Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooopps! Isn't that bizarre? The witness starts questioning those in the courtroom? Who does that? Oh man. <modsnip> Really? What's the deal there? What a strange character Adam is.

<modsnip> About those knots I'm sure they can get somebody that does dock and tugboat work that will contradict this. It can't be true what he said.

Hmmm.....according to these sites the clove hitch is pretty much a required knot to be a tugboat captain. Looking into the massive experience and maritime education required to become a captain is pretty extensive.

http://tugboatsonline.com/deck/knots/makingknots.htm

https://careertrend.com/how-2107306-become-tugboat-captain.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...-to-knots-hitches-and-linehandling-techniques

I don&#8217;t know how any juror can believe him saying he doesn&#8217;t know these knots! It&#8217;s crazy for him to say and makes himself look like a liar.

Also, it blows my mind that he says that he doesn&#8217;t remember how far from the ground she was hanging from! And that he originally said to police that he loosened her hands and today says he didn&#8217;t&#8212;which is hard to believe because what&#8217;s the point of her tying her own hands together to prevent herself from stopping the &#8220;suicide&#8221; if her hands were so loose?!?! He had to have loosened them!

I haven't heard a full report from today, haven't been able to listen to the livestream or play back the hour or so posted on Chnl 8 website, but ... I really hope Greer calls/called Adam to task for what he said that morning versus now.

Yes, he said he had to move "something" away from her wrist, he wasn't sure if it was rope or what ... He also described himself as cutting her down, then calling 911, then quickly added ... "if not before!" So, that's two different stories about when the 911 call occurred. I certainly hope *that* is highlighted strongly for the jury!!!

I also wonder about the guest house -- earlier media reports said he "agreed" to stay in the guest house, as if he might have stayed in either main home or guest house, but it was decided at some point that he'd stay at the guest house. When was that discussed & the decision made? If he went directly to guest house after they parked, nobody had to let him in? Did Rebecca already have a key ready for him? Do they leave the guesthouse unlocked (seems weirder than leaving the main house, which you are accessing frequently, unlocked)? What was the condition of the guesthouse when he found it?

Anyway, certainly hope, at minimum, the contradictions were hammered on -- if not in the direct, then at least in the redirect.

Hmmm.....according to these sites the clove hitch is pretty much a required knot to be a tugboat captain. Looking into the massive experience and maritime education required to become a captain is pretty extensive.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...-to-knots-hitches-and-linehandling-techniques

I don’t know how any juror can believe him saying he doesn’t know these knots! It’s crazy for him to say and makes himself look like a liar.

Also, it blows my mind that he says that he doesn’t remember how far from the ground she was hanging from! And that he originally said to police that he loosened her hands and today says he didn’t—which is hard to believe because what’s the point of her tying her own hands together to prevent herself from stopping the “suicide” if her hands were so loose?!?! He had to have loosened them!
I haven't posted on this forum because everyone here has done a great job with inputs and I've had nothing to add.
I will say that the one thing that makes me think this wasn't a suicide is the binding of the legs. I can see someone doing that to their wrists so they couldn't back out of suicide ...but legs? Help me out here, I don't see how binding them could help one prevent themselves of getting free after they are hanging.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Hey Everyone,

Keith said he would give me a call and take some questions.

If you have any questions please post them here ASAP because I am not sure when he will call tonight.

Thanks,
Tricia

If anything, binding her legs would make it much more difficult For her to hurl herself over the balcony.

@Tricia: Where does he see holes in Adam's testimony?

Will the defense call JS?

@Tricia
What did he make of Adam's body language during testimony?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Has the trial been being telecast all this time or is today the first time? It seems "odd" that they couldn't go live during the prosecutions portion but suddenly get permission during the defense.

I don&#8217;t know how any juror can believe him saying he doesn&#8217;t know these knots! It&#8217;s crazy for him to say and makes himself look like a liar.

Also, it blows my mind that he says that he doesn&#8217;t remember how far from the ground she was hanging from! And that he originally said to police that he loosened her hands and today says he didn&#8217;t&#8212;which is hard to believe because what&#8217;s the point of her tying her own hands together to prevent herself from stopping the &#8220;suicide&#8221; if her hands were so loose?!?! He had to have loosened them!

Not only that, he's a tugboat captain on the Mississippi River. That means working with barges, etc. on a large dangerous river with swift currents that are constantly changing. It's very dangerous work and knowledge of knots are part of the skills needed.

To become a tugboat captain, AS would have probably started as a deckhand and would have to be expert at ropes and knot tying to advance up the ranks.

Did Greer, any investigator or LE interview AS employer or coworkers about AS knot tying knowledge?

For Keith:
--How much longer does he expect Adam to be on the stand?
--Will there be a redirect (if he can say...)
--Does he expect full defense case to be live-streamed, or just Adam's testimony?
--Does he know why they weren't live-streaming previously, but are now?

Also, send our warm thoughts to Rebecca's family. This must be grueling (although I know they are grateful to have this "day in court").

Question for mr. Greer

Did Adam say anything that surprise you or caught you off guard? Did you already know about his girlfriend?

While rewatching Greer question AS, I think it’s HUGE for the prosecution when Greer read AS original statement to LE saying he loosened the ropes around her hands to feel for pulse.....and then testified in court today that he didn’t loosen the rope. He said something like “that was my recollection then and this is my recollection now”. Which “recollection” are we supposed to believe?

One more for Mr. Greer,

It sounds like the Dr from Rady's hospital testified that the injuries on Max DID NOT match what they were being told happened. If correct, isn't that further motive for Rebecca to be questioned and murdered when she couldn't answer the questions?

Oooopps! Isn't that bizarre? The witness starts questioning those in the courtroom? Who does that? Oh man. And, wait...<modsnip> Really? What's the deal there? What a strange character Adam is.

Yes, Adam's always seemed quirky. At the same time he has a lot of self confidence bordering on arrogance. He has a very wealthy and powerful brother and though not wealthy on his own, he has shared in his brother's privileged lifestyle. So, he's always struck me as an entitled hick oddball. At first you want to be considerate towards him because he doesn't seem "all there", then heblurts out something to let you know he thinks he's better than most people. JMO.

Not sure since it was live-streamed today if anyone is interested in my take of today&#8217;s trial day (Monday) in addition to my snippet posted at lunch recess, but here are a few more thoughts:

After lunch, Shacknai attorneys presented a Motion for Non-Suit? to be introduced. The very matter-of-fact judge stated that previously she said no motions would be taken before the end of the trial. The judge then commented how thick the paperwork was but, at the end of the day, that she would find time to read it and believes she will address it at the lunch break tomorrow. I believe it attempts to dismiss the suit. Hopefully a routine step for a civil suit. Perhaps a lawyer could comment on it. Is that routine or desperation?

I mentioned in my earlier trial post that Adam seems well-rehearsed on some items but quirky on others. One of the well-rehearsed AND quirky moment I saw was when the defense went through his familial relationships and asked &#8220;Do you have any other brothers or sisters?&#8221;. Adam&#8217;s response was &#8220;Not to my knowledge&#8221;. Really? Very strange that he came up with that, IMO, is a rehearsed answer applied to a question that could have been flatly responded to. Strange guy.

Another off the record moment was the defense objected to Adam&#8217;s polygraph whereby the officer stated something to the effect how Adam would feel if this were not suicide. Adam had responded to the effect (in poly I think) that the offender should be treated harshly. None of this testimony was allowed to come out in the trial other than when Greer asked what should happen if someone had done this to Rebecca and Adam said he hadn&#8217;t thought it through that far. Then after he understood the question he had more thoughts about it he said as a backtrack I guess.

You probably saw where Greer questioned Adam about taking meds which he said he did not at the time of Rebecca&#8217;s death nor even today. Greer asked if his girlfriend (the nurse practitioner) had ever prescribed prescriptions for him and he said no. Greer showed where in fact she had but he had forgotten. I think.

Lots of time spent on 911 calls from both plaintiff and defendants counsel. Greer hammered on the fact of how he could have done CPR with her hands behind her back. As you know, Adam gave conflicting information on checking her pulse, too, without removing/loosening the ropes. My question is did he roll her over to do this?

Another strange Adam moment: &#8220;What are you doing with these tow boats?&#8221;. Answer: &#8220;I ask myself that all the time.&#8221; Really? Strange bird. He just pops off with things and I wonder if the jury then cuts him some slack or not.

The ridiculous award goes to the knot tying experience he denied. I can&#8217;t imagine the jury buying it that Rebecca, herself, would know these knots and that Adam didn&#8217;t. He stated that he probably learned the knots due to his exams and they included them as &#8220;maritime history&#8221; but denies that he ties them other than a half-hitch.

I will do after lunch in a bit&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;..

Question for Mr. Greer:
Is the underwear from the guest room still available for testing.
Thanks

Not sure since it was live-streamed today if anyone is interested in my take of today&#8217;s trial day (Monday) in addition to my snippet posted at lunch recess, but here are a few more thoughts:

After lunch, Shacknai attorneys presented a Motion for Non-Suit? to be introduced. The very matter-of-fact judge stated that previously she said no motions would be taken before the end of the trial. The judge then commented how thick the paperwork was but, at the end of the day, that she would find time to read it and believes she will address it at the lunch break tomorrow. I believe it attempts to dismiss the suit. Hopefully a routine step for a civil suit. Perhaps a lawyer could comment on it. Is that routine or desperation?

I mentioned in my earlier trial post that Adam seems well-rehearsed on some items but quirky on others. One of the well-rehearsed AND quirky moment I saw was when the defense went through his familial relationships and asked &#8220;Do you have any other brothers or sisters?&#8221;. Adam&#8217;s response was &#8220;Not to my knowledge&#8221;. Really? Very strange that he came up with that, IMO, is a rehearsed answer applied to a question that could have been flatly responded to. Strange guy.

Another off the record moment was the defense objected to Adam&#8217;s polygraph whereby the officer stated something to the effect how Adam would feel if this were not suicide. Adam had responded to the effect (in poly I think) that the offender should be treated harshly. None of this testimony was allowed to come out in the trial other than when Greer asked what should happen if someone had done this to Rebecca and Adam said he hadn&#8217;t thought it through that far. Then after he understood the question he had more thoughts about it he said as a backtrack I guess.

You probably saw where Greer questioned Adam about taking meds which he said he did not at the time of Rebecca&#8217;s death nor even today. Greer asked if his girlfriend (the nurse practitioner) had ever prescribed prescriptions for him and he said no. Greer showed where in fact she had but he had forgotten. I think.

Lots of time spent on 911 calls from both plaintiff and defendants counsel. Greer hammered on the fact of how he could have done CPR with her hands behind her back. As you know, Adam gave conflicting information on checking her pulse, too, without removing/loosening the ropes. My question is did he roll her over to do this?

Another strange Adam moment: &#8220;What are you doing with these tow boats?&#8221;. Answer: &#8220;I ask myself that all the time.&#8221; Really? Strange bird. He just pops off with things and I wonder if the jury then cuts him some slack or not.

The ridiculous award goes to the knot tying experience he denied. I can&#8217;t imagine the jury buying it that Rebecca, herself, would know these knots and that Adam didn&#8217;t. He stated that he probably learned the knots due to his exams and they included them as &#8220;maritime history&#8221; but denies that he ties them other than a half-hitch.

I will do after lunch in a bit&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;..

Thanks, that's a good summary! I've watched some of it (keep getting side tracked) and one thing that stood out to me is how many times he said "I don't recall" to really important questions. JMO he was coached on those. One example was Greer asking him about when he came out of the guest house and first saw Rebecca hanging there, how did she look? Which direction was she facing? He didn't recall. Questions about the t-shirt gag in her mouth and removing it - he didn't recall, until prompted when he suddenly recalled a little. A pattern that kind of repeated itself. They were important events most people would be unable to forget, yet he says he doesn't remember.

My unsolicited, unprofessional suggestion for Mr. Greer (hope he doesn't mind): If Adam's awkward, bumbling persona on the stand is eliciting some sympathy from the jury and others in the courtroom, find a way to ask him some questions that trigger the arrogant, entitled side of his personality. He definitely has that side, so see if you can find a way to bring it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist