Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really interested in reading that. Can anyone give a quick recap?

I remember part of which was offensive. She had copied and pasted off the wall commments from various sites and articles, some of which we had spoke of here and basically made it sound like many of those posting about Morgan's case were closet criminals and sex offenders.

Mountain Mama

No POI on the Morton woman as of yet unless it’s not being released. She disappeared on a Saturday night around 10pm near Park Ave. This is the old section of Lynchburg, somewhat of a rough area and is known for drug trafficking.

Kristan Fox died of a drug OD while partying on New Year’s Eve at a nearby home; she was an instructor at VCU and pursuing her Doctorate in public policy. What a shame. She was a bright and beautiful young woman.

Kelly Catalane is starting to look as if she committed suicide. They haven’t said she was abducted. LE has stated that there is not a serial killer on the loose in VA. These are three totally different cases not link by any one perp.

Fox link;

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/crime/article/VCUU29_20100128-223409/320944

Catalane link;

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/crime/article/MISS22_20100121-222606/319355

OT:
Does anyone know if the police have a perp or POI in the recent death of Cassandra Morton of Lynchburg, Va.
Also, if anybody knows what was determined to be the COD for Kristan Charlene Fox, found dying near the dumpsters at the Zion Crossroads McDonalds on New Years Eve.
These locations are so close to Charlottesville, plus with Kelly Catalano of Chesterfield still missing. Either there are a few active perps around or one SK.

ABC 13 reported on the Cassandra Morton case on Jan. 18, but there are no leads, no POIs, nothing.

As for Kristan Charlene Fox, police believe she ingested a deadly mix of illegal drugs. They do not believe this was a homicide, and now think she did not die behind the McDonalds at Zion Crossroads.

As for Kelly Catalano, police have stated they believe she committed suicide, but no one else believes that. Ask family, friends, ex-, coworkers, WS posters. We believe she was abducted.

And now we have missing Jill Edmonds, who never made it to work last week, and whose car was found on the side of a bridge. No one saw her jump and the bridge is rather heavily traveled. Family and friends says there's no way she committed suicide.

I'm leaning toward the "few active perps" theory. Way too many missing women in VA of late.

JMO

ETA: Sorry Ghostmaster. I was writing while you were posting!

Ya, it just seems weird that you could be sure it was homicide but not know the cause of death. I obviously don't know the cause of death, but I do FEEL certain it was homicide; however I could not come out and say that it is a fact.

Do you know what if any information from the MEs report they are required to release? Is any of it public information? Because I agree with you about not hearing more from the ME, if I was the DA you would not even have heard what you heard so I wonder what if there is anything they HAVE TO release.

The reason I would be curious to know is cause of death seems like it can sometimes say something about the crime. If this was, as I suspect, some sort or Abduction + sex crime sort of thing, it seems to me (just my feeling I don't have any statistics or anything to back it up) these crimes usually involve strangulation or stabbing or some combination, and sometimes bludgeoning. If it came out that she had been shot I would really have to rethink things and I would not feel that it was necessarily Abduction+sex crime, I would have to go back to the "it could be anything" camp.
Perfect example? Caylee Anthony. Her death was ruled a homicide by undetermined means. There was no obvious cause of death but she was found with duct tape three layers width over her airways. A sure sign she did not die of natural causes. So I can only assume with Morgan, she was either found with a ligature around her neck or a wound that hit bone and showed cause of death that way.

I am just heartbroken about Morgan and her poor family. This need not have happened if her friends would simply have brought her keys out to her and said just wait on us in the car. Simple solution-why was it not utilized? There is something hidden by the friends. Something is not right there.

Don't forget we have the Childs/Metzler murders too that are presently unsolved with no real leads.

ETA:

Missing children in VA: http://missingkids.idribble.com/usa/virginia/ ~Note: I saw at least one child missing from C'ville in this list as I was scanning through it.

I was really interested in reading that. Can anyone give a quick recap?
I almost copied those post she posted but decided it was tacky. I missed the point she was trying to make except maybe no one should be fact finding on the internet because we are as someone pointed out sex offenders ,and people with shady past and she has to sort all the post looking for a tip instead of doing the work herself and has yet to find a nugget of a tip that will help find the suspect. For the reward no doubt. She is a P.I.

LE has stated that there is not a serial killer on the loose in VA. These are three totally different cases not link by any one perp.

Fox link;

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/crime/article/VCUU29_20100128-223409/320944

Catalane link;

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/crime/article/MISS22_20100121-222606/319355

They may be saying that but I dont believe it. That route 29 stalker is somewhere and the very high percentage of latino women missing from prince woman county is alarming. Not to mention the parkway murders and the hikers who Daryl rice was suspected in.

http://www.c-ville.com/index.php?cat=11101808092903167&ShowArticle_ID=11800102104276532

In an article posted earlier in the threads, there is a map that shows where Morgans body was found. I was kinda messing around on the computer here at work tonight (a good night at work for a few minutes), and was comparing the photo from the C'Ville weekly article with the Google maps, and did an exterme close up of the area that the article has marked... I will say though I have no idea how accurate their estimations are on their pics, but the close up i did is of the area they marked...

anchorage_farm_map-enlarge.jpg

untitled.jpg

As I said, this was just me playing around, based on the pic in that article... Not sure how useful it is though....:waitasec:

I was young once; I used to wear knee-high boots with heels; go to concerts; I also used to walk in woods, & near train tracks. What I was wearing did not matter.

Where I grew up, there were mountains; at one time a body was found in the lot next to our gas station; apparently, someone fell off of the cliff. What was weird to me was that my dog did not find the body; nor did we ever smell anything.

Does anyone know if they will be able to do any tox screens on her?

Post continues to say Morgan will be found:
-Not buried (possibly a shallow grave)
-On the edge of a field
-6-15 miles from JPJ
-Possibly nude
-Posed to look like something else happened

See this is a psychic trick at first it seems like wow that’s accurate, but then if you really look at it what of those things where not expected.....

1. Not buried or in a shallow grave.....this rules out hmmmm pretty much almost nothing I mean she's either buried or not...I guess 99% of murder victim who are not just left where they are shot are either not buried or in a shallow grave.

2. On the edge of a field....this is a very general statement which can be twisted to fit almost outdoor locations.

3. 6-15 miles from JPJ this mean anywhere in the rural area immediately surrounding the city she was abducted from its a educated guess that plays the odds.

4. possibly nude......again this rules out nothing kind of like buried or maybe not we are all possibly nude. Furthermore this type of case very often turns out to be some sort of sex crime so even if they would have out right guessed she was nude it would not be a stretch.

blah blah blah sorry not personal toward you I’m just a skeptic as far as psychics go. I think that if you look at what they say and see what really does it rule out and you will almost always see that they’ve set up a situation where very few scenarios are actually ruled out by what they say….making it very hard for them to be wrong and using conformation Bias to make people think they have powers….

On a comical side note a relative of mine works in the physics and astronomy department of a major state university and everyone calls it the department of psychic’s and astrologers…:laugh::Banane57::bananalama:

What Lindsay posted wasn't from a psychic...it was someone who described themselves through their screen name as a profiler wannabe

After examining photos of the immediate area, and then taking a second (and then a third :)) look at google maps that show where the creeks run and the terrain, it's becoming more and more apparent to me that the killer did indeed use an ATV of some sort to transport the body to this location. An ATV probably equipped with a mounted rear rack, used by hunters to transport game, which also explains the comment made by Mr. Bass of deer carcasses in the area. It's an area familiar to hunters.

Assuming that ATVs do not have the capability to traverse creekbeds, I reckon the most likely avenue the perp used is via Chopin Drive, and into the ATV path that hugs the bank of the creek, as I have highlighted in the following map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...7.987893,-78.617263&spn=0.008388,0.01929&z=16

Why do I think this route is an ATV/hunter path? By examining Google earth, and the "Timeline" feature that allows you look at satellite imagery going back to the 1990s, there is a distinct "track" that runs from the Blandemar Farm Pond, hugging the line of trees and the creeks, down through where Morgan was found. Unfortunately, I don't know how to link Google Earth maps, but if you have google earth, you can examine the topography of the area going back to April of 1994.

The perpetuator is indeed a local. I think it highly unlikely they utilized their POV to get to this location. If I were law enforcement, I would be looking at that "access point" at Chopin Drive @ Blandemar Pond... taking a close look at locals who own all-terrain vehicles, or have easy access to one.

One comment two questions (err maybe 3 questions IDK):

1. It looks like that path cross 3 fence lines to me. How would this be negotiated on the 4wheeler?
2. If an ATV can move along these trails what about something like a Z71? I don't live in the area but i do live in the south and those types of vehicles are not uncommon.
3. How do you do the time progression thing in Google earth? (I <3 Google earth).

Lastly good interesting work I like the access point you show because it is on the road away from any homes.

What Lindsay posted wasn't from a psychic...it was someone who described themselves through their screen name as a profiler wannabe

then again some would argue there is less difference that you think (psychic vs. profiler) lol....anyway whoever it is, is justing the same tricks psychic use to make themselves appear to be and expert profiler....

One comment two questions (err maybe 3 questions IDK):

1. It looks like that path cross 3 fence lines to me. How would this be negotiated on the 4wheeler?
2. If an ATV can move along these trails what about something like a Z71? I don't live in the area but i do live in the south and those types of vehicles are not uncommon.
3. How do you do the time progression thing in Google earth? (I <3 Google earth).

Lastly good interesting work I like the access point you show because it is on the road away from any homes.

Can't help you with the time progression thing but I can tell you how to get a vehicle through a barbed wire fence:

* Find a fencepost next to a flat space wide enough for your vehicle
* Remove the staples or untwist the wire holding the barbed wire strands in place.
* Press the strands to the ground and hold them there -- most commonly one person will stand on them while the other person drives the vehicle over, but you can use a rock, post, whatever. Depending on how tightly the wire is strung, they might just sag low enough to let you cross.
* Drive vehicle through.
* Return wire to former position on the post and refasten. Poachers often don't bother with this step. For that matter, poachers often don't bother with the other steps. Wire cutters will do the trick.

See this is a psychic trick at first it seems like wow that’s accurate, but then if you really look at it what of those things where not expected.....

1. Not buried or in a shallow grave.....this rules out hmmmm pretty much almost nothing I mean she's either buried or not...I guess 99% of murder victim who are not just left where they are shot are either not buried or in a shallow grave.

2. On the edge of a field....this is a very general statement which can be twisted to fit almost outdoor locations.

3. 6-15 miles from JPJ this mean anywhere in the rural area immediately surrounding the city she was abducted from its a educated guess that plays the odds.

4. possibly nude......again this rules out nothing kind of like buried or maybe not we are all possibly nude. Furthermore this type of case very often turns out to be some sort of sex crime so even if they would have out right guessed she was nude it would not be a stretch.

blah blah blah sorry not personal toward you I’m just a skeptic as far as psychics go.

The two things that caught my attention was the location. Not just a field but on the edge of a forest/woods. Also, the distance. It didn't just say within 15 miles of JPJ, it was more specific: 6-15 miles. Most thought if she was found it would be relatively close. But this excluded within 5 miles of where she was last seen and stated between these two distances.

And I agree that I take what psychics say with a grain of salt. I'd take more notice if someone actually knew something and just tried to pass it off as a a vision/dream/psychic scenario.

News Reporter on NBC 12 Rachel DePompa reported a presser on twitter regarding Morgan at 3pm today. She says no arrest made, it's an update on investigation. VA state LE holding presser.

GourmetSoy, is that 3pm Eastern time? TIA

I'm assuming so, she didn't say exactly. She did say she's on her way to c-ville to cover it though. I'll see what else I can find and where to see it etc. and post when I find something.

The Virginia State Police will provide an investigative update concerning the death of Morgan Harrington today (Feb. 4, 2010) in Charlottesville. The press conference will take place at the Virginia State Police Area Office in the Fontaine Research Park in Charlottesville at 3 p.m. Please note that no arrest has been made at this stage of the ongoing investigation. Information released in this press conference will focus on the specific nature of the location where Morgan's remains were found the morning of Jan. 26, 2010.

Lt. Joe Rader, supervisor for the General Investigations Section of the Appomattox Field Office of the Virginia State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation, will be speaking.

A press release will be sent out via e-mail recapping Lt. Rader's remarks following the press event for the benefit of those unable to attend.

What: Investigative Update on Morgan Harrington Case

When: Today – Thursday – at 3 p.m.

Where: VSP Area 18 Office in Charlottesville at 900 Natural Resources Drive, Suite 200, in the Fontaine Research Park off of Route 29.

Who: Lt. Joe Rader, VSP Appomattox Field Office Bureau of Criminal Investigation

http://www.nbc29.com/Global/story.asp?S=11933241

Someone called news 29 from the findmorgan board and they said they will be live streaming.

I will be there in person and will update those here about the press conference.

From the look of the article, it just getting the word out and keeping it fresh in people's minds. Same old boring thing that would come to expect after reading the article.

"Information released in this press conference will focus on the specific nature of the location where Morgan's remains were found the morning of Jan. 26, 2010." What else is there to know about the location that hasn't been theorized or discussed by investigators and bloggers. We reporters have been "warned" to not discuss certain information and I'm sure it won't be revealed during the conference. If it does, it will not be a surprise. If it is discussed at the press conference it will be to control any word of mouth and keep investigators from taking down posts

Too bad it's snowed here a couple days ago and snowing again tomorrow and saturday. Can't get any more evidence there if needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734