GUILTY VA - Tina Smith, 41, slain, 12yo daughter abducted, Salem, 2 Dec 2010 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering when/if Brittany actually found out her mother was killed. Could it have happened without her knowing? Could she have left town with him thinking her mother had found out the truth and had thrown her out of the house?

Two things, one where do you see the picture of them at wal-mart. I watched the press conference but they did not show the picture long enough for me to tell if anything in the basket.

I will not bash his Mother. It took a lot of guts for her to step out there and make a statement. You could tell she was very nervous. I took it that she was trying to get him to let Britney go and to turn his self in. She told him to drop her off somewhere or call 9ll. I do not think she is taking up for her son, she was just trying to help this end with Britney and him alive.

I'm wondering when/if Brittany actually found out her mother was killed. Could it have happened without her knowing? Could she have left town with him thinking her mother had found out the truth and had thrown her out of the house?

We don't know that she knows, or that she doesn't.

I stand corrected. A coworker went there Sunday night--not the police
http://www2.wsls.com/news/2010/dec/06/21/amber-alert-issued-missing-12-yr-old-ar-698326/

No, you were right....I saved the article:

Co-workers at Richfield Retirement Community in Salem first called police to the two-story house on Fort Lewis Circle, a quiet cul-de-sac, on Sunday night after Smith failed to show up for work, said Roanoke County police Lt. Chuck Mason.

Officers knocked on the door, but got no answer. There were no cars in the driveway, and the officers saw no reason to force their way inside, Mason said.

"At the time, there wasn't anything suspicious," he said.
About 9:30 a.m. Monday, after Smith failed to show up at work again, a co-worker with a house key walked in and found Smith's body, Mason said. Police wouldn't say how she died.
http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/269968

Rats, I thought this was going to be the Walmart video but it isn't, it's just an article.

Come on ya'll, I know someone knows where it is because you're talking about seeing it. Pretty please? LOL

There is no video yet, just the picture of a still from the video I have posted twice :)

Rats, I thought this was going to be the Walmart video but it isn't, it's just an article.

Come on ya'll, I know someone knows where it is because you're talking about seeing it. Pretty please? LOL

The police have not released the video, only one still shot of the video which was posted above.

I wonder if people who might normally have intervened were more cautious due to the loss of the brother...I mean, knowing the family was in mourning, maybe people who might otherwise have addressed any improper relationship were heistant to do/say anything?

I wonder how often she saw her dad and when she last saw him...if he even knew about the new "roommate"...

Neighbor says best friend from South Boston -- I didn't see that she was a co-worker..... Something tells me she had plans with her friend and didn't show

Whose this friend? EX hubby, cop, father is from South Boston. ???

I wonder if people who might normally have intervened were more cautious due to the loss of the brother...I mean, knowing the family was in mourning, maybe people who might otherwise have addressed any improper relationship were heistant to do/say anything?

I wonder how often she saw her dad and when she last saw him...if he even knew about the new "roommate"...

Totally not related to the case, but the deceased brother's myspace is still online. In it he had made a comment about "never knowing his dad"

Were they not able to confirm time of death...or did they just not release that information? I tried to listen to the PC but the sound, even with speakers all the way up, was barely audible.

I believe I read in the thread that mom and daughter were last seen Friday morning/early afternoon? Do we know if mom worked weekends? If not, it is possible she was killed on Friday evening. We don't know where the homicide took place in the house...I'm assuming not in plain view since nothing abnormal was discovered on the well check on Sunday.

They know what was purchased at Wal-Mart...I'd bet my life. It's so simple to go in and ask for a receipt re-print. I've had to do it at Wal-Mart and Kroger when I've forgotten the receipt for things purchased with my P Card for work. I don't know what to think of the fact that they aren't saying what was purchased. My mind says that what they purchased probably wasn't "good." If they were things to alter appearance, you'd think they'd let the public know. If it were camping/survival type stuff, you'd also think they'd let the public know. What's left? Stuff indicating an inappropriate relationship or things relating to the homicide. Do we know if JE owned any firearms? The time line of this is puzzling. We really don't know when much of anything happened other than the sighting at Wal-Mart. IF the murder had occurred prior and BE looked anxious as someone stated, if she hadn't gone willing, why would she not scream, yell, run, etc while in Wal-Mart? I know kids can get scared in situations like this one, obviously, but in such a populated place, why not attempt to get away? That leads me to believe that either the murder hadn't taken place yet and/or she was willingly there.

The more cases like this that come out, the more I question how much attention parents pay to what their kids are doing? This isn't meant as disrespect towards Brittany's mom at all...just a general statement. I'm not so sure my child, at the age of 12, would have a MySpace or FaceBook. If they did, you'd better believe I would have access to it and would know everything that was posted. I wouldn't hesitate to shut it down, either, if inappropriate things were posted. I'm 25 and my mom is my friend on FB and she knows how to gain access to my account if, God forbid, something were to ever happen.

WHo cares if he is cold or hungry - he is a grown man - that is strange. You worrie if a child is cold and hungry not a man. Maybe his mother thinks Brittay committed the murder and Jeff is protecting her.

Either way he is the criminal and I don't care if he is cold and worst of all HUNGRY. MO

If the man "taking care" of Brittany is cold and hungry... then wouldn't it stand to reason that Brittany would also be cold and hungry?

His Mom was trying to appeal to her son.... by showing concern for him, being non confrontational. But if he is in danger, so is Brittany. If he is outside, so is Brittany.

We have to remember, this IS her child. If your adult child goes missing tomorrow, you are going to worry if they are cold and hungry. That worry isn't going to go away just because they are 30 instead of 13. They are always your child.

When was the last time we saw a suspect's family come out and make a statement, when we didn't hear from the victim's family? That took some guts.

Color me stupid...but what can you buy at Walmart that can't be discussed?

Condoms, pregnancy tests, certain clothing or other things - which would seem to imply a sexual relationship between the people seen buying them.

Bullets, rope, garbage bags, knives, cleaning supplies or other things which would seem to imply a murder or clean up of one.

Anything which would interfere with the investigation and make Brittany look like less of a victim. LE's concern, just like ours is to get her back safely. We are able to accept that she likely has a relationship with this guy and may have knowledge of her mother's murder... yet still try just as hard to find her and bring her back. She is still only 12.

However, the general public doesn't do that. If they see her as a possible accomplice, if they see her buying any of the above with this guy.. they are much more likely to demonize her. Consider her not a victim and not be as helpful in finding her.

They appear to be trying very hard to preserve the integrity of the case. I hope that it pays off. I think it likely will. I agree with his mother, I don't think he will hurt her. The one exception being a possible murder suicide.... aside from that possibility, I think Brittany will be found safely.

86939860-07125804.jpg

When I look at that photo of the still from Walmart for some reason I get the feeling that perhaps he made up some type of story to convince her to go along with him. She doesn't look like she is happy and neither does he. Maybe she doesn't even know her mother is dead. HOWEVER - since LE did not tell us what was purchased at Walmart I can't decide it seems what ever they bought was incriminating enough to not be released. MO

Did they say WHAT walmart they were seen at???
I don't know if the PC did. But in the recent article posted, they said the Salem Walmart.

Seems that the locale would be crucial for public info, to be on the alert and to recall other sightings that may have happened Friday or the weekend, even if they fled the area.

Just so you all know, if it turns out this sweet looking 12 year old girl killed her mommy, my faith in mankind will be permantly shattered. :(

WHo cares if he is cold or hungry - he is a grown man - that is strange. You worrie if a child is cold and hungry not a man. Maybe his mother thinks Brittay committed the murder and Jeff is protecting her.

Either way he is the criminal and I don't care if he is cold and worst of all HUNGRY. MO

2 thoughts... I would assume LE has video of the walmart parking lot also - to know if they are still in the Neon, etc.

Also.. when "mom" spoke at the press conference... yes.. did sound like she was talking to a child - but she was (IMO) trying to be calm, non-threatening and "on his side" - vs. "WHAT THE HE** ARE YOU DOING/THINKING??? GET BACK HERE NOW!" which may be what she is really thinking....???

See LadyLuck's response below:

Two things, one where do you see the picture of them at wal-mart. I watched the press conference but they did not show the picture long enough for me to tell if anything in the basket.

I will not bash his Mother. It took a lot of guts for her to step out there and make a statement. You could tell she was very nervous. I took it that she was trying to get him to let Britney go and to turn his self in. She told him to drop her off somewhere or call 9ll. I do not think she is taking up for her son, she was just trying to help this end with Britney and him alive.

ITA, LadyLuck. I didn't see the presser but I think she probably didn't want to scare him away from returning - she wanted to give him hope that it was okay to return, I love you, I care about you - just return Brittany safe. I'm sure she has all kinds of mixed emotions right now, but more than anything, she probably wants to make sure that a 12-yr-old girl makes it back home alive.

I have no experience with hostage negotiations, but I'm thinking that's probably what they do as well. Try to stay calm, get on the person's good side, gain their trust, act like they have the perp's best interest in mind, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke