Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not accurate. Hallahan has not said on what date RT first told his story to LE. What he said was that RT has told LE the story to investigators since the "beginning" but he has never said when the "beginning" was. To my knowledge, it has never been reported when LE first questioned RT. It would be unlikely that a man with 20 plus years of arrests and convictions answered questions without a lawyer present and he didn't have a lawyer until after his arrest because his lawyer was court-appointed at the advisement hearing. Once he had a lawyer, LE told the lawyer that there was a hair in the camper. That is when the lawyer then went to the media with RT's story. I have never seen a report that RT was told about the hair by LE before his arrest, and as stated above, I have never seen any reports of interrogations/interviews of RT prior to his arrest. Have I missed something?
Along the same lines, there is no confirmation that the surveillance video shows the cars pulling out of the gas station, and no confirmation that RT was following Alexis or vice versa. This thread has become a bit of a game of telephone...

Yep, thats what I said yesterday. I stopped correcting people because I felt like I was being mean. We have no confirmation of most of the things being stated on this thread. Sure he probably was caught on video at the gas station. We dont know that, let alone him pulling out in front of her or behind her.

Is there definite evidence that he followed her? I don't remember LE saying one way or another.

I think most people would be shocked at who teenagers trust and approach. Nelson County for the most part is a very safe place. I don't think it's impossible to believe that she would have talked with him and possibly discussed buying pot.

first off, I have been following this thread everyday but have only posted in it a few times. thank you to all the wonderful posters who keep us all up to date on the latest developments..

this morning i had a very scary experience which is what is leading me to post on here right now. I was in a very busy shopping center where the lot is normally filled with cars, but it was pretty early and I just had to run into CVS and my car was kinda isolated from the few other cars based on the store I was going into. I had my 2 year old with me. After we were done, I put her back in her carseat and got into the drivers seat, keys in the ignition, car on etc. My window was down. All of the sudden, almost out of nowhere, a man is at the side of my window telling me he owns a photography business and is handing out fliers about his business. I immediately noticed he only had one flier in his hand. He asked if he could talk to me about doing a family photo. I also noticed he had one hand in his pocket (all of this happened within a 5 second span). Normally, I would be nice and take the flier and wish him well, tell him to have a good day, etc, but this time, I rolled up my window and sped away. I have no clue what this man's intentions were, for all I know he was most likely just trying to promote his business and prob thinks im a crazy, rude lady, but still. It scared the crap out of me. I then looked in my rear view mirror and saw him get into a pickup truck, not passing out any more fliers. It didn't look like he was following me but I drove to the police department anyway and sat in the parking lot for 5 minutes just to be on the safe side. Maybe I'm paranoid but it really creeped me out, especially with my 2 year old in the car. In my younger days, I prob would have taken the flier and made small talk with the guy just to be nice. I kinda feel stupid like i was really rude to him and he was out just trying to put in an honest days work promoting a new business, but oh well. Safety is always #1. Thanks for letting me rant!

I guess the point of this experience is to just express how easy it could be for someone to lure another person, or overtake them in their vehicle if they aren't suspecting anything suspicious or nefarious

^ Wow, that does seem creepy... one flyer and a pickup? I think you did just the right thing...

I think the fact that she openly talked about smoking pot on her SM makes his story seem a half fit.

there was a good bit of pot talk on Aug 1 first even on Alexis's twitter. Either she did trust this guy enough to associate with him related to pot or he reads social media and concocted this because it fits.

Just my opinion and speculation based on:
- what I have read on here and other sites
- what I have heard from people around town
- living in the area for a number of years

I think he had been watching AM on SM for a while. Her profiles (on Ask, Twitter, FB, Instagram, Vine, etc.) were easy to find by searching for a young female in Nelson, or even her by name.

I don't think AM really knew RAT, but I think she recognized him as the father of a kid at her school, a resident of the area, someone she'd frequently seen hanging out at local spots (car wash, Liberty, Food Lion, etc.) . . even talking to people she knew (its a VERY small community).

I think RAT targeted AM, specifically. I think he approached her at Liberty and based on the above, she felt comfortable enough to converse with him. I think he made additional comments that made her feel even more comfortable ("I am the guy that works where your aunt bought her car" . . . . "I'm the guy your friend _______ gets weed from", etc.). These conversations led to him offering to give her weed (for herself or her friend). She agreed.

He suggested they do the transaction somewhere less populated (Cannery Road or his trailer). She knew both locations and exited Liberty, without needing his lead. He followed in his vehicle. When they got to the agreed-upon (desolate) spot, he attacked her.

Such a sad speculation, but I really think this is what happened. :(

As far as I understand the law, it makes no difference for the abduction charge if someone went there willingly. It matters only that that person was detained against their will at some point after they arrived.

I understand that, but as I understand this unfolding of events, they have him on abduction first and formost, from the Liberty. What I meant was, they have RAT for abduction above and beyond anything that transpired at the trailer with/without CRD.
What I am trying to wrap my head around completely is that she was flat out abducted from Point A--the Liberty.
If there was a CRD involved and he left with Alexis, he would absolutely be in custody. So, we need to follow the only lead, that in which CRD is not in custody, and dedeuce that RAT's story is false, not a little bit false, but
very and completely false! He abducted, confined and murdered Alexis, and then hid her body, IMO.
By debating whether or not she went willingly, had a friend with her, sold or bought pot, we are playing right into RAT's hands by creating reasonable doubt. I'm not trying to say don't discuss it, but, this guy is a consummate liar, abductor and assaulter and most likely a murderer as well. And again, by saying he was the BUYER, not the SELLER of the pot, he is creating, he thinks, another misdemeanor offense to walk away from after he tries to confound the grand jury. i.e., they might not be sure she didn't walk away with CRD, etc. Just needs a little doubt.
IMO, they have the CRD, whom he tried to incorporate into the story, because he knows Alexis knows him, and he will testify for the prosecution because he has an alibi, probs.
I agree that pot dealers come in all sizes, ages, and colors, but in this case, he is an abductor first and foremost. Everyone says what a tight knit trusting community Shipman is, but then, everyone there would know, including Alexis, that this guy just barely got away from another trial for abducting.
I might've trusted someone for weed when I was that age, but then not if I knew the guy avoided an abduction/murder charge just because L:E made a mistake!

I don't think AMs abduction had anything to do with her trying to score weed
from RAT, in fact his story is the opposite it's he who wanted the weed iirc.
if indeed he is a serial killer or at least responsible for the disappearance of some missing young women he has to have some kind of tried and true method.

first off, I have been following this thread everyday but have only posted in it a few times. thank you to all the wonderful posters who keep us all up to date on the latest developments..

this morning i had a very scary experience which is what is leading me to post on here right now. I was in a very busy shopping center where the lot is normally filled with cars, but it was pretty early and I just had to run into CVS and my car was kinda isolated from the few other cars based on the store I was going into. I had my 2 year old with me. After we were done, I put her back in her carseat and got into the drivers seat, keys in the ignition, car on etc. My window was down. All of the sudden, almost out of nowhere, a man is at the side of my window telling me he owns a photography business and is handing out fliers about his business. I immediately noticed he only had one flier in his hand. He asked if he could talk to me about doing a family photo. I also noticed he had one hand in his pocket (all of this happened within a 5 second span). Normally, I would be nice and take the flier and wish him well, tell him to have a good day, etc, but this time, I rolled up my window and sped away. I have no clue what this man's intentions were, for all I know he was most likely just trying to promote his business and prob thinks im a crazy, rude lady, but still. It scared the crap out of me. I then looked in my rear view mirror and saw him get into a pickup truck, not passing out any more fliers. It didn't look like he was following me but I drove to the police department anyway and sat in the parking lot for 5 minutes just to be on the safe side. Maybe I'm paranoid but it really creeped me out, especially with my 2 year old in the car. In my younger days, I prob would have taken the flier and made small talk with the guy just to be nice. I kinda feel stupid like i was really rude to him and he was out just trying to put in an honest days work promoting a new business, but oh well. Safety is always #1. Thanks for letting me rant!

I guess the point of this experience is to just express how easy it could be for someone to lure another person, or overtake them in their vehicle if they aren't suspecting anything suspicious or nefarious

OMG, you weren't paranoid at all, you did the right thing, only I wouldn't even have stopped to roll the window up, it would be like instantly, buh-bye and then off to the police. Kudos to you!
In this day and age, any kind of solicitation in a parking lot should be reported, these people can work with accomplices, carjack you, etc. If they really want to solicit clients, at the very least they should get permission from the store and stand in front of the store where everyone can see them. I have a new rule now, I say no to almost every single solicitor for anything.
Also, what's up with all these places from fast food to grocery and retail stores asking you every time you visit, while you're paying, to donate a dollar to this or that? and it always sounds reasonable, but I again say "No, I just can't donate to everyone who's asking for a dollar
so to be fair it's no, thank you." The other day, I was asked for a dollar at Taco Bell, Dollar Store and Kroger's! what a scam. krogers is a zillion dollar company, why can't they just donate the money themselves?

What did she note, if at all, she was interested in studying? What does she want to "be" when she grows up?

If RAT noticed this interest of hers, he could have also used it as a means to bait her.

My understanding is that she was hoping to go to college on an athletic scholarship from volleyball, and intending or at least interested in getting a degree in accounting...... that's been stated by her family in a couple of articles but can't think of which ones of the top of my head... I think one was called "Everybody's Daughter" Maybe??

I know there's no way to verify this yet, but for now I'm still of the opinion he never saw any of her SM (mostly based on the electricity set-up, the physical renting of *advertiser censored*, etc). So I really, really hope it never comes to light that the lawyer checked out AM online when he first got the case and in any way guided RAT to that story, perhaps accidentally—making it "fit" what the public would already have discovered about her.

This is obviously purely speculation on my end and in no way an accusation—after all, I'd be shocked if the lawyer didn't check out her online presence purely out of due diligence, and attorney-client privilege would prevent us from knowing what sorts of discussion was had about it, if any. I just feel like if there hadn't already been some indication that AM made public weed references online, it would be way too big of a risk to release a story like the gas station/camper one, for fear of family members/friends calling it out for its implausibility, especially with a popular student athlete like AM who doesn't fit what some older folks still think is the image of the typical teenage "drug user."

But in this case, family members and friends all now have the same information as whoever concocted the weed story, if it was indeed concocted. Sorry if OT or too speculative; just venting away a bad gut feeling I've had for a while now.

I know there's no way to verify this yet, but for now I'm still of the opinion he never saw any of her SM (mostly based on the electricity set-up, the physical renting of *advertiser censored*, etc). So I really, really hope it never comes to light that the lawyer checked out AM online when he first got the case and in any way guided RAT to that story, perhaps accidentally—making it "fit" what the public would already have discovered about her.

This is obviously purely speculation on my end and in no way an accusation—after all, I'd be shocked if the lawyer didn't check out her online presence purely out of due diligence, and attorney-client privilege would prevent us from knowing what sorts of discussion was had about it, if any. I just feel like if there hadn't already been some indication that AM made public weed references online, it would be way too big of a risk to release a story like the gas station/camper one, for fear of family members/friends calling it out for its implausibility, especially with a popular student athlete like AM who doesn't fit what some older folks still think is the image of the typical teenage "drug user."

But in this case, family members and friends all now have the same information as whoever concocted the weed story, if it was indeed concocted. Sorry if OT or too speculative; just venting away a bad gut feeling I've had for a while now.

I totally agree. Have always doubted his Internet and social media usage. Also the buying of *advertiser censored* dvd's when, if he had a good Internet connection he could download *advertiser censored*.

In regard to any internet usage, the purchase of *advertiser censored* doesn't mean anything. Have many friends that watch loads of internet *advertiser censored*, buy *advertiser censored*, and rent *advertiser censored*, all at the same time. It is a man thing.

Since he could text, he may have been able to look up things if a cell phone provided internet access.

I have no idea. He did sit in a parking lot watching people, so he could figure out things from just those daily observations. If he saw someone often enough, he could establish that person's pattern.

In regard to any internet usage, the purchase of *advertiser censored* doesn't mean anything. Have many friends that watch loads of internet *advertiser censored*, buy *advertiser censored*, and rent *advertiser censored*, all at the same time. It is a man thing.

Since he could text, he may have been able to look up things if a cell phone provided internet access.

I have no idea. He did sit in a parking lot watching people, so he could figure out things from just those daily observations. If he saw someone often enough, he could establish that person's pattern.

I only have Internet connection on my cell phone.

I totally agree. Have always doubted his Internet and social media usage. Also the buying of *advertiser censored* dvd's when, if he had a good Internet connection he could download *advertiser censored*.

This is why I don't think he used sm either. Everyone knows the internet = free *advertiser censored*. Hell, you can google a word that's vaguely sexual and get tons of free images and from the privacy of your home -where no one would know. I don't think he had an internet connection where he lived and probably had crappy cell tower signal as well.

I mean - who even buys *advertiser censored* lol

I have a feeling he researched her afterwards because it's a small town and people would obviously talk and often times people follow the crimes they commit via the news. All it takes is a few clicks on major news sites to see her instagram photos.

not only that but he could always say he was interested because he was "falsely" blamed last time.

I am not certain what the rules are for posting information from Facebook comments so I will only link and tell where the information is and who it is from.

This comment is on the Help Find Alexis Murphy FB page. It is located on the right under Recent Posts by Others on Help Find Alexis Murphy by S E with four comments.

https://www.facebook.com/Findalexismurphy?ref=ts&fref=ts

This is probably one of hundreds of similar type tips LE has to investigate. Some will be a waste of resources but hopefully others will Help Find Alexis.

Since you have a 2-year-old child, I am pretty sure you are around the age I was when something sort of similar happened to me back in 1978. I used to have extremely long hair. I was pregnant and was just barely showing (if at all). I was getting groceries at a Kroger store. This young man came up to me right in the first grocery store isle. He proceeded to tell me that he "does makeup and hair" for the local theater and has to be able to put women's hair up in a fast manner. He then asked if I ever wore my hair up. I said yes, and he actually asked me to show him. I was pretty young and believed him, BUT, he then asked if I'd mind coming to his car to show him how I put it up. I was so shocked that I do not think I even went and got the manager. I still think of this a lot and in reading your post, it makes me think you, too, will remember your incident long after your 2-year-old is grown and away at college. So happy you did the right thing. I admire you.

Bettie, that is exactly what I think his lawyer did do, and, I think his lawyer is on WS too.

Not accurate. Hallahan has not said on what date RT first told his story to LE. What he said was that RT has told LE the story to investigators since the "beginning" but he has never said when the "beginning" was. To my knowledge, it has never been reported when LE first questioned RT. It would be unlikely that a man with 20 plus years of arrests and convictions answered questions without a lawyer present and he didn't have a lawyer until after his arrest because his lawyer was court-appointed at the advisement hearing. Once he had a lawyer, LE told the lawyer that there was a hair in the camper. That is when the lawyer then went to the media with RT's story. I have never seen a report that RT was told about the hair by LE before his arrest, and as stated above, I have never seen any reports of interrogations/interviews of RT prior to his arrest. Have I missed something?
Along the same lines, there is no confirmation that the surveillance video shows the cars pulling out of the gas station, and no confirmation that RT was following Alexis or vice versa. This thread has become a bit of a game of telephone...

I agree. However, all I said is that RT has had the same story from the beginning. I didn't say when that allegedly was, nor did I claim it happened before he was arrested. I have been asking questions throughout this case when assumptions have been made. I've read multiple posts that stated RT followed Alexis out of the gas station, as though it were fact. I haven't seen proof yet.

As I said before, we really need a list of verified facts in this case for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot!