Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The scenario of an ex would possibly explain some of the statements by the Harringtons... for example when they talk about "you can be the hero".. did something go wrong?

I still think that there is a charlottesville link (as mentioned in the first presser) ... I believe either MH or someone MH contacted (like a friend her brother contacted) ... came to JPJ and met MH on the bridge.

I believe the Harringtons and LE know who that POI is but they have no proof putting MH and POI together so they have been asking for sightings of MH getting into a car. Unless LE can put POI and MH together they have no leverage although you would think that they could possibly get a search warrant for the car but again if there is no crime... no search warrant?

This is kind of a dark thought, but I wanted to throw it out here.... there has been some discussion that police may have a POI due to the fact that there hasn't been any public warning etc., about a possible abductor.

Though I was thinking... does anyone think that the police have an "out" so to speak (as in "We don't even know if there WAS a crime") which would in turn benefit the university ("There is no crime around here!") ?

I think I'm just wondering since LE has so much on their plate day to day, that they want to be sure a crime took place. I hesitate to even type this... but I'm concerned they might want to wait for a body to turn up before they do much more? In otherwords, it's NOT that they have a POI, but that they arent even sure there has been a crime.

I know that's dark! But I'm not sure they feel that a crime actually took place...

Did that make sense? LOL

it reminds me of Maura Murray's case. Because Morgan Harrington is of legal age, according to law (and I am not agreeing with the sentiment of this, just simply stating), she is allowed to voluntarily go missing. Police get thousands of MP cases every day and only a handful a year might be a person taken against their will. If she left of her own volition, then it ceases to become a priority. that's what happened in Maura's case, which was so frustrating - police said that it appeared that she had left her car voluntarily after having
an accident, and since she had also left school mysteriously for reasons no one who knew her could figure out, they stubbornly stuck to the creed that "adults have a right to go missing". And when people disappear off the face of the earth without any sign of a struggle, it's even harder - the cops have nothing to work with, and other cases take higher priority. (In the case of Brooke Wilberger, for example, because the cops had found one of her flip-flops in the parking lot, IMO they took it as a sign of a struggle and could investigate it at a higher priority, because who goes voluntarily missing with just one shoe?) I would also factor in that most state budgets are either frozen or experiencing drastic cuts right now and have been for the past year or two - I know that in Massachusetts, our governor had to drastically cut back certain squads in the police department - detectives and cops on horseback were laid off. Other states are losing their cold case departments and gang squads. State crime labs are backed up too. I don't know what Virginia's current financial standing is, but this could be playing a part in it. (just my opinion, of course)

it reminds me of Maura Murray's case. Because Morgan Harrington is of legal age, according to law (and I am not agreeing with the sentiment of this, just simply stating), she is allowed to voluntarily go missing. Police get thousands of MP cases every day and only a handful a year might be a person taken against their will. If she left of her own volition, then it ceases to become a priority. that's what happened in Maura's case, which was so frustrating - police said that it appeared that she had left her car voluntarily after having
an accident, and since she had also left school mysteriously for reasons no one who knew her could figure out, they stubbornly stuck to the creed that "adults have a right to go missing". And when people disappear off the face of the earth without any sign of a struggle, it's even harder - the cops have nothing to work with, and other cases take higher priority. (In the case of Brooke Wilberger, for example, because the cops had found one of her flip-flops in the parking lot, IMO they took it as a sign of a struggle and could investigate it at a higher priority, because who goes voluntarily missing with just one shoe?) I would also factor in that most state budgets are either frozen or experiencing drastic cuts right now and have been for the past year or two - I know that in Massachusetts, our governor had to drastically cut back certain squads in the police department - detectives and cops on horseback were laid off. Other states are losing their cold case departments and gang squads. State crime labs are backed up too. I don't know what Virginia's current financial standing is, but this could be playing a part in it. (just my opinion, of course)

Great post! I completely agree. It's a really valid point - people have the right to go "missing". I think the part that threw me was them finding her purse in the parking lot. Who leaves their purse?? LE did say early on though, that it was being looked at as a criminal investigation so finding the purse probably helped.

I remember reading about Maura, it gave me the chills. Thanks for mentioning her, I'm going to see if there are any threads on her here. (I'm sure there are.)

I think if I were ever in the position of being held somewhere against my will, the only thing worse than being held would be knowing that nobody is looking for me because they think I took off. Ugh...

After hearing about what happened with Cassandra in Lynchburg,that was abducted and killed just a week before Morgan went missing,it makes sense to me that a SK might see a big concert like that as an opportunity to abduct someone else.Do they have information in texts or Morgan's recent actions before this time to suspect she's a run away?The purse itself would indicate an abduction,I'm really wondering what they know they're not releasing.Or are they just trying to keep the public fear down knowing there's possibly still a serial killer out there.

That's my concern too. Some days I lean towards them having a suspect due to LE's relative silence, and other days I think might fall back on "Well we can't say for sure that she didn't just take off on her own" so there is less urgency to "alert" the public.

How close is Lynchburg to where Morgan went missing?

I was able to see what you were talking about after I watched it full screen. Feels eerie looking at this. I made a screenshot and its on my photo bucket:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/inna0787/MH-LOG.jpg

Did anyone have a closer up view of this picture? Because from what I can see here that COULD be Morgan...but it could also be me, or two of my girlfriends, who are also blonde. It just looks like a blurry photo of what looks like a female with blonde hair.

Futurecriminologist, what is your opinion on what happened to Maura? I don't want to take away from Morgan, but I'm curious about the "maybe she just walked away" aspect.... (Please feel free to post a link if there is somewhere you have discussed this in greater detail so I don't hijack Morgan's thread!)

**Apologies for going off topic for this post, it will just be once!**

That's my concern too. Some days I lean towards them having a suspect due to LE's relative silence, and other days I think might fall back on "Well we can't say for sure that she didn't just take off on her own" so there is less urgency to "alert" the public.

How close is Lynchburg to where Morgan went missing?

JPJ arena to Liberty University in Lynchburg, straight down 29-S, is 68.4 miles.

The statement that she hasn't become a victim because she knows evil is out there and is vigilant in her surroundings. From all accounts JK was the same. I hate to hear people, especially women feel that they are untreachable because they are paying attention.

Women unfortunately (myself included) are at a disadvantage. While i will insist I am strong and fast, (for a woman) I know that most men can overpower me. There have been times when I have felt illl at ease with particular persons, and thruthfully thinking about if that person was truly the bad person I had the feeling they were there would be very little I could do besides run. Even recently I have reallized how even more exposed i am . I am 8 mos pregnant. I still run 2 miles every morning (down from 15 miles every day before i was pg) But I am now clumsy and definitely not the agile person i was 9 months ago. I feel even more hypervigilant because i realize I am now an easy target. And what frightens me even more is that in less than 2 months i will have a constant impediment. A small infant that makes me an even bigger target. One might think that is paranoid, and the likelihood of someone picking me out is slim to none, but after reasing and researching so many cases, I feel like I am bait on a hook. I worry that on top of being encumbered physically by a child that I wont be as aware of my surroundings and such.

Your concerns are unfortunately well founded. Carrying baby, babies things, having to put the baby in their seat then go around to the back of vehicle to load strollers, bags and so on... it is a handycap really because as a mother with three schoolage children now, I am so much less aware of my surroundings when I take all three of them with me - when they were small, I was in my own world most of the time.

I hope I don't offend the feminists among us by saying this - but there is a reason why for thousands and thousands of years females chose males to mate/marry for protection - way back to our cave dwelling ancestors, women are physically smaller and not as strong as most men, women with small children stand little chance of protecting their young from a man who wants to harm them. Of course we can kid ourselves into thinking if we take a karate class or buy a gun it helps even it up and we can protect ourselves - but that isn't necessarily so.

Parents of Morgan Harrington talk about float effort in local parades
Published: December 3, 2009
Updated: December 3, 2009
<snipped>
A group of volunteer from &#8220;Forgotten Victims&#8221; came up with floats for local Christmas parades as part of a &#8220;Let&#8217;s Bring Morgan Home for X-Mas&#8221; campaign. Morgan used to volunteer with the non-profit group.

Dan and Gil Harrington issed this statement on Thursday, through the PR firm they hired:

The past few weeks have been particularly trying for our family as we face the holiday season without our daughter, Morgan. It is the community&#8217;s continued outpouring of love and support that helps us endure this difficult time each day. We thank the members of the non-profit group, Forgotten Victims, and the many others who will help spread the word about Morgan&#8217;s disappearance by marching in upcoming holiday parades at Vinton, Salem, and Roanoke, Virginia. Your support has helped lift our spirits when we needed it most.

Article:
http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/local...lk_about_float_effort_in_local_parades/66398/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UPDATED: Morgan Harrington's friends hope to generate leads at Vinton parade
December 4, 2009
<snipped>
This is supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year, but for the family of missing Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington it's the most difficult.

Her friends plan to use the holidays to remind people she's still missing.

The Holidays came alive Thursday night for the annual Christmas parade in downtown Vinton.

It's always fun time but this year it takes on a more serious tone.

Friends of Morgan Harrington are out of in full force raising awareness, in the parade and along the parade route.

"I'm not going to stop searching until we find her," says Morgan's friend Maticia Ruffner.

Video: Morgan Harrington's friends hope for new leads at Vinton Christmas Parade (12/03) 2:06
http://www.wdbj7.com/global/Categor...default&clipId=4354900&flvUri=&partnerclipid=

Video: Friends of Morgan Harrington hoping to generate leads in Vinton (12/3) 1:29
http://www.wdbj7.com/global/Categor...default&clipId=4353877&flvUri=&partnerclipid=

Article:
http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=11616285
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Friends of Missing Metallica Fan Morgan Harrington Hit Parade Routes
Posted on Dec 4th 2009 11:00AM
<snipped>
This week and weekend, friends of Morgan will be hitting the streets in full force, in an effort to raise awareness to the case, which has been getting national media coverage.

Metallica bassist Robert Trujillo said in a recent interview that he hopes Morgan is returned safely. "I was crushed," Trujillo said, about learning of Harrington's disappearance; he added that the case has been ever-present on the band members' minds. "Stuff like this just really, really bums me out, especially when you are a parent and you have children. I mean, it's the worst thing that you could ever imagine. And of course, you know, we're all hoping for the best and just praying that she's alive. It really hit a sour chord with us and bummed us out."

Article:
http://www.noisecreep.com/2009/12/04/missing-metallica-fan-parade-routes/

:angel:

Good Evening All!

I am headed to JPJ tomorrow night for a concert...and was hoping to do a little sleuthing while I am there.

I want to see how chaotic the hallways are, to see if someone could accidently end up outside. I also want to see how well posted the signs are about no re-admittance (although they may have made them more visible since her disapperance). I also want to get a feel for the parking lot.

Any other ideas for things I should look out for?

Maybe one of the girls' BFs was a UVa BB player. He had practice near the concert that night, so he gives the group of girls (Morgan, Sarah & Amy) a ride. Morgan ends up closed out & her cell is dead, so she heads over the RV parking lot looking for him. She asks the guys if they have seen him. One of them loans her his cell. The BF picks her up on the bridge. Something happens. After the concert the other girls call him, but they have to wait for him a long time ... Morgan's car never left Harrisburg, but one of the girls is covering for their BF.

I hate to speculate when it amounts to suggesting awful things about someone we all don't know anything about, but.....just saying.....IMHO and all that, it could have nothing to do with any of the basketball players. The unnamed male could also have dropped Morgan, Amy and Sarah off at the concert, taken off and then, it could have been him that Morgan was trying to reach when she was couldn't re-enter the arena. Perhaps the person she called if she borrowed someone else's cell phone. After the concert the others may have had to wait till he returned with Morgan's car. Then, the cover-up, if one exists, could be for this person (the boyfriend of one of the girls).

Good Evening All!

I am headed to JPJ tomorrow night for a concert...and was hoping to do a little sleuthing while I am there.

I want to see how chaotic the hallways are, to see if someone could accidently end up outside. I also want to see how well posted the signs are about no re-admittance (although they may have made them more visible since her disapperance). I also want to get a feel for the parking lot.

I've been curious about the designated smoking area.
Are there many signs showing it's location? How easy is it to get to?
I've been assuming it's the rather large balcony on the opposite side of the building from the main entrance, or am I wrong?

ETA: Hey, enjoy the show!

What if Morgan and her friends did make it up to Charlottesville for the concert and got there a few hours early. They partied in town and were separated from Morgan. They left with the car and Morgans purse and jacket in the car they all rode up in and drove on over to the JPJ Arena. Morgan got a ride over from the partying and could not get in because her ticket was in her purse in the locked car. Could she have been calling them from the parking lot hopeing somebody would come outside and get her purse for her so she could get her ticket and enter the concert? Of course that has to assume they would not come out and she got stuck in the parking lot with God knows who. That would also assume they dumped her things after the concert in the parking lot. And you know what assume means. I think I shall rest a while til we get some more information. I am really reaching. MOO

Hmmm.. another point on the "it's possible a stalker-ish ex-boyfriend lured her out" theory... if LE have a POI in mind, that may be why they are so quiet. If they think he hurt Morgan (worst case scenario, killed her) they may not want want to scare this person for the fear he might commit suicide, and Morgan might never be found.

Here is the link from the grandmother who says she saw two people fighting that night that "appeared to know one another"

http://www.nbc29.com/Global/story.asp?S=11374052

Good Evening All!

Oh good idea! I'd be really curious to know if it's easy to stumble out or not... definitely check it out!

What if Morgan and her friends did make it up to Charlottesville for the concert and got there a few hours early. They partied in town and were separated from Morgan. They left with the car and Morgans purse and jacket in the car they all rode up in and drove on over to the JPJ Arena. Morgan got a ride over from the partying and could not get in because her ticket was in her purse in the locked car. Could she have been calling them from the parking lot hopeing somebody would come outside and get her purse for her so she could get her ticket and enter the concert? Of course that has to assume they would not come out and she got stuck in the parking lot with God knows who. That would also assume they dumped her things after the concert in the parking lot. And you know what assume means. I think I shall rest a while til we get some more information. I am really reaching. MOO

There was the one witness who reported seeing MH arrive in a car with her female friends (doesn't mention male, iirc). That said, they may have been partying, but that wasn't your main point, it was about her arrival.

Hard not to reach when there's interest coupled with no new information!

The scenario of an ex would possibly explain some of the statements by the Harringtons... for example when they talk about "you can be the hero".. did something go wrong?

But in this scenario would they not know where the ex was or, if on the run, surely they would have put out a description. JMO

I hope I don't offend the feminists among us by saying this - but there is a reason why for thousands and thousands of years females chose males to mate/marry for protection - way back to our cave dwelling ancestors, women are physically smaller and not as strong as most men, women with small children stand little chance of protecting their young from a man who wants to harm them. Of course we can kid ourselves into thinking if we take a karate class or buy a gun it helps even it up and we can protect ourselves - but that isn't necessarily so.

Absolutely agree, it doesn't matter if you're a black belt in all the martial arts, if someone comes up behind you and takes you by surprise, or is a lot bigger than you, or has a weapon, there's really nothing you can do unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro