AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
according to andreww - scanners don't quite work that way anymore...I know utterly nothing about scanners

I do find it odd that 17/18 year old girls would be tuning their scanner at 2am on a Monday & deciding to drive miles away to cruise by the scene..... (now, if they were boys and lived nearby: maybe...not to sound sexist but I've never known a teen gal into scanners, lol, maybe now they'll come out of the woodwork to comment ;) )

I believe they are starting to actually be able to link DNA along family trees. So even if they do not have an exact DNA sample of a perp they may have genealogical DNA that leads them on the right path. Not positive about this but I think I can remember something like this being used by LE recently.

You're 100% correct. It was how they found the Golden State Killer.

ETA: That article may even be a little old; seems like they've caught a lot more with it since.

PSA: Be careful with sharing your private info and DNA, folks.

As someone that used to have a scanner, I can tell you that technology has greatly changed and you cannot just tune in to police broadcasts. Those days are long gone.

Well, you can, you don't even need to have a scanner - you can listen via the internet. Certainly not everything (some things are encrypted) but some things:
New Live Scanner Audio Feeds on RadioReference.com

Last edited:
Jmo, it seems likely that the killer did not leave DNA. But at this point, LE will have collected samples from all over the house and narrow down as much as possible, matching to the three Closs family members, then relatives and friends known to spend a lot of time there, hence the taking DNA for elimination purposes. And see what they have left, if any, which could belong to random mail carriers, repairmen, etc...a crime scene inside a house must be a DNA nightmare.

It is possible the perp touched nothing other than the gun he came in with, presumably, and Jayme as he took her. In fact, it is difficult to see what else he may have touched or left DNA on.

Jmo

Nobody is testing DNA from live family members unless LE thinks they might have DNA from a suspect. Maybe mom has some under her nails or there are blood drops not near a body, or a semen stain on a mattress- who knows.

according to andreww - scanners don't quite work that way anymore...I know utterly nothing about scanners

I do find it odd that 17/18 year old girls would be tuning their scanner at 2am on a Monday & deciding to drive miles away to cruise by the scene..... (now, if they were boys and lived nearby: maybe...not to sound sexist but I've never known a teen gal into scanners, lol, maybe now they'll come out of the woodwork to comment ;) )
Some people have pointed out that some small towns continue to use the old analogue technology, so I don't know. All I know is that mine hasn't worked in well over a decade. You'd think that this upgrade would have been the first thing that any police department would do, but apparently not.

It's possible, but really she's 13 with no job. I don't see her being able to keep even a cheap phone running for long.

I agree, I don’t think she had one — just wondering if maybe that’s why police brought in the equipment to check for other electronic devices. Or maybe police just wanted to rule out the drug angle quickly, if they had been looking for burner phones?

This is exactly why the Sheriff needs to clarify how many voices were there, exactly what is heard, etc. Or just release the call. There's too much conflicting information out. I posted earlier where he said he didn't know if she had her phone with her and then it came out that they've had her phone.

When folks people get confused or don't understand a situation, they give up and move on to something else. I fear that's happening here. Public interest is waning and the news is rolling forward. It's very apparent this case has grown cold and I wish something could keep it going.
I agree- they should release it no matter what is on that call. There are some people out there that can resolve things in a noisy recording that other people cannot. The goal here is to find a little girl, not to protect a potential criminal indictment

It doesn't seem like they deal with their neighbors too much since the ones who spoke said they didn't realize Jayme even existed.

You don't have to interact with neighbors to know OF the neighbors. Trust me. We have meth-head, *advertiser censored* fighting neighbors several houses down the road from us, and all of the "normal neighbors" are well aware of them, although we avoid them like the plague. After their trailer caught fire last Christmas, one of the teenage boys actually knocked on my door and asked to borrow 5 dollars for gas. We do NOT know each other personally but they still had the gall to knock on my door and ask for money.

ETA: And before anyone asks, no I didn't give him $5. What I did give him was a lecture about the dangers of showing up on my property unannounced.

ETA: That article may even be a little old; seems like they've caught a lot more with it since.

You don’t have to do a thing. Your relative can do it. Voila! There you are whether you want to be or not

http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/barron+county+call+log.pdf

This might help. It raised a few more questions for me...jmo!

Reading this log, it looks like the 911 call from the Closs house came in at 00:53. Police arrived on scene 7 min later at 1:00. Earlier reports say the 911 call was less than 1 min long and then it ended. Giving time for person in the Closs house to realize a call had been made, end call, throw/kick phone away and then leave the house with Jayme in tow, it’s possible police may have passed them on the road while en route. Would dash cams have been reviewed for passing vehicles?

I am blocked from seeing it in my country. What have they done to get arrested? Are they new ones or convicted previously?

They don't appear to be new but here's what they've done:
  • 2nd D Sex Con/Intc-W/O Con-Asslt-Use /Thrt Force
  • Battery-Cause Harm To Another-W/Intent
  • Sex Offender - Fail/Update Information
  • Expose Minors To Harmful Material
  • Probation Violation
  • Sex-2nd Degree-Child Under 16 Yoa
  • Bail Jumping-Charge Is A Felony
  • Sex-Child Enticement/Sexual Contact/Intercourse
  • Use Computer/Facilitate Sex Crime
  • Fail/Provide Sex Offender Information

Reading this log, it looks like the 911 call from the Closs house came in at 00:53. Police arrived on scene 7 min later at 1:00. Earlier reports say the 911 call was less than 1 min long and then it ended. Giving time for person in the Closs house to realize a call had been made, end call, throw/kick phone away and then leave the house with Jayme in tow, it’s possible police may have passed them on the road while en route. Would dash cams have been reviewed for passing vehicles?

According to Fitzgerald, responding officers reported that they passed no vehicles in route to the home.

Its actually already too late- there are already enough people in geneological databases that (it is estimated) you could identify anybody not in a database from a DNA sample + a little sleuthing of other public records.

They don't appear to be new but here's what they've done:
  • 2nd D Sex Con/Intc-W/O Con-Asslt-Use /Thrt Force
  • Battery-Cause Harm To Another-W/Intent
  • Sex Offender - Fail/Update Information
  • Expose Minors To Harmful Material
  • Probation Violation
  • Bail Jumping-Charge Is A Felony
  • Fail/Provide Sex Offender Information
They sound like new charges?

I'm not a criminal but if I was, it seems like a blessing (for once) to come from a very large family with a lot of odd dynamics and poorly-documented adoptions. :p It's a nightmare for medical history but seems like it'll serve me well if I turn to a life of crime.

(I kid, I'm pretty docile and I can barely stab a straw through a juice box).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacobasal