Found Deceased UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London - Clapham Common area, 3 March 2021 *Arrests* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think possibly the trial will have to take place within 6 months because of WC being in custody. There will be pressure on to get on with it.
I’d be surprised if it was as early as that. As has already been said, there are various considerations, such as existing trials already scheduled, length of trial - the longer the trial, the harder it is to find a short notice space - and I’d expect this to be at least two weeks, given there’ll probably be a lot of legal argument, plus availability of counsel and a suitable judge. Also depends on any further developments, such as other possible offences coming to light. Hopefully it’ll be earlier, but given we’re half way through March, I’d expect early 2022.

I think it may have all ended very quickly.

This is one of the big unanswered questions for me, how long she remained alive after being placed in the car. I’m not so sure it ended quickly, but he could have stopped somewhere else on the way and where she was found was just the location chosen to hide the evidence. If this was the case she would have likely been transported deceased in the boot for most of the journey. A struggle whilst driving on the motorway, even if handcuffed, could have caused the car to swerve all over the place.

It’s common for the police to first charge a suspect with kidnap whilst they’re gathering enough evidence for a murder charge to stick. Even if he only took her a few metres against her will it’s still kidnap. It doesn’t mean she was definitely taken on a long journey alive.

I think it may have all ended very quickly.
I think they must have evidence to make the charge. IMO it won't be dropped, it adds to the seriousness of the crime and therefore potentially a longer sentence.

Becky Watts killer was convicted of Conspiracy to Kidnap, as well as murder, and received 33 years.

A man was convicted of kidnapping and murdering his ex-girlfriend a few months ago, and received minimum 25 years: 'Self-centred, calculating and evil' Andrew Pearson jailed for life for murder of ex-girlfriend Natalie Harker - Richmondshire Today

"The judge said he was has satisfied Pearson had planned to kidnap his former girlfriend.

“This was a case that did involve planning. It was not accident that you Andrew Pearson were there lying in wait for Natalie on the day concerned...Your conduct towards Natalie meant that she died a lonely and undignified death"

Unsurprising to see that WC began his career with the Met in Bromley, as it's the most convenient borough for someone commuting from Kent.

It's worth highlighting that the Indecent Exposure incident on Feb 28th, reportedly at Swanley McDonald's, falls under that borough. (it's very much where Kent meets London)

I wonder whether the referral to the IOPC is merely the Met covering themselves as it would've been response officers at Bromley who attended, and up until recently he was... a response officer at Bromley.

Sadly, this also seems to suggest that I share acquaintances with him.

I'm not sure what it says about him that he committed this offence in an area where he had - up until recently - worked.
Could you direct me to where it’s been reported to be Swanley McDonald’s please?

This is one of the big unanswered questions for me, how long she remained alive after being placed in the car. I’m not so sure it ended quickly, but he could have stopped somewhere else on the way and where she was found was just the location chosen to hide the evidence. If this was the case she would have likely been transported deceased in the boot for most of the journey. A struggle whilst driving on the motorway, even if handcuffed, could have caused the car to swerve all over the place.

I know everyone will have different opinions on this until official information is released, but I think she was still alive in the car and he murdered her in another location which he drove to after abducting her.
For me it just doesn't seem likely he would have done it whilst he was still in London.

It's the thing that bothers me most - what happened - how much fear and suffering - how long :(

I think possibly the trial will have to take place within 6 months because of WC being in custody. There will be pressure on to get on with it.
I’d be surprised if it was as early as that. As has already been said, there are various considerations, such as existing trials already scheduled, length of trial - the longer the trial, the harder it is to find a short notice space - and I’d expect this to be at least two weeks, given there’ll probably be a lot of legal argument, plus availability of counsel and a suitable judge. Also depends on any further developments, such as other possible offences coming to light. Hopefully it’ll be earlier, but given we’re half way through March, I’d expect early 2022.
We don't do voir dire here, but I'm wondering whether potential jurors are asked general questions about whether they've followed the case in the media, whether they've already formed any opinions about the defendent etc. You would have to be living under a rock not to have been following this though, so I guess we're all still eligible...
They never used to be asked, but it’s been a good while since I worked in court. I think they are told not to not to do any research online while the trial is ongoing, in case it affects their decision, which must be based solely in the evidence they hear in court. The voir dire process isn’t used with jury selection, but they can be objected to.

I think he might have stop off somewhere probably half way to Kent either to restrain her keep her quiet possibly put her in the boot of the car and kept her alive until he got to Kent the fact he has that garage and whatever went on in there is just chilling to think about

Hi.New member here.
Quick question.
If he pleads guilty does that mean that we won't hear details of what happened?

If he enters a guilty plea tomorrow then the case will not go to trial. He would likely be sentenced at a later hearing which would, in a round about way, probably come around much sooner than a lengthy trial that I suspect this case would be given the nature of it.

If he enters a guilty plea tomorrow then the case will not go to trial. He would likely be sentenced at a later hearing which would, in a round about way, probably come around much sooner than a lengthy trial that I suspect this case would be given the nature of it.
I don't know about the UK, but certainly in Canada a basic statement of facts outlining the crime and what occurred would be released to the family and public. People need to know what happened and does the punishment fit the crime.

This has already been published but got lost in the bickering in the last thread I think

Media Advisory Notice – Disappearance of Sarah Everard

Thank you, @Stella123, for drawing our attention to this.
BBM

"In particular, the Attorney General draws attention to the requirement not to publish material that asserts or assumes the guilt of anyone who has been arrested....Editors, publishers and social media users should take legal advice to ensure they are in a position to fully comply with the obligations to which they are subject under the Contempt of Court Act 1981..."

I respectfully ask that we all remember our paramount obligation not to prejudice any potential trial of WC in a court of law.

IMO, we need to be extremely cautious in our choice of words when we refer to WC, and resist the temptation to describe him in ways which could be construed as evidence we believe he is guilty, as charged.

I urge that we cease using derogatory adjectives and nouns to refer to a fellow human being who under our laws is innocent until proven guilty.

We must abide by the admonition made in the above link, not only to preserve the legal principles of the Presumption of Innocence and the right to a fair trial, but to protect ourselves, this thread, and perhaps even the owners of this valuable site.

I apologize in advance should this post come across as having been borne from a 'holier than thou" attitude. On the contrary, I feel very small, powerless and privileged to be merely a reader on a website, whilst all who are affected by this tragedy must be experiencing unbearable pain and sorrow.

I don't know about the UK, but certainly in Canada a basic statement of facts outlining the crime and what occurred would be released to the family and public. People need to know what happened and does the punishment fit the crime.

Yes. That happens here too. He will confirm his name, address etc and an indictment would be read out followed by his plea - whatever that will be - on each alleged offence. I was just highlighting that if he pleads guilty there will be no trial.

But what happens to the sub judice rule on a US site? UK laws cannot prevent them from discussing cases before trial, can they?

Given that UK sourced information will not be forthcoming, there will be nothing new for US media to report. Nonetheless, the US media and residents can continue to rehash any published information that does not assert or assume the defendant is guilty.

Media Advisory Notice – Disappearance of Sarah Everard

Hypothetically, does anyone know whether participating in these threads would disqualify people here from serving on a jury?
If it was a case you had been following here you would have to declare it ,if you were picked for the case, just as if you would have to if you knew the defendant in real life,however remotely.
You would then be called to be selected for a different case.

Just being on Websleuths would not stop you serving on a jury,but it should stop you being on the jury for WC or other cases on here.

Might be a moral issue about what you declare,but there would be huge penalties including jail if they found you had lied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE