Welcome To Websleuths # 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Website is running much better this morning. It actually sped up last night around 2100 Pacific when the number of users dropped significantly. I noticed that the worst thread to get into was the Mollie Tibbetts one which was moving super fast. Could the slowness to load be as simple as too many users?
I've notice slowness and hiccups when the users are more than 1,000. During the past couple of weeks, whenever it's problematic, I look at the number of users and it's always over 1,000. I haven't logged the data to keep track. When things are running smoother/faster, I notice the users are less than 1,000.
For example, all seems ok this morning, and users are 885:
Total: 885 (members: 129, guests: 621, robots: 135)

There‘s a strange phenomenon when it comes to inserting images. If I use the iPhone Copy/Paste Image function on websites, everything is fine. When I do that in the Facebook app, the image is pasted into the post twice and I always have to delete one instance.

I've notice slowness and hiccups when the users are more than 1,000. During the past couple of weeks, whenever it's problematic, I look at the number of users and it's always over 1,000. I haven't logged the data to keep track. When things are running smoother/faster, I notice the users are less than 1,000.
For example, all seems ok this morning, and users are 885:
Total: 885 (members: 129, guests: 621, robots: 135)

972 people on now and it’s already starting to slow down and have issues. That’s just crazy considering how many members they have. They are going to have to do something about it or the site will be slow every day from now on.

Took me forever to get WS to load this morning. Then I checked my alerts and when I tried to like a post it took me to a different page that asked me if I was sure I wanted to like this post. What the heck was that?
If you disabled your Java Script it will take you to another page that will ask if you're sure you want to like this post. Try turning your Java Script on and you won't get that message.

If I have overlooked your problem please post it right here one more time.

Thank you,
Tricia

Where do we go to find our "Warning Points" or "Time-out Point" or "Naughty/Bad Points" or whatever they are called?

I will admit, I had been a little bad, my fault entirely of course, and I got a time-out - rightly so, but it's very frustrating to not be able to find out how many you have... I want to work on what I did wrong and ensure I get rid of the points but, it's making it impossible.

Also, the new site did not tell me that I was on a time-out nor did it tell me how long I was on a time out for, so, where do we find that? Because I had to message the mod directly to find that out.... had he/she not told me, I would have no idea.

This morning seems acceptable, but I am wondering if our large number of guests may impact our speed. Many sites have guests simply read, no posting or searching. If our guests are searching and downloading large results, or other intensive activities, it might impact us. Yes, I know many "guests" are really members, but verifying their status over and over might bog WS down, or worse provide access beyond what is wise.
Wish I knew more about this slowing problem we are seeing, but I see some very know sharp posters here.

If you disabled your Java Script it will take you to another page that will ask if you're sure you want to like this post. Try turning your Java Script on and you won't get that message.
I have Javascript turned on, but I still occasionally get the "are you sure you want to like this post?". The excessive scripts on this site are part of the problem.

Slow for me this morning too as has been last few days. But Tricia and Dave will figure this out! Tech stuff is complicated. I know for my own personal site- that doesn’t get thousands of viewers etc- that changes take time. They will remedy it, but we will have to be patient. With that said, it has been incredibly slow and glitchy the past few days.

Slow for me this morning too as has been last few days. But Tricia and Dave will figure this out! Tech stuff is complicated. I know for my own personal site- that doesn’t get thousands of viewers etc- that changes take time. They will remedy it, but we will have to be patient. With that said, it has been incredibly slow and glitchy the past few days.
The ship has hit an iceberg. Time is not on our side. :eek:

11:48 am here and the site is really slow for me again, Must when I am about to give up, my page opens. I notice there are 1068 viewers here now.

Took me forever to get WS to load this morning. Then I checked my alerts and when I tried to like a post it took me to a different page that asked me if I was sure I wanted to like this post. What the heck was that?

That happened to me once yesterday. I never saw it any other time ... yet. It really confused me, as I wasn't even "liking" anything when it happened.

We are over 1,000 users now and it has slowed down to a crawl again and is impossible to use. Bummer.

Same here :(

Was unable to access WS at all for 45 minutes a bit earlier today. PC no tablet no phone no.

ETA
And now it's quick and beautiful. Second opinions are very useful. Take heed.

ETA
The immediate above then took forty seconds to post. Sigh.

Last edited:
I did a quick check and it looks like this particular page on WS has 571 links, more or less. That is a very large amount of complexity for a single page of a discussion thread. May I respectfully suggest that three quarters of these links are unneeded complexity and could be overloading individual computers/phones and also server bandwidth if that many links must be processed/transferred for each page viewed.
Thanks, Eevee Pie. You're hitting the nail on the head here. Sparsity is a blessing, less is more.

I may have to try that after I figure out what a content blocker is.

I'm ususally on Apple devices using Safari and the only thing that helps me is turning off Java Script. This isn't ideal because you are unable to see some links, so it's a matter of turning if off and on, off and on.

I recently started getting constant pop ups saying Websleuths wants to use my location. The only thing that has stopped this is turning off Location Services.

Please share if you have suggestions on how to get Apple products to work better with Websleuths.

I think if you substitute ad for content in content blocker - you will get the idea. I don't think we can say for some reason I don't understand.

WS was fine but now we're back to crawling. This has nothing to do with the number of people here, "guests" being a suspect notion anyway. Definitely like the consult idea, some fine young mind just out of school who will consult cheap. If it's good enough for my gall bladder it's good enough here, second opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadgett inspeccion