Welcome To Websleuths # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if my post regarding the site complexity could be acknowledged. I'm not asking in a snarky way. I pointed out a problem and a possible solution.

The problems this site is giving users have nothing to do with Apple devices, or not accepting cookies. The complexity of each page loaded is putting undue stress on the server and on our web browsers. One reason Tapatalk is so helpful is that it delivers a pared down version of each page, with only the necessities and not a whole bunch of extras.

As another example, this page contains 589 links!!! (More or less.) That's a very high number for a single page of a thread. I would appreciate it if my message would be acknowledged.

Okay, just to verify to myself I really am zipping around with no problem. I hit post and numbered them on the first nine new threads. They are really there.

Okay, just to verify to myself I really am zipping around with no problem. I hit post and numbered them on the first nine new threads. They are really there.
Let us know if it still works later today when historically the site gets very sluggish. I have had no problems at midnight or at this hour. It’s only during the afternoon and evening hours that things go down hill pretty quickly.

This will sound crazy but it’s par for the course for me - so go figure. I too kept getting the 503 error. I went to Xenfro and downloaded the 208 and 209 zip file and now am zipping around like Speedy Gonzales.

503 errors have nothing to do with us as users. 503 errors occur because the site is overloaded or down for maintenance. Any errors starting with a 5 are errors on the website/server side of things, NOT the users. So I think it’s probably a coincidence that you are moving faster because of the downloads. My understanding is that these downloads are for Xenforo clients (meaning the websites, not the users of a website).

Just wondering if my post regarding the site complexity could be acknowledged. I'm not asking in a snarky way. I pointed out a problem and a possible solution.

The problems this site is giving users have nothing to do with Apple devices, or not accepting cookies. The complexity of each page loaded is putting undue stress on the server and on our web browsers. One reason Tapatalk is so helpful is that it delivers a pared down version of each page, with only the necessities and not a whole bunch of extras.

As another example, this page contains 589 links!!! (More or less.) That's a very high number for a single page of a thread. I would appreciate it if my message would be acknowledged.

Evee, if you want a specific post to get noticed, tag the person's name on it: like @ Tricia (but with no spaces). She/he should get a notification to check it out.

Anything?

Where do we go to find our "Warning Points" or "Time-out Point" or "Naughty/Bad Points" or whatever they are called?

I will admit, I had been a little bad, my fault entirely of course, and I got a time-out - rightly so, but it's very frustrating to not be able to find out how many you have... I want to work on what I did wrong and ensure I get rid of the points but, it's making it impossible.

Also, the new site did not tell me that I was on a time-out nor did it tell me how long I was on a time out for, so, where do we find that? Because I had to message the mod directly to find that out.... had he/she not told me, I would have no idea.

503 errors have nothing to do with us as users. 503 errors occur because the site is overloaded or down for maintenance. Any errors starting with a 5 are errors on the website/server side of things, NOT the users. So I think it’s probably a coincidence that you are moving faster because of the downloads. My understanding is that these downloads are for Xenforo clients (meaning the websites, not the users of a website).
I agree. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. It helps us all when we learn and it eases frustrations. The 503 was only one of many error msgs I’ve been receiving. I used it as reference. Like most, it was tortoise slow and simple likes would lock me up where I had to close out and reopen often. That flashing square in my upper right corner was so irritating and half the screen would go black. Here’s something else that only proves my posts sound stupid. I didn’t even extract the zips, I just saved them to my iCloud. I don’t even know where they are or how to find them again. All I know is ever since I did it, I feel badly y’all are still having problems. My uneducated opinion is scripting is at least some of the problems, a box of salt added to that. Throw this into the mix: I have no b.ocker running.

Would not allowing 3rd party cookies do that? I'm pretty sure I accept them from this site itself. Thanks for the info.

In answer to the cookie question itself.. All users must now be checked against our database and the ad server database in order to be certain the wishes of the user are obeyed. This does add a little overhead but in most cases it is minimal. Those who choose to not accept WS cookies or use software that others might suggest should expect issues. These issues I cannot help with.

This will sound crazy but it’s par for the course for me - so go figure. I too kept getting the 503 error. I went to Xenfro and downloaded the 208 and 209 zip file and now am zipping around like Speedy Gonzales.

You may as well delete those, they will have no affect and are not meant for users to download.

This morning seems acceptable, but I am wondering if our large number of guests may impact our speed. Many sites have guests simply read, no posting or searching. If our guests are searching and downloading large results, or other intensive activities, it might impact us. Yes, I know many "guests" are really members, but verifying their status over and over might bog WS down, or worse provide access beyond what is wise.
Wish I knew more about this slowing problem we are seeing, but I see some very know sharp posters here.

You are correct on all points. Guest numbers right now are huge, search is a very server hungry process and search is turned on for guests. Tricia is most likely asleep right now but I went ahead and turned search off for guests, I will face her later. I do need to be clear though that I do not think this will make any kind of magical impact.

You may as well delete those, they will have no affect and are not meant for users to download.
Yeah, if I could find them. I needed a giggle. I know you got this Dave. I think it’s just my lucky day so I’ll enjoy it. I hope you do too.

In answer to the cookie question itself.. All users must now be checked against our database and the ad server database in order to be certain the wishes of the user are obeyed. This does add a little overhead but in most cases it is minimal. Those who choose to not accept WS cookies or use software that others might suggest should expect issues. These issues I cannot help with.
How do I know my cookie status, and would it have changed without my knowledge in the last couple of days? Thanks & please forgive if it's a stupid question.

I agree. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. It helps us all when we learn and it eases frustrations. The 503 was only one of many error msgs I’ve been receiving. I used it as reference. Like most, it was tortoise slow and simple likes would lock me up where I had to close out and reopen often. That flashing square in my upper right corner was so irritating and half the screen would go black. Here’s something else that only proves my posts sound stupid. I didn’t even extract the zips, I just saved them to my iCloud. I don’t even know where they are or how to find them again. All I know is ever since I did it, I feel badly y’all are still having problems. My uneducated opinion is scripting is at least some of the problems, a box of salt added to that. Throw this into the mix: I have no b.ocker running.

I don't think your posts sound stupid and I hope I didn't make you feel that way. I just didn't want people to download files that really aren't relevant to us as members (the xenforo zip files).

I've received a few different errors as well, but mostly 503, which is an issue on the website's end. I will try to do some more research and see what I can come up with, if anything at all.

@Tricia... this has probably already been done but just a suggestion in case it hasn't been... maybe Dave can restart the server(s) to see if that help at all.

I don't think your posts sound stupid and I hope I didn't make you feel that way. I just didn't want people to download files that really aren't relevant to us as members (the xenforo zip files).

I've received a few different errors as well, but mostly 503, which is an issue on the website's end. I will try to do some more research and see what I can come up with, if anything at all.

@Tricia... this has probably already been done but just a suggestion in case it hasn't been... maybe Dave can restart the server(s) to see if that help at all.
I didn’t take it that way at all. I’m actually laughing a lot at myself this morning. It feels good to laugh.

@Eevee Pie - by adding @Tricia and/or @WS Admin to any of your posts, it should ensure that it will be reviewed. Then you'll receive acknowlegement one way or another.

FWIW, I agree with your assessments of the situation.
Hth :)

You are correct on all points. Guest numbers right now are huge, search is a very server hungry process and search is turned on for guests. Tricia is most likely asleep right now but I went ahead and turned search off for guests, I will face her later. I do need to be clear though that I do not think this will make any kind of magical impact.

Just an FYI. @WS Admin, For the first time since I started having trouble, this time all seems well. And there are over 1,000 people here right now. It may only be a fluke, but just maybe you helped, techie guy. Magical indeed, if this makes a difference. I'll gladly take it.

And a thank you for coming here and giving us some of your thoughts.

Let me explain, hopefully in very simple terms what is going on and why it is not back to 100% yet.

First off traffic has nearly doubled in the last couple of weeks. While the server is a beast and can certainly handle the increased traffic, it cannot do so "out of the box". things must be "tuned up" to handle this. Now I know you are thinking "well tune the damn thing up and let us move forward", it is not that simple.

In order to find out what changes are beneficial and which are not, these changes must be made 1 at a time. Once a change is made I must restart the database (knocking WS offline for a bit). Once the database restarts it is suggested to let it run untouched for 48 hours. I feel 24 is ok to give me a general idea for now and can proceed with step 2 after this period. Later when things are really close I will let it run for 48 hours just to get the fine fine fine detailing done. during this waiting time (after rebooting the database) it takes time for things to settle, things will not be running at their best. In other words I have to go offline for a bit, followed by a slow down period just in order to speed things up. Then, the next day I make another change and start the process over. This entire process can take from a couple of weeks to a couple of months to get perfected.

Know that we are aware and working on the problem. you can expect small improvements on a daily basis. While I understand your frustrations, there is not a need to repeat the issue in this thread, it is already being worked on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Natasja