Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Distraught partner of missing Nicola Bulley 'is frustrated with police over their stalling investigation and has been rebuffed by senior officers' - as force only now tries to find anglers fishing on the River Wyre when she vanished 2½ weeks ago

Were we not discussing fishermen earlier? Lets hope they move onto magnets next.
Poor guy his life is in tatters :(

On a public bench? Like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Not really. If N had been sitting on the bench with her back to an attacker and they smashed her over the head with something really heavy or slashed her throat or shot her, the blood spatter, her body fluids, her fabrics - the pattern would mean something.

Obviously the police ruled out that level of foul play early on, otherwise they'd have needed to seal off the whole area. One problem with ruling out that level of foul play right at the beginning is that it can't be ruled back in again later.

It's difficult to say, isn't it? In the absence of not knowing NB.

I remember the interview/posts you're referring to and it did come across - jmo - as a direct appeal to NB, as if her friend and PA believed she was out there somewhere and possibly in a position to respond. But then it may just have been them, in their grief, and in the absence of any trace of her in the river, refusing to believe that anything bad had happened to her and clinging on to the hope that she was still alive and in a position to hear their appeals to come home.

Only they can provide answers to that since they know her best.
There’s some things that are clearly scripted/discussed by friends and family before they face the press. PA and NBs sister saying v similar things originally and there was a weird thing that both EW said on a news interview and PA said in the Dan Walker interview which was about them being good people and deserving the good outcome which was to get Nicola back - thought it odd when one said it and odder when they both did but tbh if I were in that situation I’d be scared of giving press interviews and know how things can be twisted or misrepresented so having a semi-script makes sense. EW’s father in law is an ex bbc presenter so may have given advice and it seems EW knows Dan Walker from before this so there’s a few sources of general media training type advice.

But cops don’t routinely need to remove walls, floors and pavements to a lab to collect this evidence in other cases so why does the entire bench need to be moved for this to happen?

They usually close off the area completely whilst they do the relevant testing and fingertip searches. If they say they did that, then I do believe them. To my mind, as I said above, this was not illustrated in any photos from the scene at the time in any mainstream media - that may be what fuelled vigilante action. JMO I'm not sure, just wondering.

Distraught partner of missing Nicola Bulley 'is frustrated with police over their stalling investigation and has been rebuffed by senior officers' - as force only now tries to find anglers fishing on the River Wyre when she vanished 2½ weeks ago

Were we not discussing fishermen earlier? Lets hope they move onto magnets next.

Who's the source?

'He told forensic expert Peter Faulding, who is supporting the family, of his frustrations.

Strange because this sentiment was contradicted by PA's own comments on the Channel 5 show.

Paul Ansell's own comments from C5 interview 10th Feb:

'I have to categorically say, I cannot fault the police in any of this. They have been incredible and the relationship that we have working on this, is still very, very strong, it's very good. So this isn't any criticism of them at all, I just want to make that clear, but the fact that they were in.. the divers and underwater rescue team and all that were in that river on the day and, thankfully, found absolutely nothing in the part where you would, I guess, have to presume, is her last known location. If you take all those things into account, at the unlikeliness of it, you would have to sort of say that, really, that the river isn't what happened. And so we always felt that the mobile phone and the harness and everything, it could possibly be a decoy. Again, we don't have evidence...'

this imo, is priceless
Peter Faulding ‘There’s a feeling that there’s just a lack of imagination and willpower. I don’t want to be critical of police, but I’m just giving his thoughts really.’ ( mail ink, today)
Wonder if the reporters checked in with PA or another family spokesperson such as Heather Gibbons to confirm this before going to print - as per conventional professional standards in journalism?

Last edited:
Hope LE can track any anglers fishing on the Wyre. Here is info on the fishing season.

Fishing Seasons​

Salmon Open season in England Ribble & Wyre for Salmon 1st Feb to 31st Oct.
Migratory Trout 1st April to 30th September
The annual close season:
* for salmon is 1 November to 31 January
* for Sea-trout migratory trout is 1 October to 31 March
* for non-migratory Brown trout (not including rainbow trout) is 1 October to 31st March
* for freshwater fish and eels – national byelaws apply
* River Ribble
* You must not kill more than 2 salmon from 16 June to 31 October.

Did PF's team just search for body-sized objects or did they actually map the river, especially by the bench, and is any of the data published? Would be interesting to see some cross-sections showing the profile and depths of the water where NB is thought by Lancs Police to have fallen in and be unable to get back out.

Thanks for this info. I wasn't interested in the usual steps taken but the ones that have been taken in this instance.

From my point of view, the mainstream media often report and photograph the police out in the field doing forensic testing and fingertip searches and in this instance there seemed to be a lack of that reported. IMO this may be what has spurred on some vigilante activists as they suspect the police weren't doing much / enough and decided to take matters into their own hands. Just a thought. I'm relieved to know they did what was needed immediately.

yes and msm seems to have started reported the NB disappearance several days after 27th and would have been no press at the site on 27th so we can't see what LE did immediately in that initial search. I certainly haven't seen fingertip searching that is common when criminal evidence is anticipated eg minute items, fragments, bullet casings.

tbh I think it's the style and the intensity of reporting that have spurred on the vigilantes the most. If you look back, every day's coverage has been defined by ' mystery' as if it's a whodunnit ( the only other constant theme I have noticed is wtte of ' the police are crap')

Tbh if my other half and Childs parent was missing I’d be screaming inadequacy at everyone until they were found. We can’t really put ourselves in the shoes of someone mad with grief. You’re going to snatch at everything.

Right

I think a lot of the media expectation misses that searching needs to be directed. You can't just look at google maps, see a pond and decide to search it, because that really isn't scalable or effective use of resource. Ditto searching every house in the village. Why that village? How many villages is enough?

Personally, I suspect that the general public in the UK where I live have a skewed perception of what professionals do in many walks of life due to the mainstream media TV shows, dramas, soap operas, and movies. This leads people to believe that doctors, nurses, and police officers all do things that they don't really do.

On TV shows we see teams of people working in depth on a case using vast amounts of resources and technology and dedicated detectives going the extra mile to devote the entire meaning of their life to uncovering the truth behind an incident. Obviously the reality often is way more tragic, pathetic, sad, and inconclusive, plus errors or failings are common :(

Tbh if my other half and Childs parent was missing I’d be screaming inadequacy at everyone until they were found. We can’t really put ourselves in the shoes of someone mad with grief. You’re going to snatch at everything.
Sure but would you speak through a third party, and particularly one who's regularly bashed LE from the outset?
Have to wonder if he's been given permission to say those things - which are in contrast to what PA said himself, to Channel 5.

Last edited:
yes and msm seems to have started reported the NB disappearance several days after 27th and would have been no press at the site on 27th so we can't see what LE did immediately in that initial search. I certainly haven't seen fingertip searching that is common when criminal evidence is anticipated eg minute items, fragments, bullet casings.

tbh I think it's the style and the intensity of reporting that have spurred on the vigilantes the most. If you look back, every day's coverage has been defined by ' mystery' as if it's a whodunnit ( the only other constant theme I have noticed is wtte of ' the police are crap')

BIB

Yes - this is one of the problems

It's easy to claim LE didn't do X, Y and Z but none of us were following the case then. Indeed thread 1 was posted on the 28th after local media appeal.

The MSM images we saw of searches were days later

IMO if the police were aware of an issue of some sort and perhaps medication then the possibility of self harm is quite a reasonable theory. This may be why they actually do know that she is in the River.

There is a sign there with red writing on it which says "deep water". There is an anglers map with "deep hole" on it. If she had asked anglers in passing how deep it actually was in passing one day they would probably have told her.

Who is to say that the missing person had not been planning something? I know a little bit about this topic due to family history of several suicides. Some previous ideation is common and planning may be done in advance but in the heat of the moment, especially if medicated, it is not impossible that a sudden choice is made and you just jump. Stress of work or something else. It is not necessarily a long drawn out process.

IMO jumping in very cold deep water with a lot of clothes on would be a pretty effective way to do this.
Leaving the phone on the bench would be a way to signal your whereabouts assuming that the body is found quickly and family do not have to suffer unduly.

Jumping deliberately feet first into deep water in January would leave no trace in the water or silt. You'd be gone very quickly IMO. Possibly assisted by strong alcohol.

Doesn't explain why the body has not been located though.

Not nice but these things happen and nobody would want to do this and just disappear hence the phone. Someone will find you if they know where you went in..

Not implausible ?

IMO nobody would attempt to end their own life by throwing self in a not particularly deep river when there are a plethora of other methods. I do wonder whether something tipped NB into crisis tho and maybe even the content of her work call - as anyone who works in finance would know, a small change in interest rates or mortgage lending rates or changes in legislation can suddenly wipe out people's whole life situations.

Sorry if I'm going over old ground. I know the harness was between the bench and the river, but was the dog lead on or by the bench? If so, I would have thought it practical to fasten the dog with the lead than use string.. if indeed string was used? Has it been established that the dog was tied up? I've heard conflicting reports that the dog was found running loose along the roadside.

Personally, I suspect that the general public in the UK where I live have a skewed perception of what professionals do in many walks of life due to the mainstream media TV shows, dramas, soap operas, and movies. This leads people to believe that doctors, nurses, and police officers all do things that they don't really do.

On TV shows we see teams of people working in depth on a case using vast amounts of resources and technology and dedicated detectives going the extra mile to devote the entire meaning of their life to uncovering the truth behind an incident. Obviously the reality often is way more tragic, pathetic, sad, and inconclusive, plus errors or failings are common
Bit tired of the public servant bashing. Plenty of doctors and nurses died during Covid looking after patients whilst non frontline medics and journalists went round in the media slating the response. I’m sure police are doing overtime on the NB case and how is 40 detectives not a huge amount of money and resources?

Would be nicer if we could focus on the facts of the case, so far we have a dozen threads of speculation!

They certainly had sniffer dogs out in dinghies on the river and I linked to it earlier in the thread.
Perhaps but not all cadaver dogs are trained for this or have "nose" for underwater search--very specialized. They can detect up to 30 meters deep underwater!

Did PF's team just search for body-sized objects or did they actually map the river, especially by the bench, and is any of the data published? Would be interesting to see some cross-sections showing the profile and depths of the water where NB is thought by Lancs Police to have fallen in and be unable to get back out.

"the divers and underwater rescue team and all that were in that river on the day and, thankfully, found absolutely nothing in the part where you would, I guess, have to presume, is her last known location"

This gives me cause for concern. Are they saying the river bed was completely clear with nothing whatsoever there? It is near a bench so I think there is a chance of some objects being there. The fact they found "absolutely nothing" seems to me that they were ruling things out and filtering the data from the sonar which IMO could result in missing things. Physically removing everything that is in there seems to be the only way to proceed.

Perhaps but not all cadaver dogs are trained for this or have "nose" for underwater search--very specialized. They can detect up to 30 meters deep underwater!
Cadaver dogs are only useful until they point in the 'wrong' direction!

But if that were possible, there would be traces of everyone who used the bench plus animals who get onto it, it's a public bench.
There is no evidence that NB was on the bench that day, but maybe trace of her having been on it on a previous day which would not help.

What they’re looking for is recent blood spatter, fresh hairs etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helangel