Websleuths is MOVING to a new home

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be the second change since I've been a member (as far as I can recall). The site formatting I originally started with was much better than the current format, in my opinion - and it did just as you said, deterred me from using. I hope this next change will be an improvement. Fingers crossed.

Melodyl,

You are absolutely right. The last big format update we did was just awful. Part of the problem was at the time we did not have an IT person who cared. Don't even get me started on that time in Websleuths history.

When I became the sole owner of Websleuths again we brought on board a hard working IT person who will literally work 24/7 if that's what it takes. Dave is going to be extremely busy and I am certain he will be doing everything in his power to make sure the transition goes smoothly.

In addition, we hired an expert in transitioning from vBulletin to Xenforo. This person will be doing the big migration part of the process.

We are in good hands. All I ask is your patience.

Thank you,
Tricia

I did some beta testing, but was given a new password to use when testing.

So I am not sure how to move to new home, if I do not know my old password, from 6 yrs ago....

Katydid,

If you have a problem with your password we can fix it. Let's wait until the new forum goes up. You give it a try and if you need help email me personally at triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com

Thanks,
Tricia

Dear fred&edna,

You ARE one of the cool kids. Start a conversation and then you can invite the cool kids.

I was wary of this new way of using our "Conversations" but I am liking it more and more.

Tricia
fred&edna, since I’ll be sitting next to you at the lunch table, can you bring me along as your plus one? Meet you on the bus after school.

I have to say there are so many cool things about the New Forum that I can't just pick one thing over another that is the coolest. They all are really cool feature's. I feel like a kid in the candy store I can't just pick one!

Hi Jewel! I heartily agree!

I think everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised at how easy the new software is to use and how incredibly easy the site navigation is.

Change is always a bit anxiety-inducing, but I want to assure everyone that if I can do it (notorious for dreading change - just ask my family lol) - you can, too!

Hi Tricia - since you're here, may I bring something from the beta-test to your attention?

The date stamp on the History Page has a discrepancy and displays today's date on the OP of each thread (on the History Page), rather than the actual date the thread was created.

I started a thread about it on May 11 in General Discussion & Testing, but didn't start a Support Ticket thread on it so you may not be aware of it. Thanks!

ETA: I just tagged you in a post over there regarding the date stamp discrepancy.

Plus the way you can tag a person in a thread. You just put a @and the user name and it alerts the user that you tagged them. so cool

I agree with your numbered features are a plus to the new forum.

I really like the conversations vs the PM's much easier to reply to, it is just like you are in your own private thread with the same features as a regular thread. No confusing where the quote is. This quote feature will be so much easier on the mods, no having to fix broken quote's anymore.

Also it will take you to where you left off in a thread by telling you in the first post after the last post you read. It will say New in that first post in the upper right hand corner on down to the end of the thread.

BBM What is tagging and can you give an example of why you would use it?

Please keep in mind we are saying we will be down "at least 48 hours". It may be more.

What I am going to do is start a thread about the Ghostship Fire hearing on May 24th on the Websleuths Facebook Page.

Then feel free to come over and post the current info. It's not Websleuths but it is better than nothing.

While we are down please check the Websleuths FACEBOOK PAGE and TWITTER ACCOUNT FOR UPDATES ON THE MOVE AND INFO ON THE LATEST BREAKING TRUE CRIME.

Also, the 7:00 am time is for when we go down tomorrow. We will be offline at around 7:00 AM on Monday. No idea what hour or what day we will be back up.

Don't worry Niner, I promise this is for the best and you will love it.

Tricia

First - I apologize for this long post....

I don't even want to count how many cases I'm following on here... !! :ohwow:
Maybe I will one day....

YES! And I hope ALL goes well on Thursday the 24th when we get back in here!!

Tricia - I'm sure some are wondering on "when" - "time" we will be up on the 24th? 7am Eastern Time?? That would be at 2pm my time.

That would be in Oakland - the Ghost Ship fire:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...e-party-36-dead-2-Dec-2016-3-*Arrests*/page11

Here's a bit of a summary on what's going on. Next hearing:
Thursday, May 24th:
*Bail Hearing (For Max Harris) - CA - Ghost Ship Warehouse Fire in Oakland on Dec. 2, 2016 killing 36 people - Derick Ion Almena (47), and Max Harris (27), charged with 36 felony counts of involuntary manslaughter; entered not guilty pleas. $750K bond for each. They remain in custody at the Santa Rita Jail in Dublin and face up to 39 years in prison each if convicted.
2/20/18 Update: Defense will seek to have their bail lowered or even be released on their own recognizance when they return to court on 3/21/18 for a bail hearing. 4/13/18 hearing on Defense motion to dismiss, and jury trial to start July 16th, if Defense motion to dismiss is denied.
4/20/18: Judge has :denied: a motion to release Derick Almena from custody. On 5/11/18, Judge held hearings on motions by Almena and Harris to have the charges against them dismissed on various legal grounds.
5/11/18: A judge turned down a motion to dismiss those charges on Thursday. :denied:

When I was over there trying to change the Avatars I found that the .gifs do not work. You know - the ones that move. Like me swinging in my tire swing!

I'm going to keep that one up and when we open the new forum, I'll see if I'm still swinging in my swing! LOL!

:ditto: on that!

:loveyou: Spellz!! She does take naps, and does work hard in her garden.... now housework - ?? LOL!

BBM What is tagging and can you give an example of why you would use it?

Hi Tortoise! I'm not Jewels, but I'll try to answer your question.

If you want to alert another member to your post, you can tag them by typing @ along with their full user name and it will notify that person, similar to the tag system used in FB or twitter.

If a member tags you, then you'll receive an alert in your alert box (that appears at the top right-hand of the screen above where your profile pic/user name is located on the new site).

The alert will say "so-and-so has mentioned you in a post", and there will be a link to the thread & the post in which you were tagged.

Does that help?

Just a note about signatures. They are limited to three lines of text.

You may embed media from the following sites: Dailymotion, Facebook, Liveleak, Vimeo, and YouTube

The new rich text editor formatting boxes allow you to insert quotes, codes, spoilers and strike-through.

You can upload files by taking a photo or video, from your photo library, or by browsing your recent documents or folders

You can insert url links which is very convenient.

Thank you. This post is very helpful.

Tricia

Hi Tortoise! I'm not Jewels, but I'll try to answer your question.

If you want to alert another member to your post, you can tag them by typing @ along with their full user name and it will notify that person, similar to the tag system used in FB or twitter.

If a member tags you, then you'll receive an alert in your alert box (that appears at the top right-hand of the screen above where your profile pic/user name is located on the new site).

The alert will say "so-and-so has mentioned you in a post", and there will be a link to the thread & the post in which you were tagged.

Does that help?

Thanks sorrell.

Is it going to make others you haven't tagged feel left out (so you end up tagging everyone on the thread LOL), or does it only show up to the people tagged? It sounds a bit like inviting half the class to your kids party but all the kids know. Maybe it'll become clear.

I like that this current forum has the option to turn off people's signatures so that you don't see them at all... does anyone know if knew forum has that option?

I personally don't like having to scroll through signatures over and over while reading threads.

Yes, you will have the option to turn off other poster's signatures.

Thank you ima.grandma. You are way ahead of me.

Keep up the great work and thank you for all your help.

I am with you. The signatures are often thought provoking and I enjoy reading some of them but they are sometimes irritating to see again and again. I started off with a signature but quickly deleted it and turned everyone else’s off too.
I’m listing what I see on beta. So, basically the answer is yes, you can still turn them off.

Under your Preferences tab are:
Options

• Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply...
◦ and receive email notifications of replies
• Use the rich text editor to create and edit messages
• Use the Flash-based uploader to upload attachments
• Show people's signatures with their messages
• Show your online status This will allow other people to see when you are online.
◦ Show your current activity This will allow other people to see what page you are currently viewing.
Notices

• Restore dismissed notices Any notices you have previously dismissed will be restored to view if you check this option.

Thanks sorrell.

Is it going to make others you haven't tagged feel left out (so you end up tagging everyone on the thread LOL), or does it only show up to the people tagged? It sounds a bit like inviting half the class to your kids party but all the kids know. Maybe it'll become clear.

:facepalm: Why can't Facebook stay on Facebook? LOL. Everything has got to be like Facebook.

Hi Tricia,
When I tried the beta version a few weeks ago on my galaxy note I was unable tomake the screen zoom in and out with my fingers like I currently can,I did not see the Quick Links tab and I could not see the Settings where I could customizeto 100 posts per page. I was seeing like 20 large size posts per page which were not resizable making viewing cumbersome and not workable for my device. Has this been changed is there a way I can still use this version which is working just fine now with my device? Thank you!!

I will get with Dave on this and get back to you.

Tricia

Thank you sorrell skye. This is very helpful.

I'm looking forward to the move. There are some features in the new software that I really like:

1. The 'alerts' feature that tells you when someone has replied to a post you've made or has posted a comment in a thread you're 'watching'

2. The 'tag' feature that alerts you when someone has tagged you in a post (similar to the 'tag' feature on FB)

3. The 'conversation' feature where you can chat with up to five other people, but it looks just like the regular threads (instead of the pm feature we have now)

4. The ease with which we're able to post youtube videos and pics - sooo easy!!!

5. The 'undo' and 'redo' button when posting a comment

There may be more bells & whistles that I like, as well, but those are my top five that I can think of right now.

I'm glad I volunteered to beta-test. Not only did I get to know some awesome posters, but it eased my anxiety about moving to the new software. I feel at home there already!

2016, I remember that. As I recall that upgrade was not very popular, and some people left the forum because of it. I also hope this one goes better. Changes are only good if they are an improvement.

It was 2014 I believe. 2014 was not a good year for Websleuths.

Is there going to be a custom 404 WS page in place of the present forum while the system is being updated?

Thanks sorrell.

The tag will show up in the post - so yes, everyone else will be able to see that you tagged that person.

I just tagged Tricia over on the beta site because I wanted to bring something to her attention. In that case, I find it a very useful feature.

I can envision scenarios where I want to give kudos to someone who provided some good info/links that I find helpful. I think it'll be a good way to make sure they know I appreciate something they've posted.

If we need a verified expert member's input on a thread, we could tag them (although that could get out of hand if their alert box gets inundated with tag alerts).

If we want to make sure that someone in particular sees something in a post, we could tag that person in order to bring something to their attention that they had been asking about.

If a member hasn't been on a thread in awhile that we've following together and there's a break in the case or an important update, we could tag them so they can get alerted - IOW, a sort of "get over here - things are happening now!"

Also - welcoming new members. If we tag them, they'd be more likely to see the "welcome".

Those are a few of the uses for tagging that I can think of at the moment.

How are you doing tonight, Tricia? Got any butterflies? It will all be great and you have worked hard for this. take a bow, sweet lady :cheers:

I wonder how many of us will be refreshing our WS link constantly during the down time. I will raise my hand. :giggle: We'll be crashing the site before it's even open for business. Many of us are not known for our patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff