AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question; can a 911 call log be altered? Particularly, the log requested by the public? I have NO REASON to suspect that. But I am curious. I've never considered that and I just wonder if something on a 911 call log was so sensitive and critical to an investigation and the FBI said absolutely NOT, do not release that. Would anyone have the authority to remove parts of that log before releasing it to the public? No I am NOT suggesting this hppend I just want to find out, period. Can it be redacted without tht being stated on the released 911 call log?

I was under the impression that basically as soon as a 911 call is received, that almost immediately police are sent to an address that comes up on screen right away. Maybe not as I thought?
There is protocal for each type of call that comes in to a 911 center. Dispatchers are trained to asked certain specific questions (if possible) to obtain as much information as possible prior to sending responders into any given situation. In a situation such as 911 hang up call, the dispatcher will listen carefully to attempt to pick up any clues as to what is going on. Then they will attempt to recontact with the number that called. Usually at that point, units are dispatched to the location the call came from. The dispatcher may have the technical capability to replay the 911 call to see if they can pick up any additional clues upon listening to the call again. If the 911 center is not busy with other 911 calls, a good dispatcher will be doing background work for the officers. That nay include seeing who lives at that residence, finding out if there had been other calls for service there, seeing if there were guns registered, etc. This is based on my own experienced in 30 years of 911 public safety telecommunications; 15 years on the radio, and 15 years in management. I am now retired and although I wouldn't change a moment of my career, there are lifelong repercussions from things I will never un-hear.

I am sure they do. But it is unpredictable and dangerous. How far does anyone go?
I couldn't really answer how far as it would depend on boat type and size and hopefully people have the right amount of experience. People go thousands and thousands of miles in the ocean. Maybe it seems odd to people who aren't acquainted with boating the great lakes? Had to talk to my spouse as he is the "Captain" of our boat but was told Lake Erie is more dangerous then any Great Lake because it is the most shallow therefore the least predictable due to wind changes etc.. People make these trips all the time. There are some pretty hi-tech weather and wave apps that help but that said weather and wave size can change in a seconds notice. OUr mistake (actually my spouses) was he didn't completely fill the gas tank as people an hour ahead of us said the lake was like glass. Lesson learned on his part as the weather did change and the waves were beating us down. My point is that it is possible to enter Canada from anywhere. I don't necessarily believe this is what happened but with little known facts I can't rule it out.

I think what is means is there is some thought they couldn’t have gone too far, and even with 2000 volunteers searching the fields and woods, the volunteers may have missed something. I think it is smart that decision was made. It may not work out in finding Jayme, but, at the same time, it covers every evidentiality.

They still may miss something from the helicopter, and hope the mention of the ground search being stopped, doesn’t mean the grounds around the home aren’t looked at by more on foot as the trees clear going forward.[/
There is protocal for each type of call that comes in to a 911 center. Dispatchers are trained to asked certain specific questions (if possible) to obtain as much information as possible prior to sending responders into any given situation. In a situation such as 911 hang up call, the dispatcher will listen carefully to attempt to pick up any clues as to what is going on. Then they will attempt to recontact with the number that called. Usually at that point, units are dispatched to the location the call came from. The dispatcher may have the technical capability to replay the 911 call to see if they can pick up any additional clues upon listening to the call again. If the 911 center is not busy with other 911 calls, a good dispatcher will be doing background work for the officers. That nay include seeing who lives at that residence, finding out if there had been other calls for service there, seeing if there were guns registered, etc. This is based on my own experienced in 30 years of 911 public safety telecommunications; 15 years on the radio, and 15 years in management. I am now retired and although I wouldn't change a moment of my career, there are lifelong repercussions from things I will never un-hear.

Yes, I can't imagine the aftermath of hearing some of the things you heard! Thanks for the further explanation. So it isn't an automatic thing re. police being sent immediately! I would hope if a person called and said please come asap that there wouldn't be too much delay though. :)

I have a question; can a 911 call log be altered? Particularly, the log requested by the public? I have NO REASON to suspect that. But I am curious. I've never considered that and I just wonder if something on a 911 call log was so sensitive and critical to an investigation and the FBI said absolutely NOT, do not release that. Would anyone have the authority to remove parts of that log before releasing it to the public? No I am NOT suggesting this hppend I just want to find out, period. Can it be redacted without tht being stated on the released 911 call log?
Redacted, yes. Removed, changed, altered, NO. Updated, yes. For instance when this call was initially listed as a 911 hang up, then updated to a possible suicide, then to a homicide, those were changes/updates. But those are natural progressions with this type of call. A CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch) system logs anything that is put into it, and does not allow for information to be removed once it is entered. And it would be a huge problem for any dispatch personnel to attempt to alter information as well.

Yes, I can't imagine the aftermath of hearing some of the things you heard! Thanks for the further explanation. So it isn't an automatic thing re. police being sent immediately! I would hope if a person called and said please come asap that there wouldn't be too much delay though. :)
Not at all. The entire goal is to get help where it is needed as quickly as possible. However dispatch personnel also have an obligation to find out what they are sending their responders into. It's a dangerous world out there as you well know.

Just caught up. Interesting discussions today. So sad that Jayme is still not found. So hope she is alive and well. I will be in a National Park for the next 2 weeks and will have spotty internet so I will miss everyone and all your brilliant sleuthing. I will be able to check news periodically to see if there is anything new. I know there will be a place set for Jayme at her aunts house for Thanksgiving......How thankful would we all be for her to be there to enjoy it.

Just caught up. Interesting discussions today. So sad that Jayme is still not found. So hope she is alive and well. I will be in a National Park for the next 2 weeks and will have spotty internet so I will miss everyone and all your brilliant sleuthing. I will be able to check news periodically to see if there is anything new. I know there will be a place set for Jayme at her aunts house for Thanksgiving......How thankful would we all be for her to be there to enjoy it.
Yes, indeed re. Jayme being found. Stay unlost in the park! ;)

Last edited:
I lived on the shores of Lake Superior one summer, My hubby went out in my dad’s Lake Superior fishing boat made esp for Lake Superior. I watched the storm roll in within minutes.The fog was thick. It had been a lovely day.

He and his buddies were terrified. One put on two lifejackets. They had no idea if they were in the shipping lanes.

They survived. We all learned the power and unpredictablity of the Lake. Him more than I because I was on land.

Lake Superior does not give up her dead.
The weather can change in an instant on any Great Lake or ocean. It happened to us. We had the highest tech GPS, weather toy you could buy. In our case it would have helped if my spouse hadn't been so cheap and actually filled the gas tank. Fighting the waves wats gas like crazy. When we finally reached Canada I literally knelt on my bruised knees and kissed the ground. Land never felt so god!

I know people have mentioned Denise's FB and Jayme's Pinterest accounts. Has anyone looked into whether Jayme had an Instagram account? I know these days kids use Instagram and Snapchat quite a bit. It was briefly mentioned in an earlier thread and someone said there is an account out there but it is fake? Anyone have any info on this?Is it fake or real ?

Anything can be altered.

I think @BB71 brings up a really good question though. Do you know for a fact that their system doesn't use google maps? Reading the dispatch log, the dispatcher only gives an address but doesn't say it's the Closs' residence.

i don't understand this whole line of discussion whenever i put the address in google maps i get the exact right place.

The 911 was not altered. And it did not include any info that pointed to perp or would harm the investigation if known. LE has only said so seventeen times.

Also, the lack of a suspect pretty much shows there was no vital info on there. All they learned was that it came from Denise’s phone.

Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member