UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I recall that case but not in much detail. If it's the same one there is a bit of a difference to LL as that woman was in cahoots with some guy who was kind of directing her. She was taking pics of the kids at his behest for the purposes of selling them, if I recall correctly. If guilty LL isn't in cahoots with anyone else......that we know of, anyway!

The woman in the nursery case was using a phone to take the pictures. I recall around the time a friend of mine who's family owned a kids nursery was saying that the fallout from that created huge problems for them; they used to organise trips and suchlike for the older kids and gave all the staff mobiles for safety and security reasons in case they needed to phone in an emergency or something or if any of the kids needed parents calling. Her words "....try to find a *advertiser censored**ing mobile today with a camera!....".
It may well be the same case, but I think you’re missing the point (regardless of who someone is in ‘cahoots’ with). We don’t yet know what kind of life/background LL has had prior to her career. We don’t know actually know “if” she had associates of that kind, but that isn’t actually the POV.

Rather, it doesn’t matter whether these are crimes committed by loners or in cahoots with someone else; pretty faces and being amazing/skilled at your job does not mean they can’t/don’t fit the idea of being incapable of committing a crime. It’s rarely heard of, but it does happen.
Moo

June 10th 2015
"She told a colleague later that she had been watching An Hour To Save Your Life, a TV documentary following life on a neonatal unit.

The woman said she did not watch such programmes, explaining: 'get enough in work'.

But Letby explained her fascination: 'I just find it interesting, to see how our work is portrayed to the public.'"

I remember this being discussed months ago but the episode she refers to (airing 9th June 2015) refers to three ICU babies and one in particular the doctor talks about how babies can take in air and in particular can cause the bowels/stomach to expand and put pressure on the chest and over time it will suffocate the baby.

June 12th
Baby C allegedly dies from air via NGT, a 'new' method, one that she largely adopts going forwards, possibly because she doesn't have to be directly there at the point of collapse.

Just random thoughts, I've been ill so too much time on my hands this past week haha

Just located this programme, thanks!

I don't get why spending time with any baby who has died would help you. But to each their own I suppose.
If it was MY baby I had given birth to, it might help to be able to cradle him and hold him for awhile. But anyone else's deceased baby? NO, it wouldn't help.

I suppose I might feel that way about a baby that died while I was caring for them IDK. But I doubt it would 'help' me to spend time with them.

She comes across as quite naive to me in her notes especially, maybe she didn’t know that her home could and would be searched at any given time without prior notice. Did she not realise it was a murder investigation, did she think it was just suspicions of negligence at the time she wrote them?

If she knew she was being looked at for murder then WHY keep the notes and all those handover sheets. It does appear that she may have just thought she was going through procedure and plus knowing she’d left ‘no evidence’, did she think it would eventually blow over, all would be forgotten, and she’d just have to transfer to another unit or something.

Seems she was more worried about what was being said behind her back about her by her colleagues than actually being investigated for murder so I have to wonder if she even knew before her first arrest that that’s what the police were investigating. The notes say more about her anger at people talking behind her back than her concern at being accused of deliberately harming babies she’d been trusted to care for IMO.

There was a long period between her first arrest and eventually being charged. I imagine that anything she wrote during this time was immediately destroyed once she’d been arrested the first time and knew that the police could and would come back at any time to arrest her again.

All MOO

I’ve experienced something similar. It is as you say, very weird.
Someone suggested here previously (maybe @Dotta) I can’t recall? A grief vampire? Is that the term?

It feels very much as if they want to experience/want that grief even if they are not actually attached to someone in the same way as those closest.
Sure these types of people can be upset, even so when in your care. But the type you mention, exactly this, is what I mean and it’s very strange indeed.
Moo
Here is a description of Grief Vampires:

Grief hijacking – also known as competitive grieving, grief, emotional or energy vampires, grief tourists – call it what you like, it’s exhausting and heartbreaking. You’ve started a conversation, whether on social media or in real life, about your loss, and the conversation twists to become about their loss, not yours. They might be grieving for your person, they might bring in their own loss in a way that it seems like they are playing grief Top Trumps. They might be the acquaintances who pop up from your past to tell you that you are brave, or share your social media posts to show that they are ‘supporting’ their grieving friend without ever actually doing anything to help. Whichever it is, the person you are talking to has made it all about them.

If you are approached by grief vampires and grief hijackers, have boundaries to help protect yourself. Share only what you are comfortable about sharing, and say no if they ask too many questions or want to share things about you on social media that you want to keep private.

I was very much thinking about the clusters in June and was wondering if a PP was correct ( sorry I’ve forgotten your name) and if guilty these incidents are linked with spending excess time with her parents. Lots of people with very involved parents/only children ( myself included) revert to the frustration of teenage years after spending too long with our parents. After being controlled by her family during the holiday, perhaps it was important to be in control once back in her adult life and have an outlet for the frustration being treated as powerless causes. Frustration and lacking complete control does seem to correlate with the events whether innocent or guilty.
For example being told which nursery to work in was frustrating for LL just before baby C‘s collapse.
Her notes and texts seem to demonstrate 2 competing sides to her personality in my view, helpless and needy contrasted with complete confidence in herself. I don’t normally come across those 2 extremes in in a person when talking to the same individual imo. People tend to either be very needy or very much in control when speaking to the same person, whereas LL fluctuates between requiring constant reassurance and being almost over confident in the same conversation at times. It’s very interesting whether she’s innocent or guilty.

As a chronic telephone scribbler, “hello”, my name, my signature, other people’s names, and select doodles such as arrows, cubes, and stars in boxes (think Union Jack-ish), appear on my scraps of paper constantly. I’ve never known life any other way. Usually hello and my name only appear if I’ve a) been on hold before being connected, and b) had to introduce myself and/or spell out my name. No idea why my signature happens, just muscle memory I think, there’s no conscious thought involved.

I believe I’m of sound mind, although my husband may disagree :)

@Sweeper2000 thank you so much for the balance and critical thinking you consistently bring to these threads. It’s a breath of fresh air and a welcome reminder that the burden is on the prosecution to prove guilt, not on the defence to prove innocence. Right now - even according to the law, she is innocent until guilt has been proven.

Sorry to be such a virtue signalling w*nker but there’s no point having sub judice rules in a forum like this if we show no willingness to internalise why it’s so important and try our best to engage in arguments that start from a position of innocence in good faith.

That isn’t to say that I believe without a doubt that she IS innocent but nor do I believe that anybody, especially the jury (who, ultimately are the only ones who matter here), has heard enough to know, without a doubt, that isn’t. We haven’t even got to her defence yet.

“IMO”.
So much this, a nod to marantz as well who I think holds up the more critical side of our threads.

I’ve been thinking a lot lately. Regardless of who is responsible, if you are of the mind that someone is responsible and it isn’t a series of clinical errors/scapegoating/unfortunate events/accidents etc etc

I can’t quite make sense of the MO. There’s no refining of the methods used, I really struggle to see where the insulin fits in to the AE and the violence. I could see a plausibility in frustration and and developing from AE to the added parts of violence (throat swelling/liver injuries etc) but where does the insulin fit in? Why was it abandoned as a method? It really sticks out to me along all the rest.

I really struggle to see where the insulin fits in to the AE and the violence. I could see a plausibility in frustration and and developing from AE to the added parts of violence (throat swelling/liver injuries etc) but where does the insulin fit in? Why was it abandoned as a method? It really sticks out to me along all the rest.
Re insulin cases

I seem to remember reading that those cases were added to charges against her after 1st arrest in 2018.

Obviously the investigators were checking everything connected to her.
She might have been experimenting, deflecting from previous methods.
Who knows?

JMO

Last edited:
I was very much thinking about the clusters in June and was wondering if a PP was correct ( sorry I’ve forgotten your name) and if guilty these incidents are linked with spending excess time with her parents. Lots of people with very involved parents/only children ( myself included) revert to the frustration of teenage years after spending too long with our parents. After being controlled by her family during the holiday, perhaps it was important to be in control once back in her adult life and have an outlet for the frustration being treated as powerless causes. Frustration and lacking complete control does seem to correlate with the events whether innocent or guilty.
For example being told which nursery to work in was frustrating for LL just before baby C‘s collapse.
Her notes and texts seem to demonstrate 2 competing sides to her personality in my view, helpless and needy contrasted with complete confidence in herself. I don’t normally come across those 2 extremes in in a person when talking to the same individual imo. People tend to either be very needy or very much in control when speaking to the same person, whereas LL fluctuates between requiring constant reassurance and being almost over confident in the same conversation at times. It’s very interesting whether she’s innocent or guilty.
Your post reminded me of a message from Lucy that I saw yesterday about her relationship with her parents:

The next day, she messaged the same colleague: ‘Nice lunch break, told [my] mum about needlestick and got a huge lecture about not being careful enough, overworked, doing too much etc.’

He responded: ‘That’s not what you need. She’ll be concerned that you’re not looking after yourself. Huge lectures aren’t fun are they?’

Letby said: ‘My parents worry massively about everything and anything, hate that I live alone etc. Didn’t know whether to tell them or not but I thought I better had in case anything comes of it. Lectures are not fun.’

The doctor responded: ‘It sounds hard for all of you. I’m sure “letting go” of your child (probably the most precious thing in your life) is difficult, especially if you don’t stay local or do a job renowned for bad conditions and potential risks. What did you tell mum?’

Letby said: ‘I know, I feel bad because I know it’s really hard for them especially as I’m an only child and they mean well, just a little suffocating at times and constantly feel guilty.

‘Told her I was fine, accidents happen, wasn’t anyone’s fault, just one of those things and bloods etc all precautionary.’

I thought this was kind of a hint about how some of those family vacations went. It seems like after every long vacay with them, she came back to work kind of unhinged?

Her messages above seem to kind of downplay it but she did admit to massive guilt and feeling suffocated at times.

So much this, a nod to marantz as well who I think holds up the more critical side of our threads.

I’ve been thinking a lot lately. Regardless of who is responsible, if you are of the mind that someone is responsible and it isn’t a series of clinical errors/scapegoating/unfortunate events/accidents etc etc

I can’t quite make sense of the MO. There’s no refining of the methods used, I really struggle to see where the insulin fits in to the AE and the violence. I could see a plausibility in frustration and and developing from AE to the added parts of violence (throat swelling/liver injuries etc) but where does the insulin fit in? Why was it abandoned as a method? It really sticks out to me along all the rest.

I think the insulin was thrown in as an alternative method because she , if guilty, may have felt the need to ,allegedly, change things up so it wasn't so obvious.

I think it was a little more risky because someone had to sneakily taint the TPN bag and it is so much more of an obvious poisoning and thus a malicious action. Her other methods mimicked possible natural causes and left reasonable doubts.She allegedly had much better cover in the other cases.

I think the methods were refined somewhat but I don't think the intent was always 'certain death.' I think she craved the chaos and intensity of working with the resuscitation team, working hard together to see if they could bring a baby back from the brink of death. Sometimes they could celebrate the success together, only have to try it again hours later.

Essentially it was left up to fate. It was interesting hearing how much praise and attention she got from others of her amazing abilities and self control during these resuscitation attempts.

I welcome all debate - G / NG or on the fence.
It’s always interesting to hear other people’s views and as we are reminded we haven’t heard a word of her defence as yet.
Maybe I will be eating my words but I doubt it.

I welcome all debate - G / NG or on the fence.
It’s always interesting to hear other people’s views and as we are reminded we haven’t heard a word of her defence as yet.
Maybe I will be eating my words but I doubt it.
I don't think anybody should be "reminded" of anything here on WS.

Those who have been following this case for months are well aware of the stage in which the trial is.

This is a forum open to everybody - every person can state arguments for or against.
This is called a discussion and there is no need to rebuke posters about their views.
Or divide this group.

Surely those who have different views can join the discussion, not only appear out of the blue to criticize others?

JMO

We have heard her defence, for all babies now. It's built into the cross-examination of the prosecution expert witnesses and it's basically trying to poke holes here and there in their undivided conclusions, except the insulin cases which are clear cut poisonings.

JMO

We have heard her defence, for all babies now. It's built into the cross-examination of the prosecution expert witnesses and it's basically trying to poke holes here and there in their undivided conclusions, except the insulin cases which are clear cut poisonings.

JMO

NOTES FROM DEFENSE OPENING ARGUMENTS:

Mr Myers tells the court that sometimes deteriorations are unexplained, and if Lucy Letby cannot provide an explanation, that does not make her responsible.
For every count, Letby is "adamant" she has "done nothing wrong" to cause any deliberate harm to any of the babies in the case, Mr Myers adds.

Mr Myers added there are two further areas to consider.
"It is important not to guess, or proceed on a presumption of guilt."
"Even when we have timings...some will be more precise than others."
There were many occasions when "Lucy Letby was simply not there" when harm was being alleged.

"Lucy Letby was a young nurse with no family commitment, who had built her life around the neonatal unit.
"She was often called in to help babies with severe health issues...she was more likely to be there to cover for clinically difficult babies."

The defence say Letby's lack of recollecting details in police interviews should be put into context, like other witnesses, who may not be able to recall anything beyond the notes they made at the time.
"Goodness knows how many babies she will have cared for over the years," Mr Myers said.

"We say there were problems with the way the unit performed which had nothing to do with Lucy Letby."
Examples of sub-optimal care for babies previously mentioned and conceded by the prosecution are relayed to the jury.
"There are many other examples of sub-optimal care of babies in this unit," Mr Myers.

The defence say the prosecution have referred how babies improved rapidly when moved to a tertiary unit - "when moved away from Lucy Letby"
The defence says the improvement could be because they had been "moved away from the Countess of Chester Hospital".
It is evidence that the unit "did not always deliver the level of care that it should have provided" and to blame Letby "is unfair and inaccurate".

The defence also refer to Dr Ravi Jayaram, and his 'concern' about Letby's behaviour as detailed by the prosecution in the opening.
"You may wonder what on earth that is all about.
"If Dr Jayaram had these suspicions, when did that start?
"You may think that if consultants had suspicions, then why did Letby continue?
"You may wonder if there was any basis for suspicion at all.
"You may think that suspicions by one or more consultants like that, if Letby is to blame, then that is fertile self-serving territory for an assumption of guilt to take hold."
Mr Myers said Letby became a "target" for blame.

Mr Myers: If the unit has "failed" in its care which has led to this "uncharateristic spike in deaths", you can imagine "pressures" which call for an explanation, 'distancing the blame from those running the hospital' through "confirmation bias".
"The blame is far too great for just one person,"
Mr Myers added.
"In that dock is a woman who says this is not her fault."

IN SUMMARY:
---Sometimes deteriorations are unexplained
---Many occasions when "Lucy Letby was simply not there" when harm was being alleged
---She was more likely than others to be there to cover for "clinically difficult babies
---There are many examples of sub-optimal care of babies in this unit
---Mr Myers said Letby became a "target" for blame/ through scape goating/ confirmation bias
---The blame is far too great for just one person

Here are defense points and cross examinations for Child A:

Child A:
The defence do not accept, for Child A, an air embolus was the cause, but one of "sub-optimal care", as a result of either "lack of fluids" or "various lines put into him, with potential to interfere with his heart rate".
You will hear in this case, that the air present after death does not indicate an air embolus."
Mr Myers said air present in the abdomen "can happen post-mortem".

CROSS EXAMINATION DAY /Day 4 of Evidence

Ben Myers KC, for the defence, is now questioning Miss Taylor.

Mr Myers: "Do you find that even with the notes, it can be difficult to recall what happened?"
Miss Taylor: "It is, but...in my witness statement, if I was not sure, I said I was not sure."

Mr Myers examines the staffing levels at the Countess of Chester Hospital neonatal unit.

'For babies in intensive care, it should be one nurse to one baby', he tells the court, and 'one nurse to two babies' for high-dependency babies, and 'one nurse to four babies' in the special care nursery room, he tells the court.
Rotas would be relayed to staff "a month in advance", Miss Taylor says.
"If they [the neonatal unit] were busy", then some nurses would be asked to come in "at short notice".

Miss Taylor explains the shift leader gives the hand-over to the new nurses coming in for the following shift in a 'huddle', lasting '10-15 minutes'. The shift leader would be a 'band 6 nurse'. The shift leader is "usually pre-allocated", but could change.

There would be a 'handover sheet' with babies' names and an outline of care provided the previous shift.

Mr Myers: "And that handover sheet would be kept by him or her throughout the shift?"
Miss Taylor: "Yes, that's correct."

Generally," that handover would last until about 8pm, the court hears.

Mr Myers explains that some duties "require two nurses", such as administering medication and checking it is correct.
Mr Myers points to a section of the intensive care unit chart for Child A, where a different nurse to the designated nurse has signed for the observations at 4am on June 8. The designated nurse has signed for other hours including 2am, 3am and 5am.
He asked Miss Taylor: "There is absolutely nothing unusual about that, is there?"
Miss Taylor responds: "No."

Mr Myers asks Miss Taylor about the layout of the Countess of Chester Hospital neonatal unit.

Mr Myers said Child A would have required "constant observation" despite being deemed "stable" in the neonatal unit. Miss Taylor agrees.
He added that pre-term babies would also be "prone to infection". Miss Taylor agrees.
Mr Myers: "They can be prone to collapses, can't they?"
Miss Taylor: "I don't know if I would agree with that, exactly."

Mr Myers said a baby fitted with a UVC would be 'intensive care'. Miss Taylor agrees. Child A had become an 'intensive care baby' during the day shift as he had required.

Mr Myers said Miss Taylor would have been looking after an intesive care baby (ITU), as well as another baby which required a lot of care - which falls outside the guidelines.
"In terms of ITU, they technically are intensive care, but not as intensive - some babies require a lot of hands-on, one-to-one care. Some technically become ITU, but in terms of care, they are more like HDU."

Mr Myers: "Were there, at the time, a lot of poorly babies?"
Miss Taylor said that particular shift was a busy one, she recalls. She accepts that an increased number of poorly babies coming into the unit would create an increased demand on nursing staff.

Mr Myers asks why a baby's temperature would not necessarily be recorded every hour on the chart.
Miss Taylor says the temperature records involve putting a thermometer under the baby's arm, which the "babies don't like", while a heart rate is done on the monitor, while
while the respiratory rate would be manually counted through observation.

Mr Myers asks if handling babies (for example, to take their temperature) could led to an increase in the baby's stress, which would lead to an increased risk of deterioration.
Miss Taylor: "...to a certain degree, yes."
She adds if a temperature is recorded for one hour in a stable reading, the baby's temperature would not necessarily be taken on the following hourly check.

Melanie Taylor's nursing note for June 8 is shown to the court, at 1pm.
It documents the insertion of the UVC for Child A.
Miss Taylor said she cannot remember the two attempts of insertion of the UVC, but sees it is made on her notes.
The note, written at 7.05pm, says: "UVC in wrong position, reinserted...again in wrong position. Cannula tissued. Doctors busy on ward 30. Aware no fluids running for a couple of hours. Long line inserted by Reg Harkness. awaiting X-ray. Remains settled on NCPAP. Enteral feeds of donor expressed breast milk started at 1ml/2hourly."

The intensive care chart is shown to the court, showing 'cannula tissued' at 4pm.
Miss Taylor explains she might have written 'cannula tissued' retrospectively, so it could be before or after 4pm when that was noted.
Mr Myers said Miss Taylor would have had to wait for a doctor to put a long line in.
Mr Myers: "You said it was very busy - and that caused a delay, didn't it?"
Miss Taylor: "Yes."

Mr Myers: "It's important to make sure the tip of the long line is in the right position, isn't it?"
"It's a sterilised procedure? It's very thin."
"Yes."
Miss Taylor says she's not too familiar with the long lines as she is not involved with the procedure.
The judge clarifies Mr Myers' question, asking if it is important to get fluid in once the long line is in place. Miss Taylor agrees.

Miss Taylor says she is not aware of anything that might have been running through the long line prior to the 8pm 10% dextrose administration.
Mr Myers adds "the conventional practice" is for fluids to be administered immediately in the long line after it is inserted.
"Yes. Ideally we would get an x-ray first."
Mr Myers says there was a delay because the doctor was delayed elsewhere.
Miss Taylor: "I think so."

Miss Taylor is asked about the retrospectively written note at 9.28pm on June 8, which begins.
"Observations stable, pink, well perfused. UVC still insitu, but in wrong position, to be used if no other access available.
"Long line inserted by reg Dr Harkness, secured, x-rayed. 10% dextrose run through and connected to long line."

An observation chart showing the respiration rate is 'elevating', Mr Myers says, throughout the day is shown to the court.
"Yes, a little," replies Miss Taylor.
A blood gas record chart shows the lactate levels had increased on the records of 12.13am, 6.37am and after 2pm, with levels at 1.6, 2.6 and 2.7. The latter two readings are, Mr Myers says, outside of the desired area. No other records are given.

Miss Taylor says she does not know what time the long line was inserted.
Mr Myers says there was a delay in getting the x-ray.
Miss Taylor: "From memory, I cannot remember the timings, but possibly."

Letby's notes, written retrospectively at 7.56am on June 9, are shown to the court. They begin: "Glucose commenced via long line...UVC remained in situ from day shift, instructed line not to be used by registrar.
"[Child A] noted to be jittery, was due to have blood gas and blood sugar taken.
"At 8.20pm [Child A] hands and feet noted to be white. Centrally pale and poor perfusion..."
Mr Myers: "He should have been getting fluids during this four-hour period, shouldn't he?

Miss Taylor says she cannot remember whether it was herself or Lucy Letby who administered the fluids.
Mr Myers said "two nurses" are involved in the process, and one has to be in sterile conditions.
Miss Taylor: "I honestly don't know whether it was me or Lucy [who was in sterile clothing]."

The defence say it was Miss Taylor who was the one in sterile clothing for the fluid administration, with Lucy Letby assisting. Miss Taylor says it could have been that, or the other way around.

Mr Myers: "When the deterioration commenced, you were at your computer making notes?"
"Yes."
A note by Miss Taylor is made at 8.18pm for Child B.
"It shows you were at the computer at 8.18pm?"
"Yes."
"Was Dr Harkness also in that room?"
"I don't remember."
"You could see where [Child A] incubator was, and the alarm sounded."
"Yes."
"When you went over to Child A, could you recall whether he was breathing or not?"
"I don't recall."
"Would it be fair to say that what followed makes it difficult to recall - that there is a lot of activity surrounding the cot?"
"When you realise that extra support is needed, yes."

Mr Myers: "Lucy Letby went to support the family at one point, do you recall that?"
Miss Taylor: "I don't remember that."
Miss Taylor says if Letby was the designated nurse, she would be involved with assisting the resuscitation attempts.
She adds that designated nurses would often be the one to provide support to the family afterwards.
Memory boxes, Miss Taylor says, are collated with permission of the family.
Mr Myers: "Do you recall about whether there was any discussion about whether the fluid bag should be kept?"
Miss Taylor: "I don't recall that, no."

Miss Taylor is presented with an interview transcript, dated February 7, 2018, one of a series of interviews she had involving babies in her care at the Countess of Chester Hospital.
The interview says Miss Taylor believed that sometimes, babies collapsed with no explanation.
Miss Taylor: "When I said that, that is what I believed to be true - whether that's my rational brain, trying to rationalise what happened."
Mr Myers reads from the statement: "It's a shock to us, because we have such a low rate."
Miss Taylor: "That is what I believed, that was my opinion at the time. I tried to rationalise what happened at the time. Whether that's true - I'm not medical - but that was my opinion at the time."

[My note: Redirect - Prosecution]

The prosecution say this interview concerned a different set of twins.

Miss Taylor: "I feel like I shouldn't have said that - I tried to rationalise that, because as a nurse, that is what I tried to do."

The prosecution shows the intensive care chart to the court again, focusing on the feeding records between 4pm-8pm.
The feeding of expressed breast milk at 4pm and 6pm were "trophy feeds". Miss Taylor explains small amounts of food are for the stomach to be lined so it could help get the stomach used to future feeds.
A 6pm 'output' of 25mls of urine is noted. Miss Taylor says that is weighed via the nappy - a "tried and trusted method", the prosecution say.
"Does that show fluids were passing through [Child A]?"
"That does."
"Does it follow that fluids that go out must have gone in?"
"It does that fluids that have gone in through the day, yes."

Blood gases records were noted by the defence as "being outside the optimum range".
The prosecution say with those records in mind, was Child A still 'stable'?
She explains the elevated respiratory rate was not uncommon, and other symptoms, such as the baby grunting, would be noted as part of a bigger picture. The elevated respiratory rate and blood gas level would not be, in isolation, uncommon, but still "relevant".
Miss Taylor says she does not remember Child A being "jittery", and had not documented it in her notes. She says if she had seen Child A being jittery, she would have noted it.

She adds it would be considered as part of a bigger picture. "It does not necessarily [mean] a concerning cause, but it is something to consider."

Yeh i think the same. It’s such a mess and difficult to make heads nor tails of. I’m not sure I want to head into that hole without some anchor to earth or maps and a compass. I am full on baffled. If I get lost in there I’m going to be so angry if no one comes and gets me.

i will make some observations though. I’m confident disassociation was a element in the making of this. Fitting for a high stress situation. I’m confident that the differences in colour are representing a contrast in the experience of the writer and I think the arrows may point to it as well, you see the arrows pointing up and down and have a line through the middle the line may represent a partition between positive and negative. It also seems the red and black ink are written at different times the same as the passages in the confession note. So she must have written the black ink first then the red. Maybe it’s presentation as messy might be explained by that. I’m sure it’s a pink pen as well, the red is just layered pink. I think the “hello” is probably indicative of associated positivity as well and may well be attached to the names that are close to it.

jeez It’s so messy. I’ve never seen anything like it at all. Very very difficult to make sense of. That’s my observations so far maybe with more thought there may be some other things to elucidate.
Across the the middle of the note scribbled is the lettering ICU.
Re insulin cases

I seem to remember reading that those cases were added to charges against her after 1st arrest in 2018.

Obviously the investigators were checking everything connected to her.
She might have been experimenting, deflecting from previous methods.
Who knows?

JMO

The insulin was added to the charges later but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that it wasn't discovered before April 2018. It could have been discovered but they delayed raising it at that point. The insulin was pretty incriminating for the Trust also. I also wonder if they spotted it at the point that CoC did their own investigation and whether it was one of the things that caused the independent inquiry considered 'unexplainable' and deserving of further investigation.

Here are defense points and cross examinations for Child A:

Child A:
The defence do not accept, for Child A, an air embolus was the cause, but one of "sub-optimal care", as a result of either "lack of fluids" or "various lines put into him, with potential to interfere with his heart rate".
You will hear in this case, that the air present after death does not indicate an air embolus."
Mr Myers said air present in the abdomen "can happen post-mortem".

CROSS EXAMINATION DAY /Day 4 of Evidence

Ben Myers KC, for the defence, is now questioning Miss Taylor.

Mr Myers: "Do you find that even with the notes, it can be difficult to recall what happened?"
Miss Taylor: "It is, but...in my witness statement, if I was not sure, I said I was not sure."

Mr Myers examines the staffing levels at the Countess of Chester Hospital neonatal unit.

'For babies in intensive care, it should be one nurse to one baby', he tells the court, and 'one nurse to two babies' for high-dependency babies, and 'one nurse to four babies' in the special care nursery room, he tells the court.
Rotas would be relayed to staff "a month in advance", Miss Taylor says.
"If they [the neonatal unit] were busy", then some nurses would be asked to come in "at short notice".

Miss Taylor explains the shift leader gives the hand-over to the new nurses coming in for the following shift in a 'huddle', lasting '10-15 minutes'. The shift leader would be a 'band 6 nurse'. The shift leader is "usually pre-allocated", but could change.

There would be a 'handover sheet' with babies' names and an outline of care provided the previous shift.

Mr Myers: "And that handover sheet would be kept by him or her throughout the shift?"
Miss Taylor: "Yes, that's correct."

Generally," that handover would last until about 8pm, the court hears.

Mr Myers explains that some duties "require two nurses", such as administering medication and checking it is correct.
Mr Myers points to a section of the intensive care unit chart for Child A, where a different nurse to the designated nurse has signed for the observations at 4am on June 8. The designated nurse has signed for other hours including 2am, 3am and 5am.
He asked Miss Taylor: "There is absolutely nothing unusual about that, is there?"
Miss Taylor responds: "No."

Mr Myers asks Miss Taylor about the layout of the Countess of Chester Hospital neonatal unit.

Mr Myers said Child A would have required "constant observation" despite being deemed "stable" in the neonatal unit. Miss Taylor agrees.
He added that pre-term babies would also be "prone to infection". Miss Taylor agrees.
Mr Myers: "They can be prone to collapses, can't they?"
Miss Taylor: "I don't know if I would agree with that, exactly."

Mr Myers said a baby fitted with a UVC would be 'intensive care'. Miss Taylor agrees. Child A had become an 'intensive care baby' during the day shift as he had required.

Mr Myers said Miss Taylor would have been looking after an intesive care baby (ITU), as well as another baby which required a lot of care - which falls outside the guidelines.
"In terms of ITU, they technically are intensive care, but not as intensive - some babies require a lot of hands-on, one-to-one care. Some technically become ITU, but in terms of care, they are more like HDU."

Mr Myers: "Were there, at the time, a lot of poorly babies?"
Miss Taylor said that particular shift was a busy one, she recalls. She accepts that an increased number of poorly babies coming into the unit would create an increased demand on nursing staff.

Mr Myers asks why a baby's temperature would not necessarily be recorded every hour on the chart.
Miss Taylor says the temperature records involve putting a thermometer under the baby's arm, which the "babies don't like", while a heart rate is done on the monitor, while
while the respiratory rate would be manually counted through observation.

Mr Myers asks if handling babies (for example, to take their temperature) could led to an increase in the baby's stress, which would lead to an increased risk of deterioration.
Miss Taylor: "...to a certain degree, yes."
She adds if a temperature is recorded for one hour in a stable reading, the baby's temperature would not necessarily be taken on the following hourly check.

Melanie Taylor's nursing note for June 8 is shown to the court, at 1pm.
It documents the insertion of the UVC for Child A.
Miss Taylor said she cannot remember the two attempts of insertion of the UVC, but sees it is made on her notes.
The note, written at 7.05pm, says: "UVC in wrong position, reinserted...again in wrong position. Cannula tissued. Doctors busy on ward 30. Aware no fluids running for a couple of hours. Long line inserted by Reg Harkness. awaiting X-ray. Remains settled on NCPAP. Enteral feeds of donor expressed breast milk started at 1ml/2hourly."

The intensive care chart is shown to the court, showing 'cannula tissued' at 4pm.
Miss Taylor explains she might have written 'cannula tissued' retrospectively, so it could be before or after 4pm when that was noted.
Mr Myers said Miss Taylor would have had to wait for a doctor to put a long line in.
Mr Myers: "You said it was very busy - and that caused a delay, didn't it?"

Mr Myers: "It's important to make sure the tip of the long line is in the right position, isn't it?"
"It's a sterilised procedure? It's very thin."
"Yes."
Miss Taylor says she's not too familiar with the long lines as she is not involved with the procedure.
The judge clarifies Mr Myers' question, asking if it is important to get fluid in once the long line is in place. Miss Taylor agrees.

Miss Taylor says she is not aware of anything that might have been running through the long line prior to the 8pm 10% dextrose administration.
Mr Myers adds "the conventional practice" is for fluids to be administered immediately in the long line after it is inserted.
"Yes. Ideally we would get an x-ray first."
Mr Myers says there was a delay because the doctor was delayed elsewhere.
Miss Taylor: "I think so."

Miss Taylor is asked about the retrospectively written note at 9.28pm on June 8, which begins.
"Observations stable, pink, well perfused. UVC still insitu, but in wrong position, to be used if no other access available.
"Long line inserted by reg Dr Harkness, secured, x-rayed. 10% dextrose run through and connected to long line."

An observation chart showing the respiration rate is 'elevating', Mr Myers says, throughout the day is shown to the court.
"Yes, a little," replies Miss Taylor.
A blood gas record chart shows the lactate levels had increased on the records of 12.13am, 6.37am and after 2pm, with levels at 1.6, 2.6 and 2.7. The latter two readings are, Mr Myers says, outside of the desired area. No other records are given.

Miss Taylor says she does not know what time the long line was inserted.
Mr Myers says there was a delay in getting the x-ray.
Miss Taylor: "From memory, I cannot remember the timings, but possibly."

Letby's notes, written retrospectively at 7.56am on June 9, are shown to the court. They begin: "Glucose commenced via long line...UVC remained in situ from day shift, instructed line not to be used by registrar.
"[Child A] noted to be jittery, was due to have blood gas and blood sugar taken.
"At 8.20pm [Child A] hands and feet noted to be white. Centrally pale and poor perfusion..."
Mr Myers: "He should have been getting fluids during this four-hour period, shouldn't he?

Miss Taylor says she cannot remember whether it was herself or Lucy Letby who administered the fluids.
Mr Myers said "two nurses" are involved in the process, and one has to be in sterile conditions.
Miss Taylor: "I honestly don't know whether it was me or Lucy [who was in sterile clothing]."

The defence say it was Miss Taylor who was the one in sterile clothing for the fluid administration, with Lucy Letby assisting. Miss Taylor says it could have been that, or the other way around.

Mr Myers: "When the deterioration commenced, you were at your computer making notes?"
"Yes."
A note by Miss Taylor is made at 8.18pm for Child B.
"It shows you were at the computer at 8.18pm?"
"Yes."
"Was Dr Harkness also in that room?"
"I don't remember."
"You could see where [Child A] incubator was, and the alarm sounded."
"Yes."
"When you went over to Child A, could you recall whether he was breathing or not?"
"I don't recall."
"Would it be fair to say that what followed makes it difficult to recall - that there is a lot of activity surrounding the cot?"
"When you realise that extra support is needed, yes."

Mr Myers: "Lucy Letby went to support the family at one point, do you recall that?"
Miss Taylor: "I don't remember that."
Miss Taylor says if Letby was the designated nurse, she would be involved with assisting the resuscitation attempts.
She adds that designated nurses would often be the one to provide support to the family afterwards.
Memory boxes, Miss Taylor says, are collated with permission of the family.
Mr Myers: "Do you recall about whether there was any discussion about whether the fluid bag should be kept?"
Miss Taylor: "I don't recall that, no."

Miss Taylor is presented with an interview transcript, dated February 7, 2018, one of a series of interviews she had involving babies in her care at the Countess of Chester Hospital.
The interview says Miss Taylor believed that sometimes, babies collapsed with no explanation.
Miss Taylor: "When I said that, that is what I believed to be true - whether that's my rational brain, trying to rationalise what happened."
Mr Myers reads from the statement: "It's a shock to us, because we have such a low rate."
Miss Taylor: "That is what I believed, that was my opinion at the time. I tried to rationalise what happened at the time. Whether that's true - I'm not medical - but that was my opinion at the time."

[My note: Redirect - Prosecution]

The prosecution say this interview concerned a different set of twins.

Miss Taylor: "I feel like I shouldn't have said that - I tried to rationalise that, because as a nurse, that is what I tried to do."

The prosecution shows the intensive care chart to the court again, focusing on the feeding records between 4pm-8pm.
The feeding of expressed breast milk at 4pm and 6pm were "trophy feeds". Miss Taylor explains small amounts of food are for the stomach to be lined so it could help get the stomach used to future feeds.
A 6pm 'output' of 25mls of urine is noted. Miss Taylor says that is weighed via the nappy - a "tried and trusted method", the prosecution say.
"Does that show fluids were passing through [Child A]?"
"That does."
"Does it follow that fluids that go out must have gone in?"
"It does that fluids that have gone in through the day, yes."

Blood gases records were noted by the defence as "being outside the optimum range".
The prosecution say with those records in mind, was Child A still 'stable'?
She explains the elevated respiratory rate was not uncommon, and other symptoms, such as the baby grunting, would be noted as part of a bigger picture. The elevated respiratory rate and blood gas level would not be, in isolation, uncommon, but still "relevant".
Miss Taylor says she does not remember Child A being "jittery", and had not documented it in her notes. She says if she had seen Child A being jittery, she would have noted it.

She adds it would be considered as part of a bigger picture. "It does not necessarily [mean] a concerning cause, but it is something to consider."

So Myers is going to explain how child A did not have an air embolism and it sounds like his case is going to rest on the air being 'released' after death. Yet we have already heard that this only happens if/ when the body has been ravaged by catastrophic infection, and even then only in 25% of cases. So exactly what was this life threatening infection that child A had, that none of the doctors were aware of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jkaw