Welcome To Websleuths # 4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be curious to know what software is giving you these warnings. It could be bad software or to tight of settings.

@imstilla.grandma I am going to ask that your post be edited, do not take it personal. The reason is that this site and the sites like it turn anything that people may search for into a supposed virus so that the software they peddle can be pushed, it has nothing to do with virus threats just dollars. These sites should be avoided at all costs.

Lets look some real information. T.lkqd.net Safe? Check it Now | URLVoid

35 blacklists say they are clean, 0 say they are dirty.
Not personal at all. I was weary of posting. I should have thought longer before hitting post. Something I should do more often. I often have buyers remorse after posting. I thank you for responding. You know I’ve always supported you and your efforts. I remember driving you crazy with my incessant inquiries on Beta. You were always respectful, kind, patient and helpful. I remember that and I won’t forget it.

A while back I sent info to Tricia responding to another post/thread on this. I do not recall my research on this but if she posted it you should be able to find it with a search.

Dave, Are you talking about the time out/points issue or something else? Tricia posted on the time out/point subject at the beginning of this thread, but it was just a quote of her original post on thread 1 and didn’t address the questions we’ve been asking since thread 1. If that isn’t what you are talking about, that’s OK, but a search won’t help if it is. Thanks!

Below is the Time Out section of Tricia’s May 23, 2018 post, which was 3 months ago.
At the end of the post she writes “I'll be coming back and answering any questions you may have.”

Welcome To Websleuths

One of the biggest changes is going to be how we handle putting members on timeout.

Your timeouts are all done by a point system. This will take away any guesswork.

You are allowed up to 5 points in a 30 day period before you are timed out. The time out length depends on the amount of points you end up. Say you have 4 points and you do something really horrible like call someone stupid. Calling someone stupid could be worth 4 points. Now all of a sudden you have 8 points and that means you get a 5 day time out.

Please do not hold me to these exact numbers. I'm trying to remember and to be honest, my memory sucks more than a sucker fish in a sucking contest.

You will get warnings and your warning is assigned a point value. Let's say being snarky is two points. Those two points will stay on your user name for 30 days then the points drop off.

No one should be getting any points right?

Please remember if you get 5 points or more in 30 days then you are timed out for three days. As the points against you go up so does the time you spend I timeout.
You can solve the problem of being timed out by behaving and reading our Terms of Service.

There is more to tell you and I'll be coming back and answering any questions you may have.

When I was on time out earlier in the week I got a notification telling me I was TO'd, but no indication of points or where to find them, nor how long the TO would be. I've also asked multiple times and searched all the "Welcome" threads using variations of "points"/"time out" etc. as search terms and have not found an answer -- just dozens of posts in which people ask the same question. How do I see "naughty" points??

Below is the Time Out section of Tricia’s May 23, 2018 post, which was 3 months ago.
At the end of the post she writes “I'll be coming back and answering any questions you may have.”

Welcome To Websleuths

One of the biggest changes is going to be how we handle putting members on timeout.

Your timeouts are all done by a point system. This will take away any guesswork.

You are allowed up to 5 points in a 30 day period before you are timed out. The time out length depends on the amount of points you end up. Say you have 4 points and you do something really horrible like call someone stupid. Calling someone stupid could be worth 4 points. Now all of a sudden you have 8 points and that means you get a 5 day time out.

Please do not hold me to these exact numbers. I'm trying to remember and to be honest, my memory sucks more than a sucker fish in a sucking contest.

You will get warnings and your warning is assigned a point value. Let's say being snarky is two points. Those two points will stay on your user name for 30 days then the points drop off.

Please remember if you get 5 points or more in 30 days then you are timed out for three days. As the points against you go up so does the time you spend I timeout.
You can solve the problem of being timed out by behaving and reading our Terms of Service.

There is more to tell you and I'll be coming back and answering any questions you may have.
Again, the TOS. Can these be revisited please? They seem to warrant a review to update and implement new policies and procedures. I recognize this is a major audit and involves team collaboration in developing and executing the process. Priority assignment in System task management has to override individual member grievances and concerns. I get it.

Opinion only:
The time out points must be addressed in an official manner at some point for the overall good of the whole.

Agreeable to deletion is the following:
I went all over that Beta site. I found valuable discussions taking place on the time out issuing of points. If I could find my old IPad??, I have them copied to my notes somewhere. But I’m comfortable posting what I recall. All I say is paraphrased. I’m old btw, so grain of salt added for good measure.

I remember sincere discussions. The ‘powers that be’ were thoughtful of members. Very. i.e.:
-Say a member that’s usually always considerate and follows the rules and is a useful contributing member...how many points for a one time violation? A warning? Lesser days?
- Say a member is an active participant and is valuable to most discussions; yet is triggered (evidently) in a particular hot thread and becomes disruptive? How would we apply those points? Should they only be timed out for a specific thread?
- More discussion, I’d have to ponder on it to remember more...but it centered around the value of Membership and the necessary evil of Moderation.
-The premise of my post is “no one here is our enemy” Whatever side of the street we live on, we’re all still neighbors. We will find a way to overcome. But we have to communicate freely within the guidelines of common courtesy. Manners still count.

Last edited:

Welcome To Websleuths

Thanks for quoting. This post about time outs was re-posted exactly as written in May just this past Sunday around noon, with no further explanation. (See link in my post above) A few hours later, I posted asking about time out points and also how/whether to let Dave know about problems.

No answer, so perhaps the point system is being re-considered? Based on the discussion points raised during the beta testing that @imstilla.grandma just posted, I honestly don’t think points are useful, and have become an unnecessary source of irritation. I think the old system worked better, and communication was clear, at least in my case.
JMO

Tricia’s post dated May 18, 2018 stated:
“The way we will handle timeouts and bannings is changing. [...]
This is a way to take away the judgment call we have been making. Now everyone is equal.”

Websleuths is MOVING to a new home
ONE MORE BIG ANNOUNCEMENT TO HELP JUMP START YOUR NERVES LOL.

The way we will handle timeouts and bannings is changing.

Now we will use a points system.

Let's say you post something really obnoxious in the Anthony forum. You would be alerted that you have a warning. The warning will tell you what you did wrong and how many points you received due to your comment.

Each infraction will be assigned points.

Example: A snarky comment is worth 2 points. Those two points will stay on your record for 30 days. If within 30 days you end up with 5 points you get a 3 day time out.

The good news is the points drop off your record after 30 days.

If you end up being so difficult that the infractions total more than 5 points in a 30 day period your time out will be longer.

This is a way to take away the judgment call we have been making. Now everyone is equal.

Something else that is really different but I know you are going to love.

The private messages are now called "Conversations".

"Conversations" look just like discussion threads but the difference is only the people involved in the conversation can see what is being said. Also, you can invite up to 5 other members to your private conversation. In other words, instead of taking things to email that you are not allowed to discuss openly on Websleuths, you can have your own mini-forum discussing the case with a group of members and get to say all kinds of crazy things that I will never know you are saying.

See? This move and new software is going to be fun.

Thanks for quoting. This post about time outs was re-posted exactly as written in May just this past Sunday around noon, with no further explanation. (See link in my post above) A few hours later, I posted asking about time out points and also how/whether to let Dave know about problems.

No answer, so perhaps the point system is being re-considered? Based on the discussion points raised during the beta testing that @imstilla.grandma just posted, I honestly don’t think points are useful, and have become an unnecessary source of irritation. I think the old system worked better, and communication was clear, at least in my case.
JMO
I’m constantly reminded of demerits in Girl Scouts when I hear the word ‘timeout’ points and warnings.
Tricia’s post dated May 18, 2018 stated:
“The way we will handle timeouts and bannings is changing. [...]
This is a way to take away the judgment call we have been making. Now everyone is equal.”

Websleuths is MOVING to a new home
In reading Tricia’s post you reference. I wonder how one’s own personal subjective dictionary affects various moderators’ decisions and how they define the word “snarky”. An absolute group think is not possible. Neither is it socially desired as it interrupts progress to grow as individuals or as an entity.

I just now clicked on my alerts and got the following in a plain black and white screen.
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@websleuths.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Communication is a two way street. What say you @Tricia?
@WS Admin? Is it possible to add something to the Help menu for members only. (btw, the Help isn’t really that helpful as it currently stands)

Please understand that your request of me is not the only one. I have two email accounts filled with emails, I have Websleuths Facebook and Twitter messages. Not to mention the private messages here and finally the phone calls I need to complete for verifications and there are many times a person who has lost a loved one needs a shoulder.

Please do not take it personally if I do not answer you or get back with you.

We are extremely short-handed right now. Three of our long-time administrators are not working on Websleuths at the moment and haven't been for a while.
2 of the 3 are coming back but I don't know when. I'm trying to train new mods as we speak but since we are a volunteer organization it is hard to find people who have the time to be able to help Websleuths.
This is a free website where we do our best to provide a good service. The communication that I think you are wanting from me is not possible at the moment. I check this thread when possible and if I am able to help out I am glad to do so.

Once we have more volunteers and our 2 longtime administrators return then things will really lighten up and I can do more with your ideas and suggestions.

Until then I ask for your patience.

Thank you,
Tricia

Please understand that your request of me is not the only one. I have two email accounts filled with emails, I have Websleuths Facebook and Twitter messages. Not to mention the private messages here and finally the phone calls I need to complete for verifications and there are many times a person who has lost a loved one needs a shoulder.

Please do not take it personally if I do not answer you or get back with you.

We are extremely short-handed right now. Three of our long-time administrators are not working on Websleuths at the moment and haven't been for a while.
2 of the 3 are coming back but I don't know when. I'm trying to train new mods as we speak but since we are a volunteer organization it is hard to find people who have the time to be able to help Websleuths.
This is a free website where we do our best to provide a good service. The communication that I think you are wanting from me is not possible at the moment. I check this thread when possible and if I am able to help out I am glad to do so.

Once we have more volunteers and our 2 longtime administrators return then things will really lighten up and I can do more with your ideas and suggestions.

Until then I ask for your patience.

Thank you,
Tricia

Can we be of any help to you, @Tricia?

I really hate to complain again - but can't post yet on this thread I reference.

On Shanann's thread:

sillybilly said:
Thread is now closed for the night.

Go have some R&R and check back in the morning.

posted at 7:07am MY Time.

If you post - check back in the morning - it would be nice if we had a time. I mean it's already afternoon here now - 3:30pm - so 8:30am ET.

Just curious "when" it might be open - I've caught up on it now! :)

@WS Admin
I'm sorry to be confused in knowing what to alert you on these days, so this is just an FYI if needed.
I've had a few problems happening the past two or three days:

--using Ipad, cookies and data cleared; device has been restarted/refreshed several times a day. Fresh first thing every morning.

--When I first tried to open WS this morning I got a "timed-out" error. Closed the page and re-entered, and it was OK. (Happened several times yesterday)

-- the pages have been running very slowly the past two or three days (since we had over 3,000 online the other day, though that isn't the issue now). I often have to tap the like button more than once to get it to work; or the same with "post reply". Page change often moves to next page very slowly, or opens with partial format (see next item) it doesn't always/often work with just one try.

--- I have often been getting a half-formatted screen with no outlines (or partial lines) around the posts. See screenshots attached. However, if I refresh the page, it will revert to a normal screen.

Attachments

• 382EFC87-A015-4F43-8FA6-C3204F09DCA9.png
    382EFC87-A015-4F43-8FA6-C3204F09DCA9.png
    288.1 KB · Views: 17
  • AE1D0405-A3CF-4D17-A80B-837557BE0254.png
    AE1D0405-A3CF-4D17-A80B-837557BE0254.png
    215.5 KB · Views: 18
@WS Admin
I'm sorry to be confused in knowing what to alert you on these days, so this is just an FYI if needed.
I've had a few problems happening the past two or three days:

--using Ipad, cookies and data cleared; device has been restarted/refreshed several times a day. Fresh first thing every morning.

--When I first tried to open WS this morning I got a "timed-out" error. Closed the page and re-entered, and it was OK. (Happened several times yesterday)

-- the pages have been running very slowly the past two or three days (since we had over 3,000 online the other day, though that isn't the issue now). I often have to tap the like button more than once to get it to work; or the same with "post reply". Page change often moves to next page very slowly, or opens with partial format (see next item) it doesn't always/often work with just one try.

--- I have often been getting a half-formatted screen with no outlines (or partial lines) around the posts. See screenshots attached. However, if I refresh the page, it will revert to a normal screen.
I’m on an iPhone and have had the same exact issues the past 3 days. I keep having to close the window and open a new one. It works perfectly for about a minute and then starts doing what you explained :confused:

I really hate to complain again - but can't post yet on this thread I reference.

On Shanann's thread:

posted at 7:07am MY Time.

If you post - check back in the morning - it would be nice if we had a time. I mean it's already afternoon here now - 3:30pm - so 8:30am ET.

Just curious "when" it might be open - I've caught up on it now! :)
Hi Niner,

I will do my best to have threads open by 7:30 AM Mountain or sooner

Hi Niner,

I will do my best to have threads open by 7:30 AM Mountain or sooner

Is that because it's in Colorado? MT? And on Mollie's - open about 7:30AM Central Time?

Thank you Tricia!

I would be curious to know what software is giving you these warnings. It could be bad software or to tight of settings.

Lets look some real information. T.lkqd.net Safe? Check it Now | URLVoid

35 blacklists say they are clean, 0 say they are dirty.

SBM:

ESET version 11.2.49.0

I am in a law office setting (so I run a tight ship, security-wise) on a PC with an old version of Windows (7 maybe?) I'm using Firefox these days, updated. The thing is that I have been a member here for over 6 years I think now and have NEVER had issues like these. I'm patient and loyal, though. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee