AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have the link to the clip where a school mate was interviewed? It was very short but I remember seeing it and wanted to look at it again. TIA!

Suicide occurs at a far higher rate than murder, and that may have played in to the dispatcher’s assumption that this was a possible suicide attempt.

As for a vehicle perhaps passing police on their way to the scene, it’s certainly possible.

Fortunately, dashboard cameras would likely clear this up for them.

I was thinking that the suicide inference from the scene was after the responding officer saw the first victim (father I presume), which if so could indicate that a head/facial wound was present, and perhaps he even had a gun/rifle in tow.

JMO.

Suicide occurs at a far higher rate than murder, and that may have played in to the dispatcher’s assumption that this was a possible suicide attempt.

As for a vehicle perhaps passing police on their way to the scene, it’s certainly possible.

Fortunately, dashboard cameras would likely clear this up for them.
Barron County also had a very similar call last October. The second paragraph below is almost verbatim what Fitzgerald has said in Jayme's case.

UPDATE: Deputies rule Chetek deaths a murder-suicide
Investigators say 55 year-old John Hengst shot and killed his ex-wife, Brenda Turner and her teenage daughter, Natalie Turner before turning the gun on himself. Deputies discovered the bodies after losing contact with 17 year-old Natalie Turner, who called 911 asking for help.

Investigators are hoping the 911 call might shed light into what happened inside the home that evening. "You hear some yelling in the background and that's what we're working on determining exactly what was actually said word for word and we actually may send it in for some enhancements because you can't hear some of the words," said Sheriff Fitzgerald.

New here. I also questioned why they assumed suicide. That struck me as so odd. Was it because LE does not imagine a murder happening, so they immediately think suicide? Or was it something they heard on 911 call that made them think this? Recently they said they could only make out the word "help" so I don't think the 911 call made them think suicide. The reason I bring up the suicide angle is that if LE thought they were going to a suicide call, they may not have noticed a car(s) leaving the scene and may have passed a car fleeing. 4 minutes to escape on those roads without being noticed made me think they escaped on foot and were maybe staying hidden nearby. But now that it is maybe 9 minutes, and town is not that far, I suppose a car(s) could get away without being noticed within 9 minutes.

I wondered about why their first impression would be suicide, especially since they found his body in the doorway, and no gun.
The only scenario I have come up with is a gunshot wound to the head would appear as a suicide.
But then I’ve thought that’s a pretty tight area around the door for a rifle or shotgun initially. And then thought possibly he was shot twice. Once to gain entry and then once again.

New here. I also questioned why they assumed suicide. That struck me as so odd. Was it because LE does not imagine a murder happening, so they immediately think suicide? Or was it something they heard on 911 call that made them think this? Recently they said they could only make out the word "help" so I don't think the 911 call made them think suicide. The reason I bring up the suicide angle is that if LE thought they were going to a suicide call, they may not have noticed a car(s) leaving the scene and may have passed a car fleeing. 4 minutes to escape on those roads without being noticed made me think they escaped on foot and were maybe staying hidden nearby. But now that it is maybe 9 minutes, and town is not that far, I suppose a car(s) could get away without being noticed within 9 minutes.

I think it was initially diagnosed as a suicide because they saw one body at first and suicides are far more common than homicides. They probably didn't notice the cars passing them on the way there. It has been discussed that they could check their dash cams for the time they drove to the scene to see which vehicles drove by them, but I'm not sure it has been verified that these vehicles had functioning dash cams that were on all the time. The policy on dash cams can vary from department to department.

Follow up to my post re: timeline of officers dispatched.
It appears all 3 officers reportedly arrived within one second. At 1:00:29, 1:00:30, 1:00:30.
So, my theory they may have arrived 1-3 minutes apart was wrong.
I'm sorry. I should have checked the lower part of the log first.

Barron County also had a very similar call last October. The second paragraph below is almost verbatim what Fitzgerald has said in Jayme's case.

Investigators say 55 year-old John Hengst shot and killed his ex-wife, Brenda Turner and her teenage daughter, Natalie Turner before turning the gun on himself. Deputies discovered the bodies after losing contact with 17 year-old Natalie Turner, who called 911 asking for help.

Investigators are hoping the 911 call might shed light into what happened inside the home that evening. "You hear some yelling in the background and that's what we're working on determining exactly what was actually said word for word and we actually may send it in for some enhancements because you can't hear some of the words," said Sheriff Fitzgerald.
Ummmmmm........are they certain this was a murder suicide?

I was thinking that the suicide inference from the scene was after the responding officer saw the first victim (father I presume), which if so could indicate that a head/facial wound was present, and perhaps he even had a gun/rifle in tow.

JMO.
Unless I am wrong, the officers were dispatched to a “possible suicide attempt.”

I agree that upon arrival, the father’s body may have had head wounds indicative of a self inflicted gunshot.

I don’t think there was a gun near his body, as they fairly quickly came to the conclusion that this was not a murder/suicide.

Something told them that.

Unfortunately, visualizing what is public about this case, leads me to agree with those suggesting the perp was very angry. Opportunistic, perhaps, but angry seems to fit more. Gutsy or nutsy to stick around 20 minutes after shooting someone. In those 20 minutes, thinking the worst, would be tormenting the mother. The worst torment after seeing her husband dead or dying would be to be forced to watch her daughter being harmed and/or being tortured herself. LE hasn't described if there were signs of a prolonged assault on the mother, or blood / dna of the perp, or that of JC. What was yelled? Who was screaming? Why these people? What gets someone this angry in the woods of Wisconsin?

Your cited source is excerpts from an ABC article.
The call type was changed hrs later.
When they found mom, they may have still thought murder/suicide.
You are right though, by 1:30 am (approx) they knew there were no guns present. It didn’t take hrs to figure that out, just to change the call type in the log.
The incident was changed from "Suicidal Person / Attempted Suicide" to "Homicide" at 3:05:47 by the 911 dispatcher. A little over 2 hours after the first officers arrive on scene.

See page 10.
http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/barron+county+call+log.pdf

Personally 12 days isn't that long for the investigation. Jayme yes of course but can you imagine sorting through 1400 tips, family members, telephone records and pinging phones plus the activities of everybody involved. Then preparing from press conferences.

Daunting for sure. Officers working around the clock because those men and women know time is of the essence when a young girl is missing.

Just saw the alert this morning on a billboard on a major bridge connecting southern NJ and Philadelphia. That was the first one I have seen around here.

Prayers to the family today as they bury their loved ones. I know it was said in the obituary that Denise loved angels...may angels lead you in Denise and James and may god protect and bring Jayme home safely

<modsnip - quoted post and reference to it removed>. The Sheriff has stated several times that James was found dead at the scene. He isn't lying about such things. There are no entries in the incident log that reflect any attempt to transport anyone from the scene and there absolutely would have been had that been the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another possible explanation for suicide assumption.

A year ago, this sheriff's department just recently responded to a murder/suicide in October 2017. I'd imagine it was a pretty horrific scene. This area doesn't see much of this kind of crime. And the most recent example they have experienced, was a suicide.

I won't link just bc I don't want to cause confusion, but searching Barron county murder suicide 2017 will get you there. Maybe even some of these same deputies responded. Who knows.

We know this current crime was dispatched as a 911 hangup where nothing was said directly to dispatch. It was briefly classified as a suicide in the call log, but ultimately it is a homicide. Jmo.

Personally 12 days isn't that long for the investigation. Jayme yes of course but can you imagine sorting through 1400 tips, family members, telephone records and pinging phones plus the activities of everybody involved. Then preparing from press conferences.

Daunting for sure. Officers working around the clock because those men and women know time is of the essence when a young girl is missing.
They are actually up to 2000 tips now. I agree, 12 days isn’t a long time as far as these things go.

For all we know, there is no solid connection between the perpetrator and the family. If that does turn out to be the case, this could go on a hell of a lot longer than a couple weeks.

inurner and her teenage daughter, Natalie Turner before turning the gun on himself. Deputies discovered the bodies after losing contact with 17 year-old Natalie Turner, who called 911 asking for help.

Unpopular opinion here, but wow- that is eerie! So similar to what the cops found at Jayme's home. Could one of the parents have done this, and Jayme tried calling for help? Maybe she's so traumatized, she's too scared and hurt emotionally to come home.

I keep thinking about how Sheriff Fitzgerald believes she is alive and out there somewhere, but never goes far enough to say she was definitely kidnapped or abducted. JMO and not alluding that the victims did anything, just wondering if something similar could have happened, especially with so many facts not given and what little facts have been presented aren't in a clear manner.

Last edited by a moderator:

You beat me to it.

Maybe we need a thread for it for folks who are interested in digging deeper?

Unless I am wrong, the officers were dispatched to a “possible suicide attempt.”

I agree that upon arrival, the father’s body may have had head wounds indicative of a self inflicted gunshot.

I don’t think there was a gun near his body, as they fairly quickly came to the conclusion that this was not a murder/suicide.

Something told them that.
Right, they reported no guns were found at the scene. I don't think their initial assumption of suicide is significant in this case, since the coroner definitively declared it a homicide. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eppomoosha