weekend discussion: discuss the trial here #154

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When Juan mentioned Travis' closet being small, that anger resurfaced. She very tightly commented that she didn't think the closet was small.

"It's bigger than the cell I live in so no, the closet isn't small." Yikes.

Agree with all of your comments but these just reminded me of her testimony.

I remember that too. What a nit picky detailed kind of person she is. Always trying to parlay some kind of sympathy for her situation.

I think that's correct.

IIRC, Gus said that there were two groups of PPL folks going on the trip, and that were going at different times. That sounded to me, anyway, like quite a few people going to Cancun.

I wonder why Jodi didn't ask Gus to take her to Cancun with him.You would think in that evil mind of hers she would have thought up something like this just so she could watch & be near Travis!

Well, you must have some great moments when they are talking or cussing you in Spanish knowing you are not hispanic and then you start speaking Spanish back to them.

Busted.... :rocker:

Yep...that's happened many many times and they always seemed totally stunned that I speak Spanish. And the reason I do is because where I live and when I was a kid, it was mandatory that we have six years of Spanish...that was when "bilingual" meant bilingual. And, my uncle's wife was Cuban so we spoke Spanish a lot.

It seems to me that the only way they reacted to her was with mob rejection, meanwhile Travis decided to just continue to simply use her for sex. A little combined intelligence might have actually helped. It does bother me. The combination of factors combined with Jodi's 'mental problems' was a recipe for disaster, I am amazed that as a group they didn't all know this! They seem like an intelligent group of people to me.

I don't think Travis was using her for just sex. "I feel like I was dildo with a heartbeat to you" Sure he's a guy and thinks with the wrong head at times. But Travis was late to the game, shall we say...once Jodi had him hooked with her charming side and sex, and do we really take Jodi's word on the first sex encounters? I think Travis was co-dependent from his childhood, not a hateful person in kind, he was reacting to Jodi and he was hooked on sex with her, as he said to a friend. It is hard to say no when you wake up with a pretty woman that's crawled in your bed.....via the doggy door maybe?
This blog post from another guy, who survived his own "jodi" might help you understand what it was like.. http://.blogspot.com/2013/04/jodi-arias-breaking-down-relationship.html

As for his friends, they have basically a sociopath conning them..they reacted, trying to protect their friend and basically falling at times by sweet/charming (cough) Jodi's lies. Like they might have fallen by the DT's devious lies via Jodi.

We cannot ask Travis, he's dead.

I don't think Travis was using her for just sex. "I feel like I was dildo with a heartbeat to you" Sure he's a guy and thinks with the wrong head at times. But Travis was late to the game, shall we say...once Jodi had him hooked with her charming side and sex, and do we really take Jodi's word on the first sex encounters? I think Travis was co-dependent from his childhood, not a hateful person in kind, he was reacting to Jodi and he was hooked on sex with her, as he said to a friend. It is hard to say no when you wake up with a pretty woman that's crawled in your bed.....via the doggy door maybe?
This blog post from another guy, who survived his own "jodi" might help you understand what it was like.. http://.blogspot.com/2013/04/jodi-arias-breaking-down-relationship.html

As for his friends, they have basically a sociopath conning them..they reacted, trying to protect their friend and basically falling at times by sweet/charming (cough) Jodi's lies. Like they might have fallen by the DT's devious lies via Jodi.

Remember her saying that sex was a stress/anger reliever for Travis? I'll bet it was the opposite.

I wonder why Jodi didn't ask Gus to take her to Cancun with him.You would think in that evil mind of hers she would have thought up something like this just so she could watch & be near Travis!

Two reasons:

1. Gus was going at a different time than Travis, and
  2. JA planned to murder Travis before he left for Cancun.

I think Jodi had enormous anger/angst/concern over finances. She seems to have gone from working two jobs, having money in savings and owning a home to barely employed part time living in a room in her grandparents modest home within five years. Her father said she had considered bankruptcy but didn't have the money to file.

I think she had gambled everything on marriage to Travis. She had basically quit working to travel with him, stalk him, pretend to sell PPL. That fell through. She has enormous anger. It's his fault. She knows she must move on. She sees PPL as her best bet. She is 27, wants marriage, financial stability, kids. She figures she can get this the fastest by hooking up with another Morman guy. They are family oriented, marriage minded and she had already converted! But as you say, Travis could prevent her plan from succeeding. He knew things. If he let on to her next prospect or his friends or family that would be it. In her mind, for her to "move on" Travis had to die. She felt justified! He hurt her by rejecting her, he was abandoning her. She had fulfilled his fantasies but she wasn't good enough to be his wife. He was the reason she left her job, her boyfriend Daryl and their house. He ruined all that, her career, her credit. It's his fault she's back in little Yreka. And now, unless she does something Travis was going to ruin her chance of a future. For Jodi to move on Travis had to go.

That's spot on. I'd only add that imo as long as Travis was alive, she couldn't stop herself from keeping track of him through any means necessary, or at least obsessing over what he might be doing and with whom. She couldn't stand the not knowing. She couldn't rest until he was no longer doing anything at all, and once she solved that problem it was full-speed ahead with no regret or guilt whatsoever.

I knew someone would take my statements and twist them but such is life.
I know what ECT is used for. PTSD was not the subject. The topic was inexperienced Docs using tests to evaluate people. Mostly a waste of time. I do not hate Dr. D. She has very little to add so there is nothing to hate. <modsnip>

Making unsupportable claimsis a waste of time. Can you back up what you're saying or is it just a rant against mental health professionals? The tests are empirically validated and she is beyond qualified to interpret them. In fact, a person is probably most knowledgeable on these applications soon after graduation, as opposed to 10 years down the line. She added an amazing dimension of common sense and objectivity which were sorely missing. Anyone thinking she's under-qualified has absolutely no clue what it takes to get where she is.

Well, I can't disagree with how you feel, which is why I have chosen to pursue a career on the prosecution side of things. But, I do believe that defendants, and the Constitution, deserve an advocate. I can't imagine it being any other way.

JRS_JD2L,

I commend you on your pursuit in the propsection side of law and I wish you well.
It bothers me that a defendant can lean on the Constitution when it's so obvious that he/she is guilty and with killing someone (in any way, except police officers, soldiers) deserves an advocate under any law. It's just discusting to me. You murder some one, you pay a price- you don't deserve to be considered as a citizen of any country, never mind the USA and use the Constitution for their own, screwed-up mind.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Thank-you for answering my post. :blushing:

Well folks, I'm going to FINALLY get my butt out of this chair and go do something else. There's always tomorrow to waste more time sitting on my butt. And Monday of course.

Maybe everyone else has burned out on the tiger Vs. bear juror question, but I am still thinking about it, because it is the most troublesome juror question of late.

I think this was a poorly worded question written in haste. We have to remember that the jurors are writing the questions while listening to testimony. They don't want to miss anything, so they have to commit the questions to paper without much reflection or agonizing about optimal word choice. The nuances of their question may be lost by the time they have been through the mind-numbing hours of repetitive questions and answers, and I don't know how long they get to reflect on what they meant in the moments before putting it in the basket.

That said, this question bothers me because in both scenarios the person is the victim of a traumatic attack. In reality (as I see it) Jodi was the aggressor and she premeditated the attack. That is nothing like a tiger attack, bear attack, ninja attack, or case of self-defense. If the juror were truly comparing the attack scenarios in a hypothetical, one would describe Jodi AS the bear or tiger, at some point. Or, maybe a komodo dragon, as I prefer.

Maybe this juror is trying to rule out the PTSD defense by only using their ninja vs. self-defense comparison as the origin of trauma. Still gives me a twinge. I keep thinking that I would have included the 3rd version of the attack in my question.

Although, I've had several days to consider how I'd phrase the question.

Great post, DebinGA. Even then, she couldn't stop obsessing about him and that's what hung her along with her past stalking behavior. Jodi's non-stop calling Flores waved huge red flags, plus wanting to return to the crime scene, look at death photos. Geez! re-writing diaries.

OK .. now this might be a little controversial, but that's fine. I have a little bit of an issue with how Jodi's behaviour was handled by the 'group', I understand that they didn't like her and LORD KNOWS they had good reason, but to simply yell at someone and tell them that you don't like them when they've just been dumped by your good friend is not the most compassionate way to deal with someone. I have an issue with that. Although I do understand the frustration that made Sky react that way.

Clearly Jodi was disturbed, I have never dealt with a person as extreme as Jodi, but I definitely have known a lot of girls who have gone completely loopy over a guy to the point of vindictiveness / stalking / tire slashing etc. And basically what was done was a kind of intervention, you know just all the rest of us (after discussing her behaviour) deciding on a combined message to drill into her head, and then began drilling it into her head! You know 'Stop all behaviour, you're making yourself crazy, you're making it worse, can you imagine what he thinks of you .. is that really how you want to be remembered AS THE BUNNY BOILER EX GIRLFRIEND?, stop writing about him, stop talking about him, stop thinking about him, behave your way out of this, etc etc etc' .... until they wake up to themselves.

Also Travis himself .. he kept sleeping with her! He knew more than anyone that it was bad, that she had it baaaaaaaaaad, did anyone in this group think of Jodi? Wouldn't a guy think 'maybe I should stop sleeping with this chick, because it's going to keep her in this unhealthy situation' .. I don't think that's too far fetched to think of men as capable of that, I've known many men who've stopped sleeping with women for just that reason.

It is the one thing that bothers me the most about Jodi's side of the story. That nobody had any compassion for her, and nobody went 'whoa, OK something's not right here, this is beyond the scope of normal, this girl has mental problems, we need to THINK CAREFULLY about how we handle this'.

I see where you're coming from, and I wonder if some of Sky Hughes' anger might have been compounded by the fact that she felt "played" by Jodi. From the beginning of T & J's "relationship", Jodi interjected herself between Sky and Chris and Travis.

I think they knew their friend to be somewhat of a player and still loved him for it, but thinking Jodi was a sweet girl looking to settle down, they didn't care for the way Travis treated her.

Therefore after finding out what Jodi was really like, her fuse blew.

Just a thought.

I think this is a cautionary tale on all sides of the experience, and the final analysis should go beyond what was wrong with Jodi, it should extend to how people react and deal with someone like Jodi so that people are educated in general about how situations like this can result in such tragedy, and how it can be avoided.

Not to mention that Gus is not terribly attractive and kinda creepy.

s-JODI-ARIAS-large300.jpg

Practically made for each other!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads