Welcome To Websleuths # 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having trouble with the site being slow today too. I use an advert-free browser app from the google play store to access the site on a samsung. When the ads trouble first started I was using Chrome and it was completely unusable. The different browser resolved the issues for me for the most part, but today I've really noticed delays and timed-outs.

I'm on another forum that uses the same software and there are no problems. It's more simplified. For example, all the stuff on the side like members online, forum statistics, and the new threads/recent threads/latest replies is only found on the Home page. It's not on any other page on the site. Maybe Websleuths is too bogged down with having all of that information on ever page.

But I probably don't know what I'm talking about because I'm not at all tech savvy. So I'll leave it to the pros.

That seems like a really good suggestion, I’d prefer to have more than 20 posts per page rather than all the stuff that appears at the bottom of every page, like online members, birthdays etc.

I use two blockers, always have. WS still crashes more than it ever has before. Whether on mobile or laptop. The number of readers is small. 1000 is not a lot to cause these crashes. It crashes through the day. Not just in the evening. Why the link to Facebook on here, btw? Does ws want to move over to Facebook eventually?

I’m seeing it mentioned repeatedly in different threads about having trouble posting, liking and generally running slow.

I’ve mentioned it to other members too, it helps all the way around by posting it in one location.

Recently I did in-store device diagnostics at 3 individual brand locations. They each registered the same diagnostic/checkup results-all clear.

AF1QipOrJOTyrOTUdhKT_ek9X4AROk-FNgplQnz5VMjk

---

Maybe those having none of these problems should post on here saying how great it is working for them?

I'm having less problems than many, in that I only experience the occasional site conking out, either timing out or 503 errors. That appears to be the server being overloaded rather than anything else. The popups, location demands, slow typing speed and similar things I've heard mentioned, I don't experience - however I have blocked adverts and also run a selective javascript blocker, both of which greatly help performance on many websites.

So my opinion is there's probably two separate issues here, one caused by adverts/unnecessary scripts slowing people's browsers down, and another causing the server to slow down. The sidebar does seem to contain a lot of information that probably doesn't need to be on pages outside of the front page; of all that's there, I only look at my own stats, and occasionally the latest replies/recent threads/new threads (two of which are identical anyway, so seems a bit redundant to keep both) - the rest just seems like unnecessary page load, and even what I do look at, I could see as easily on the front page.

Btw unrelated; I really do miss the featured threads bit at the top of the page, it was great for drawing my attention to interesting topics, particularly ones which haven't received much media attention here, so I wouldn't be likely to search for them here without already knowing they exist. The recent threads isn't as useful to me, as it doesn't give any indicator of how popular a thread is, only that it had a reply recently.

Edit: Ugh, immediately after posting this, 503 errors and it's gone to a snail's pace again. No other site doing this, just WS, been like this for 5+ minutes at time of editing.

Last edited:
Someone with knowledge of the situation should report to membership how long it will take to solve this problem - much like the estimates the power company can give a whole area during an outage. As long as we know. But we do not know.

Hey Everyone,

Dave is very aware of this problem and is working to solve it. Interestingly it happens at the exact same time every night.

As far as the pop up asking for your location that is not from Websleuths. Somewhere in your Internet travels that pop up was put on your computer and shows up on Websleuths. Even if it says "Websleuths wants to know your location" it is not ours. We do not have any pop-ups.

Dave and I were going to get together today to discuss other issues. We did not and it is 100 percent my fault. Dave was ready, I got sidetracked then I fell asleep in my car for like three hours. Don't worry I wasn't driving. LOL. I had pulled over to a shaded area to respond to text messages and before you know it I was out.

My goal is to get with Dave before I pass out like a pirate who drank a gallon of rum. ;) :p: Hopefully, I will be speaking with him before noon.
Thank you,
Tricia
Any news tonight? On the Mollie thread (Brooklyn IA) a revelation was at hand but the poster wanted to check with a mod first. Apparently, no mod was at hand. Left readership hanging, along with the site.

Any news tonight? On the Mollie thread (Brooklyn IA) a revelation was at hand but the poster wanted to check with a mod first. Apparently, no mod was at hand. Left readership hanging, along with the site.

I’ve also noticed that mods are not as available as they previously were. Over the weekend I had kind of an important issue that needed to be addressed but no mods were online or responding to multiple alerts from myself and others. I know it’s a volunteer position and appreciate what our mods do, but it seems like this is another change that came with the platform change. Before this, I feel like mods were pretty (reasonably) readily available.

I’ve also noticed that mods are not as available as they previously were. Over the weekend I had kind of an important issue that needed to be addressed but no mods were online or responding to multiple alerts from myself and others. I know it’s a volunteer position and appreciate what our mods do, but it seems like this is another change that came with the platform change. Before this, I feel like mods were pretty (reasonably) readily available.
I noticed that many of the mods haven't been active since the May website switch. And other mods haven't been active since 2017 or prior.
Notable Members | Websleuths

It’s been over 2 months since the switch. I understand there are growing pains in this situation, but I don’t think any of the big issues have been remedied. If anything, things have gotten way worse over the past few days. Activity seems to have majorly gone down, but that’s probably due to people throwing in the towel bc it’s so frustrating to try to even read a thread, let alone comment.

Fwiw, 1,000 visitors at a time isn’t that extravagant to the point where it’s going to cause these issues. Somethings gotta give or I think people will probably gravitate towards sites that are easier to load, browse, and comment on.

This thread (a thread of people complaining about problems with the site) is more active than most of the other threads on WS, at least that’s how it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah573x