Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they believed he was physically abusive at all. I think they latched onto a few of his words that needed no corroboration. *advertiser censored*, three hole wonder, when he said he "pretty much raped her" yada yada ...

I think the foreman said verbally (or emotionally) abusive, iirc. Either way, NOT TRUE.

HLN right now has I now after the commercial they will have an interview with one of the perhaps dismissed jurors. I have not seen this one before... it is with Beth k.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

BBM
It sounds to me like the 4 who would not go with Death believed TA was emotionally/verbally abusive. Abuse is a mitigating factor. Those tapes and texts are not going away. I think if they were framed in such a way that there was an understanding of what she did to make him so angry it might help to diffuse them.

RE: BBM ^ See, I didn't consider that AzWatcher. I assumed that, because they'd found her guilty of M1 AND eligible for DP, they didn't buy the abuse, so I saw it as a non-issue during their sentencing deliberations. I never for a moment that they would/could find her guilty of M1, which obviously implies that they didn't buy the self defense claim, decide that it warranted consideration for the DP, but then decide that her life should be spared because they believe she was verbally/emotionally abused by Travis. I don't get it! Is the JF saying that, had Travis not verbally/emotionally abused Jodi, then none of this would have happened? Someone help me to understand this (please)! :scared:

I understand, I guess I just don't understand the middle part of the equation, determining the cruelty. Most states have in their statute that if convicted of M1, the prosecutor has the option of going for DP or LWOP.

For example, in NC, Shanyia's killer was convicted yesterday of M1. Since it's a DP case, the jury goes straight to deliberations of penalty. There is no determination of cruelty. IMO, if you are convicted of pre-med murder, that's cruelty worthy of DP consideration.

Thanks, that' how its done here in Georgia

I'm still in disbelief that this case had a hung jury. I suppose it being 8 men and 4 women had to do with it after seeing Jodi naked, on the stand for 18 days, and her before killer pictures. I think it's interesting that the 1st degree murder/felony murder was an 8/4 split as well. Sorry if this has already been brought up. I just got to work and watched the foreman interview.

My heart goes out to Travis's friend's and family.

And you know what? I think I have another love but I don't know his name? Not Joey Jackson, not Vinnie, but he's an African American man on that stupid After Dark crap.

LOL you mean Ryan Smith? I was wondering when someone would start that fan club. :floorlaugh: I'm tellin' Mark!

Oh, I know. That's the tragedy, for sure. But now that it's done, for my part, I need to focus on the positive -- they did convict her of murder with extreme cruelty. I think her best shot at LWP was with this jury because of the time the defense spent dragging this thing out. Another jury will be, IMO, much less sympathetic when they hear why this one convicted her. They may leave for deliberations shaking their heads and saying, "Why the heck are we even here? It's obvious what ought to be done." In my view, they may be much quicker to sentence her to death. All Einstein the legal expert has done is delay the inevitable and ensure that it will be that much more wrathful when it does arrive. There's just a wave of energy building, waiting to wash over her like a breaker at Waikiki. I smile at the thought.

:clap:

Thanks for keeping us positive!! :loveyou:

I'm so sad this morning. Sending warm loving vibes to the Alexanders. Hoping Mr Foreperson will never have to deal personally with a psycho stalker.

There is no "they" yet, as we've only heard from the jury foreman. He may only be speaking for himself re TA being emotionally and mentally abusive. His concern for JM's aggressive style tells me he didn't like JM's cross of JA and ALV. It might be an old-school chivalry thing with him. He also might view TA as weak/selfish for not cutting off contact with JA when she moved to Mesa. TA was dating Lisa with a view toward marriage, but having sex with JA too. I bet the foreman would term that abusive. The foreman seems like someone who'd have changed his locks/pws/phone nos. etc. asap after JA arrived and refused to go away. After the tire-slashing, I bet he'd have taken out a protective order against her. All jmo, but the dour, decisive foreman seemed the polar opposite of TA, and didn't understand his decisions/actions re JA. At this point, sounds like the foreman is only speaking for himself.

I hate that I have to agree with you, but I do, totally.

Even my husband, who is extremely law and order, has doubts about Jodi ever being sentenced to death, because her victim is not "sympathetic" enough. Travis derived a great deal of sexual pleasure from her, and used her for those purposes (although JA claims it was mutual, I don't believe she used him for sex, I think she was obsessed and would have loved to have married him). She was sexual kryptonite to him, and that is completely understandable given his age and his religious background. I don't fault Travis at all. Jodi took advantage of TA's vulnerability in this regard, and used it to ingratiate herself with him.

For some reason, for hubby, this taints Travis, and gives Jodi an "understandable" but not quite acceptable motivation for her act(s) of murder, and diminishes her culpability only to the extent where she should not be given the death penalty, but instead life in prison without parole.

Please don't hate on me, because I fiercely disagree with him. Just as Caylee could have been my own daughter, and didn't do anything to deserve her fate, I believe Travis could have been my son, and did nothing to deserve his fate. Nothing he did or didn't do makes me feel any better about what Jodi did to him. Nothing. No sex tape, no angry text exchanges, no bitter words to her, no trying to extricate himself from her grip.

I can't identify with the feeling that some victims are more worthy of the highest (or most severe) form of justice by having their perpetrator be given the ultimate punishment. People are entitled to their own opinions on the DP (and anything else), but I can't get with the reasoning that because Travis might have treated Jodi poorly in some far-fetched scenario (more likely because she was manipulating him, he recognized it and reacted angrily to her manipulation, stalking, obsession, scamming, etc.), that JA is less worthy of receiving the DP than any other convicted PM murderer who is eligible, under the facts of the crime, for the DP.

JMO:twocents:

i think your husband is probably right, unfortunately. seems to me it you're a man and a woman killed you, you'd better have been perfect and never raised your voice in anger or uttered any bad words or you'll be held partly responsible for your own slaughter.

From the State of AZ vs Jodi Arias FB page:

A message to you, from juror 17:

Hello all! I was sent to this page thanks to a friend of mine now that I am able to see and hear things! I was juror 17 and later on I was chosen as an alternate. I was so disappointed and upset to hear my number called after all the time and work I put into this trial! Today was a hard day for the jury but it was also a very hard day for me!! To say I am devastated is an understatement! I feel so much pain that I can't even begin to imagine what Travis's family is feeling! Although today's outcome wasn't what I wanted and probably most of you as well, I just ask that you remember we are all human and no matter which juror voted which way, it was a very hard decision for all of them! I want to send my love and prayers to Travis's family and I really hope they get the right outcome next time!!!

Now THIS is the sort of message we need from jurors. Thanks juror 17 regardless of whether you wanted life or death.

LOL you mean Ryan Smith? I was wondering when someone would start that fan club. :floorlaugh: I'm tellin' Mark!

I think thats him! :hot:

But Mark has an edge because of his personality and he's hilarious.

Don't tell Mark! :princes:

I really pity male victims from all around the world today. Sexism is alive and well...

Unfortunately I agree. There are people that just can't wrap their mind around a woman doing the things JA did. I remember when the Boston marathon bombings happening and the internet exploded with pics on trying to find who did it, my first thought was:

Did anyone consider if the bomber was female?

There are a few things I think may have made a difference. This jury could not "see" how manipulative JA was. They didn't understand the true context/reason for the "abusive"email. They didn't understand the reason why Travis was so angry when he was texting. They didn't understand the difference between a mental disorder & a personality disorder. They should have been given a more accurate explanation of why PW didn't testify notjust JA's explanation. I am confused about how this retrial is supposed to go. Why can the interviews come in now & not before? I am disgusted because I don't understand why ALL the evidence can't be presented. IT HAPPENED, so why can't it be used? It just seems so unfair to the victim's side.

This jury is a joke. Simple. How does this jury sit on one of the longest trials in history, agree on M1 AND cruelty which essentially opens up the doors for DP - and they can't agree? 8 to 4?

Don't come in here saying that we should respect the jury and that they've done a great job. They didn't. What they did was extend this trial another 8 weeks and NOT give closure to the Alexander's.

Don't say you are dp qualified then second guess sentencing Jodi to death if you feel bad that she's too young or it's her first crime, or whatever lame and insufficient excuse those 4 juror's made. Travis' life was taken in the most brutal way.. and you come back hung jury?

I'm done with this trial. I'm glad it'll be off for 8 weeks or however long. This is exactly what is disgusting with our justice system. The DP/LWOP should be majority vote, because if the juror's decision comes down to personal beliefs on sentencing someone to death.. you're pretty much SOL.

I can't answer your question but it your post led me to this thought -

Maybe this hung jury will cause JSS to re-evaluate bending over backwards for the DT as she has thus far?
Maybe it will cause Juan to fight even harder to protect Travis' reputation from baseless accusations?
We can hope so.

Oh my goodness. Juan fought for Travis' reputation with all his heart, passion, and huge abilities. Juan's fierce defense of Travis is precisely why I have come to admire him so much as a human being, as well as an atty.

Was the foreman "The Artist" (#18) after all? It sounds to me like he DID fall for the Arias BS, or at least a lot of it. Emotionally and verbally abused?? Once again, the way the defense cherry-picked the texts and IMs and pushed the REPEAT button so many times seems to have confused the jury (or at least the jury foreman) on the limited use of strong language by Travis overall throughout their relationship. Since they were not privy to the things she had done to Travis precipitating those texts/IMs, they bought the lie. Hearing this, I'm AMAZED that they found her guilty of M1. I'm once again disgusted with the entire judicial process and/or the overwhelming lack of knowledge on the part of the majority of people about the characteristics and, in this case, evilness of some personality-disordered people. I guess some of us just know too much about this and will never be able to relate to people who remain ignorant of sociopaths, narcissists and their ilk.

Will someone please tell me the difference between murder and felony murder? I done forgotted and its bugging me that they were split on that. TIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faefawn