Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #65

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO people are not required to display grief publicly

Oh, I completely agree. Which is even more why I wish they had responded immediately to the concerns of Gabby's family, showed compassion and tried to help in any way they could.

Their grief, if any, would have been private and just between the families.

Then this would be one more tragic case of a slaughtered woman, but not the global monstrous story it has become. And the public, us, who don't know them at all, would not be scrutinizing them.

Right, i guess i knew that........ but i did not know about the almost two years in NC... so just wondered how she got there, and was Brian in her perview at that time............
I'm glad it was brought up, I was confused, at first I said they were dating 6 years because I thought I read that somewhere, so I edited and wrote in caps KNOWN. I did not mean to be yelling ,should have written "edited" instead.

IMO, if there is L.I. for Gabby, it was probably held and paid-for by one or both parents/step-parents, etc.

I think she was getting by okay financially with her jobs, but she probably didn't have a lot of extra money. I would assume no life ins. unless her employer had one for his/her employees (doubtful, IMO) or she may have had a small one, also doubtful, IMO. And I'd bet a buck, if she did have her own policy, the beneficiary would definitely not be BL.
Also thinking, especially at her age, she did not yet have a will. If she did, I don't think BL was a beneficiary of anything she had. JMO
JMO but I'm guessing given my experience with many, folks that age aren't concerned about death so no will, no life insurance. Most people in my age range (50s) also have none but should. Not saying many don't. It just isn't something MOST people have. I doubt his modus operandi was to cash in a policy esp as we've seen 99.9% of the time that backfires on the perp! 110% sure that isn't the cause here. ;-)

I AM curious, though, that many here have said he didn't want her to work. Um, ok, so where was his 6-figure job to support them for life? Living expenses, 401K, retirement, medical...?

Hi! I have also had this same thought! I may be wrong, but i thought I had seen that when Gabby lived in NC, that BL was also in NC. I can't recall which thread or post. Maybe someone else remembers. Moo!

Someone did say that 3-4 days ago on WS but didn't provide a link. So, as far as I know, that's not been verified. But if GP moved to FL to live with BL, he had to have been around some when she worked in Wilmington and lived at Carolina Beach with a godparent.
JMO

DD said he had to go onto the internet to look up BL's name and picture.

While I suppose fugitives have been recognized by people who do not have a mental list of features to check for.

It is more likely and more common for people to memorize features - as many of you have done - and then be on the lookout.
I’ve been wanting to ask you a question today. I heard that if the Feds bring murder charges, they must convene a grand jury first to do that. And they knew the cause of death on October 5th, so maybe they are waiting on a grand jury. But today I saw they were looking for BL with a k9 that searches for cadavers.

If LE or FBI thinks BL killed himself, could that be why they haven’t charged him with murder? I hope I am making sense.

OK the HS graduation makes sense. It's 1260 miles from North Port FL to Long Island, so if that's near where her mother lives, that's a trip of 2-3 days.

I do wonder why she moved to NC and I believe she even lived briefly in SC, and I wonder where BL was during that time period. I'm surprised to see she apparently only lived with the Laundrie parents for about a year in FL.

JMO

From Miami to Northern New Jersey (two hours outside Long Island) is a 18 drive. I've done it many times and it can be done in one drive with a few rests.

Absolutely. Mexico does not want or need any American criminals. They will send him back just like they did Adam Curtis Williams and Amanda Noveer. They murdered an RV couple who were boondocking on Texas’ North Padre Island. They stole their truck and trailer, drove across Texas 250 miles and entered Mexico at the Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras crossing where border cameras got a pic.

Same with Cuba. Unless the criminals were charged back in the 1970's /

JMO but I'm guessing given my experience with many, folks that age aren't concerned about death so no will, no life insurance. Most people in my age range (50s) also have none but should. Not saying many don't. It just isn't something MOST people have. I doubt his modus operandi was to cash in a policy esp as we've seen 99.9% of the time that backfires on the perp! 110% sure that isn't the cause here. ;-)

I AM curious, though, that many here have said he didn't want her to work. Um, ok, so where was his 6-figure job to support them for life? Living expenses, 401K, retirement, medical...?
A lot of young people don’t plan for the future at all. So there’s that.

He left his parents' house before Gabby was found. But, after she was reported missing and after the Petito family started trying to call.

Sept 11. Gabby is registered as a missing person in Long Island. North Port LE are contacted and go to the Laundrie home.

Sept. 13. Date that BL apparently went missing himself, having previously been reported by the family as Sept. 14. Took the Mustang to the M. Creek parking lot.

Sept. 19. Gabby Petito's body is found at the same campsite where the van is captured on video by the Bethunes.

So did not wait until she was found and leave for parts unknown.

I think he knew she would be found and he did virtually nothing to hide her body - it was in an area with nice, paved pull-outs and creek access - someone was sure to find the body sooner rather than later. He had to have known that. This goes to his state of mind as he drove back to FL, while he was camping with his parents, and why he went missing when he did.

Has it ever been mentioned if someone saw him leave in the Mustang?

100% agree. This is just my opinion, but I cannot even fathom acting like that to parents that were worried sick about BOTH kids!! Then Gabby’s parents finding out that van was back in Florida & Brian was HOME!!! That’s a slap in the face, lunch to the gut, & IMO, the purest form of cruelty & lack of humanity I’ve ever seen. All JMO but just thinking about how Gabby’s parents felt in that moment gets me so heated.
Assuming BL's parents believe he is innocent, wouldn't they be horrified and devastated that someone murdered their future daughter-in-law and son's future wife?
Unless they don't believe he is innocent. IMO.

Meh. Maybe. I’m of the belief that the Laundrie’s simply didn’t like the Petito’s et al whatsoever. Maybe it was justified (like, say, mocking their son and who knows what else), maybe just a misanthropic bent. But, if that’s the case, I can see the figurative finger being front and center.
RBBM :)
I just wanted to clarify the bolded statements. Are you saying that you can see or understand why the Laundries acted the way they did to the Petitos just because BL was called a “girly” name by JP (& “who knows what else”) or maybe even it’s just simply a tendency of the Laundries to hate human kind? Respectfully…I just wanted to clarify what you’re saying.

I think it’s one thing if you just don’t like someone - justified or not. But just because I don’t like someone doesn’t mean that I want them to lose their kid. IMO, after everything that’s transpired so far…I think you’re dead on about the Laundries’ misanthropic bent.

ETA: fixed typo :)

Assuming BL's parents believe he is innocent, wouldn't they be horrified and devastated that someone murdered their future daughter-in-law and son's future wife?
Unless they don't believe he is innocent. IMO.
I agree. & I’ll step off my soap box for a minute about what they put the Petito family thru lol.
I feel like that whether they think BL is innocent or not, the way they’ve acted, the way BL acted, BL still being missing, & don’t get me started on that attorney…all those things aren’t doing BL a whole lot of favors. If he’s charged with anything related to Gabby’s death & he gets in front of a jury, I don’t think they will react favorably to what’s transpired. That’s all JMO tho.

SBM and bolded by me

MOO, Parents are definitely covering for him. One of the things CP has stated in some of his interviews is that he believes by telling this gruesome fantastical tales that enables and frees some of his readers to disclose their own ‘confessions’. Contrary to what a typical person might do, I think BL TOLD his parents about ‘accidentally’ strangling GP to death. As soon as the parents contacted their lawyer, I am sure they knew, MOO. I also believe, MOO, is the s’mores family get together was a final memory making moment. Unbeknownst to Cassie and her family, it was planned to be the last time they would see Uncle Brian for awhile.

ok, last one. MOO. He’s not hiding out in the swamp, no way. It is not his skill set.

This is an extremely insightful post. It all seems so plausible.

Id like to expand a bit on the part I highlighted above, the camping trip being a last goodbye of sorts. MOO is that it was also a planning session.
A “how do we buy time while our son disappears” with s’mores.

I believe you are correct that parents aided him. They may used this time camping to plot his getaway destination and also create a believable diversion/appearance that he vanished into the swamp, leading LE on a wild goose chase which continues today. The entire Mustang story has never made sense to me

People have been on the run for longer but I don't ever remember feeling this aggravated about it.
Really, really need a break in this case very soon.
The cause of death verdict did nothing to further the search.

There's a Bible verse, I think in the Book of Proverbs, that says:

“Hope deferred makes the heart sick.”

I feel the same as you do, every day when I wake up and check the news, I’m crushed that he hasn’t been found. Dead or alive.

For some reason this case really has gotten to me. The one killer that had more of an impact on me was the Son of Sam serial killer. He was in my neighborhood, killing girls like me. I was 20 then, long brown hair and did kiss my fiancé in the car at night, which was his primary target. The last girl he killed was an acquaintance of mine.

This case had nothing to do with my neck of the woods and I’m not in peril from Brian. I guess just being a mother and grandmother, all missing children and adult children cause me pain, but this causes such frustration. Especially because of Brian’s actions and then his disappearance.

100% agree. This is just my opinion, but I cannot even fathom acting like that to parents that were worried sick about BOTH kids!! Then Gabby’s parents finding out that van was back in Florida & Brian was HOME!!! That’s a slap in the face, lunch to the gut, & IMO, the purest form of cruelty & lack of humanity I’ve ever seen. All JMO but just thinking about how Gabby’s parents felt in that moment gets me so heated.

Oh, I completely agree. Which is even more why I wish they had responded immediately to the concerns of Gabby's family, showed compassion and tried to help in any way they could.

Their grief, if any, would have been private and just between the families.

Then this would be one more tragic case of a slaughtered woman, but not the global monstrous story it has become. And the public, us, who don't know them at all, would not be scrutinizing them.

I feel for all parties at this point, absolutely a no brainer for GP's parents, for BL I can't imagine their shoes. It would be nice if we knew facts of what went down. You so badly want to trust/believe your kids. Who knows what story he fed them and for how long.

Phone calls - does anyone have the timeline of events around the calls as they relate to known sightings? Early on perhaps he intercepted the calls? Perhaps he cut off the ring notifications in their phones, heck think they'd ever know?

I get all the talk about speaking to the parents, how does that conversation go? Both have suffering and loss at this point. I wouldn't wish either on anyone because neither position is good.

Gabby might of had several boy friends ( not serious) because her dad always had girl names for them. I don’t think he was crazy about his little girl with any guys. That’s how dads can be.

I can certainly understand Gabby’s dad calling Brian a coward. He certainly is a murderous coward. I want him found and want justice for Gabby and the Petito family. But I just don’t get the teasing previously, calling Brian ‘Brianna.’ That’s just nasty. I don’t know why I care, I just do.
Rest In Peace, Gabby.

Not directed at you as Poster - You are simply sharing the message…

Why do people keep doing this stuff? What are the odds they are going to stop if the media keeps giving attention to these little moves? No matter what the parents may or may not know, the harassment seems so wrong and will not suddenly bring Gabby back or cause Brian to appear.
It isn’t like they are out in town, they are at their residence, their home, and IMO they do have the right to privacy.
This whole thing makes me very uncomfortable. It is concerning for the parents safety AND the safety of those in the vicinity of that home. You don’t keep poking when someone is likely already at bottom. Recipe for disaster…
IMO
I agree. It's also not getting the desired response and doesn't honor Gabby. I still don't understand why people don't put things on their own lawns to get the message across. And by the way, you have to give people a way to come back. Someone going over and mowing their lawn, making a connection, might soften them. Or just letting them know they can make a mistake, but there is a path to forgiveness. I'm really worried this will escalate and there will more senseless tragedy.

Lurker no longer, first time poster. :)

From what I've seen and read of BL and this case, I think he's dead by his own hand in the Carlton Reserve. I don't see an individual who could outwit LE, dodging around the trails of America or hiding out one step ahead.

Right after killing Gabby, he may have tried in some way to create a story and alibi whereby he wasn't at the scene for a few days. Hike to Colter Bay, return to Spread Creek, report Gabby missing and take his chances. Reconsidering, he knew this wouldn't work - he'd be the prime suspect from the outset and at the mercy of the authorities.

The stark reality - fall into the hands of LE, it's a life in prison for him. Fresh air, outdoor loving BL was never going to countenance that as an outcome. The fact that he took the van and bolted for home, stealing Gabby's money on the way, was akin to an admission of guilt and that his prospects were bleak.

Back home, I think he knew what he was going to do. Have a last taste of his old life until LE closed in as he knew they would. He might have thought about going on the run or into hiding. But what are the chances that might work? It would be a miserable existence likely doomed to failure soon enough.

To my thinking if he was going to make a run for it, he would not have waited around for thirteen days. The sooner he got out of there the better and before Gabby's body was found, and he did not know when that would be. He got thirteen days before heading to Carlton Reserve for the last time.

Finding any remains or evidence in that reserve is a hit and miss affair. Substantial areas of it make systematic feet on the ground searching problematic. I don't think helicopters or drones can effectively scan the really densely grown areas.

MOO

Has it ever been mentioned if someone saw him leave in the Mustang?
No one was watching the Laundrie’s house at that time. BL gave everyone the slip. All we know is car was not in driveway Tuesday. No idea when he drove it out. His parents had indicated last time they saw him was Monday, so he left either very late a Monday night or early Tuesday. Likely left a text or note.
Acc to Attorney, parents searched for him Tuesday and Wednesday, bring back the car on Wed because LE left notice on it that it could not stay in that lot overnight. They reported him missing on Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en