had been subjected to a violent assault.

He said: “A subtle asphyxial death remains a possibility, this could be some kind of smothering or neck pressure or a combination of both.”

But he added: “While drowning remains possible I am not prepared to say it is the likely explanation for her death.”

He added the level of decomposition to the body made the post-mortem examination harder and said: “There could have been injuries - we just can’t see them.”

Dr Lyall still determined the cause of death was unascertained.

Libby Squire trial live: Lifeboat crews describe discovery of body

Last edited:
I think we need to remember Polish is his native language. I have a very good friend who is Polish. Their English is fantastic but things don’t often translate over well.
There’re many things she says that don’t make real sense but I know what she means.
I can hear her staying his interview as such and it’s quite jilted because of the translation barriers.
As someone else said, there’s not always a direct translation for words or phrases too.
I found this out once when I asked her to help me translate a notice so I could put it in English and Polish. She couldn’t translate it. We had to use Google... then she went! Oh yeah but that means X, but will make sense.
I agree
I read again questions and his answers and I think he could understand it like they suggesting he had her in the boot
He was told: “You knew exactly what was in the boot of your car because you told us only you had been in there. Why didn’t you tell us about the other items?”

He said, “no comment.”

He was then asked: “Did you put Libby in your car with the intention of committing a sexual offence?”

He replied: “She was not in any boot. I am telling the truth there is no point making anything up. What I told you was that she only sat in the front seat.

“I said the truth and I don’t need to tell you anything more"

I think he could get word "put her " literally so he denied he put her in the car(in the boot- that's what he probably means)

Last edited:
I agree
I read again questions and his answers and I think he could understand it like they suggesting he had her in the boot
He was told: “You knew exactly what was in the boot of your car because you told us only you had been in there. Why didn’t you tell us about the other items?”

He said, “no comment.”

He was then asked: “Did you put Libby in your car with the intention of committing a sexual offence?”

He replied: “She was not in any boot. I am telling the truth there is no point making anything up. What I told you was that she only sat in the front seat.

“I said the truth and I don’t need to tell you anything more"

I think he could get word "put her " literally so he deny he put her in the car(in the boot that's what it probably he means)

I agree, I don't read too much into the boot thing. I think it's a combination of the language difference and the general train of thought of the conversation. He's said plenty more incriminating things than that.

16:20
Dr Lyall cross-examined
Oliver Saxby QC has said: “The pathological evidence does not establish that she was killed does it?”

Dr Lyall has replied: “No.”

Mr Saxby is looking at Dr Lyall’s possibilities, which include drowning.

He said evidence such as foaming and fluid indicates drowning and said: “Even if there wasn’t, that isn’t to say she didn’t drown correct? And signs originally that were present can change and become undetectable over time, correct? And that is relevant because she was sadly in the water for around seven weeks.

“If, you were having to prove that she had drowned, well then the pathological evidence wouldn’t help would it?”

Dr Lyall said, “No, I don’t think so. It is on the basis of the pathology she could have drowned.”

Mr Saxby is asking about asphyxiation. He said: “There were none of the signs that you usually see when that happens?”

Dr Lyall said: “That’s correct.”

16:22
Evidence of sexual assault
Dr Lyall says that a lack of injury does not mean a person has not been the subject of a sexual assault, as there are usually “other factors that might mean they cannot consent.”

He added that if someone has had alcohol or drugs it could “impair their ability to defend themselves, it affects cognitive movements.”

Richard Wright QC has asked if there are any other factors.

Dr Lyall said: “In this case, confusion or problems caused by hypothermia might also be a factor coupled with alcohol.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members