VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Retrial Day 43

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Off to bed...I have signed up for the alert...see you guys in a few!

Just a few Morning Tweets:

Katie Conner retweeted
ABC15 Arizona ‏@abc15 · 3h3 hours ago

9:30AM: Jury deciding punishment for #JodiArias to resume deliberations http://on.abc15.com/18g87Aj #abc15

Katie Conner ‏@KatieJConner · 2h2 hours ago

We're on day 4 of deliberations for #JodiArias trial.
Do you think there will be a verdict today? #TravisAlexander #abc15

From Jen:
Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ · 4m4 minutes ago

#jodiarias jury is back to deliberating at 9ish MST. Today was my guess for verdict day.
See you at the courthouse!

I bet they have one already. You know how secretive this judge has been. I believe they were upset last night because the judge shut them down on reading the verdict.

I pray this is the case!

I tend to doubt it, yesterday the court PIO tweeted the jurors would resume deliberations today, I don't think he'd have done that if a verdict was in hand and waiting to be read.

I also think this jury really wants to reach a verdict, they know why they're there and have suffered through a lot to get to this point, I don't think they'd easily punt the decision to the judge.

Nothing about this is going to change anything except the residence to the Perryville Unit. Jodi will still be GUILTY. Even if the final verdict is the DP, she will still be around for decades if it's ever carried out.

Good points, Mindmatters.

In fact it was just yesterday I read on WS that something like 50% of all DP convictions are overturned in AZ. Anti-DP advocates are quite numerous and vociferous. She'll get much less attention if she gets LWOP and few, if any, advocates for her since there's nothing to advocate for. She's not going free, I feel confident about that.

With the DP she will have more than 1 opportunity to appeal because she can keep appealing up the chain, although only the first one will be paid for by the state, if I understand how it works.

Admittedly, I am typically not pro-DP but I make exceptions (Manson murders, Arias) when it's a given the act was committed by the criminal (and there's no question about that) and the crime was horrendous.

But I keep thinking about how LWOP will get her out of our faces much more quickly and in the long run, too. She gets the DP, she will get her appeals and might even end up getting it overturned, too. I don't know, there's pros and cons for both outcomes if you ask me. That's why my faith is in this jury. They will make the correct choice, the choice that's meant to be and I will be satisfied.

Good points, Mindmatters.

In fact it was just yesterday I read on WS that something like 50% of all DP convictions are overturned in AZ. Anti-DP advocates are quite numerous and vociferous. She'll get much less attention if she gets LWOP and few, if any, advocates for her since there's nothing to advocate for. She's not going free, I feel confident about that.

With the DP she will have more than 1 opportunity to appeal because she can keep appealing up the chain, although only the first one will be paid for by the state, if I understand how it works.

Here is the deal, you mention over and over again that if she gets LWOP she won't have as many appeals, she will go away sooner, costs are too high etc. And I say there is no way that I personally would bow down or concede to what are essentially threats in the name of "actual" Justice. The thought of not pursuing a just and appropriate sentence in the name of "what ifs" is just not on my list of things that should be done.

The people of AZ have decided that the DP is in fact an option for sentencing, and as such they shouldn't cower in the face of "possibilities" when they have a concrete option for punishment. If you do not stand for something you will fall for anything and I think the people of AZ stand for death as a consequence for premeditated, cruel murder. But hey that's just me, and this Texas girl would never reside in a state that doesn't have this option for punishment.

The future princess of Perryville is not happy

Jodi Arias Updates @JodiAnnArias · 10h 10 hours ago
The Alexanders' intimidation techniques may work against them.

A serious jury would not be sympathetic to unnecessary added pressure while they're trying to do their job.

https://twitter.com/JodiAnnArias

Good Morning:seeya:
I tell ya, if these snow storms don't stop soon I am going to start screaming!!
2-4 inches this pm thru overnight..and 5-9 tomorrow night...

A serious jury would not be sympathetic to unnecessary added pressure while they're trying to do their job.

Her tweets are like cabbage farts.

Good Morning:seeya:
I tell ya, if these snow storms don't stop soon I am going to start screaming!!
2-4 inches this pm thru overnight..and 5-9 tomorrow night...
Im so with you. We are getting carp for the next 3 days. I am soooooooo over winter. I have put a bounty on the groundhog.

The Kelly Gissendaner DP case is a good example of how differently the DP is reached depending on case/defendant. KD conspired with her boyfriend to beat and stab to death her husband. She did not participate in the actual murder and still received DP. KP is not an attractive young woman; in fact she's rather masculine in appearance imo. I cannot help but believe in some cases appearance is a factor.

JA's crime warrants the DP. I read AZ's criteria for meeting it, and her butcher of Travis is a qualifier imo. Her mitigators do not outweigh the gravity and heinousness of her act. I was raised in Texas, a DP state and have always supported it under certain conditions. In the KG case, I doubt I would have voted for death.

Kelly Gissendaner, death row inmate in Georgia scheduled for execution gets delayed again.

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/2015/03/02/kelly-gissendaner-execution/24255189/

RBBM:

:hilarious: :hilarious: "future princess" ... lol !

She thinks she is going to be the "Queen Bee" when she arrives ... ain't gonna happen ... she'll be more like their "maid" !

:cheers:

Well, not exactly. TV stations, like Court TV and HLN, make their money by selling advertising. We also pay our cable and satellite providers for these channels, since they are not over-the-air channels. FOX 10 could air the trial for "free" but they probably do not think that viewership will be great enough for them to sell enough advertising to pay for it. They'll probably dole it out in bits and pieces and maybe someday put parts of it up on YouTube eventually.

"If the service is free to you, then you are the product being sold." or something like that.

The added complication here is that the court evidently charges $$$$ for the videos of a trial. The networks have traditionally recouped their costs with advertising dollars. Subscriber sites have every right to pass on their expenses. Expenses will include the costs for the video purchase, tech time, hassle, all of it.

There is a widespread concept in the US that if a work product isn't free, the person who provides it must be unethical, gouging, "ripping off", unlawful...... I get this all the time at work: people don't think they should have to pay for what issues from my brain, even if I've spent hours working on it. They often believe they're entitled to help themselves to it for free and are stunned when I bring up the fact that it has a value.

At any rate, the flap over the trial videos seems to be a conflict over ethics and whether one should have to pay for access. My answer is, anyone can pay for access. They can get it from the court directly or from a provider. If they choose not to pay, well, heck, maybe they don't have to see it?

Here is the deal, you mention over and over again that if she gets LWOP she won't have as many appeals, she will go away sooner, costs are too high etc. And I say there is no way that I personally would bow down or concede to what are essentially threats in the name of "actual" Justice. The thought of not pursuing a just and appropriate sentence in the name of "what ifs" is just not on my list of things that should be done.

The people of AZ have decided that the DP is in fact an option for sentencing, and as such they shouldn't cower in the face of "possibilities" when they have a concrete option for punishment. If you do not stand for something you will fall for anything and I think the people of AZ stand for death as a consequence for premeditated, cruel murder. But hey that's just me, and this Texas girl would never reside in a state that doesn't have this option for punishment.

I am actually opposite. I am glad I live in a state (Minnesota) that doesn't have the death penalty. It sickens me to know that there are times when parts of this country who use it actually kill people who were innocent all along. There have been cases where this happened. That is disgusting to me. But I won't get into this further as it's a debate all by itself.

So it's definitely different strokes. But like I said, I make an exception when the death penalty is in play in certain states and certain factors are fulfilled (you know without a doubt the defendant did the crime, crime was horrific). Which is why I want death for Arias because she did this crime, the crime was horrific, and the family wants her to get the DP. Thus, I support it.

In the poll we have on here, I picked the 5th of March cause it was the full moon. People say that weird things happen on the full moon, and since this whole penalty phase was weird, it seemed appropriate. :ufo: We are creeping closer to that date. Wonder if the verdict will come on Thurs.

d6c4be0d3da49f7c33b4401bcc389d34.jpg
link

Nothing about this is going to change anything except the residence to the Perryville Unit. Jodi will still be GUILTY. Even if the final verdict is the DP, she will still be around for decades if it's ever carried out.

Whether visible or not, I believe the Alexanders have been bound and shackled along with their brother's murderer throughout these last seven years. When JA's sentence is read, their chains will fall and true healing and closure will begin. :rose: Hoping today is the day!

Admittedly, I am typically not pro-DP but I make exceptions (Manson murders, Arias) when it's a given the act was committed by the criminal (and there's no question about that) and the crime was horrendous.

But I keep thinking about how LWOP will get her out of our faces much more quickly and in the long run, too. She gets the DP, she will get her appeals and might even end up getting it overturned, too. I don't know, there's pros and cons for both outcomes if you ask me. That's why my faith is in this jury. They will make the correct choice, the choice that's meant to be and I will be satisfied.

Even if she gets DP and it is overturned some day, she does not go free. She's under lock and key for life either way so I am now ready to accept the sentence the jury finds appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo