Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Police are being very quiet. Maybe there's nothing to tell and they're equally stumped?

When the police are quiet, they typically know something and are gathering more evidence from my experience following crime stories.

Some observations and questions:
  • Are they bluffing with the "non-suspicious" comments? "At this point there’s no suggestion of third party involvement”
  • The force has not said whether a man, considered a ‘potentially key witness’, had seen Nicola that morning and whether he could provide any assistance.
  • "parts of the riverbank are treacherous, and we would ask that nobody puts themselves in danger and that the police and partner agencies’ efforts to find Nicola are not compromised.
  • No press conference asking for publics help - a line on their website asking for people to come forward and help.

No it was always said she was seen going east on the towpath. The bit about being seen ‘from Garstang Road’ has always been on the daily Mail diagram. That’s why I think they were asking for dashcam too. JMO.
Blackpool Lane turns into Garstang Road, pretty much at the point where the private road entrance for the Wyreside Caravan Park (Allotment Lane). The stretch of road where the road bridge and the entrance to the tow path are is Blackpool Lane. Maybe the people who saw her referred to it as Garstang Road as it's the same road... maybe it was garbled reporting by media and / or police?

While I agree it is technically possible to drown in there, it's not very likely for a healthy middle aged woman.

[Snipped by me for focus]

I go the opposite way on this. I'm quite fit and a decent, regular swimmer, but I think I would struggle to exit the water immediately below the bench. I think people are underestimating the effects of cold water response, one of which is uncontrolled breathing within seconds of immersion. The rapid fall in skin temperature evokes a gasp response of around 2 to 3 litres. The lethal dose of water into the lungs is around 1.5 litres. This is for salt water, but I doubt if it is much different for fresh water.

How to deal with Cold Water Shock with Professor Mike Tipton - YouTube video

I understand that one would have expected the river searches to have yielded something by now, but you don't have to spend long on WS to know that there is nothing quick or easy when water is involved.

I cannot remember a missing person case in the UK that has had a live updates/coverage feed like this on the Daily Mail before? Seems very strange to me in addition to everything else.
Hmm, I’m wondering if they’ve had a tip-off that there’s going to be some sort of update or news today, hence the live feed.

I go the opposite way on this. I'm quite fit and a decent, regular swimmer, but I think I would struggle to exit the water immediately below the bench. I think people are underestimating the effects of cold water response, one of which is uncontrolled breathing within seconds of immersion. The rapid fall in skin temperature evokes a gasp response of around 2 to 3 litres. The lethal dose of water into the lungs is around 1.5 litres. This is for salt water, but I doubt if it is much different for fresh water.

I understand that one would have expected the river searches to have yielded something by now, but you don't have to spend long on WS to know that there is nothing quick or easy when water is involved.
Yes and whilst i agree. Would there not have been a scream or some sort noise to make people nearby aware ? Whilst the cold water response kicked in. Maybe i am wrong, i hope i am. JMO

Thats a fair comment - from the outside in it looks like a large stream and nothing that an average adult couldn't get themselves out of, but you never know whats beneath the surface. If they have found some evidence in there already, perhaps that explains their "no third party involvement" line...

She could have been trying to rescue a bird or something and got tangled, shocked and gone downstream.

I'm a mortgage adviser and it's quite common I'll have evening appointments, either with clients or with the boss.

Tbh it's a ridiculously stressful career, especially the last few months.
This stood out for me. I had a quick look at her Linkedin profile and she comes across as very level-headed and responsible. Other sources suggest she is a devoted mum who would not walk away from her family.<modsnip - not victim friendly>

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we know if Police are questioning their family further? I've known cases where some officers have stayed almost permanently at the residence when somebody goes missing.Im guessing thats not been a thing? Obviously PA has to now look after the kids. Are they still going to school?! Curious to know if friends and family are being questioned further.

I think people are open to the idea she could of drowned - her big jacket alone being full of water is enough for me to think she wouldnt be able to get out easy.

The issue for me is the fact they havent found a body or anything of hers in the water.

<modsnip - not an approved source>

What would be the alternative? They are concentrating their search on the river?

I really have no idea. Eliminating it I guess? Unless they are following a line of enquiry that we the public are not privy to and searching the river is a cover for that?

Do we know if Police are questioning their family further? I've known cases where some officers have stayed almost permanently at the residence when somebody goes missing.Im guessing thats not been a thing? Obviously PA has to now look after the kids. Are they still going to school?! Curious to know if friends and family are being questioned further.
I've not seen anything in MSM about a Family Liaison Officer being with the family, but I guess we wouldn't need to know that as general public. Moo

I agree it's possible but two things have to happen... first you gave to have bad luck and drown, and also then the body has to get hidden or carried far away.

But seeing it's been 6 days, I feel there some unlikely/unlucky things must have happened.

There are a number of points about this case which are curious:

1) The phone. Reports that the phone was found whilst still connected to a conference call, yet it was both muted on both audio and visual, makes me think that specific aspect of this may have been staged.

2) The dog was 'agitated' when found but apparently not wet. Anyone who owns a dog will know about their propensity to dive into water given half a chance. If the dog saw NB falling into the river, it would likely follow her in.

3) No sign of a struggle, and no sign of an accident. An opportunist attack would be clear. A slip or fall into the water would likely leave an indication of some sort given the speed of the response.

4) Her seemingly upbeat/excited frame of mind the day prior.

Honestly, I cannot rule anything out any more. And not because everything seems likely, but because everything seems equally unlikely! But well, that's probably also why it's front page news and got a thread.
1. Accident, despite nothing found and no obvious scenario
<modsnip - not victim friendly>
3. Killed by someone she knew, despite there being no obvious time/location for that
<modsnip - not victim friendly>
5. Kidnapped or killed by a stranger, despite there being people nearby, no car access and the location being pretty much "locals only"

Great post. No main theory seems to fit, yet they all seem possible!

Interesting that there have been no SOCO involved. At least nothing mentioned by the press.

Breaking news:- A police cordon by the river.

Sadly I suspect they've found her.

As sad as this sounds, I do hope .they have found her, due to closure's sake.
I don't want it to remain a mystery forever.

And I hope what they found, if it isn't her, is maybe an item of her clothing, etc.

If it turns out to not be hers, that'll be frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah573x