VA - Nicole Lovell, 13, Blacksburg, 27 January 2016 #2 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
An article I read sounded like both came from nice neighborhoods. It doesn't really matter except people seem to think it's even more odd that they appeared to have everything going for them but still did something incredibly horrible. Perhaps if they came from rough backgrounds people wouldn't be so amazed?

There really are NO great neighborhoods in Laurel. I have inlaws there. It's a craphole!

When will these kids learn that the entire world has access to thier public posts? And, that the world is full of predators just waiting for the attention seeking and sometimes lonely, vulnerable and sometimes misfit kids to come online?

I feel that institutions should provide a solid program as some do with D.A.R.E. and not only educate kids on the dangers of social media, but to also teach them the ramifications and how social media bullying affects others.

Columbia has some not so great pockets and Laurel, where the girl is from, is not so great at all. And Columbia isn't what it once was. No, it's not really all that affluent. VT isn't all that tough to get into. Why does any of this matter though? They are charged with bad things. A little girls is dead.

Though I was aware of Laurel's reputation, I was not aware that Columbia's star had tarnished. None of the extraneous aspects of their lives matter in a purely objective sense. I am aware that a little girl is dead and that they have been charged with bad things. Had I not been concerned about her death, I would probably would not be on this forum.

Well this Wa Po reporter says there will be a bond hearing tomorrow

Bond hearing for Va. Tech student Natalie Keepers delayed until Thurs @ 11 a.m. She is charged in connection with Nicole Lovell's killing.

[video=twitter;694916649959481346]https://twitter.com/jjouvenal/status/694916649959481346[/video]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Columbia has some not so great pockets and Laurel, where the girl is from, is not so great at all. And Columbia isn't what it once was. No, it's not really all that affluent. Why does any of this matter though? They are charged with bad things. A little girls is dead.

I feel like people really want to make DE out to be this attractive, wealthy, smart, popular, athletic guy. I don't really understand it. I've never seen someone so average be built up so much.

Hmmm I've driven through Laurel for 20 years to and from OBX and never thought it seemed seedy. It looks cute enough from Route 1. A number of NKs HS friends on Twitter were commenting that she was their third classmate arrested since graduation.

ETA NVMD no wonder it looked cute it's Laurel DE I pass through.

David may have been smart, but I don't think his engineering major means much at this point. He was a freshman so he was likely taking all of the GE courses. How many engineering classes had he taken? What was his grades? My point is...We don't know so all these posts that are hyping up his academic prowess because of his major don't really make sense.

Holy Cow! You couldn't pay me to go to school there... :hills:

I googled it and the student population is about 30,000 people. They have had their share of serious things but I'm not sure the crime logs would be much different at any other large university.

David may have been smart, but I don't think his engineering major means much at this point. He was a freshman so he was likely taking all of the GE courses. How many engineering classes had he taken? What was his grades? My point is...We don't know so all these posts that are hyping up his academic prowess because of his major don't really make sense.
Agreed. You can declare just about any major you want when you're a freshman. Having what it takes to actually earn the degree is an entirely different ballgame.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I don't think the majority of these kids are taking gen-ed classes. It was pointed out that DE was NK's math tutor. Why would a first semester freshman at VT in engineering need a math tutor?!?

I don't think the majority of these kids are taking gen-ed classes. It was pointed out that DE was NK's math tutor. Why would a first semester freshman at VT in engineering need a math tutor?!?

I went to Penn State where freshman engineering majors are jokingly referred to as pre-business. The math and science classes are extremely challenging to "weed out" those who would not be able to hack it

Thinking out loud here.

I wonder if they binge watched Making A Murderer over break like so many of us did. If either of them had previously thought of killing someone, I wonder if the series inspired them even more. Simply a very random thought here people. Nothing set in stone.

(And there is an odd energy set over this region. You have the VT massacre. Something happening at Tech nearly every other year since. The murders of the news anchor Alison Ward and photojournalist Adam Ward. And countless people dying on Smith Mountain Lake each summer. There are others as well, but they aren't coming to mind at this moment. JMHO of course from someone who lives nearby.)

I feel like people really want to make DE out to be this attractive, wealthy, smart, popular, athletic guy. I don't really understand it. I've never seen someone so average be built up so much.
I dont think people want to make DE into anything. Rather, they are just pointing out some indications that he might atually be:

- intelligent (interest in engineering, evidently a math tutor)
- atheletic ("walking on" a university level track team is hard),
- and somewhat affluent (though Columbia's star has evidently tarnished, it is not "The Combat Zone")

In short, nobody is saying that DE is the scion of blue blood money and a budding nuerosurgeon who was also destined to win a gold medal in track.

Agreed. You can declare just about any major you want when you're a freshman. Having what it takes to actually earn the degree is an entirely different ballgame.
I can accept that. At the same time, he evidently was also a tutor. Though anybody can call themselves a tutor in anything, the totality of stated major and apparent tutor status could indicate that DE is actually intelligent.

So if she does get bond where can she stay? University already said is banned from property. Not like she would be welcomed there. Will her parents take her? But wouldn't that be crossing a state line? Interesting.

He didn't grow up in Columbia, MD he grew up in Yakima, WA. He has only lived in Columbia since junior year of high school.

So if she does get bond where can she stay? University already said is banned from property. Not like she would be welcomed there. Will her parents take her? But wouldn't that be crossing a state line? Interesting.

Hopefully, that reason alone will keep her right where she is if they're on the fence at all. Both need to remain incarcerated to keep the public safe.

Would it be likely that the relationship between Natalie and David was secret and no one really knew about it? You'd think we'd be hearing comments about them being together all the time or about them being a couple.

They are 18 and 19. People that age think they are invincible. They don't think through all the consequences of their actions. They are impulsive. And of course, they are still young and stupid and nowhere near as smart as they think they are. Their combined intelligence is probably no match for one single highly trained detective, let alone an entire department of investigators and officers all working together.
See, people that age tend to judge "smartness" based on peers. Two college kids in an engineering program will be smarter than average, compared to most kids that age. And they probably are smarter than many adults about some things. I, for one, wouldn't want to challenge an engineering student to a friendly game of "Integrate this Function". I've been away from calculus for too long.

That's a world of difference from being smart like police. Police have the skills, time and motivation to check everything you say. And just not talking isn't really an option with cops.

Lots of criminals never seem to plan for after the crime. They fantasize about it, do it, then things fall to pieces. I've heard psychopaths can't connect cause and effect well. I think part of that is an inability to think abstractly. Sure, they understand that killing someone will be frowned on by society. But the can't seem to grasp the way other people will dig for the truth. So to the psychopath, it's wrong, but not that important. whereas to normal people, it's quite important that murderers are brought to account.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member