AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Training is no substitute for the real thing. It teaches you tactics, and how to react, but you don’t feel the same emotions as you do in real life.

These guys have seen fatalities from car accidents and suicides, but a bloody murder scene would still be seen as “horrific” in their eyes.
A single shot to the head from a 12 gauge at close range will result in a scene that even a hardened vet will describe as horrific. I’m not going to describe it here, but I’ve seen it (suicide by shotgun) and it is indeed horrific.

I don’t know that we will be able to determine the weapon used without more information from LE or the medical examiner. I have fired a large caliber handgun that sounded like a cannon and would make for a gruesome crime scene. It’s just difficult to tell based on the scant information from LE and the possibly traumatized earwitness neighbors. Clearly jmo

A single shot to the head from a 12 gauge at close range will result in a scene that even a hardened vet will describe as horrific. I’m not going to describe it here, but I’ve seen it (suicide by shotgun) and it is indeed horrific.
Unfortunately I have seen that too.
From personal and work-related experience.
It's really an explosion. And I haven't seen it confirmed to be a shotgun.
Chi

Could a dispute have started at Jennie-O and then followed James home? Have we ever gotten a confirmation on what time he left work? I am hoping that it was random (or even the wrong address) but it seems like an emotional attack. If Jayme was the end goal, that means one scenario but if it was anything else it is hard to understand why she was even taken.

Did he drive straight home after work? Did he stop at a gas station, ATM, or convenience store? Could there have been a road rage type incident on his way home?

Wild speculation I know but just trying to think of possible scenarios in a case where nothing makes sense.

You're right. The killer didn't hang around the house for nearly half and hour after shooting the mom and dad with a "big gun" which he or she knew the neighbors could hear. Mom made a heroic effort and somehow got to her cellphone. The yelling heard in the background was mom's respiratory stridor (high pitched wheezing sound made when there is an obstruction in a person's airway--blood and vomit can be an obstruction in the airway).
If there was blood or vomit in the airway, it would sound like choking.
A stridor would sound like whistling

What of those were just warning shots as he/they entered? To immediately gain control and the rest were inside?
Moo
Assuming the assailant drove to the house, parked in the driveway and approached the front door (which is really the only scenario I can envision), it’s likely the father heard a car pull in and met him at the door.

LE did not specify a single weapon. Handgun shots fired within the house would leave “bullet casings” and likely not be heard by the neighbors.
Have you ever stood next to someone shooting a .45 at the range? The boom is so loud that even with my ears on, I always jump. A .45 caliber going off inside the Closs home would be heard by the neighbors.

Thank you, Gardener. I know these threads have been moving past and it's easy to miss things, but I would think that is something that someone would be able to link by now.

So, we don't know any of these things, right?
  • Dad's work hours for that Sunday or any other day.
  • Dad's job position and/or department at Jennie-O.
  • Time that mom and Jayme returned from the family gathering.
MOO

I'm several pages behind, but that matches my notes ;)

Some other things we don't know:
Did the family keep any guns in the house?
Mom also worked at Jennie-O and we don't know her position.
What was their Monday schedule was supposed to be?
If the 911 call had not happened, when would the parents have been found?
What were their phone communications with each other and other people that night?
Did they text or call anyone after the party? Post photos from the party on social media?
Or was it radio silence from the time they got home?

This, while a bit gruesome, is the only scenario that makes sense to me -- not saying I'm right. I think Jayme was gone with whoever right after those gunshots. I think that 911 call was a last-ditch effort on a parents part.

I don't think the killer would wait around the house twenty minutes after shooting them. And I don't think someone can completely disappear in the four minutes between the call and the police.

This is such a crazy story .
The problem I’ve got with that scenario is that the vague descriptions of the 911 call lead me to believe there were people alive at that point. I can’t envision one dying parent making that call, disconnecting, then dying in the next four minutes. Much less both parents. I’m thinking one or both parents was dead long before that call.

You're right. The killer didn't hang around the house for nearly half and hour after shooting the mom and dad with a "big gun" which he or she knew the neighbors could hear. Mom made a heroic effort and somehow got to her cellphone. The yelling heard in the background wasn't yelling. It was mom's respiratory stridor (high pitched wheezing sound made when there is an obstruction in a person's airway--blood and vomit can be an obstruction in the airway).

Just my opinion but I think LE would be able to differentiate between yelling in the background and stridor.

I am sure the 911 call has been thoroughly analyzed.

Seeing the timeline like this (thanks for making it) makes me lean more and more toward the perp being in the house before the dad got home from work.

jmopinion at the moment, subject to change

I am leaning towards this theory as well. It just makes the most sense, IMO, at this point. I have especially been thinking about the day of the event, and what may have led up to it.

Here are some of the questions I have regarding this potential theory (and please note I am NOT suggesting the involvement of anyone in particular- just thinking out loud):
Did any of the family members bring along a guest to the family gathering that showed an (unusual) interest in Jayme? If someone unknown to the Closs family attended, was it mentioned to them that Mr. Closs would be working late? Have there been any reports that someone who attended the family gathering came home with (or followed) Jayme and her mother to their place for an extended visit? Did anyone attending the gathering live out of state? Were there any ongoing family feuds (maybe with an ex spouse/partner of family member who attended)? Did the Closs family have an ongoing dispute with one of their neighbors (perhaps voiced concern for suspicious activity in their neighborhood to someone, or made a report to LE)? Did Mr. Closs need to reprimand or terminate an employee during his shift- did this person potentially make threats against him or his family as a result?

Not sold on any given reason I suspect someone may have been in the home before Mr. Closs arrived from work. However; anyone who knew his work schedule would have recognized the vulnerability of Jayme and her mother without him there. JMO

It was released that the 911 operator tried to return a call to the phone that made the 911 call. This call was sent to voicemail and that voicemail belonged to Denise Closs.

Wow thanks GG.
(All you Gs....gardener, gitana, gunslinging granny...)

Eta:
Yo Gs. Where’s Jayme at?

ETA: so jumping off this, any Gangs (with a G) in Wisconsin? Just wondering. Every case I study and learn from geographically. Never heard of Barron before.

Last edited:
Have you ever stood next to someone shooting a .45 at the range? The boom is so loud that even with my ears on, I always jump. A .45 caliber going off inside the Closs home would be heard by the neighbors.
I doubt it. Doors and windows closed, 200 yards between the houses with trees obstructing? And besides, who carries a 45 anymore? That alone would say a lot about their assailant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rsteen