UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Child I was 'looking different' and was looking around, looking like 'a full-term baby', like 'she should be at home in her bed'.

"Child I improved and was transferred back to the Countess on October 17.
Why, oh why wasn't she taken home??
It looks as if Mum had a premonition of disaster :(

Lucy Letby: nurse offered to take photos of baby she had killed, court hears

Mid-September -

"The jury heard how the baby, who can only be named as Child I, had initially been unwell owing to her prematurity but that her mother felt she was well enough to go home when she was about six weeks old.

“I started to notice that she was looking different,” she said. “She was looking around the room now, taking it all in. I was able to sit her on my knee. I remember looking at her and thinking ‘We are going home’. She looked like a full-term baby. She didn’t look frail or small.”

Chester Standard -Recap: Lucy Letby trial, Wednesday, January 25

"Child I was 'looking different' and was looking around, looking like 'a full-term baby', like 'she should be at home in her bed'.

Child I 'didn't look herself' and it was like she was 'looking through me', the mother said to her mother."

--

"The prosecution say there were signs of "earlier hypoxic ischaemic damage – in other words, the earlier attempts to kill her had caused brain damage resulting from a shortage of oxygen." (opening speech)

--

We heard similar statements from baby G's father:

"However, the father said, he "noticed something had changed about [Child G]."

He said while, prior to Child G's projectile vomiting incident, he would speak to her and she would smile in response. After the incident, he would speak to her, but she would not smile in response."

My heart really breaks for all these babies and the potential lives they could have lived. Reading the court transcripts I just want them to have never left Arrowe Park once they started getting better, but to have stayed there till they went home.

The thing I noticed with todays hearing; whilst it’s completely understandable it was reported her parents allege she is innocent (she may well be or not etc), I have to wonder how they would know that for certain;
because I get the impression- whilst it’s been heard in evidence she moved for uni and never went back to Hereford- (and she may well be “close” to her parents), it appears she doesn’t actually see them that often. I could be completely wrong of course but today just feels as though she’s somewhat disconnected from them in some sense.

Her mother says: “I could cry”
That sounds like someone who hasn’t seen their child for some while.
The name jane is also interesting; Dad and Jane (step-sister perhaps?), jealously, attention? All MOO of course if guilty.

Lucy Letby: nurse offered to take photos of baby she had killed, court hears

Mid-September -

"The jury heard how the baby, who can only be named as Child I, had initially been unwell owing to her prematurity but that her mother felt she was well enough to go home when she was about six weeks old.

“I started to notice that she was looking different,” she said. “She was looking around the room now, taking it all in. I was able to sit her on my knee. I remember looking at her and thinking ‘We are going home’. She looked like a full-term baby. She didn’t look frail or small.”

Chester Standard -Recap: Lucy Letby trial, Wednesday, January 25

Child I 'didn't look herself' and it was like she was 'looking through me', the mother said to her mother."

--

"The prosecution say there were signs of "earlier hypoxic ischaemic damage – in other words, the earlier attempts to kill her had caused brain damage resulting from a shortage of oxygen." (opening speech)

--

We heard similar statements from baby G's father:

"However, the father said, he "noticed something had changed about [Child G]."

He said while, prior to Child G's projectile vomiting incident, he would speak to her and she would smile in response. After the incident, he would speak to her, but she would not smile in response."

And both babies has been in the hospitlal at the same time and at one point in the same room as Baby G's father mentioned Baby I, and Baby I's mother mentioned Baby G:

"The girl’s father told police he had noticed a change in his daughter following this incident. A statement read to jurors said: “When she had the vomit I could see that she was different as she didn’t respond to my voice the same any more.”

The father said he asked doctors if there was a virus on the ward because another baby girl – known as Child I – in the same room had fallen ill in the same period. Child I is one of seven babies allegedly murdered by Letby between June 2015 and June 2016. Child G’s father told officers: “The consultant assured me there wasn’t a virus and nothing was wrong with the ward.”

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/dec/01/lucy-letby-tried-murder-baby-celebration-banner-court-told

And Baby I's mother mentioned Baby G:

"Child I was moved to room 2 at the neonatal unit, where the mother met the mother of another baby [Child G]."

and:

"The mother recalled Child G had also been poorly 'a number of times' at this time in mid September."

Last edited:
"she said she didn’t know exactly what an air embolism is..."

Where did you get the word 'exactly' from? I have never seen that word included in her answer. Is that speculation on your part?
I think this was actually included in the police report. Didn’t she tell them something like “she didn’t know exactly what an Ae was”

The thing I noticed with todays hearing; whilst it’s completely understandable it was reported her parents allege she is innocent (she may well be or not etc), I have to wonder how they would know that for certain;
because I get the impression- whilst it’s been heard in evidence she moved for uni and never went back to Hereford- (and she may well be “close” to her parents), it appears she doesn’t actually see them that often. I could be completely wrong of course but today just feels as though she’s somewhat disconnected from them in some sense.

Her mother says: “I could cry”
That sounds like someone who hasn’t seen their child for some while.
The name jane is also interesting; Dad and Jane (step-sister perhaps?), jealously, attention? All MOO of course if guilty.
I agree.
Even the phrase "Guess who is coming...?" sounds as if this person wasn't a frequent guest.

JMO

Same type of machine maybe but not the same one. I would have thought the numbers of machines would be allocated by the number of beds. Different rooms, different beds, different machines. For instance ten beds in room 3 with a machine per bed, 6 beds in room 1 with 6 machines.

might be an exception with something like the machine used to treat jaundice though, no baby would need it continuously as a baby who needs continuous monitoring would.

that’s still besides the point though. Jmo.
Who cares about the machines? There is no suggestion that any machines have malfunctioned or have anything to do with any of the collapses, potential AE or similar.

Its not been part of the trial and the defence have never mentioned it.

Its either LL on trial, the hospital or otherwise unspecified individual IMO.

2:11pm

The text messages related to one of Letby's female colleagues having an argument with another nurse who 'snapped at her'.
Letby messages Jennifer Jones-Key to say: "I am a bit up and down. Have not had nice shifts and not been feeling supported by some people."
Letby messages another colleague: "Let's run away!!!" and the subject turns to moving away to New Zealand, which one of the nurses is planning to do.
Letby said she could not do so as it would mean leaving her parents behind, they would be "completely devastated".
She said she had come to Chester for university and did not go back to Hereford, and added: "I feel guilty being so far away often", but it was what she wanted.

2:14pm

Letby messages colleague Alison Ventress at 10.09pm: "Families are tough aren't they!" followed by two sad face emojis.
Alison Ventress replied: "Some more than others!..."

2:17pm

Letby messages Jennifer Jones-Key to say she had been originally taken off the September 30 shift for working the previous Wednesday night, but was later put back on the shift.

BBM. I wrongly assumed LL was living with her parents. Was she living solo or in a flat-share with others? Or don't we know this?

actually with the closure of the unit to anything other than level 1 babies, there is the potential that those machines relevant would have not been in use after. At which point any routine inspections on the machines would have identified the problem and fixed it. But that’s besides the point anyway.

And yes machines are no different to doctors, far from perfect.
These machines are definitely used in a Level 1 unit. I've had three premature babies who all spent some time in a level 1 unit, one of them after being in NICU. All three had infusions in SCBU (level 1). It's a fairly standard piece of equipment.

What I find absolutely mind boggling and ghoulish even, is that somebody offers to take photos of a DEAD baby and smiles when talking to mourning parents.

Sorry folks, but it is simply beyond my comprehension :(

JMO

What I find absolutely mind boggling and ghoulish even, is that somebody offers to take photos of a DEAD baby and smiles when talking to mourning parents.

Sorry folks, but it is simply beyond my comprehension :(

JMO
Photographs are pretty standard, I think there must be some protocol in the NHS too (I was even offered a memory box after a miscarriage).

The smiling, well, I think some people are equipped to deal with people who are grieving and some not so. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Its either LL on trial, the hospital or otherwise unspecified individual IMO.
To be honest many hospitals use these and various machines up and down the uk every day. Most I would wage a bet on they are probably by the same manufacturer and function very similarly. If these machines were causing as many issues as Coc had experienced in the neonatal unit, I would imagine there would be far more hospitals raising concerns and suggesting a manufacturer fault. Many people poorly, babies included would be in a precarious situation if these machines were as temperamental as is suggested. Moo

"Earlier in her statement, she also described how she had never had "much to do with" Ms Letby.
"She always appeared reserved and never interacted with the other parents," Child I's mother added."

Lucy Letby: Nurse murdered baby on fourth attempt, court told
I'm catching up so I'm sorry if someone else has already said this, but wasn't it Child I's parents who LL sent a sympathy card and said something like "you don't normally become so close to parents"?

Or am I getting mixed up with another baby?

So furthering my posts about the two unexplained cardiac arrests for baby H. I’m wondering if a desaturation could have potentially caused them if left untreated for long enough?
if an air bubble will stop oxygenated blood getting to the heart wouldn’t the same principle apply to no oxygen in the blood caused by the desat?

My response was posited as an example of why a doctor wouldn’t need to suspect someone to have thought that a air embolism was a theoretical possibility considering but I’m not even sure, of the symptoms. Jmo.

Last edited:
BBM. I wrongly assumed LL was living with her parents. Was she living solo or in a flat-share with others? Or don't we know this?
I think we don't 100% know, we do know she bought a house during this time period but I don't think it's ever been confirmed if she lived there alone or not. I assumed so but it's very possible she had a lodger/roommate or a partner living with her and it's just not been mentioned.

My response was posited as an example of why a doctor wouldn’t need to suspect someone to have thought that a air embolism was a theoretical possibility considering but I’m not even sure, of the symptoms. Jmo.
I think that those of us who are not medically trained doctors are just spinning our wheels when trying to criticise their lack of a proper diagnosis, in real time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pennypiper