Wayne Millard Murder Trial - Dellen Millard Charged With Murder - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 3m3 minutes ago
An MRO is kind of like a hotel for airplanes. Campbell says Millard didn't seem anxious or upset. Says he seemed "fine." She says they didn't argue -- that night or ever. #Millard

Mark Carcasole‏Verified account @MarkCarcGlobal 3m3 minutes ago
Campbell says Wayne #Millard seemed “fine” during that final conversation. Ended with “talk to you tomorrow, have a good night.”

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 3m3 minutes ago
He was not anxious. "Not to the best of my knowledge." How did he seem? "Fine... I don't know how else to put it." They never had an argument. Ever. Conversation must have ended normally, like always. "Have a good night." #Millard

Cameron asks how the conversation ended. "Probably as normal as the other conversations. Talk to you tomorrow -- have a great night," Campbell says. #Millard

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 2m2 minutes ago
She assumes Wayne #Millard was sitting as his desk when she was talking to him. She knew about the birthday cake and card because he told her. He told her that she wouldn't like the birthday present at first, but she would come to love it.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 2m2 minutes ago
Campbell says Millard told her about a cake and a birthday present he had planned for her birthday. Millard told her she wouldn't like it at first, but would come to enjoy it. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 1m1 minute ago
"At the get together [after Wayne's death] Dellen brought the present and the card ... it was flight instruction," Campbell says. #Millard

Mark Carcasole‏Verified account @MarkCarcGlobal 1m1 minute ago
Campbell says at Wayne #Millard’s wake, Dellen brought her the card and gift Wayne was planning to give her for her birthday. The gift was flight instructions/lessons. Wayne had earlier told her she wouldn’t like the gift at first but would come to love it.

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 1m1 minute ago
After Wayne's death, Campbell met Dellen #Millard at the gathering and he gave her the present -- flying lessons. "He was probably right, that I would be nervous, but once I got started, I would be happy.... teaching an old dog new tricks," she says. Wayne hadn't signed the card

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 36s37 seconds ago
She says she tried and tried to get in touch with Wayne Millard the night after they last spoke, and she was very worried. "When I couldn't contact him I was most distressed," Campbell says. #Millard

She worried when she couldn't get in touch with him after that last phone call. "I was most distressed, then I realized, oh my goodness I have Dellen's email address." It was in an email with photos of grandmothers. She emailed Dellen and didn't hear back. She sent another.

marianne boucher‏ @CityCourtsTO 2m2 minutes ago
Janet Campbell says they spoke for hours on the phone. They were planning her birthday. Last conversation Nov 28th, the day before he was found dead in his bed. Dellen brought her birthday gift to his funeral “get together” It was flight instructions.

Mark Carcasole‏Verified account @MarkCarcGlobal 2m2 minutes ago
Campbell describing how she learned of Wayne #Millard’s death: “I couldn’t get in touch with him and I became worried.” He would tell her everywhere he was going. She realized she had Dellen’s email address, so she “plagued him with emails” until he responded...

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 58s58 seconds ago
Dellen #Millard finally got back to her. "He told me his father was dead, and he told me it appeared by his own hand... I was stunned. I was totally, absolutely stunned." #Millard

Campbell says Dellen #Millard wrote back eventually: “My father is dead and it would appear it was by his own hand...I was stunned.”

She had Dellen's email. She sent an email and didn't get one back. So Campbell sent another. "He told me his father was dead ... he said 'My father is dead, and it would appear by his own hand.' I believe that's how it read.'" #Millard

marianne boucher‏ @CityCourtsTO 42s43 seconds ago
Campbell could not contact Wayne the next day and reached out to Dellen who texted back that Wayne was dead “by his own hand.” Campbell : “I was stunned, absolutely stunned”

Mark Carcasole‏Verified account @MarkCarcGlobal 26s27 seconds ago
Asked if Wayne #Millard had a drink if problem, Campbell says he was frank with her that he was a drinker and wanted to stop. “But he wasn’t a sad person, either.” She personally never saw him have a drink.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 24s25 seconds ago
She says Wayne Millard told her he had a drinking problem, though she never saw him drink. "He was not proud of that in any way," Campbell says. "But he wasn't a sad person. #Millard

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 22s23 seconds ago
Campbell didn't know Wayne #Millard to be a drinker but he told her he had a drinking problem he was not proud of. "He was looking to get out of that. But he wasn't a sad person." Wayne never drank in her presence, she never smelled alcohol on him.

Cameron asks if she ever saw Wayne suffer from depression. "I think he suffered from the same sort of depression that anyone in this courtroom would suffer from from time to time ... but not a clinical depression at all," she says. #Millard

She did not know Wayne to have clinical depression, just the kind "everyone in the courtroom has suffered." Wayne #Millard may have had some deep depression, but not clinical. Was he down in the dumps when you saw him? "No. No."

Campbell says Wayne Millard had two guns, and he asked Toronto police to pick them up during a gun amnesty in the past. She never saw him with a gun. #Millard

Campbell says she saw no signs that Wayne #Millard was depressed. She says he did have two guns at one point, but eventually turned them over to Toronto Police.

Wayne #Millard had two guns but called police during an amnesty and two police officers came to pick them up, & they swooned over the guns so Campbell guesses they were impressed. They took the guns away.

Things were positive and going well for Millardair, Campbell says she didn't ask about money but he was very positive in the last months of his life. #Millard

Campbell says Wayne #Millard had the same money concerns as any other business owner, but always seemed positive.

Campbell says she thinks Millard was a little concerned about money, but as the year was coming to a close for the year, things were going quite well. "He was very positive in the last months of his life." #Millard

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 52s53 seconds ago
They didn't talk about moving in but Wayne #Millard did leave things at her home in case he was going to stay there after visiting the hangar. He told her he loved her. "He adored me." Said those things "frequently, in the last month of his life." Including the last phone call.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 50s51 seconds ago
"He said he loved me. That he adored me," Campbell says. Millard said that frequently, she says. #Millard

Crown asked Campbell if Wayne #Millard ever mentioned a “John Barnes.” Campbell says WM seemed to be “taking on a negative attitude towards him” in the later stages of his life. WM also mentioned Dellen didn’t trust him.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 52s53 seconds ago
The Crown now asking about a John Barnes that Wayne Millard knew. She says she knew of him, but didn't know him. She says in the last months of Millard's life he was taking on a "negative view of him," and said Dellen Millard "didn't trust him." #Millard

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 40s41 seconds ago
Campbell had heard about a Millardair employee named John Barnes; Wayne #Millard liked him at first but seemed to change his mind. Apparently Dellen didn't trust Barnes, she said. It may have had to do with the fall arrest system, she thinks.

Mark Carcasole‏Verified account @MarkCarcGlobal 40s41 seconds ago
Campbell believes Wayne #Millard was upset at Barnes due to airplane-related technical issue called a “fall arrest system.”

Wonder if DM is second guessing his decision to skip the Jury- it was probably nicer for him when the Jury couldn't hear a lot of things, when the lawyer could object and lots of things were never heard. This trial could end up being one huge train wreck for him. :)

Michele Mandel‏Verified account @MandelSun 1m1 minute ago
Campbell said Wayne Millard told her he loved her, was very positive about his business. When told by Dellen #Millard his dad committed suicide “I was stunned, I was absolutely stunned. “

Mark Carcasole‏Verified account @MarkCarcGlobal 49s49 seconds ago
Campbell refreshes her memory by looking st notes from pre-trial testimony. Says Wayne #Millard was upset with Barnes over cost of fall arrest system.

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 25s25 seconds ago
Wayne #Millard was upset with John Barnes because the fall arrest system was going to cost to much, Campbell recalls after reviewing her statements from the preliminary hearing.

Michele Mandel‏Verified account @MandelSun 2m2 minutes ago
“He wasn’t a sad person,” Campbell said of Wayne Millard. Not clinically depressed, had been excited about planning her upcoming birthday.

The funeral gathering for Wayne #Millard was around Dec 6-8; about a week after his death. Held at a venue off Hwy 400. She met Dellen & spoke to him for 10-15 minutes at most. "I said to him I would need a hug. I didn't know him and I felt it would be awkward."

Mark Carcasole‏Verified account @MarkCarcGlobal 41s42 seconds ago
Campbell now discussing Wayne #Millard’s wake. Repeats she met Dellen M there. Gave her card and gift from his dad. They spoke for about 10 mins. General chit-chat but she remembers asking DM if she was anything like what he bought she’d be. He replied “I never thought about it.”

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 31s32 seconds ago
Campbell says she attended a gathering after Wayne Millard's death around Dec. 6 to Dec. 8 of 2012. She met Dellen there. She says they spoke for maybe ten to 15 minutes. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 22s23 seconds ago
"I said to him I wouldn't need a hug. I didn't know him and I thought it would be an awkward time for him." Campbell says. #Millard

Mark Carcasole‏Verified account @MarkCarcGlobal 43s43 seconds ago
Campbell asked about what type of phone Wayne #Millard used. Always landline. Don’t believe he ever used a cell.

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 42s42 seconds ago
She asked Dellen #Millard if she was what he was expecting, and Dellen answered that he hadn't thought of her at all. She doesn't think Wayne #Millard used a cell phone at all. He had a land line. Jill Cameron is done. Cross exam after a 20 minute break.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 44s44 seconds ago
We're now taking a beak for Pillay to go over some disclosure before his cross examination. Now taking a 20 minute break. #Millard

Mark Carcasole‏Verified account @MarkCarcGlobal 31s31 seconds ago
20 minutes recess now. #Millard

I'll resume posting the tweets after the break. If anyone would like me to add a reporter to my list that I have missed this morning, this is a good time to do so :)

JC testified that DM told her about WM's "suicide". I would assume that at some point DM answered her phone calls to the house looking for WM. So are we to understand that LE didn't contact her at the time as the last known person he was talking to?

JC testified that DM told her about WM's "suicide". I would assume that at some point DM answered her phone calls to the house looking for WM. So are we to understand that LE didn't contact her at the time as the last known person he was talking to?
In her testimony she says he responded to her email only.
That's what I gather from it too - phone records would have proven he was on the phone with her until the wee hours...

Wonder if DM quietly entered the house and was waiting for WM to end the phone conversation?

I'm wondering that too. JC seemed to think that WM would have been sitting in his office talking to her on the phone. He was talking on a landline and I don't know if he had one right beside his bed although most people do. So did DM just come home while his father was talking on the phone in his office and go to his room as if he was in for the night and wait for WM to go to bed?

MOO

It sure doesn't sound like it was a long, sad, heart felt email response that JC got from DM. "My dad is dead and it looks like it was by his own hand?" DM knew that WM was involved with JC, yet she wasn't one of the first people he called? What a piece of work. She had to wait until he decided to respond to one of her many emails? I guess he was playing his cards well- who was JC to question WM's death especially when LE had ruled it a suicide. Then to give her 10-15 minutes of his precious time at the memorial? For a guy who wouldn't kill a fly, this is so disgustingly ignorant. He knew WM loved her and she thought the world of WM. My heart goes out to her. It must have been so difficult and heartbreaking. DM is pure demonic. MOO except the "pure demonic" part. That's a fact.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 4m4 minutes ago
We're now back in session. Millard's lawyer, Ravin Pillay, is cross-examining Campbell. #Millard

Pillay says he knows she's very nervous, and this will be over soon. #Millard

Mark Carcasole‏Verified account @MarkCarcGlobal 4m4 minutes ago
Trial now back in progress. Dellen #Millard’s lawyer Ravin Pillay now cross-examining Campbell...

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 4m4 minutes ago
Ravin Pillay, #Millard's lawyer, asks Janet Campbell if she's comfortable. She's squirming in the uncomfortable chair. She and Wayne are cousins and knew each other from childhood, she agrees. They saw each other maybe once a month, she repeats.

"You're cousins, essentially, right?" Pillay asks. "Correct," Campbell says. #Millard

She says it's "fair" that she and the elder Millard had a romantic relationship back in their teens, and early 20s. Then they had no contact for quite some time. #Millard

Pillay asking Campbell about earlier years with Wayne #Millard. They dated, grew apart before associating again years later.

Pillay says he's not going to ask Campbell her age. "Wisely," she says. #Millard

As teenagers she and Wayne #Millard dated, and again in their 20s, before they went their separate ways. Reconnected again in 2006 when Carl Millard died, many years later. "We're talking about decades of no contact, right?" She agrees with #Millard's lawyer

Campbell agrees they had decades with no contact. They stopped talking back in the 1960s, until 2006. #Millard

Campbell tells Pillay she and Wayne #Millard went decades without contact. Pillay asks if she had any idea what was going on in Wayne’s life during that time. Aside from “bits n bobs” thru mutual friends, she says no.

Campbell says Wayne's mother died of cancer, and he did contact her about that before her death. #Millard

They were in their 20s in the 1960s, she agrees, to clarify the timing. In those years she would hear "bits and bobs" of Wayne #Millard through a mutual friend. Waynes mother died of cancer and he contacted Campbell shortly before. "I had totally forgotten that," she says.

The 2006 contact was very brief, she says. It was in 2012 that they really started talking again. #Millard

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 44s44 seconds ago
It wasn't until 2012 that Wayne & Janet really started to talk again, starting with email and then phone calls, but they didn't see each other physically until Nov 18, 2012. #Millard

Pillay notes to Campbell that even when she and Wayne #Millard reconnected in 2012 thru email and phone calls, she didn’t actually SEE him till they met again in person. “Right,” she confirms.

It was Nov. 18 when they physically first got together, Pillay says. She agrees. "Fair to say that during this period of time before he died, you didn't introduce him to your children?" he says. "I didn't have the opportunity," Campbell says. #Millard

She never introduced Wayne to her daughter, "I didn't have the opportunity," she says. She didn't meet Dellen, "he wasn't around much, as I understand," Campbell says. They were together on three occasions; the third time #Millard slept over so they spent two days together.

Pillay says they never went to a restaurant, or never went on a trip together. Campbell agrees. They saw each other in person three times -- one of those times lasted two days. #Millard

Pillay asks Campbell if the only time she physically SAW Wayne #Millard was in Nov 2012, days before his death. “Correct,” she affirms.

Pillay says that Millard had a "debilitating back problem" where he was "bedridden for days at a time." Campbell agrees with that. #Millard

Dellen Millard’s lawyer Ravin Pillay now up cross examining Janet Campbell. Suggests that she cared for Wayne but they never went flying or took a trip, nor did she introduce him to her kids...before he died. Campbell: No time.
DeiZcIrW0AAFad5.jpg

Campbell confirms to Pillay she did know Wayne #Millard had serious back problems. She took his blood pressure during one meeting.

This all happened just days before Wayne died. She knew that #Millard had a serious back problem and was occasionally bedridden. "What do you do for a living ma'am?" I'm a grandmother, she laughs. She took Wayne's blood pressure once, not a nurse but equipped with knowledge

"It's fair to say Wayne was a recluse, right?" He always was, Janet agrees. "He was not a social animal." #Millard

"It's fair to say Wayne was a recluse, right?" Pillay says. "Yes, always was ... he wasn't a social animal," Campbell responds. #Millard

She says the two were "quite content talking." #Millard

Pillay asks “It’s fair to say Wayne (#Millard) was a recluse, right?” Campbell confirms that and admits that’s how she described him to police too. “He wasn’t a social animal.”

Mark Carcasole‏Verified account @MarkCarcGlobal 53s53 seconds ago
Campbell says she didn’t meet any of Wayne #Millard’s friends in 2012 and couldn’t name any.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 51s51 seconds ago
Campbell says she didn't meet any of Millard's friends in 2012. Also says she couldn't name one of his friends. #Millard

Campbell didn't meet any of #Millard's friends. She can't name any. "Wayne suffered from depression, didn't he?" She doesn't want to say that. He got depressed like anyone, and had stress from his business. She remembers telling police he was depressed.

Pillay now suggesting that Wayne Millard was depressed. "He would get depressed like anyone else -- and there was a lot of pressure from the business ... I don't think he was clinically depressed," Campbell says. #Millard

Campbell tells Pillay she wouldn’t say Wayne #Millard was “clinically depressed,” but hay he got depressed like anyone else. Had work-related stresses. Pillay points out she told police WM suffered from depression. She says she was in a bad way at time. Might not have been clear.

She was in a bad state at the time she gave that interview to police. She didn't think Wayne #Millard was diagnosed or taking meds for depression. Pillay is going to play video of her interview with police.

Pillay is now playing a video clip of her statement to police about this issue. This is from May 16, 2013. #Millard

Pillay suggests Wayne was a recluse who suffered from depression. Campbell agrees that “he was not a social animal.” Says Wayne would get depressed like anyone else, he didn’t “suffer” from depression. He wasn’t on medication.

She says she was "a wreck" at that time. #Millard

Court now seeing a still from May 16, 2013, when Campbell have video statement to Toronto Police. She says she was “a wreck” at the time but believes she was honest in her statement. #Millard

"I was a wreck actually, when I gave the statement," Campbell says she told the truth and understood the gravity of the court case. She thinks she looks calm in the video but really, "I was extremely nervous. I was shaking." #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 33s33 seconds ago
We're having some audio problems, so we can't hear the video. #Millard

Judge has great suggestions for fixing audio problems as defence lawyer tries to play this interview. So rare to hear technical advice from the bench. (Still not sure it will work) #Millard

Pillay says he's going to try to figure out the audio on a break. #Millard

Pillay tries to play video of that statement but is prevented by technical difficulties. No sound. Will get back to it after lunch break. #Millard

Michele Mandel‏Verified account @MandelSun 3m3 minutes ago
Under cross examination Janet Campbell agrees Wayne #Millard was a recluse and they only saw each other four times in 2012. “He wasn’t a social animal.”

We'll go back to the video, Pillay says. Now onto Wayne #Millard stress from his business. He didn't share much with others, "yes, he was a private person," Campbell agrees. Did he put up walls? "I'll agree with you. I think we all do that," she says.

Pillay says Wayne was "guarded" about what he shared with others. "He was a private person," Campbell says. #Millard

Campbell tells Pillay Wayne #Millard “was a private person.” Didn’t share much with others. Pillay asks if he “put up walls.” Campbells agrees but says “I think we all do that.”

"He seemed to share a fair bit," Campbell says she didn't push. "If I don't think it's my business I stay out of it." #Millard.

Michele Mandel‏Verified account @MandelSun 1m1 minute ago
Defence lawyer Ravin Pillay suggests Wayne #Millard suffered from depression before he was found dead of gunshot to his head

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 49s50 seconds ago
Pillay now reading from Campbell's statement to police. The officer asks her about "emotional walls" she had to "break down." Campbell responded that she's not the sort of person to dig deep on someone's problems. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 38s39 seconds ago
"I let him tell me things ... when he was ready to tell me things, you know?" Campbell says in the statement. #Millard

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 38s39 seconds ago
Reading from interview transcript, Campbell apparently told police #Millard had walls up. "I let him tell me things when he was ready to tell me things, you know? As time progressed he would talk, you know?" Campbell says now she didn't have to pry. Wayne told her things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay