GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I took a step back over the past couple of days because quite frankly this thread was becoming too snidey with sly digs coming from all directions. However I have still been following the thread and trial and have a few thoughts which I shall go and type up now. Overall though I do think the the prosecution case is quite poor for everyone aside from NM. On fact I'm suprised the CPS allowed some of the charges...

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I agree. I guess the problem is that the police send the case to the CPS so charges can be pressed before the entire case is put together. By the time the trial comes around, things could have moved on significantly and the case may look quite different. It's a shame the CPS aren't involved at a later stage as well to make a decision as to whether charges should still go ahead. It would be good to have that sense check on things to make sure that actually there is still a realistic prospect of conviction.

Siobhan Robbins Verified account  ‏@SiobhanRobbins · 1m1 minute ago
Statement read from Darren Galsworthy, Becky's dad "Rebecca was very rude,abusive and disrespectful to Anjie".Anjie,her stepmum has MS

Poor Becky. Its a shame these quotes have to come out now, because its adding weight to NM's justification for hurting her, and as she isn't here to defend herself, we don't know what the reasons were behind her attitude.

However, from the outside, she lived in a house which was pretty scruffy and unkempt- which may have caused embarrassment, she didn't live with her mum for whatever reason, she had to put up with NM and SH, who clearly didn't like her, coming round for hours at a time, she'd had mental health issues (anorexia) and NM graphically describing how he'd kill her. I can see why she would take things out on Anjie, seeing as it was her son who was making life a misery for Becky. If SH is to be believed and NM is controlling, violent and scary, then Becky could hardly have it out with him.

I think poor Becky had a pretty miserable time in that home :(

First time I've followed a trial and will now show my ignorance.

How does the Defense usually happen? I'm wondering here because nobody has taken the stand yet, and it seems general opinion (here) is that is the way it will continue.

At least the Prosecution have statements and vids, so what is the Defense likely to use? They've had the chance of cross examination already I think, so what Defense evidence is possible?

eta - asking because I absolutely have no idea how these things run.

I was looking to see what happened with Ian Huntley and Maxine Carr as this seems a similar case, in that it's a couple on trial with the male admitting accidental killing and the female claiming not to be involved (though Carr also lied for him) I'm wondering if they'll try the same approach here.
The defense called Huntley as their first witness, and he described how he had accidentally knocked Holly Wells into the bath, while helping her control a nosebleed, and had accidentally suffocated Chapman when she started to scream, and he had tried to silence her. On cross-examination the prosecution described his latest version as "rubbish."Carr's testimony began three days later, when it was claimed that she had no control over the events on the day of the murder, and that, had she known of Huntley's murderous intent, she would never have lied to protect him.Following her testimony, the prosecution presented their closing statements, claiming that both Carr and Huntley were convincing liars, and also that Huntley's motive for murdering the girls was sexual, although physical evidence of assault was impossible to prove.After five days of deliberation, the jury rejected Huntley's claims that the girls had died accidentally and, on December 17, 2003, returned a majority verdict of guilty on both charges.

http://www.biography.com/people/ian-huntley-17172122#trial-and-aftermath

Huntley was found guilty of two charges of murder and Carr was cleared of assisting an offender but found guilty of perverting the course of justice.

Re the Defence side .........
does anyone know - being as there are 4 defendants - if there is a protocol to be followed as to which one of them would be called first ?

( that is of course if any of them choose to give evidence, which I doubt they will )

I'm confused as to why nobody has taken the stand - just videos and written statements. Is that usual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so I took a step back over the past couple of days because quite frankly this thread was becoming too snidey with sly digs coming from all directions. However I have still been following the thread and trial and have a few thoughts which I shall go and type up now. Overall though I do think the the prosecution case is quite poor for everyone aside from NM. On fact I'm suprised the CPS allowed some of the charges...

Same. Re the snide comments. I've been reading and listening more today. Catching up.
Seems that things written in text format can also be taken the wrong way. The interpretation is lost in translation.

Forgive me if I seem wrong. But IMOO. The case against NM seems his fate is sealed. It's going to be what he's found guilty of finally. Will deliver his sentence.
The case of SH is not so clear cut. And it's the complexity of putting together vital snippets of testimonies. Which will prove only then. What the Jury finds. .. toughie..

If I were on the jury I'd want NM and SH to be witnesses for the defence so they could be cross examined and we'd hear more about their explanations... but if I were SH and NM's defence lawyers I don't think I'd want them to be cross examined, as they could dig themselves deeper.

I agree. I guess the problem is that the police send the case to the CPS so charges can be pressed before the entire case is put together. By the time the trial comes around, things could have moved on significantly and the case may look quite different. It's a shame the CPS aren't involved at a later stage as well to make a decision as to whether charges should still go ahead. It would be good to have that sense check on things to make sure that actually there is still a realistic prospect of conviction.

The CPS must have been involved when the additional charges of murder, conspiracy to kidnap etc were made against SH in June though. Something must have led to that. I thought it might be that during her early March interview she denied having any discussions with NM about kidnap. And that it was only much later as a result of phone/device analysis that the kidnap texts came to light. I couldn't really tell from today's tweets when they found out about the kidnap texts though.

If I were on the jury I'd want NM and SH to be witnesses for the defence so they could be cross examined and we'd hear more about their explanations... but if I were SH and NM's defence lawyers I don't think I'd want them to be cross examined, as they could dig themselves deeper.

If I was accused of a crime I hadn't done, I would want to be questioned about it, to prove my innocence. I'd want the chance to say I hadn't done it.

Yes, like you, the only reason I can think of for someone not taking the stand, is the risk that they might land themselves in it by slipping up!

First time I've followed a trial and will now show my ignorance.

How does the Defense usually happen? I'm wondering here because nobody has taken the stand yet, and it seems general opinion (here) is that is the way it will continue.

At least the Prosecution have statements and vids, so what is the Defense likely to use? They've had the chance of cross examination already I think, so what Defense evidence is possible?

eta - asking because I absolutely have no idea how these things run.

Possibly their own 'experts' in forensics, tech/phone experts, maybe friends of defendants to show good Character, Psychs/Doctors with regard to Autism etc, Domestic Abuse Advisers maybe. Anyone really that will either lessen the evidence given by the Prosecution and show Defendants in good light. With regard to the 'assistors' they may also have others who spoke to them that week and will show any connection with NM was purely innocent, mates doing a favour etc

Re the Defence side .........
does anyone know - being as there are 4 defendants - if there is a protocol to be followed as to which one of them would be called first ?

( that is of course if any of them choose to give evidence, which I doubt they will )

its usually the one at the top of the indictment. So likely to be NM followed by SH.

If I was accused of a crime I hadn't done, I would want to be questioned about it, to prove my innocence. I'd want the chance to say I hadn't done it.

Yes, like you, the only reason I can think of for someone not taking the stand, is the risk that they might land themselves in it by slipping up!

True. I'd want to stand up and take questions because I'd know I'd done nothing wrong. You also get people like Ian Huntley and Mark Bridger who will take the stand because they believe they can lie well enough to convince people of their innocence.

I so agree, and with ColourPurple's post you quoted.

SH's defense has been non existent so far imo, which is why I queried if she (or any of them) are likely to go into the witness box.

I understand the burden of proof lies with the prosecution, but again OMO, seems to me there is quite a bit of circumstantial evidence against her and her stories are conflicting. I feel someone is lying here !

I've missed your posts! Hopefully the catty-ness seems to have stopped. It is a shame when it happens as we ALL have a right to state our own views whether they are weird, bizarre or spot-on. That's what makes it good, the more who take part the more possibilities arise IMO.
Do you mean charges relating to SH? I was thinking similar but I wonder if the Pro's go for as many as they can get in and hope for the best outcome. I think this was such an emotive case with huge Public outpouring so maybe they didn't want to risk anyone getting away?
I was just thinking, now we've heard most of the facts it's not as I thought. Not making light in anyway. I felt that SH was veering towards Not Guilty earlier today and still think that will be the likely outcome BUT, I just CANNOT believe that she knew 'NOTHING'. I would have more sympathy for her If she had said she had a feeling but wasn't sure or too scared to ask. But she blatantly lies about parts of it.......Who knows, I'll probably change my mind again tomorrow!:thinking:

:loveyou: GET WELL & COME BACK RETRIBUTION I'D LOVE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS

A threesome, just regular sex?
I must have led a sheltered life as I wouldn't agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The CPS must have been involved when the additional charges of murder, conspiracy to kidnap etc were made against SH in June though. Something must have led to that. I thought it might be that during her early March interview she denied having any discussions with NM about kidnap. And that it was only much later as a result of phone/device analysis that the kidnap texts came to light. I couldn't really tell from today's tweets when they found out about the kidnap texts though.

Yes, there must have been additional evidence for the extra charges but I don't think they will have reassed the first charges.

ITV Becky Trial ‏@ITVBeckyTrial · 32 secs33 seconds ago
SH says she is 'appalled and disgusted' that NM killed #beckywatts and was angry with him for doing it

ITV Becky Trial ‏@ITVBeckyTrial · 2 mins2 minutes ago
She said she 'can't even look at him' knowing what he did #beckywatts

If she had only found that morning that he had killed her, I find it strange that she would say she can't even look at him and also she used present tense in 'is appalled' and past in ' was angry with him for doing it'

Hope the above makes sense.

Thinking about it I'm not sure they have enough to find either of them guilty of "conspiracy to kidnap" in relation to Becky . As somebody else pointed out lack of evidence to prove that they conspired to kidnap her together could be due to the fact that they were together most of the time, before, during and after the "kidnap" so could have spoken openly about it in person to each other rather than leaving any traces on mobiles. Still... I don't think theres enough to convict them on that.

I just cannot believe SH knew nothing, nor queried anything. I would like to see the vid of her after she had been charged, and the one nearly 2 months later. I truly haven't made up my mind yet and await the defense. (By the way, am I the only one to use the English spelling :thinking: ??? )

We see nothing of what is happening in court, and we only get snippets so from an outside point of view it is very, very, difficult to judge imo.

I only hope the jury take their time, and have the evidence in chronological order - following here it appears to be presented in bits and pieces and to me it is sometimes difficult to follow. I don't take notes though. !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseHase