Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
While this may not apply, one reason for removing a cell phone battery: once removed, it can no longer be tracked. Several months ago I followed the Iran election on twitter. One tweet often repeated warned students to use their cell phones to report, but remember to take out the battery before going home and don't put it back in until well after leaving home.
Supposedly she called her friend around 8:48 and said she would get a ride home. Is that the only phone call she made during the whole time she was wondering around a dark parking lot trying to figure out how to get back into the concert she waited 6 mo. to see? Does that call actually exist? Staged? If she never made it to the arena, her steps could be retraced through cell phone pings, unless the battery had been removed. Or this could just be a crazy idea!! lol MOO
Yeah but why remove the battery if you aren't going to take it with you anyway? What time was her purse found again? I just wonder if they were in the area for a significant amount of time before deciding to throw her purse out and leave? I know i've seen the time line on the purse but I just can't remember.

I just cant buy this "no trace of her" except for friends' words and people's sightings and some of those are total strangers. I would normally say the friends' stories would be legit and useful in this type of situation, but the bits and pieces are contradictory and also don't make even a lick of sense to me.

moo

Exactly...not a lick of sense! I get this hinky feeling that the parents and friends worked out this improbable scenario, together. But, why? What are they covering up? :banghead:

Hey, I’ve been lurking with re: to this case because it has caught my attention. I decided to join to reply to the posts here so far – namely, 1) why her cell phone battery might have been removed, and 2) why she left her friends, went to the bathroom alone, and then went outside.

First, though -- I think some people here are being way harsh on the friends. I’m sure they’re talking to LE but I can think of several reasons they won’t go public, the most obvious one being – yes, they were all stoned or something. And they, their parents, and the Harringtons see no need for the world to know this, and possibly think of them as Bad Kids or druggies.

Furthermore, as to why they let her leave on her own - it's possible she was really adamant about it. (See point two below.)

Moving on…

1) Why the cell phone battery was removed. Keep in mind that LE didn’t find this remarkable, which means they must have some idea why it was done – which to me says either that a) her phone was known to have a loose backing/a battery that fell out often, or b) she removed her battery.

So, there’s one big reason to remove a cell phone battery. Namely, the cell phone gets wet. Removing the battery is the classic way to reboot it and see if you can get it to work again. You take the battery out, dry it off really thoroughly, and pop it back in to give it a go. If the phone still doesn’t work, the next step is to get a new battery. Maybe you would toss the old one right away? And maybe, especially if you needed to get in touch with people to see if they would give you a ride, you would approach someone to ask if you could use *their* phone. Or their phone battery, just for a second (so they wouldn’t have to pay for the call). Of course, this would require a conversation, to determine if your phone makes were a match.

Maybe some *advertiser censored**hole spilled liquid on her phone? Maybe some “good Samaritan” lent her their phone battery so she could talk to her friend? And so she trusted the Samaritan…? I’m really reaching here. Just following one line of possibilities that would start with the phone having gotten wet, forcing her to remove the battery.

Now, to the second matter:

first off, girls that age do not go to the bathroom by themselves.

2. They do if they’re embarrassed about something – like not handling their high – and need a moment alone. I don’t agree that this requires hard drugs – the first thing that popped to my mind here was marijuana. Weed is considered a very mild drug by so many people who use it – milder than alcohol - likely because they don’t have bad reactions to it. But some people *ahem* don’t react well to it at all. It can make some people super anxious, overwhelmed by sight/sound/input, totally anti-social, etc. One single experimental puff and you might be freaked out enough to need to be outside and totally unable to deal with the prospect of even your favorite band coming on, because everything suddenly seems completely overwhelming. But you also feel incredibly stupid for having a bad reaction when everyone around you is handling it with apparent ease (or maybe you took the hit off a joint being smoked by a totally hot stranger you just met, and you don’t want to embarrass yourself in front of him). The LAST thing you’d want to do is to screw up your friends’ night because you’re too much of a wuss to “handle” the weed. Damn it, you knew you shouldn’t have tried it, and now everything is ruined! So, you go into the main lobby to calm down. But instead you’re just feeling higher and higher and you’re freaking out and are all the security guards looking at you really strangely, oh my God do they KNOW? Are they going to arrest you? Your parents will KILL you. All you want is a minute of silence and solitude so you can deal with yourself and calm down and get away from being watched.

So maybe you make a really bad mistake and go outside. Or maybe you DECIDE to leave of your own accord. You tell your friends, “I’m so sorry, but I just can’t handle this. Look, I do NOT want to ruin your night, so I’ll find a ride with some friends.”

Now, LE worded the response as to whether she was intoxicated very carefully – they said she was mobile and talking. And weed leaves you this way. You don’t actually look intoxicated. You’re not stumbling around or anything. Your balance is fine. Maybe your eyes are a little bit red – or really red, like you’ve been crying - but that’s it.

Hey, I’ve been lurking with re: to this case because it has caught my attention. I decided to join to reply to the posts here so far – namely, 1) why her cell phone battery might have been removed, and 2) why she left her friends, went to the bathroom alone, and then went outside.

First, though -- I think some people here are being way harsh on the friends. I’m sure they’re talking to LE but I can think of several reasons they won’t go public, the most obvious one being – yes, they were all stoned or something. And they, their parents, and the Harringtons see no need for the world to know this, and possibly think of them as Bad Kids or druggies.

Furthermore, as to why they let her leave on her own - it's possible she was really adamant about it. (See point two below.)

Moving on…

1) Why the cell phone battery was removed. Keep in mind that LE didn’t find this remarkable, which means they must have some idea why it was done – which to me says either that a) her phone was known to have a loose backing/a battery that fell out often, or b) she removed her battery.

So, there’s one big reason to remove a cell phone battery. Namely, the cell phone gets wet. Removing the battery is the classic way to reboot it and see if you can get it to work again. You take the battery out, dry it off really thoroughly, and pop it back in to give it a go. If the phone still doesn’t work, the next step is to get a new battery. Maybe you would toss the old one right away? And maybe, especially if you needed to get in touch with people to see if they would give you a ride, you would approach someone to ask if you could use *their* phone. Or their phone battery, just for a second (so they wouldn’t have to pay for the call). Of course, this would require a conversation, to determine if your phone makes were a match.

Maybe some *advertiser censored**hole spilled liquid on her phone? Maybe some “good Samaritan” lent her their phone battery so she could talk to her friend? And so she trusted the Samaritan…? I’m really reaching here. Just following one line of possibilities that would start with the phone having gotten wet, forcing her to remove the battery.

2. They do if they’re embarrassed about something – like not handling their high – and need a moment alone. I don’t agree that this requires hard drugs – the first thing that popped to my mind here was marijuana. Weed is considered a very mild drug by so many people who use it – milder than alcohol - likely because they don’t have bad reactions to it. But some people *ahem* don’t react well to it at all. It can make some people super anxious, overwhelmed by sight/sound/input, totally anti-social, etc. One single experimental puff and you might be freaked out enough to need to be outside and totally unable to deal with the prospect of even your favorite band coming on, because everything suddenly seems completely overwhelming. But you also feel incredibly stupid for having a bad reaction when everyone around you is handling it with apparent ease (or maybe you took the hit off a joint being smoked by a totally hot stranger you just met, and you don’t want to embarrass yourself in front of him). The LAST thing you’d want to do is to screw up your friends’ night because you’re too much of a wuss to “handle” the weed. Damn it, you knew you shouldn’t have tried it, and now everything is ruined! So, you go into the main lobby to calm down. But instead you’re just feeling higher and higher and you’re freaking out and are all the security guards looking at you really strangely, oh my God do they KNOW? Are they going to arrest you? Your parents will KILL you. All you want is a minute of silence and solitude so you can deal with yourself and calm down and get away from being watched.

So maybe you make a really bad mistake and go outside. Or maybe you DECIDE to leave of your own accord. You tell your friends, “I’m so sorry, but I just can’t handle this. Look, I do NOT want to ruin your night, so I’ll find a ride with some friends.”

Now, LE worded the response as to whether she was intoxicated very carefully – they said she was mobile and talking. And weed leaves you this way. You don’t actually look intoxicated. You’re not stumbling around or anything. Your balance is fine. Maybe your eyes are a little bit red – or really red, like you’ve been crying - but that’s it.

Yeah but I must say, if it were my friend and I were high before she went missing I wouldn't give a damn who knew, just as long as I got any info out there that might be useful. And if it were my daughter that were missing I wouldn't give 2 poops who knew that she was high just as long as she returned to me safely or it led me to any possible clues, not that these things are significant to the case but for morgan, it could have played a huge role in everything. I admit, i've gotten high and or drunk before and it impairs your way of thinking totally. I have done the same exact thing as morgan and gone of by myself before, because I was too drunk or high to realize it was dangerous at the time. I have done things that make me cringe now when i think about it because it was so dangerous. Think about it, what's more important, saving face, or saving a life?
Weed has given me panic attacks before and I've had to go and be alone until I calmed down. Those things are terrifying to say the least.
Edited to say even president Clinton admitted to trying marijuana, big deal, everybody has a secret somewhere.

Exactly...not a lick of sense! I get this hinky feeling that the parents and friends worked out this improbable scenario, together. But, why? What are they covering up? :banghead:
OK you have to expound on that now; you got my attn.

What could it be?

hey lindsaym

I have thought this way and mentioned it as well.......if she was spinning out...if it was hydrophonic and good stuff and she's not used to it....she may have felt overwhelmed, paranoid, claustrophobic and wanted to go out and get fresh air....

I have definitely seen this happen to people...and I do think reading between the lines of a few reports, she was intoxicated with something...I would say stoned......however you think the friends would have been concerned about her wanting to get home an hour away on her own if they knew she was spinning out

On Nancy grace tonight her dad said after she went outside she was texting a guy who was in a city other than Charlottesville and that he is not a suspect at this time.

Yeah but I must say, if it were my friend and I were high before she went missing I wouldn't give a damn who knew, just as long as I got any info out there that might be useful. And if it were my daughter that were missing I wouldn't give 2 poops who knew that she was high just as long as she returned to me safely or it led me to any possible clues, not that these things are significant to the case but for morgan, it could have played a huge role in everything. I admit, i've gotten high and or drunk before and it impairs your way of thinking totally. I have done the same exact thing as morgan and gone of by myself before, because I was too drunk or high to realize it was dangerous at the time. I have done things that make me cringe now when i think about it because it was so dangerous. Think about it, what's more important, saving face, or saving a life?
Weed has given me panic attacks before and I've had to go and be alone until I calmed down. Those things are terrifying to say the least.
Edited to say even president Clinton admitted to trying marijuana, big deal, everybody has a secret somewhere.

bbm

so.much.word.

And if (IF) it's too late to save a life.... FIND THE SOB SO HE CAN'T DO IT AGAIN> AND MAKE HIM PAY (or "bring him to justice" or whatever the PC way to phrase it is)

that is all.

What could it be?

I don't know...something that made it necessary for her to disappear. Are they protecting her from something? This makes me crazy! :waitasec:

Phone calls and text messages from her phone mean nothing. Anybody who had her phone could have done that. Someone she knew. Hopefully, LE isn't taking everything said from the "friends" as fact. IMO, whatever happened to her happened elsewhere. Not at the arena.

Didn't dad say he did all of her banking?

He said she would be there Sunday after concert so he could balance her checkbook. Could't she even balance her own checkbook and her mom helping her dress. This girl is 20 not 12. I think there are things her parents have no idea about and they seem rather naive to me. Her friends are not very good ones no way would we have let one of our girlfriends leave and not gone with her or to look for her. If she liked the band so well why would she leave to go anywhere. Went to see Bon Jovi and Aerosmith and wild horses couldn't have dragged me out of there. Something not right about this at all. On NG tonight her dad said she was texting a friend(male) right before concert nothing romantic just friends, first I had heard that one.

What could it be?

Any chance some of these kids are on athletic (or other) scholarships that they would lose if caught drinking/doing drugs? If the parents really have given up hope and believe she's dead, maybe they figure there is no sense in ratting the others out and costing them an education?

Moving on…

That must have been some good weed, I think she was use to smokin weed maybe some EX if I was guessin?

Any chance some of these kids are on athletic (or other) scholarships that they would lose if caught drinking/doing drugs? If the parents really have given up hope and believe she's dead, maybe they figure there is no sense in ratting the others out and costing them an education?

I think her parents are naive and clueless....

The way I see it is they don't have to say the friends did anything. I don't think anyone really cares about what the friends did. All anyone cares about is what Morgan did leading up to her missing. If they think she's dead then why not tell what they think they might know about her at that point?
The friends could even lie and exclude themselves and say that Morgan was the only one who did etc... I don't think anyone would care if they excluded themselves, not even LE, just as long as they have all the right info.

A question and a comment.

First - how long does ecstasy take to effectively "wear off?"

And - I'm beginning to think that perhaps there was no video surveillance at the concert that night (cost savings cutbacks? somebody goofed?) and the police are covering it up. (Can't have the college look bad!!)

The way I see it is they don't have to say the friends did anything. I don't think anyone really cares about what the friends did. All anyone cares about is what Morgan did leading up to her missing. If they think she's dead then why not tell what they think they might know about her at that point?
The friends could even lie and exclude themselves and say that Morgan was the only one who did etc... I don't think anyone would care if they excluded themselves, not even LE, just as long as they have all the right info.

Could be covering the fact the friends were so stoned they have no idea what happened.

A question and a comment.

First - how long does ecstasy take to effectively "wear off?"

And - I'm beginning to think that perhaps there was no video surveillance at the concert that night (cost savings cutbacks? somebody goofed?) and the police are covering it up. (Can't have the college look bad!!)

I think Ecstasy takes a while to wear off, but there are other drugs she could have taken, the smallest dose of Xanax with only 1 alcoholic beverage can make you feel as though you drank 10 drinks. I'm sure even a lot of over the counter drugs will have the same effect when mixed with alcohol.
Edited to say I have seen friends high on Ecstasy for hours after taking just one sometimes even all night, depends on the potency I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl