Welcome To Websleuths # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m getting close to forgetting this site. It’s do frustrating with lags and reloading all the time. It’s do hard to navigate.

It was EXCELLENT when it was on Tapatalk. Why can’t you go back to that....the site was actually functional and enjoyable back then.

I’m getting close to forgetting this site. It’s do frustrating with lags and reloading all the time. It’s do hard to navigate.

It was EXCELLENT when it was on Tapatalk. Why can’t you go back to that....the site was actually functional and enjoyable back then.
The only way she is going to know we want TT back is if we tag her. @Tricia i know you're busy but please consider our request.

Btw unrelated; I really do miss the featured threads bit at the top of the page, it was great for drawing my attention to interesting topics, particularly ones which haven't received much media attention here, so I wouldn't be likely to search for them here without already knowing they exist. The recent threads isn't as useful to me, as it doesn't give any indicator of how popular a thread is, only that it had a reply recently.

Edit: Ugh, immediately after posting this, 503 errors and it's gone to a snail's pace again. No other site doing this, just WS, been like this for 5+ minutes at time of editing.

Your ‘btw unrelated’ on featured threads is also something I really miss. Id like that in place of the Recent & Latest that would be great.

It’s more cumbersome to get to my followed threads, nearly impossible to see anything else at Quick glance-like the Featured.

This is getting old.

Service Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Same message numerous times, otherwise the pages are extremely slow loading, only on this site. For me, this problem began only a couple of days ago as up until then the new site was working just fine. I’ve deleted cookies, refreshed, done everything but stand on my head so I’m confident the problem isn’t my browser.

It so much reminds me of old dialup days when patience was a virtue and one could easily fix a 5 course meal between pages loading. I’m forever grateful technology has advanced beyond that and hope the issues can be resolved soon.

BBM, I don’t think you’re alone by any means.
I researched XenForo and tapatalk, and I don’t see why it’s not an option for websleuths since other boards that use XenForo use tapatalk.

Same message numerous times, otherwise the pages are extremely slow loading, only on this site. For me, this problem began only a couple of days ago as up until then the new site was working just fine. I’ve deleted cookies, refreshed, done everything but stand on my head so I’m confident the problem isn’t my browser.

It so much reminds me of old dialup days when patience was a virtue and one could easily fix a 5 course meal between pages loading. I’m forever grateful technology has advanced beyond that and hope the issues can be resolved soon.
Same, I'm not a patient person and WS is really testing me, :p

The 503 error, service unavailable is SO annoying.

Like the last several days the site was bad during daylight hours, then totally bad not long into evening, and now, at 10:23 CT, is coming back to life. A pattern like this leaves one wondering.

ETA
Service is back to bad, spoke too soon.

Last edited:
I thought TT was horrible, but I do know that it costs money to add to a site.
It's interesting how differently people experience things. I loved TT and still use it for the 3 other forums I follow. I've heard others say they didn't care for it.

I think you're probably right about there being an additional charge to WS for using it. Otherwise there is no reason not to.

I use two blockers, always have. WS still crashes more than it ever has before. Whether on mobile or laptop. The number of readers is small. 1000 is not a lot to cause these crashes. It crashes through the day. Not just in the evening. Why the link to Facebook on here, btw? Does ws want to move over to Facebook eventually?

I sincerely hope not, I do not do FB.

As has become par, uninterrupted service - for the most part - returned sometime around 9 PT 10 MT 11 CT 12 midnight ET, seemingly on its own, as it followed the same pattern as the last few days. After leaving WS and its frustrations earlier tonight, I did return to follow the Mollie Tibbetts case.

People there were not happy. While the mod did the right thing by removing many posts which involved another site and rumors, at no time did anyone attempt to explain what was taking place with our site's problems. I would say most there had been on all evening, sticking with WS in spite of the issues.

This is an excellent, favored forum. I rarely go elsewhere for my true crime. Many, though, as I said above, were expressing open frustrations, both in posts and via other means. On this thread and elsewhere, there were jokes about the old dial-up days, that sort of thing. A hardy bunch. But there was tension.

If you have not accepted the Websleuths cookie that might be part of your problem.

Possibly theory. What if when a guest or a member does not accept a cookie it causes a slow down because the software has to check to see if it can show you an advertisement. Imagine if the software is constantly checking because of new guests and members coming and going. Tens of thousands.

Someone brought that up and I am going to bring it up with Dave.

I do know certain links will not work and it will disrupt not only your experience on Websleuths but it will disrupt your experience at other sites if you have refused the cookie.

Here is an article about this exact issue. I found several articles saying basically the same thing but this article had the best and easiest description.
https://www.justaskgemalto.com/us/what-cookie-it-ok-accept-cookies-access-web-site/

"You can control how you treat cookies with your Internet browser privacy settings. You probably do not want to block all cookies, because that would really limit the quality of your Internet experience. You can set your browser to ask your permission before accepting a cookie though, and only accept them from Web sites you trust.

In some cases, you cannot make a wireless connection or access a Web site without allowing cookies for that site. Search cookies in your browser’s help tool for information on how to control and manage cookies on your PC."

I use two blockers, always have. WS still crashes more than it ever has before. Whether on mobile or laptop. The number of readers is small. 1000 is not a lot to cause these crashes. It crashes through the day. Not just in the evening. Why the link to Facebook on here, btw? Does ws want to move over to Facebook eventually?
Matou,
We have a Facebook page so we can let people who use Facebook know about Websleuths.
We are working on the problem. We know the forum is crashing.
At some point so many people will use a.d. b.locker and Websleuths will shut down. Just FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member