GUILTY WI - Alexander Woodworth, 24, stabbed 16 times by Ezra McCandless, Eau Claire, Mar 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Stepping back a bit, does anyone else feel like this crime was badly investigated?

I know the conditions were tough, but there just doesn’t seem to be much if any forensic evidence regarding tire tracks, where the defendant and victim might have walked prior to the crime, AW’s socks, jacket, confirmation of the other male DNA profiles found on EM, AW’s boots and or mud/debris on them, whether any substances (alcohol/drugs) were found in either of their systems, further investigation of the tires and anything that might have been used to get them unstuck, I’m assuming there was nothing in the phone records of interest but still, etc.

The reason I bring that up is because the state theory that she lured AW out to kill him and premeditated it days before is somewhat ludicrous. Even those of us who think she’s guilty don’t think that theory works. If I had to guess I would imagine most of us believe she snapped because of something that happened before or during a sexual encounter with AW.

But the state backed themselves into a corner with their theory. I know they are not required to show motive, but a more likely theory would have been helpful. And I feel like a lack of additional evidence caused them to go that route.

Say she DID plan on killing him out in the wilderness then her car got stuck.

Either way, having more evidence would have been very helpful.

Notice in her testimony EM stated that when the car got stuck only SHE git out and looked for things to stick under the tires or otherwise get it unstuck.

Does that sound right to ANYONE?

Why would the 5’2” 130lb chick get out and try to get her car unstuck, while the much bigger man that was IN LOVE WITH HER just sit in the car saying and doing nothing.

Remember, that was her testimony. He said and did nothing.

I think she knew there would be no boot prints or other evidence that he had been walking around the car trying to help get it unstuck, because he was already dead!

But with no further evidence collected that’s impossible to say, now.

Or what if she originally stabbed him away from the car somewhere? Maybe that’s why there wasn’t much blood except for outside next to the car? Maybe after stabbing him he was in shock, and she told him she’d help him (knowing she wouldn’t), and they walked back to the car. Where he sat in the back, and she waited until he was unconscious.

I can’t put my finger on it, but his positioning was just...odd.

I think she got stuck after killing him. The evidence needed to determine that would’ve been elsewhere, and on his boots, and on his jacket, etc.

I didn't know about this case until I stumbled upon a news article. I've been catching up on the trial today.
All I can say at the moment is, EM reminds me of Arias and you can't make this stuff up.........:eek:

ETA: The picture of Alex in the back seat looks like he was laying in the backseat and got flung onto the floor when the brakes where slammed on. I'm not sure if that's even a possibility with the evidence, but that's what it looked like at first glance.

Stepping back a bit, does anyone else feel like this crime was badly investigated?

I know the conditions were tough, but there just doesn’t seem to be much if any forensic evidence regarding tire tracks, where the defendant and victim might have walked prior to the crime, AW’s socks, jacket, confirmation of the other male DNA profiles found on EM, AW’s boots and or mud/debris on them, whether any substances (alcohol/drugs) were found in either of their systems, further investigation of the tires and anything that might have been used to get them unstuck, I’m assuming there was nothing in the phone records of interest but still, etc.

The reason I bring that up is because the state theory that she lured AW out to kill him and premeditated it days before is somewhat ludicrous. Even those of us who think she’s guilty don’t think that theory works. If I had to guess I would imagine most of us believe she snapped because of something that happened before or during a sexual encounter with AW.

But the state backed themselves into a corner with their theory. I know they are not required to show motive, but a more likely theory would have been helpful. And I feel like a lack of additional evidence caused them to go that route.

Say she DID plan on killing him out in the wilderness then her car got stuck.

Either way, having more evidence would have been very helpful.

Notice in her testimony EM stated that when the car got stuck only SHE git out and looked for things to stick under the tires or otherwise get it unstuck.

Why would the 5’2” 130lb chick get out and try to get her car unstuck, while the much bigger man that was IN LOVE WITH HER just sit in the car saying and doing nothing.

I think she knew there would be no boot prints or other evidence that he had been walking around the car trying to help get it unstuck, because he was already dead!

But with no further evidence collected that’s impossible to say, now.

Or what if she originally stabbed him away from the car somewhere? Maybe that’s why there wasn’t much blood except for outside next to the car? Maybe after stabbing him he was in shock, and she told him she’d help him (knowing she wouldn’t), and they walked back to the car. Where he sat in the back, and she waited until he was unconscious.

I can’t put my finger on it, but his positioning was just...odd.

I think she got stuck after killing him. The evidence needed to determine that would’ve been elsewhere, and on his boots, and on his jacket, etc.
Maybe they botched the investigation. Not sure how small the town is and what type of forensic operation they have. I agree, there seemed to be no investigation of the crime scene. I did miss the first few days so maybe I missed something.

Deja Vishny seems to have a really good track record of getting her clients acquitted. I’m eager to see if she does the closing or if Nelson will.
I agree. He was horrible in his opening statement. IMHO

To me, this is the kind of common-sense moment that the prosecution missed. She went and sat on a trailer hitch by herself in the middle of nowhere while Alex sat in the car -- not speaking, not helping -- until he came to her and persuaded her to lie down in the backseat of the stuck car, which she inexplicably did. Instead of trying to decode Alex's journals, the prosecution should have focused on the plethora of things she said that just don't make sense. I'd like to think that they will put it all together in closing arguments but I'm not optimistic.

I went back and watched the beginning of Jason's testimony to see Ezra's reaction to him again.

10/23/19 WI v. McCandless: Defendant's Ex-Boyfriend Testifies About Sex, Abortion and Assault - Court TV

My observations:

1. She looks like she's about to have an orgasm just at the sight of him.
2. Her glasses were on the top of her head when he first came in, was sworn in and for a minute after he sat down. Yet she still couldn't take her (blind?) eyes off him. Is she blind without her glasses or not?

I went back and watched the beginning of Jason's testimony to see Ezra's reaction to him again.

10/23/19 WI v. McCandless: Defendant's Ex-Boyfriend Testifies About Sex, Abortion and Assault - Court TV

My observations:

2. Her glasses were on the top of her head when he first came in, was sworn in and for a minute after he sat down. Yet she still couldn't take her (blind?) eyes off him. Is she blind without her glasses or not?

I agree, she had a very visible response to JM. I bet her lawyers wanted to crawl under the table when they saw it. I hope the jurors noticed.

I'm not sure she's as visually impaired as she testified to. She had her glasses off for a period of time when the car was stuck as well, but she was able to see where Alex was as she was sitting on the hitch of the trailer without her glasses on.

My observations:

Agree and her glasses don't look that thick either. As someone with horrible vision, I know that no matter how much I spend on my glasses, they can only be made so thin. Of course, my eye issues may not be the same as hers, but I'm hoping the state got a look at her glasses prescription and verified she really is as blind as she says she is.

That's all folks....All we have left is the closing statements. So sad that first the Detectives did a sorry job investigating the crime scene and didn't even bother to try to recreate the actually crime with the evidence at the site. Then the Prosecution was not aggressive when opportunity was presented. They showed no passion for this case in the least. What a disappointment. Not to forget that the murder of Alex got lost in all the time and effort spent on blaming and disparaging him and twisting his written musings. Lastly, poor Ezra with all her emotional and IQ disabilities over shadowed the murder of Alex.

That's all folks....All we have left is the closing statements. So sad that first the Detectives did a sorry job investigating the crime scene and didn't even bother to try to recreate the actually crime with the evidence at the site. Then the Prosecution was not aggressive when opportunity was presented. They showed no passion for this case in the least. What a disappointment. Not to forget that the murder of Alex got lost in all the time and effort spent on blaming and disparaging him and twisting his written musings. Lastly, poor Ezra with all her emotional and IQ disabilities over shadowed the murder of Alex.
Yeah I don’t get it. I went to court to fight a traffic stop and the cop was there with meticulous notes and dashcam evidence, lol I paid. It sucks but you’d hope the entities involved would learn this and address their short-comings. The defense wasn’t spectacular, they were just better than the state.

I'm guessing she'll get a guilty from the jury but I'm usually wrong.
This has been a most interesting trial from what I have been able to catch on court tv. I've been having trouble with it on facebook so just bits and pieces. I did think the defense did a pretty good job on that grade school/high school friend that took the stand today. With friends like that who needs enemies..as the saying goes.

This has been a most interesting trial from what I have been able to catch on court tv. I've been having trouble with it on facebook so just bits and pieces. I did think the defense did a pretty good job on that grade school/high school friend that took the stand today. With friends like that who needs enemies..as the saying goes.

Wow, I thought the defense failed miserably on the friend. Made it even clearer how much she lies.

I have no clue what to expect, having mostly just watched Florida trials where the juries are wildly unpredictable. (Oh, Florida....). What are Wisconsin juries like? I guess we'll find out. I do think that if Ezra is acquitted she will likely reoffend in some way and end up behind bars eventually.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back