Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want he'd that (very interesting I didn't realise the searching has gone upstream, not sure why they'd do that). On the timing and location of the messaging and meeting the police don't actually give the location and/or whether it was placed on the bench at 9.20,just it was located there. In this case she could have left them there for some reason
Perhaps slightly upstream nearer to the mobile homes?

If the police's first thought was that NB had fallen in the river, why wouldn't the local woman who initially found the dog also think the same and ring emergency services immediately?
I’ve been saying this all along. It’s the one thing about all of this that I find unusual.

Somebody slipping and falling in a river….I can believe. That is still the most likely scenario to me.

Somebody stumbling upon an abandoned dog and mobile phone and not immediately calling the police upon realising that the owner of two valuable possessions is nowhere in sight, next to a river….I can’t believe.

Email to boss and text to friend sent very close timewise to second witness sighting in upper field. I think she sent email etc whilst walking in top field .. may have planned to get to bench in order to sit and listen in to Teams meeting
I'm in a different part of England but it has it been warm enough for sitting outside at 9am, has it in the NW

JMO but I dont think she would be sitting down

Why is this suspicious and a red flag?

'Faffing' is also used in a jokey way and all it means is that someone has been doing something, but nobody knows what it is. Your friend was meeting you, but is late. They apologise ''Sorry to be late, I was faffing around'' or Someone nips into the house for a coat and emerge after a much longer time than it should take. ''Sorry about that. You know what I'm like, I was faffing around trying to find a jumper.'' I often say 'faffing' is my middle name and everyone laughs. It's an endearing term in most situations. Even if it was used in a frustrated way, it's just a word. My mum and sister are in the car waiting to go out, but I don't emerge for a few minutes. Mum - ''What do think she's doing?'' Sister ''She'll be faffing around making sure all her animals are warm enough, have a mountain of food and fresh water. You know what she's like!'' I leave the house and get in the car. Me- ''Sorry about that.'' Sister -It's ok, we knew you'd be faffing around with the animals.'' Me- ''You know what I'm like. Faffing is my middle name!''

Not sure if this helps!

In this instance someone couldn't explain what had happened, so referred to her possibly falling in the river. Essentially, ''Could she have fallen in whilst faffing about near the edge?'' It's not loaded and ultimately it's semantics, but I don't see this as being a 'negatively-weighted' comment made by a witness.

But as always, it's JMO MOO.
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, @I wonder. Where I come from, "faffing about" would only be used in a derogatory manner by someone in a bad mood toward the person they're referring to. That's why it caught my attention immediately. (In my experience, IMO etc. etc.)

Going back to basics a little bit i suppose ...

If Nicola fell in the river , having full trust in the initial police response and the SAR teams on site within hours ( as far as i recall ) , further corroborated later on by PF and his team , we can confidently say that, having not found her up to a mile upstream from the bench area and ,at the very least, down to the weir , for the fall in the river scenario to have realistic sense it kinda follows that:

A) She fell in the water and was transported by current past the weir very quickly

B) She fell in the water much closer or even past the weir , for the initial searches to have missed her ( and for this we need context as to why she would even be ther in the first place , presumably with Willow left in the field)

C) The SAR teams and PF's team have simply been unable to locate her in that stretch of river (very unlikely given the scale , length of the search and equipment used )

If none of this apply , fellow sleuthers , we are left with asking ourselves if it's easier to stage a disappearance/fake death or for an abductor/aggressor to carry out their deed and remove Nicola from the scene/area . Willingly , unwillingly or forced to.
And work your way from there .

All of this in my view , in my opinion .
To add, we've heard very little about the Teams call. How many people were on this call? Was she a key player to this call? Did she introduce herself or just join video off, muted? Did she not say a word through out this call?

IMO the number 7 on the map is exactly where the bench is. Within a few metres of it and direction you would be pushed by the water flow if you fell in.

JMO possible scene is altercation resulting in minor assault with the person doing the pushing not realising what happened afterwards.
If number 7 is where the bench is, and if NB disappeared after running to stop Willow chasing an animal, then she could have run after Willow and the animal straight across the field to below the weir, where animal and NB could have entered the water. This is a much shorter distance than following the river's U-bend downstream, and would have put her below the weir one way or another when the phone and dog where found.
Whatever happened, the dog went back to the bench. I don't think the dog's overall behaviour can be confidently stated in this case by comparison with what other dogs do/all do/ have done.

To add, we've heard very little about the Teams call. How many people were on this call? Was she a key player to this call? Did she introduce herself or just join video off, muted? Did she not say a word through out this call?
We have heard loads about the call. <modsnip> The meeting was for lots of people, many joined on mute and were not expected to participate, including Nicola. This has been mentioned several times as being completely normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
What if she was being 'removed' by some secret protection agency? Or some other form of subterfuge. Would perhaps someone instruct her to go about her day exactly as normal, then they'll pick her up on the main road at a certain time? Leave behind the phone, the dog, everything except the clothes you're standing in. Sounds a bit far fetched but could that happen?
Secret protection agency or subterfuge, such as? Yes, going into the UKPPS will be done on the quiet and with some stealth, not generate a massive amount of publicity that puts her description out there. Or that puts other people at risk, and I include police and the community in that?

These kind of questions were being asked about Corrie Mckeague, like had he been snatched to join Special Forces or some secret operation. Being ex-Britsh Armed Forces, that was a simple 'no'. For the first reason I've given above, plus others.

That’s interesting. Are you local? Where is it focused on? Are volunteers searching again today or is it noticeably quieter?
TIA
Yes relatively local. The helicopter appeared to be focussing ore on the are from shard bridge down to Stanah although not always easy to tell. Not sure what the ground search has been like today

RSBM

I disagree with pretty much every single word of your contradictory post. The OP is 100% correct IMO, the term 'faffing' is always & entirely pejorative and your benevolent examples are nonsensical. It most certainly does NOT mean "someone has been doing something but nobody knows what it is", it means someone has been wasting their time doing something other than concentrating on the task in hand. I agree with the OP, the use of that term during the C5 interview certainly attracted my attention.
If people are going to argue about what the word faffing means, let's check the dictionary...

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, @I wonder. Where I come from, "faffing about" would only be used in a derogatory manner by someone in a bad mood toward the person they're referring to. That's why it caught my attention immediately. (In my experience, IMO etc. etc.)
That's interesting, I would only ever use it or have come across it in a lightvhearted teasing kind of way, not a negative word at all

JMO

Hillylaid Pool Stanah, off the Wyre

This is very close to Shard Bridge. If NB did go over the weir, based on other missing person cases this is historically where she would be most likely to be found.

Another reason for her phone being left on the bench was that she left it there intentionally as she went down to the water temporarily, such as a rinse something or something dog related. I was was abducting someone in this spot I would have thrown their phone in the river because I would have assumed the phone was not on silent and everything could have been heard.
I appreciate your point. But why would you leaving your phone on a bench when you can simply place it in your pocket? As wasn't she on a work Teams call, so you really have to keep your phone with you, no? It was cold, she was wearing a jacket, a gilet and jeans (according to her home Ring footage), all with plenty of pockets.
If you abduct someone and throw their phone in the river, then you are immediately announcing to the police that there's 'another party' involved and it's a criminal investigation. From the get go. Rather than a missing person or similar. The whole point of leaving it as a decoy and not disposing of it, is to waste days and weeks of police time in thinking there has NOT been a crime and to try to imply the very mystery were now discussing.
The other reason, is to imply she returned to that bench.

The last confirmed witness sighting of NB was in the far upper field. We don't actually know for sure that she returned to that bench at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member