Websleuths is MOVING to a new home

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wishing all the very best for the transition!

I trust it will go very well, what with all of the advance preparation as websleuths has done each & every time there was a change over the years, and most notably this time.

My personal advice: Practice patience. Change is not easy for some - me too - but all will be ok once settled. Read a lot first - chances are very good that your issue has been answered already - as evidenced in this very thread. ;-)

I don't mean to sound preachy but...(well, I guess I am)...

Enjoy Life apart from the forum for the few downtime days. Returning to its fresh face will then be all the more lovely!

~jmo~

This is very good advice. Thank you.
Tricia

I am with you. The signatures are often thought provoking and I enjoy reading some of them but they are sometimes irritating to see again and again. I started off with a signature but quickly deleted it and turned everyone else’s off too.
I’m listing what I see on beta. So, basically the answer is yes, you can still turn them off.

Under your Preferences tab are:
Options

• Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply...
◦ and receive email notifications of replies
• Use the rich text editor to create and edit messages
• Use the Flash-based uploader to upload attachments
• Show people's signatures with their messages
• Show your online status This will allow other people to see when you are online.
◦ Show your current activity This will allow other people to see what page you are currently viewing.
Notices

• Restore dismissed notices Any notices you have previously dismissed will be restored to view if you check this option.

Wow!! I'm impressed. Thanks so much. Exciting.

ETA: I'm still at too of page 3, but those of you who beta tested (I was chicken) big time thank you. I'm now excited. There were no doubt many features on this website i did not know. I hope this thread is kept so I can rEference.

I probably missed it, but what time will Websleuths go down? I'll be checking Facebook for updates :coffeews:

I'm excited, but nervous. I'm sure it'll be A-OK though.

All the best to Tricia, the mods and tech people, and everyone here! :loveyou:

I probably missed it, but what time will Websleuths go down? I'll be checking Facebook for updates :coffeews:

I'm excited, but nervous. I'm sure it'll be A-OK though.

All the best to Tricia, the mods and tech people, and everyone here! :loveyou:

Websleuths should be offline around 7 AM Eastern tomorrow (Monday) morning. We will be down at least 48 hours if not more. Facebook and Twitter of course. :)

Night night everybody! See y'all in our new digs in a couple of days! It's going to be great!

This may have been already brought up. Thanks button has been converted to a likes button. Any thoughts out there of how this wording will affect your use of this function? I think Tricia (maybe?) already brought up the Trophy Points which will be awarded according to the amount of likes.

I'm loving the sound of most of the changes, looking forward to getting to know it! I'm not the most prolific poster since I re-joined. (Wow, didn't realise that was over 5 yrs ago - I've not even averaged 80 posts a year, now that's pitiful). Many years back, we didn't even have a thanks button. I read here daily though, and hit the thanks button frequently. I'm not so keen on a like button that will, in effect, work like a points system. I don't think I'll be inclined to use it too often, but hey, I'll soon find out! :)

ugh ... the "Trophy Points". Unless someone can explain a good purpose for them, it sounds too much like a competition for middle school. I imagine some will like trophies and some will ignore them. Trophies just don't make sense in a crime forum.

JMO, as usual

What you said, Spelly! I thought I'd quoted another poster who mentioned cliques, etc. That's exactly what's happened to a huge forum I'm in and already there's a divide as it's become like a popularity contest. Apart from that, I'm excited to use the new forum. Especially with the pointers and advice you volunteers have already given us, thanks guys!

LOL, I am excited so I have the excited kind of butterflies. Websleuths needs this change. I can't WAIT!!!

Good for you Tricia, you've every right to be excited. This will be nothing like 2104, reading all of the above. Good luck for a smooth transition, and see you all over at our new chateau in a few days!

Goodnight my fellow WSers and I hope to see you all here Wednesday...or is it Thursday? Here’s hoping for a smooth transition to the new software and that we will all be back here celebrating some big news when the site is back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally caught up. I am blown away. The only 2 worries appearance and font. everyone has pretty much answered any and all questions i had and those i didn't know to ask.

Wow!!!!! Websleuths is the best with so many good people.

Thanks so much for the plethora of information. Thank you Tricia for taking the time here so soon to shutdown.

Well, I'm off to bed, sleuthers! I'll see you guys on the new site :offtobed:

I do not foresee that happening BDE. As of this moment the only way we would require a FB sign in is if things became so bad that we no longer allowed posting under people's made up usernames.

Huffington Post decided a few years ago that because the arguments in their comments sections were getting so nasty that making everyone sign in with Facebook would alleviate most of the problem. Rarely will someone say something terrible if they have their real name attached to the post. It worked very well for Huffington Post.

For now, for Websleuths we are not entertaining this idea at all so BDE put that worry to bed. I will never say never but for now, there is no reason to log in with Facebook.

oh I hope not I dont want or do a FB thing !

at some level the last year proved that the initial gut feeling about it had creepy elements

on a true crime forum god knows !!

The tag will show up in the post - so yes, everyone else will be able to see that you tagged that person.

I just tagged Tricia over on the beta site because I wanted to bring something to her attention. In that case, I find it a very useful feature.

I can envision scenarios where I want to give kudos to someone who provided some good info/links that I find helpful. I think it'll be a good way to make sure they know I appreciate something they've posted.

If we need a verified expert member's input on a thread, we could tag them (although that could get out of hand if their alert box gets inundated with tag alerts).

If we want to make sure that someone in particular sees something in a post, we could tag that person in order to bring something to their attention that they had been asking about.

If a member hasn't been on a thread in awhile that we've following together and there's a break in the case or an important update, we could tag them so they can get alerted - IOW, a sort of "get over here - things are happening now!"

Also - welcoming new members. If we tag them, they'd be more likely to see the "welcome".

Those are a few of the uses for tagging that I can think of at the moment.

ugh oh have no idea what a tag is !!

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!

That will encourage lots of "bumping for ..." and "where are you ...? " and other "one-liner posts" and repetitive heartfelt posts.

We are going to have to scroll down a lot looking for the posts where people are actually sleuthing, and not trying to get points for trophies. JMHO

is all this stuff like that Redditt mess?

There is only one thing that worries me a bit about the new system.

If 4 or 5 people can go off into a private chat, to discuss a case, what happens to that thread? If the most knowledgable people go off into their own separate conversation, doesn't that cut off the info from the rest?

I am not sure that I like the concept too much. I hope it doesn't create divisions and cliques...

I would be very disappointed if Facebook membership became a requirement here. I don't do FB, or any other social media, for that matter, and don't want to start. I was using a wonderful TV grid for a couple of years because I've never liked Comcast/Xfinity grid. The TV site changed a few months ago, requiring FB membership for access. I was not a happy camper :( Luckily, I discovered the TV Guide website that is actually better than the other one I was using.

i do not know anything about fb but if it is like what i think it is it seems like just anyone can find "us" and there are disturbed people in the world!!!!

This new software integrates with Facebook allowing easy registration and sharing. I’m not a FB user but I recognize these new options will thrill FB users. The navigation is very common sense and streamlined. I don’t know what happened in 2016 but I can’t imagine it was so disappointing or ineffective to lose so many members. The main fear I’m reading in this thread is the loss of tap-a-talk and I sympathize with them. It’s a convenience of communication methods and we need all the “easy” we can get in this world. I get that. I’ve read here for over eight years but freely admit I’ve only been a member for less than two months. It’s a great place to find comradeship with common interests and am already addicted. Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

being here with the new platform does not make you on FB automatically or something like that does it

There is only one thing that worries me a bit about the new system.

If 4 or 5 people can go off into a private chat, to discuss a case, what happens to that thread? If the most knowledgable people go off into their own separate conversation, doesn't that cut off the info from the rest?

I am not sure that I like the concept too much. I hope it doesn't create divisions and cliques...

You bring up a very interesting and important point. I agree. We will have to watch, wait, and see how this works out.

The idea of the conversation is supposed to help the thread by keeping all the posts off that we would have unapproved. I am going to look into other forum using conversations and see how they like the feature.

Thank you Katy.

Hey!

Tricia said:
Also, the 7:00 am time is for when we go down tomorrow. We will be offline at around 7:00 AM on Monday. No idea what hour or what day we will be back up.

Don't worry Niner, I promise this is for the best and you will love it.

Okay - I won't worry! LOL! Just thought maybe you did have a "specific" time when the new WS would be up! I'll be checking WS FB page for sure!

:crossfingers: ALL is going to be okay...

See you all on the other side..... :seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member