Found Deceased WA - Jenise Wright, 6, Bremerton, 2 Aug 2014 - #5 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rape is not about sex? Why is it called sexual assault then?

I believe the point is that the circumstance is the turn on, not (just) what the person looks like.

I disagree with this idea that rape is about power and control that somehow sprouted in the 1970s. If that were true, victims would range from attractive to unattractive, old and young, male or female. The fact is, that rapists prefer a very specific target and it's usually young, attractive and female. It's about sex and violence. It's about having a fetish for violent sex. IMHO.

That's not true at all. At All.
Rape Victims *do* "range from attractive to unattractive, old and young, male or female".

There's a whole lot of myths flying about rape throughout this thread.

From here http://rapetraumaservices.org/?page_id=112 :

There are a lot of myths about rape and sexual assault and media reporting is often very distorted. You should remember:

• When a person is raped or sexually abused it was not her or his fault.

• Research shows, the common tendency to blame victims comes from the fear that any one of us can be hurt.

• Rape is an act of violence and cruelty, which knows no cultural, ethnic, racial, age, or gender boundaries.

• Most people know their offender. He or she may be a partner, relative, friend, or work colleague.

• Most rapes are planned.

• “Sexy” clothing does not provoke rape. Neither does age nor attractiveness.

Also:
http://www.indstate.edu/svp/mythfacts.htm
http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/faculty/jhamlin/3925/myths.html
http://www.rapecrisis.org.uk/commonmyths2.php

I think I was mistaken on the identity of the suspect fwiw. I'm on the wrong trail -

Mea culpa.

My guess is she awakened earlier than the rest of the household on Sunday morning, and wandered out.

This is my theory too. I have to wonder just how early and how or why the perp was up at that time. As most teens are late sleepers, I have to wonder if he hadn't gone to bed yet.

That's not true at all. At All.
Rape Victims *do* "range from attractive to unattractive, old and young, male or female".

There's a whole lot of myths flying about rape throughout this thread.

From here http://rapetraumaservices.org/?page_id=112 :

Also:
http://www.indstate.edu/svp/mythfacts.htm
http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/faculty/jhamlin/3925/myths.html
http://www.rapecrisis.org.uk/commonmyths2.php

That depends on what one considers a myth.

"Society’s passions, however, must be ignited by truth. Even though the raping behavior of a specific individual likely involves a complex intertwining of motivations, the one common and overriding motivation of all rapists is sexual. So let’s examine some commonsense and empirical truths about rape that debunk the feminist rape-isn’t-about-sex myth and support the contention that rape is about sex. "

http://www.drtraycehansen.com/Pages/writings_politics.html

Whether you agree with her parents parenting, her family are victims too. Her parents, her siblings, her community even.
Youre correct but as parents we have a responsibility to supervise and protect our children. IMO it doesnt sound like Jenise's parents did this. They are victims yes and Im sure they are well aware of their shortcomings without beig told but should we really be turning a blind eye on bad parenting? Parents dont get a pass because the truth hurts IMO.

Just heard on Kiro 7 News that the accused was a neighbour. So I am thinking he lived very close to the Wrights.

Am I allowed to say this here? Delete if not.

ETA typo

I will always be enraged by child neglect, whether the child is neglected and alive, or neglected and dead.

I have extreme difficulty on cases where the child was made vulnerable to their murderer because of parental negligence. I hold the rapist and murderer accountable for his/her acts, the negligent parent(s) accountable for his/hers/theirs.

In these cases, I focus my sorrow, my sympathy, my heart...to the child victim. It's the best I can do.
Thank you, this is the best response I've seen. I agree there was probably a degree of negligence on the parents part, but the blame is on the 17 year old (or whomever is the murderer). I realize the supervision was lacking to say the least, but we need to blame the right person. In my mind it's not the parents.

What Lava said. Rape victims span the entire gamut of the human race--attractive to unattractive, old and young, male or female. The idea that most rapists have a "type" and go around looking for petite blondes with ponytails or whatever is really just a plotline for TV and movies. Most rapists' and child molesters' "type" is simply "who can I get my hands on when no one else is around." A significant number of child molesters, while preferring one sex, will molest the other sex if a victim of that sex is obtainable/available. And a lot of rapists attack prostitutes not because that's their "type," but because that's generally the only group of women who will get in a stranger's car and go with him to an isolated spot willingly.

And honestly, the idea that rape is about who is young and attractive is pretty disturbing, especially since a gazillion defense lawyers have gotten their rapist clients off with that very argument: Why would he bother raping this homely middle-aged woman, when he can get all the hot young tail he wants? She must be lying!!! Seriously, to suggest that rape generally only happens to the young attractive females is absolutely a slap in the face of every rape victim who wasn't believed because he/she didn't fit a specific set of criteria of what people falsely believe about "who is likely to get raped."

But you didn't flollow him to make sure he didn't go in the creek, did you? I don't really have a point, just that we all need to let go a little bit at some time and a lot bit later on.
Not that I think six is that point of course.
I am not sure when I will "let go" at one end of our street is a canal, the other end the intercoastal. My kids will NOT wander the neighborhood without me, there is too much SICKNESS in the world. 6 IS DEFINITELY not the time to
"let go". No way they are going to a corner store - the closest one is on a 4 lane road both ways, dangerous no matter what. We just went to Disney for a week, and I let my eldest go on a ride alone for the first time, guess what, the damn ride broke down and she was stuck for a good 40 min, we were frantic, even though it was an open line we could see and we could see her on the ride.

Youre correct but as parents we have a responsibility to supervise and protect our children. IMO it doesnt sound like Jenise's parents did this. They are victims yes and Im sure they are well aware of their shortcomings without beig told but should we really be turning a blind eye on bad parenting? Parents dont get a pass because the truth hurts IMO.

Right, but they are victims, which is what I was saying. And we treat them like victims here.

Yes actually, since I'm a huge language nerd- the english word "rape" comes from "rapere" (latin) - which means to seize, carry off by force, plunder.

Rape (the act of raping someone sexually speaking) takes away what isn't theirs to take. The reason rapists are sexually stimulated by the act of raping is because taking something that they can't have or overpowering someone in that sense - that's what makes it such a turn on.

So yeah, at the core of it, it is about power, entitlement, and violence.

Not necessarily true. Objects are also the result of many assaults.

you have a point -- in sexual assault there is unwanted touching probing whatever using victims or perps parts ((hopefully that covers it))

I'm happy to see an arrest but this baby girl just breaks my heart with her infectious smile and love of life. I need to catch up on a lot regarding the new break but I just wanted to see her beautiful smile again.

RIP baby girl, it should have never happened this way. Fly high with the angels :rose:

Jenise.png

Yes actually, since I'm a huge language nerd- the english word "rape" comes from "rapere" (latin) - which means to seize, carry off by force, plunder.

Rape (the act of raping someone sexually speaking) takes away what isn't theirs to take. The reason rapists are sexually stimulated by the act of raping is because taking something that they can't have or overpowering someone in that sense - that's what makes it such a turn on.

So yeah, at the core of it, it is about power, entitlement, and violence.

Force isn't used in all of the rapes.

Elizabeth Smart's father was allowing people they met on the street to work on their home (in the name of charity). That's how the perp saw her and decided to kidnap her. Not exactly a hard target, is it?

I don't remember people blaming Mr. Smart when his daughter disappeared from their beautiful home in an affluent neighborhood, even though he was letting complete strangers into his home. He was considered a victim as well as his daughter and the rest of the family.

Jenice's parents deserve the same respect from us.

That is interesting that the suspect might have been a neighbor. Wonder if he was ever interviewed on the news?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper