GUILTY WV - Riley Crossman, 15, Martinsburg, Morgan County, 7 May 2019 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
February trial date selected in Andy McCauley case, change of venue study still in the works

September 3, 2020
MARTINSBURG — With the format and questions of a change of venue study still being fine tuned, a February trial date was scheduled Thursday afternoon in a case alleging a Berkeley Springs man murdered a local teen last May.
[.....]
Twenty-third Judicial Circuit Court Judge Debra McLaughlin, in May, granted the defense’s request for a media study to research whether to request a change of venue. The defense’s request for the study is due to their assertion that the “widespread media attention” of the case will keep their client from being able to impanel an impartial jury and from receiving a fair trial.

With the survey not yet finalized, the Oct. 6 trial date has been moved to begin on Feb. 2, and at this point, it is scheduled to occur in Morgan County. Judge McLaughlin is expected to rule on the questions being considered for the survey in the next 10 days.
[.....]
Once the survey is distributed to the residents of Morgan County and returned, the court will review the findings and determine whether McCauley would or would not be prejudiced by having the trial in Morgan County. She will then make a ruling on a change of venue motion.

If denied, parties will preceded to the Jan. 21 pretrial and the Feb. 2 trial. If granted, a “Plan B” will be decided.

Judge okays survey of jury pool by McCauley legal team

Sept. 30, 2020

Circuit Judge Debra McLaughlin has ordered that a survey of potential local jurors can go ahead as part of preparations for the murder trial of Andrew McCauley Jr. Judge McLaughlin filed the order on September 8.

In that order, the judge also approved court funding for the survey work, which is being done by Orion Strategies. That company had already done a media audit to determine how widely McCauley’s charges and associated case information had been reported. Orion researchers had told the court this particular case stood out as receiving “significant, widespread media publicity.”

In approving a direct survey of local people who might be called to hear the case against McCauley, Judge McLaughlin directed McCauley’s legal team to add an additional question.
[.....]
McCauley’s trial is set to begin on February 2, 2021.

I have his next pretrial hearing on 1/21/21.

Just my two cents on what you said above alexwood:
One can hope that a 10/6 trial will happen but realistically the trial will NEVER happen.

AM was dating and living with RC’s mom. RC’s mom, who is DD, is a magistrate judge for Morgan County. DD’s husband BG, who was Riley’s step grandfather is also the same person who sold AM the drugs sometime between 7pm on 5/7 and 3AM on 5/8, when all of the phone calls came through to Riley’s phone from AM). Riley’s grandma, DD (the magistrate judge) was the last person to see Riley alive according to MSM. In fact everything I have just summed up to you is in MSM. I will get you the articles for each statement.
I said all of that to say that it is IMVPHO that AM’s case will be pushed back multiple times and honestly may never actually happen.

As a side note, my husband was a plaintiff in a domestic abuse case that was swept under the rug in Morgan County because the guilty party defendant’s relatives who were (are) clerks and judges.
Morgan County is very tiny and they are an entirely different entity, an occult if you will (for lack of a better word). And if you’re not one of them then there is absolutely no hope to see justice. You might as well not even try.

IF AM does actually go to trial AND this said trial receives a fairness for ALL parties, not just extreme leniency for AM, it would be a true act by God. But do not hold your breath cause AM is only a small peg in this extremely corrupt dynamic.
Anyway, this is all MOO, and I will work on getting all of the MSM articles that support everything that I referenced.

You really hit the nail on the head with this post. This county, and Berkeley Springs in particular is insanely corrupt and biased and there is no unbiased govt. I absolutely believe that charges should have been brought against RCs mom for child neglect in some form, but given that her mom was in the govt, it would never happen. But we dealt with the family court and it was the most frustrating experience of my life, and even lawyers in different towns knew the uphill battle of going to court in BS.

Anyhow, I wanted to thank you for pointing out that court system in that area is something unto itself. I wanted to ask some clarification about the timeline. If the moms bf went to work, came back with the work truck to move RC body, wasn't the mom home at that point? I'm confused as to where the body was at that point and how the mom wouldn't have seen or at least been home when she being moved.

Not too sure IF this happening since I have no access to the court site - but I'll go ahead & post it. So if anyone reading here sees anything - please post! :)

Thursday, January 21st:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ am ET) - WV – Riley Grace Crossman (15) (reported missing May 8, 2019, Berkeley Springs; found May 16, 2019, near Tuscarora Pike in Berkeley County) - *Andrew (“Drew” or “Andy”) Jackson McCauley, Jr. (41/now 42) (mom’s BF) arrested & charged (5/16/19) & indicted (1/7/20) with 1st degree murder & concealment of a deceased human body. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Trial was set to begin on 5/5/20-cancelled due to COVID-19 rescheduled to 10/6/20 & continued to 2/2/21.
Court info from 5/16/19 thru 6/12/19 reference post #538 here:
Found Deceased - WV - Riley Crossman, 15, Martinsburg, Morgan County, 7 May 2019 *arrest*

1/7/20 Update: Grand jury indicted McCauley for murder & concealment of a deceased human body. He will be arraigned before a Morgan County Circuit Judge on 1/24/20.
1/24/20 Update: Plead not guilty. Defense files motion for change of venue. Trial has been set to begin on 5/5/20. 5/24/20 Update: No future hearing dates available, but new trial has been set for 10/6/20.
9/3/20 Update: A February trial date was scheduled Thursday afternoon in a case alleging a Berkeley Springs man murdered a local teen last May. Twenty-third Judicial Circuit Court Judge Debra McLaughlin, in May, granted the defense’s request for a media study to research whether to request a change of venue. The defense’s request for the study is due to their assertion that the “widespread media attention” of the case will keep their client from being able to impanel an impartial jury & from receiving a fair trial. With the survey not yet finalized, the Oct. 6 trial date has been moved to begin on Feb. 2, 2021, and at this point, it is scheduled to occur in Morgan County. Judge McLaughlin is expected to rule on the questions being considered for the survey in the next 10 days. If denied, parties will proceed to the Jan. 21 pretrial & the Feb. 2 trial. If granted, a “Plan B” will be decided.

Not too sure IF this happening since I have no access to the court site - but I'll go ahead & post it. So if anyone reading here sees anything - please post! :)

Thursday, January 21st:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ am ET) - WV – Riley Grace Crossman (15) (reported missing May 8, 2019, Berkeley Springs; found May 16, 2019, near Tuscarora Pike in Berkeley County) - *Andrew (“Drew” or “Andy”) Jackson McCauley, Jr. (41/now 42) (mom’s BF) arrested & charged (5/16/19) & indicted (1/7/20) with 1st degree murder & concealment of a deceased human body. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Trial was set to begin on 5/5/20-cancelled due to COVID-19 rescheduled to 10/6/20 & continued to 2/2/21.
Court info from 5/16/19 thru 6/12/19 reference post #538 here:
Found Deceased - WV - Riley Crossman, 15, Martinsburg, Morgan County, 7 May 2019 *arrest*

1/7/20 Update: Grand jury indicted McCauley for murder & concealment of a deceased human body. He will be arraigned before a Morgan County Circuit Judge on 1/24/20.
1/24/20 Update: Plead not guilty. Defense files motion for change of venue. Trial has been set to begin on 5/5/20. 5/24/20 Update: No future hearing dates available, but new trial has been set for 10/6/20.
9/3/20 Update: A February trial date was scheduled Thursday afternoon in a case alleging a Berkeley Springs man murdered a local teen last May. Twenty-third Judicial Circuit Court Judge Debra McLaughlin, in May, granted the defense’s request for a media study to research whether to request a change of venue. The defense’s request for the study is due to their assertion that the “widespread media attention” of the case will keep their client from being able to impanel an impartial jury & from receiving a fair trial. With the survey not yet finalized, the Oct. 6 trial date has been moved to begin on Feb. 2, 2021, and at this point, it is scheduled to occur in Morgan County. Judge McLaughlin is expected to rule on the questions being considered for the survey in the next 10 days. If denied, parties will proceed to the Jan. 21 pretrial & the Feb. 2 trial. If granted, a “Plan B” will be decided.
Speaking as a local, I didn’t know that AM ever went by the name of Drew. To my knowledge he has NEVER been called Drew, ever! Not growing up, not in high school, not in the drug world, not in Berkeley Springs/the surrounding areas/counties, etc...NOT anywhere in WV for that matter.
I know that he has that name on his FB, in parentheses but that’s a bunch of bull.
He has a brother named Andrew that goes by the name of Drew. It makes me wonder if AM updated his name to say “Drew“, sometime around May 2019, to throw people off because he knew it was going to be inevitable, that he would eventually be caught (sooner rather than later), and wanted to mislead people, and cause a whole bunch of ruckus (mainly for his other family). Methinks that’s exactly what he was trying to do. M00.
*Inserting an infinite amount of eye rolling*.

Speaking as a local, I didn’t know that AM ever went by the name of Drew. To my knowledge he has NEVER been called Drew, ever! Not growing up, not in high school, not in the drug world, not in Berkeley Springs/the surrounding areas/counties, etc...NOT anywhere in WV for that matter.
I know that he has that name on his FB, in parentheses but that’s a bunch of bull.
He has a brother named Andrew that goes by the name of Drew. It makes me wonder if AM updated his name to say “Drew“, sometime around May 2019, to throw people off because he knew it was going to be inevitable, that he would eventually be caught (sooner rather than later), and wanted to mislead people, and cause a whole bunch of ruckus (mainly for his other family). Methinks that’s exactly what he was trying to do. M00.
*Inserting an infinite amount of eye rolling*.

So good to have that local touch in cases we follow, @UnapologeticallyAspie -- many thanks for your ver-r-r-ry interesting remarks!
These small counties -- from what I have observed in MSM, from people who grew up in small counties, etc., there are several similarities -- everybody knows everybody; the skeletons in people's closets tell what goes on; there is church gossip; retail store gossip; drug store gossip; grocery store gossip; sidewalk gossip; social club gossip; bridge table gossip; etc., etc., etc.
If you're on the right side of the right folks, you're okay, but...

@UnapologeticallyAspie - thank you for that info - I have corrected my notes! :)

Any word on what might have happened at the hearing? Next court date maybe - locals??

TIA!
Postponed to April. However I have no MSM article/link to support this statement, so I’ll just say M00, as a local.
Also! JMO note that for all intents and purposes, AM will never go to trial. Like ever. But if this does come to pass, it will be a truly miraculous miracle.

@borndem was mostly correct about he/she said regarding growing up in small counties. But I personally feel that BS is exception. It is NOT AT ALL like any other small counties/towns that any given person has ever encountered and/or grew up in. Essentially it is it’s own entity, on a completely different plane, on a totally different planet, far far away from (the planet) earth. M00!

Me again @UnapologeticallyAspie - just wondering.... :) Maybe?

TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-002.gif

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1