verdict watch 5/8/2013 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG. HlLN is scraping the barrel, trying to fit the trial into a "disfunctional family" dynamic in telenovella style. Let's hope this is the bottom of the barrel.

For the most part we've done nothing but praise jury for the last few months, apart from trying to read behind/in front/over/through/next to a couple of their questions. We have to trust them. They've not asked any questions yet so IMO they know what they need to do and they are doing it.

Of course I wish they would hurry up too but they are well aware of the importance of this decision. They aren't making it lightly. We can't fault them for that...

DEFENDANT’S MOTION FOR DISCOVERY OF VICTIM IMPACT EVIDENCE

The defense wants to know what the state plans to put forth in the penalty phase.. They are looking for discoverable information.

I'm confused...this doesn't sound like the same thing as victim impact statements

quote=nursebeeme;9393214]slightly o/t: at the hallmark store check out they had GIANT tootsie pops! (like the size of a softball! :eek:

TootsieOop.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/QUOTE]

I wonder how many licks it takes to get to the center of this Tootsie Pop.

I am curious about the effects of media attention has on jury deliberations.

Specifically I wonder if media attention can be shown to contaminate thoughtful orderly analysis of evidence and testimony.
I suspect that jurors are painfully aware of the notoriety and that their verdict will be highly scrutinized.
Jurors in high profile cases are then interviewed by HLN or 48 Hours and thus reap their own 15 minutes of fame.

My hunch is that intense media attention does indeed warp the “ordinary” deliberation process. Jurors are transmogrified into analytical machines of the first order as each and every one sniffs out holes in the state’s case. Forensic evidence normally not even mentioned is found to be in error. Horn failed to mention the dural tear at the entry wound THUS the state’s entire case is SUSPECT and THUS there is now cause to invoke “reasonable doubt”.

Media attention paid to crime cases fulfills NO obvious public good. There is really no sincere “right for the public to know” question when allowing cameras into the courtroom. Why not?
Otherwise the courts should place cameras in every court room and let the public dial through the various cases being adjudicated on any given day. Cities should provide this as an ordinary public service just like cameras often cover City Council debates.

The Arias case is a veritable "train wreck" and its lure is based on prurient interests stemming from the viewing public. Because the Arias case is blood curdling and sensational, it possesses immense entertainment value.
The Arias case is being covered intensely because HLN can parlay viewership ratings into big buck profits. The price the public will pay for HLN’s intense scrutiny- or all the HLN After Dark episodes - is another miscarriage of justice and jury verdict error.

The DT has a motion asking the State to provide them with what the family is going to say at the sentencing

Is this normal protocol?

(To have DT provided with family statements?)

TIA....:seeya:

ETA...Oops... I want to thank AZLawyer for answering this question...

On a positive note re: DT's motion this morning, sounds like they are expecting a M1 conviction and want to prepare JA

oh I don't think it takes a Einstein to know what's comming( right Jodi?). And she doesn't want anyone to say anything bad about her in a VIS? Even her parents really can't say that much good about her. oh they didn't in the police video tapes. So much for her side of the family saving her life.:rockon:

honesty moment: i havent taken my macbook w me the past few days when i leave the house. now like everyone here: ive bathed with it, peed with it, smoked outside and carried it with me like a baby. but for some reason i havent touched it the past two days. i woke up today and told my husband leave the book!!! please let my feeling be right

OK! It's getting deep over here. JVM and guest talking about the jury having people over 60 years old on it, and how they might not get the "new" dating thing, and not having computers! GMAFB! I'm within days of being 65. I've had a computer since "forever", and everybody I know (my age and older) have had one for ever.. I pretty much know all the dirty words, even if I don't use them all. I do think anal sex is gross, and I'll never get that some people are into it. Other than that....I"m pretty much like everybody else. Oh.... and I have a ton of common sense, something that's lacking in a lot of the younger people today, thanks to our age group giving them everything their little hearts desire! Rant is now over......move along.....nothing to see here!

Back when people could smoke in restaurants, my DH always asked me to light one up when he was tired of waitibg for his food - because as soon as I lit up the food would come.

In that same spirit, I've made plans to go to a neighbor's at 230 ET today. If the verdict comes in while I'm there...well, you can all thank me later.

I just saw a commercial on HLN--right in the middle of the Arias coverage--and it started with a song that featured a female voice singing "I'm gonna use my two hands, I'm gonna move a mountain...":clap:

I had no idea that the legal process allows the defense to counter victim impact statements. Wow. That gets so personal, I can only imagine how emotional the courtroom gets at that point.

that just seems like a really stupid thing to do, especially in THIS case, with THIS family. i can't imagine challenging their grief or their recollections of TA in any way could be good for the defense.

maybe it's just part of their ongoing torture of TA's family because they refused their plea offer.

....we should all, in solidarity, go change our cat litter in exactly fifteen minutes.....

O/T

I bought the City Kitty toilet training kit through Groupon. I put it on my potty, and happily showed my eight year old cat, Ollie, where she would now do her business. She gave me a look I can only describe as deeply unamused, then went and peed on the towels that were sorted on my utility room floor where her litter box used to be.

I caught on real fast and the City Kitty is in storage somewhere.

TO me & this is MOO-This motion is more of Jodi wanting to drag Travis & his family even more through the mud..

She can't even give them their tremendous grief without throwing some more BS out there

She sooo deserves the DP!!

Laura08 posted about the CNN coverage on Smart's comment that women should be told they are still valuable even if raped.

What convert Jodi didn't realize is that she has zero value as a prospective wife in the Mormon single adult world.

I didn't want to get a TO, so I couldn't really mention this before but Jodi never had a chance for the very reason that Elizabeth Smart has commented on yesterday and expanded today. (link below)

She says she didn't cry out for help because she had been taught --clearly while very young--that losing her virginity meant she was like a used piece of gum. Totally worthless and disposable. In this article, others in the Mormon faith speak of the analogies which were used to persuade young women to avoid premarital sex.

I myself heard the bandaid analogy--how many times can you rip off the bandaid and still have a bond? If you google duct tape and Mormon, you will find an analogy on the web right now which compares losing virginity to peeling off duct tape again and again.

Many have posted regarding a "licked cupcake" comparison being taught right now in Young Women's classes. When a returned missionary goes to choose a wife from the cupcakes on the shelf, will he choose one with a big lick mark on it?

Jodi's inappropriate behavior shows that she was completely ignorant of the morays of the subculture she joined. What was viewed as being cute and seductive in her lower class dormitory-living underclass is viewed as being repulsive by virtually all Mormons. She might as well have been wearing a tattoo on her forehead "Not Marriage Material" and an arm bracelet saying "Keep Me Away From Your Husband."

The only reason Ryan Burns would have anything to do with her was because he was a JACK MORMON and didn't care so much about maintaining his reputation.

This is also the reason that Travis felt so bad about Deanna. He apologized to her and she suggested it was because she was ready for marriage "then" and is no longer so interested. The truth is he felt responsible for taking up her time and her virginity, leaving her less desirable and past the prime age. Now she's in a married ward and has zero chances of marrying anybody but a divorced man or a widower.

And I can tell you from personal experience, most of those divorced men/widowers in their thirties and even forties are also wanting those twenty-something virginal naive Mormon women with no kids.

anagrammy thank you, the lawyers & the mental health pros on this site each time you post i am more enlightened. :moo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onus