Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tortoise, That sounds right. I wasn't paying too close of attention to the language (great passion to have, btw!), and I still observed that at least 2 of the accounts were probably the same person. It's clearly someone in the courtroom or aware of the courtroom proceedings, as they harp on "the missing two pages," etc.<modsnip>

One of the Twitter accounts retweets Sheriff Gore so that tells me everything I need to know. The testimony so far should be silencing them from their venom - but it isn&#8217;t. Sad.

One of the Twitter accounts retweets Sheriff Gore so that tells me everything I need to know. The testimony so far should be silencing them from their venom - but it isn’t. Sad.
They are still working on pushing their spin, for people who aren't aware..I guess. I'd take them to task, yet they seem to have no real audience, so it's not worth giving them attention. The unrelenting venom is definitely very sad.

I don't have a link, Tortoise, so can take it as hearsay. It was one song being played over and over: "This is the End" by the Doors. Remember the white candle that was under the round wooden table in the courtyard along side Rebecca's discarted body that obviously was not taken into evidence and checked for finger prints? IMO the murderer(s) used the candle light to be able to see what was being done in the dark of night without the neighbors seeing...

Wow! I never heard it was just one song or that the song was identified. If true, how CREEPY. I am of the mind the music would cover up noises of activity in the house, I doubt it covered screams, etc. I feel she was gagged after the first scream. If AS went about doing whatever to Rebecca with that song playing over & over... uggghh...sounds like just another way to terrorize her. Wow.

BBM

I've been observing the habits (language is a passion of mine!) and IMO it is one bitter person with multiple twitter accounts.

I am interested in seeing these messages. Can anyone tell me who to look for?

I am interested in seeing these messages. Can anyone tell me who to look for?

Just go to twitter and type in Rebecca Zahau. You will be able to click on &#8216;top posts&#8217; as well as &#8216;latest posts&#8217;. They are all there. They seem seem like little islands of turds floating in large lake.

Not only WHAT was PP doing there, but WHY and HOW he got behind the crime scene tape!

Snip - BBM

Curiously, prominent San Diego defense attorney and former district attorney Paul Pfingst showed up at the mansion twice, once on Tuesday after Nalepa was discovered and again on July 18. During his second visit, Pfingst refused to identify a client but told reporters that he was not representing Jonah Shacknai.

If I understand it correctly, this is a case where a defense attorney was at the crime scene before the Medical Examiner was -- perhaps waaay before. Is that true? Because that truly stinks. Do we know what time he showed up the first time?

Snipped from Lash's comment #1076:
"In the case of the underwear, it was determined through investigators that Jonah Shacknai's daughter, Gabby, and her girlfriends had stayed in the guest house up to a week before," Gore said."

I would bet Mr. Shacknai employed a house cleaner...wonder if that person was asked about when was the guest house last cleaned? Seems likely the guest house would be cleaned IN-BETWEEN guests, no?

"In the case of the underwear, it was determined through investigators that Jonah Shacknai's daughter, Gabby, and her girlfriends had stayed in the guest house up to a week before," Gore said."

I would bet Mr. Shacknai employed a house cleaner...wonder if that person was asked about when was the guest house last cleaned? Seems likely the guest house would be cleaned IN-BETWEEN guests, no?
The cleaning ladies showed up bright and early on Monday mornings.........JS wanted the mess from the weekend cleaned up!

...it was dumbfounding that they did not try to retrieve the messages, especially with the pre-knowledge that there was a time limit involved...dumbfounding.

It indicates there was deliberate intent on part of law enforcement to purposefully destroy crucial evidence in the Zahau case.

Why else would they not have fingerprinted Rebecca's cellphone OR retrieve crucial voicemail from AT&T knowing full well the expiration to retrieve VM was 30 days?

If a voicemail left by Jonah, one of the last people to see Rebecca alive claimed he left a suicide trigger voicemail for her on her phone, why would LE not quickly fingerprint the cellphone to make sure it was indeed Rebecca who last used the phone to retrieve the voicemail and not someone else, hint - the Murderer?

LE purposefully allowed easily retrievable voicemail evidence to get erased and permanently destroyed and also instead of first fingerprinting the cellphone to identify who the last person to use Rebecca's phone was, they ordered their own LE to play around "new phone" so new they couldn't get it to work and hence, mess with and dirty up the prints on the phone so that no DNA/prints would then be identifiable, but yet couldn't be bothered to find the time to simply call AT&T to retrieve the voicemail from their database even though they knew erasure by AT&T of voicemails had expiration of 30 days.

So basically we are to believe that they had all 50 LE on the one cellphone trying to open her tiny new cellphone and none of the other 49 LE could take a 15-30 minute break to make a simple phonemail to AT&T to obtain the voicemail despite everyone knowing within 30 days voicemails will be wiped out of AT&T database?

HOGWASH.

<modsnip>

If I understand it correctly, this is a case where a defense attorney was at the crime scene before the Medical Examiner was -- perhaps waaay before. Is that true? Because that truly stinks. Do we know what time he showed up the first time?
IIRC, he showed up at about 7 PM, but I don't have a source. Multiple sources indicate he arrived, "that evening."
As for the ME, Tsuida's police report says, "At about 1918 hours, Dr. Lucas and Investigator D. Gary from the Medical Examiner's Office arrived on scene."

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pfingst.jpg
    Pfingst.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 257
IIRC, he showed up at about 7 PM, but I don't have a source. Multiple sources indicate he arrived, "that evening."
As for the ME, Tsuida's police report says, "At about 1918 hours, Dr. Lucas and Investigator D. Gary from the Medical Examiner's Office arrived on scene."

OK. So, close to the same time. Still outrageous, but I thought PP was earlier in the day. Still smells to high heaven.

From the literature

PubMed article abstract

Simulated suicide by hanging after homicidal strangulation

[Article was in German]

Abstract

Homicides by hanging and the simulation of suicide by hanging a victim previously killed or made unable to resist by other means are regarded as extremely rare events, although especially in German forensic literature cases of this kind were repeatedly reported.<modsnip>

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9757351

***I recall RZ face was also reported as congested at autopsy, note also horizontal rope &#8216;burns&#8217; to the left shoulder as testified by Dr C W, and 4 seoerate SG H / head injuries ***( note also the &#8216;running noose specificity)

Thanks Inparadise. Can you shed some light on approximately when he first arrived and how long he stayed at the scene?

IIRC, it was around 9 am or so. Not sure how long he was there.

<modsnip>

I don't understand how the defense can deny that Jonah and his minion Paul Pfingst the very first defense attorney for Adam did not sway the investigators to rule Rebecca's death a suicide when PP was there first thing in the morning before the ME and he was allowed to step in and out of crime scene areas, contaminating the scene and potentially destroying/planting critical evidence.

Also, IIRC, there was also a pic of a female who resembled the mother of Max at the crime scene, entering Spreckels mansion door with similar looking male detective at the front door who had his arm around PP in Cynic's pic above.

Two Shacknais/representatives at crime scene -<modsnip>

I hope that the VOTERS of San Diego remember all of this in November, when Gore is seeking reelection and VOTE HIM OUT!

I hope so, too, for your sake. All cities have their problems, but the behavior of the SDSO is beyond the pale.

I have had this exact thought for a long time. Thank you!

Hi K_Z

I was in court all day today. (Please help by correcting my spelling re the medical terminology as your so brilliant at it!) anyhoo, here’s my feedback for you...

I’ve looked at photos in the news link posted and the comments, and I have to say, in my laymen’s opinion, they give a poor representation of Cyril Wecht’s testimony.

I would summarize as follows - Mr Greer was very concise, in fact I was surprised how short his questioning was to be honest, around an hour and a half in total I recall. A considerable amount of time was spent on Dr. Wecht detailing his experience. I can see why. His experience was extraordinary, and impressive. His credentials were quite, well, astounding. Tens of thousands of autopsies in an incredible 60 plus year career. In summary he wrote the book on legal, forensic pathology. No, literally...he wrote it.

Dr. Wecht came across as super professional, with great integrity, and a man who appeared not to suffer fools gladly ( an understatement). He completed or assisted in over 500 autopsies last year alone. Although advanced in years, and sometimes perhaps ‘a little long winded’ in his replies, he was razor sharp on topic, and obviously knew his subject inside and out ( if you pardon the pun)

Mr Greer’s questioning was concise, and focused on a few key areas, primarily the 4 SG hemorrhages between the skull and scalp, ( injuries that Dr W stated were IHO due to blunt force trauma, RZ being struck about the head ), also the very deep bruising found in the ribs cartledge ( DR W suggested that this could have been caused by the pressure of an assailants knee) on the right lower side / back, and finally the throat injuries - primarily the croicoid fracture ( being the area below your Adam’s apple) the damage being caused IHO by manual strangulation before the hanging.

At the end of mr Greer’s questioning, I felt it was very powerful testimony. This gentleman’s experience was so impressive, he was so convincing, The final statement into testimony was from Dr W was that he was convinced by his experience, the autopsy, and his lengthy detailed research ...that RZ was manually strangled and there was a hanging to cover it up.

It was short, sharp, and shocking.

There was a ten minute break and I thought, wow, how on earth do you come back and follow that?

Well, the defense attorney began by focusing almost two hours of questioning on the fact that the copy of the autopsy report Dr W had sent to the defense in March 2017 had a typo on the date ( 2016 instead of 2017) The typo was by Mr Greer’s office, but next to the date the ‘received’ stamp from Dr W’ s office with the correct date. Ok, if you were bored senseless by that sentence...imagine sitting through an hour plus explaining it.

Everyone was sort of looking at each other, bewildered, thinking...why? So what?

Moving on ...then to the fact that the title pages of 1 and 2 were missing from the documents of the second autopsy Dr W supplied. The doctor explained that it had been six years since he wrote the report, he had moved offices and they had destroyed 20,000 plus documents after the move of his offices, so this may explain why they could not locate the first two pages, and they also could not locate the photographs taken of the second autopsy.

Dr W explained everything he had was handed over and the body of the report had all his findings - anyhow, there was nothing to hide or be gained from withholding the two additional pages, he can answer any and all questions as the actual autopsy was fulling covered in the remaining 13 pages. He also explained he was not required to keep the documents, let alone for years and years. The defence went on to question where he looked, if he asked this person, that person, his secretary, his assistant...and on and on about who he asked and where he looked...

The defense spent literally hours and going over, and over, and over....and over, the fact there were two pages missing. Dr Wecht did get frustrated by the same question over and over again, and even the judge was getting frustrated.

The photo with Dr W with his head in his hands seen on the photo gallery was during this time I recall , it was literally like pulling teeth. I can only imagine what the jury was thinking.

IMO, overall Dr W left the defense attorney looking totally inadequate, and no one really knew what it was all about until Dr W finally had a bit of an outburst and said that there was no withholding of documents, or anything like it and it was personally defamatory and insulting for there to be any such suggestion.

Trying to discredit Cyril Wecht, wow, don’t go there would be my advice. It’s like trying to prove Mother Theresa didn’t like the poor.

The defense then went on to ask Dr W if Mr Greer shared the DNA evidence with him. Dr W said no, as he was a forensic pathologist and his area of expertise was not DNA. However, the defense continued to spend what felt like another several hours showing every knot, and highlighting ( again) where RZ’s DNA was found...on every knot., on every photo. Same question....same reply...

Each time Dr W explained he is not a DNA expert and did not know about where the DNA was or was not found and Mr Greer did not share the information with him and he is not a DNA expert, he is a forensic pathologist.

Dr W was also asked if he felt he should have consulted the Sheriff’s dept to discuss why they thought it was a suicide case, wouldn’t that have been ‘a good idea?’ ...and the reply from Dr W was that it would be totally unethical to do such a thing unless ordered by the court or as directed by Mr Greer, and he what would best be described as ‘chastised’ the defense attorney for not understanding the proper process! “ I don’t poke my nose in the investigations of others. It is ridiculous to suggest I should do so. This is real life, sir, what you suggest you may see in a television show, but not in the real world....” was a typical response.

At one point, the Defence attorney said words to the effect of ‘Am I not correct in saying that if I were to walk into that courtroom door, I could well get a subgaleal scalp hemorrhage such as one Rebecca had?’

To which Dr Wecht said ‘Yes, and you would need to be stupid to walk into it once, but very stupid to walk into it another three, separate times...’

Everyone giggled except the defence. A moment of levity in otherwise a very tense ( and sad) evidence day.

The only other significant medical evidence introduced by the defence in cross examination was an apparent rope burn to the lower left neck/ upper shoulder area of of the deep furrow on a photo shown in RZs throat.

The defence suggested this was caused by the rope starting lower on the throat and then slipping up the neck, causing the lower ( cricoid ) throat injury. Dr Weight said the mark was clearly a vertical injury, IHO it could not possibly have been the cause of the lower throat injury as the rope would need to be horizontal. He was firm, and (very persuasively) dismissive of the suggestion.

To close proceedings, it appeared to me ( my interpretation only) that a letter Dr Wecht had written to Ann Bremner regarding his thoughts on the case ( in 2011) had been disallowed into evidence due to an apparent, previous objection by the defense. At the very end of the day, Mr Greer attempted to have that brought into evidence to counter the defenses cross examination that Dr W had changed his opinion from his initial findings of ‘undetermined’ to ‘homicide’. They objected strongly, but the judge said that as the defence had spent several hours discussing and referring to the document that accompanied the ‘missing-pages’, it was only fair Mr Greer could introduce it.

Then there were more objections as Mr Greer wanted Dr W to read it aloud for the jury. The judge sided with the defense. However, Mr Greer asked for it to go up on the big screen, got his pointer stick...and he read it out aloud himself! Saying is that your opinion Dr Wecht? At the end of each paragraph.

It stated very clearly ( in summary) that Dr W felt that in 2011 after the second autopsy, RZ had been manually strangled and the hanging was likely staged to cover this up, and the investigation should be reopened.

The hours and hours trying to discredit Dr W, and what I saw as an implication of his testimony being changed to garner publicity and for Dr Phil...went straight. down. the. pan.

There was a lot between, but that’s the thrust of the day to the best of my recollection. Mr Greer in my opinion had a very, very successful day.

...And Dr Wecht is a very exceptional doctor.

Sorry this is long, hope it gives an insight into my opinion the day for you all.

EDITED to add

Re your question, the defence suggested it was unusual to have a second autopsy. Dr W said there was nothing ‘unusual’ about it. It was less common, but not unusual. He countered what I saw as an insinuation he was ‘in it for the publicity’ by reminding the defence that the family had requested the second autopsy and it was done at THEIR request and with their permission. How they chose to go about funding the retrieval and transport of their family members body, in this case by enlisting the help of Dr Phil, was not for him to comment or Judge. He did not charge anything for the second autopsy as he believed it would help the family and they wanted his opinion - as it was THEY who expressly gave permission and wanted it done via their attorney at that time.

Hi Lezah,
I was reading over your notes from Dr. Wecht’s testimony and I wanted to follow up on one point which I highlighted.
I thought it was ridiculous that the defense would suggest the very low neck abrasion could have been a starting point for the ligature. The autopsy report is clear that this abrasion followed the curvature of the trapezius muscle at the lower-right, back-half of the neck. The slope of this abrasion is downward and far more suggestive of some sort of vertical (toward the base of the neck) pressure.
There is nothing whatsoever in the autopsy report that suggests the ligature was ever at or below the level of the cricoid.
I would have loved to have been in court to hear Wecht dismiss this desperate attempt to explain the cricoid fracture.

I do understand the concern regarding the cricoid. It is exceedingly rare for it to fracture in a suicidal hanging scenario.
The following is from… Fracture of the Cricoid as a Potential Pointer to Homicide
A 6-Year Retrospective Study of Neck Structures Fractures in Hanging Victims
Anny Godin, BSc, Celia Kremer, MSc, and Anny Sauvageau, MD, MSc.

The cricoid cartilage was intact in all suicidal and accidental hangings in the present study. This is in keeping with the literature: only one case of cricoid fracture can be found in suicidal or accidental hangings in the English literature. This represents only one case of cricoid cartilage in over 2700 cases. Unfortunately, there are no further details on this alleged suicidal hanging with cricoid fracture.
…
Fracture of cricoid cartilage is therefore highly exceptional in suicidal hangings. In homicidal hanging on the other hand, I ease out of 4 presented with a cricoid fracture in this study. However, the small number of homicidal hanging renders the comparison difficult. To palliate this problem, homicidal no- hanging strangulation were used for the comparison: an incidence of cricoid fracture of 14% (7/52) was demonstrated. This incidence is in accordance with the literature: the incidence of cricoid’s fractures in homicidal strangulation varies between 5% and 20%.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Neck_trap injury.jpg
    Neck_trap injury.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 58
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online