GUILTY Zambia - Bianca Rudolph, 57, safari trip, fatally shot, 2016 Oct, PA dentist husband and gf arrested 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks for the updated links @JerseyGirl. I've been meaning to post the 200+ federal docket entries but the file proved too large for WS. Most important now is to include that the 2nd defendant here (Lori Milleron) was not successful in getting her case severed from Lawrence Rudolph, the husband.

Opening statements on Wednesday, 8:45 AM.

From the link:

Also charged in Bianca Rudolph's murder is her husband's former office manager and alleged lover, Lori Milleron, who is accused of lying to a federal grand jury about the case and about their relationship. She’s charged with perjury and being an accessory after the fact.

Rudolph has maintained his innocence telling Zambian authorities that he was in the restroom when Bianca shot herself accidentally as she was attempting to pack a shotgun. She was cremated in Zambia according to court documents. Friends said she was a Catholic who would not have agreed to anything except a traditional burial.

The first witnesses scheduled to take the stand are Bianca Rudolph's two brother, Vince and Ralph Finizio, who watched jury selection from a listening room Tuesday in the Alfred A. Arraj Courthouse in downtown Denver.

In the same room, but sitting across the aisle from the Finizios, were Larry and Bianca Rudolph's two adult children.

Attorneys asked jurors if they could get past two particular biases: their views on infidelity and also on big game hunting. Rudolph is suspected of having a multi-year affair with Milleron, and the death happened on a big game hunting trip during which Mrs. Rudolph wanted to take a leopard as a trophy.

Opening statements will begin at 8:45 Wednesday morning in a trial which is expected to last three weeks.

Wow -- the 3.5 min news video at the link is a good summary of the case and the evidence against the doctor husband.

I was not aware that Bianca told a friend she feared LR would murder her on the 2016 hunting trip but was going anyway to try and save her marriage.

Also, learned that LR ordered propofol to take on the trip in the event of an emergency (prosecution calls this evidence of premeditation). The clinic used an outside anesthesiologist and did not order/keep sedation Rx.

DENVER (AP) — A wealthy dentist killed his wife of 34 years with a shotgun blast at dawn on a remote African safari in 2016, collected nearly $5 million in insurance proceeds and later blurted out to his longtime lover that "I killed my f---g wife for you!," a U.S. prosecutor told a jury in opening statements of the dentist's murder trial Wednesday.

The alleged admission happened during an argument between Lawrence "Larry" Rudolph and his girlfriend, Lori Milliron, at a Phoenix steakhouse after he learned in 2020 that the FBI was investigating his wife Bianca Rudolph's shooting death in a small cabin in Zambia, Assistant U.S. Attorney Bishop Grewell said in a Denver courtroom.

"He killed his wife for HER!," Grewell said, pointing at Milliron, who is charged with lying to a grand jury and being an accessory after the fact and is being tried alongside Rudolph.

[,,]

Rudolph has maintained his innocence. He told Zambian police his wife died while he was in the bathroom, suggesting she shot herself while trying to pack a shotgun the couple took on the trip.

"They've chosen speculation over science. They've chosen fiction over fact," declared Rudolph's attorney, David Markus, in an equally impassioned opening statement.

Markus argued that the Rudolphs, the parents of two children, were in a happy marriage in 2016 that over the years had its ups and downs because both had had extramarital affairs — but that both continued to take frequent big game hunting trips. Bianca Rudolph was long aware of her husband's relationship with Milliron, he said.

[..]

Milliron's attorney, John Dill, told jurors his client knew nothing about any alleged murder and suggested she is the victim of leading questions by investigators and the grand jury.

"This isn't a trial about adultery," Dill said.

[..]

Prosecutors counter that evidence shows her wounds came from a shot fired from 2 to 3.5 feet away.

The government will prove that Rudolph, who built a small fortune with a Pennsylvania dental franchise, killed Bianca after receiving an ultimatum from Milliron, a former hygienist and manager of his office, that he divorce his wife, Grewell said.

Federal prosecutors, citing a U.S. consular official and others in Zambia, say Rudolph was in a hurry to have his wife cremated before returning home. A friend of Bianca's, too, told the FBI she was suspicious because Bianca was a devout Catholic who would have opposed the practice.

[..]

Rudolph plans to testify during the three-week trial, Markus said.

"He has the truth on his side," Rudolph said.

Markus also told jurors that Rudolph's alleged admission of guilt at the Phoenix restaurant was misheard by the witness. He claimed that what his client actually said was, ""They're saying I killed my f---g wife for you," Markus said.

"If that is what this case depends on, I can't believe we're going to be here for three weeks," Markus said.

1657758454665.png

7/13/22

DENVER — A wealthy dentist killed his wife of 34 years with a shotgun blast at dawn on a remote African safari in 2016, collected nearly $5 million in insurance proceeds and later blurted out to his longtime lover that “I killed my f---g wife for you!,” a U.S. prosecutor told a jury in opening statements of the dentist’s murder trial Wednesday.

The alleged admission happened during an argument between Lawrence “Larry” Rudolph and his girlfriend, Lori Milliron, at a Phoenix steakhouse after he learned in 2020 that the FBI was investigating his wife Bianca Rudolph’s shooting death in a small cabin in Zambia, Assistant U.S. Attorney Bishop Grewell said in a Denver courtroom.
“He killed his wife for her!” Grewell said, pointing at Milliron, who is charged with lying to a grand jury and being an accessory after the fact and is being tried alongside Rudolph.
Rudolph, 67, is charged with murder and mail fraud in what prosecutors describe as a premeditated crime.

[..]

Markus had the couple’s grown children stand in court to affirm to jurors they were there to support their father, who along with Milliron paid close attention to the opening statements.

Milliron’s attorney, John Dill, told jurors that his client knew nothing about any alleged murder and suggested she is the victim of leading questions by investigators and the grand jury.

[..]

Superseding Criminal Complaint at link below.

7/14/22

“They’ve chosen speculation over science,” Markus told the jury. “They’ve chosen fiction over fact.”

Additionally, the government claims, Larry Rudolph was “livid” when speaking with U.S. Embassy personnel after he learned photographs of his wife’s body had been taken. The dentist allegedly suggested his wife might have committed suicide to one embassy official “before or after” her body was cremated, the government alleges.

The fact of Bianca Rudolph’s cremation led a friend of hers to raise doubts with the FBI due to the deceased’s Catholic faith. That friend also raised the specter of the affair and alleged disputes over money. The government says the paramour gave the dentist an ultimatum to divorce his wife.

Milliron is also charged with lesser crimes as a co-defendant. Her relationship with Larry Rudolph was allegedly known to the deceased woman, the defense says, and their marriage was happy despite such dueling extramarital affairs over three-plus decades.

The couple had two children together – both of whom are reportedly standing with their father during the proceedings.

Since there's been little to none reported on this case since opening statements on 7/14/22, I'm posting the docket beginning 7/11 to date:

U.S. District Court - District of Colorado​

District of Colorado (Denver)​

CRIMINAL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:22-cr-00012-WJM All Defendants​

Case title: USA v. Rudolph et al

Magistrate judge case number:1:21-mj-00209-MEH
Date Filed: 01/05/2022

Assigned to: Judge William J. Martinez

Defendant (1)
Lawrence Rudolph
Pending Counts
18 U.S.C. §§ 1119 and 1111 - Foreign Murder
(1)
18 U.S.C. §§ 1119 and 1111 (Foreign Murder)
(1s)
18 U.S.C. § 1341 (mail fraud) and § 2 aiding and abetting and willfully causing
(2)
18 U.S.C. § 1341 (mail fraud) and § 2 (aiding and abetting and willfully causing)
(2s)

Defendant (2)
Lori Milliron
Pending Counts

18 U.S.C. § 3 (Accessory after the Fact)
(3)
18 U.S.C. § 1503(a) (obstruction of grand jury proceeding)
(4)
18 U.S.C. § 1623(a) (perjury before grand jury)
(5-9)

Date Filed#Docket Text
07/11/2022
213​
ORDER: This matter is before the Court on the Government's oral motion for authorization to communicate with members of the jury in this case. Pursuant to Local Criminal Rule 24.1 the Motion is GRANTED. Such communications with the jury are authorized under the following restrictions, which will be strictly enforced:(1) only counsel may speak with the jurors; (2) the communication may only take place after the conclusion of the trial; (3) the communication may ONLY occur within this courtroom; (4) and ONLY with those jurors who voluntarily choose to return into the courtroom to speak with the lawyers after I meet with them; and (5) there will be NO communication with a juror after that juror has left this courtroom. The intent of this Order is to provide counsel with the opportunity to discuss with jurors what transpired in the jury's presence in the courtroom, and to receive input from them which may assist counsel in improving their trial skills in future cases. Accordingly, counsel's communications with the jurors will be restricted to these topics. This Order is NOT intended to give counsel the opportunity to make inquiry into the jurys deliberations or to examine with them the validity or consistency of their verdict. Accordingly, counsel are prohibited from discussing with jurors: (a) facts or information which were not received into evidence; (b) the content of the jury's deliberations; or (c) the reasons the jury returned the verdict that it did. Any attorney violating any of these restrictions is subject to being held in contempt of Court. SO ORDERED by Judge William J. Martinez on 7/11/2022\. Text Only Entry (wjmsec, ) (Entered: 07/11/2022)
07/11/2022
WITNESS LIST (Second Amended) by USA as to Lawrence Rudolph, Lori Milliron (Attachments: # 1 Amended Witness List)(Fields, Bryan) (Entered: 07/11/2022)
07/11/2022
MINUTE ENTRY for Jury Trial Day 1 as to Lawrence Rudolph, Lori Milliron held before Judge William J. Martinez on 7/11/2022. Denying Defendants' 207 Motion for Order for Sufficient Time to Present Cases. Jury selection. Trial continued. Court Reporter: Mary George. (hguer) (Entered: 07/13/2022)
07/12/2022
ORDER CONCERNING OUT-OF-COURT STATEMENTS as to Lawrence Rudolph, Lori Milliron. By Judge William J. Martinez on 07/12/2022. (Attachments: # 1 Exhibit A, # 2 Exhibit B, # 3 Exhibit C) (athom, ) (Entered: 07/12/2022)
07/12/2022
MINUTE ENTRY for Jury Trial Day 2 as to Lawrence Rudolph, Lori Milliron held before Judge William J. Martinez on 7/12/2022. Jury selection. Trial continued. Court Reporter: Mary George. (hguer) (Entered: 07/13/2022)
07/12/2022
Random List - Unredacted - RESTRICTED DOCUMENT - Level 4. (hguer) (Entered: 07/13/2022)
07/13/2022
MINUTE ENTRY for Jury Trial Day 3 as to Lawrence Rudolph, Lori Milliron held before Judge William J. Martinez on 7/13/2022. Evidence entered. Trial continued. Court Reporter: Mary George. (hguer) (Entered: 07/14/2022)
07/14/2022
MINUTE ENTRY for Jury Trial Day 4 as to Lawrence Rudolph, Lori Milliron held before Judge William J. Martinez on 7/14/2022. Evidence entered. Trial continued. Court Reporter: Mary George. Interpreter: Towela Abreu. (hguer) (Entered: 07/15/2022)
07/15/2022
MINUTE ENTRY for Jury Trial Day 5 as to Lawrence Rudolph, Lori Milliron held before Judge William J. Martinez on 7/15/2022. Evidence entered. Trial continued. Court Reporter: Mary George. (hguer) (Entered: 07/18/2022)
07/17/2022
MOTION For Mistrial by Lawrence Rudolph, Lori Milliron. (Attachments: # 1 Exhibit Expert Report)(Markus, David) (Entered: 07/17/2022)
07/17/2022
RESPONSE in Opposition by USA as to Lawrence Rudolph, Lori Milliron re 221 MOTION For Mistrial (Attachments: # 1 Report of Defense Expert Lucien Haag)(Fields, Bryan) (Entered: 07/17/2022)
07/18/2022
223​
ORDER as to Lawrence Rudolph (1) and Lori Milliron (2): This matter is before the Court on Defendants' Joint Motion for Mistrial 221 . The Defendants are DIRECTED to file a Reply in support of their Joint Motion on or before 8:30 a.m., July 19, 2022. SO ORDERED by Judge William J. Martinez on 7/18/2022. Text Only Entry (wjmsec, ) (Entered: 07/18/2022)
07/18/2022
REPLY TO RESPONSE to Motion by Lawrence Rudolph, Lori Milliron re 221 MOTION For Mistrial (Markus, David) (Entered: 07/18/2022)
07/18/2022
MINUTE ENTRY for Jury Trial Day 6 as to Lawrence Rudolph, Lori Milliron held before Judge William J. Martinez on 7/18/2022. Evidence entered. Trial continued. Court Reporter: Mary George. (hguer) (Main Document 226 replaced on 7/19/2022) (hguer, ). (Entered: 07/19/2022)
07/19/2022
MINUTE ENTRY for Jury Trial Day 7 as to Lawrence Rudolph, Lori Milliron held before Judge William J. Martinez held on 7/19/2022. Evidence entered. Trial continued. Court Reporter: Mary George. (hguer) (Entered: 07/21/2022)
07/20/2022
ORDER Denying 221 Defendants' Motion for Mistrial by Judge William J. Martinez on 7/20/2022 as to Lawrence Rudolph (1), Lori Milliron (2). (trvo, ) (Entered: 07/20/2022)
07/20/2022
NOTICE of Forfeiture Hearing by USA as to Lawrence Rudolph, Lori Milliron (Bohn, Kurt) (Entered: 07/20/2022)
07/20/2022
MINUTE ENTRY for Jury Trial Day 8 as to Lawrence Rudolph, Lori Milliron held before Judge William J. Martinez on 7/20/2022. Evidence entered. Trial continued. Court Reporter: Mary George. (hguer) (Entered: 07/21/2022)
07/21/2022
MINUTE ENTRY for Jury Trial Day 9 as to Lawrence Rudolph, Lori Milliron held before Judge William J. Martinez on 7/21/2022. Evidence entered. Trial continued. Court Reporter: Mary George. (hguer) (Entered: 07/25/2022)
07/23/2022
MOTION to Exclude Hearsay Statements re Cassandra Olmstead by Lawrence Rudolph as to Lawrence Rudolph, Lori Milliron. (Markus, David) (Entered: 07/23/2022)
07/24/2022
RESPONSE in Opposition by USA as to Lawrence Rudolph re 231 MOTION to Exclude Hearsay Statements re Cassandra Olmstead (Fields, Bryan) (Entered: 07/24/2022)
07/25/2022
MINUTE ENTRY for Jury Trial Day 10 as to Lawrence Rudolph, Lori Milliron held before Judge William J. Martinez on 7/25/2022. Denying Defendants' 231 Motion to Exclude Hearsay Statements. Evidence entered. Trial continued. Court Reporter: Mary George. (hguer) (Entered: 07/26/2022)

7/27/22

DENVER (AP) — A wealthy dentist accused of killing his wife on a remote African safari in 2016 and later collecting nearly $5 million in insurance money was expected to testify in his defense Wednesday afternoon during his murder trial.

Federal prosecutors allege Lawrence "Larry" Rudolph blurted out to his longtime lover that "I killed my f---g wife for you!" during a fight at a Phoenix steakhouse after he learned in 2020 that the FBI was investigating his wife Bianca Rudolph's shooting death in a small cabin in Zambia.

Carol McKinley
@CarolAMcKinley

Rudolph tells jury “I didn’t kill my wife. I could not kill my wife. I would not kill my wife” as defense sews up their part. Tomorrow federal prosecutors take their turn with cross in salacious murdertrial involving a don’t ask don’t tell marriage, safaris and big bucks.

4:38 PM · Jul 27, 2022·
https://twitter.com/CarolAMcKinley
Carol McKinley
@CarolAMcKinley

Rudolph will be the final witness. Closings could take at least half a day. Judge tells 14 jurors to prepare to take off work Friday.

4:39 PM · Jul 27, 2022·

Then for two and one-half often emotional hours, a packed courtroom listened as his attorney grilled the multimillionaire dentist on everything from how he first met his wife, (in a cafeteria in college) to their open don’t-ask-don’t-tell relationship (it was a marriage without sex), to why he waited days before he told his children that their mother had died while on a Zambian safari (He wanted to hug them, hold them and grieve with them).

7/28/22

At the end of an exhausting day and a half of questioning in his murder trial, Larry Rudolph read the jury the tender eulogy he wrote for the wife he’s accused of killing.

As Rudolph fought back tears, Bianca Rudolph’s brother and cousin abruptly stood up and left the courtroom.

Undaunted, or perhaps unaware of their departure, Rudolph choked out the words. Then, he made one final statement to the eight-woman, six-man jury: “I absolutely did not murder my wife. I am innocent. I never did anything. I’m completely innocent of this crime.”

[..]

Federal prosecutor Bryan Fields grilled the 67-year-old game hunter about how the bullet was fired and what happened to the gun once he brought it to the U.S. There are varying stories about exactly who unloaded ammunition from the shotgun the night before the Rudolphs were to leave Zambia, but somehow one shell was left in the chamber.

[..]

The seasoned hunter testified that he wanted to leave the shotgun behind after the death, but since his Zambian guide didn’t have a proper permit, Rudolph was forced to tote it across the ocean to Arizona, where he stored it in his second home.

Despite a request from the FBI to help them understand how to prevent an accident like this from happening again, he did not offer to turn over the gun that killed his wife. Instead, he separated it into two pieces, put it in a cardboard box, and hired a special garbage company to take it away. He paid $100 cash for the service.

“I wanted it out of my sight,” he told the jury.

“Putting it in the dump kind of looks like you’re hiding evidence,” said Assistant U.S. Attorney Bryan Fields.

“No, sir,” answered Rudolph.

Fields had plenty of questions for Rudolph about his behavior after his wife’s death. He texted his lover, who ran his dental office, about the accident but didn’t tell his children for days. When the U.S. Embassy took pictures of Bianca Rudolph’s body at the mortuary, Larry Rudolph exploded with anger. He called to inquire about insurance payouts first thing in the morning on Oct. 19, just a day after he returned to the States.

[..]

Bianca Rudolph’s funeral was understated and simple at a cost of only $1,890 though the couple was worth around $15 million at the time of her death.

[..]

There was more fodder for the jury from a well-prepared government team. With some of the $4.8 million insurance payout, the Pittsburgh dentist admitted that he bought a $280,000 Aston Martin and a second car, worth $130,000. He used part of the insurance money to finance a $3.5 million home in Phoenix’ posh “Paradise Reserve,” where he and his girlfriend, Lori Milliron, would live together.

[..]

Randolph admitted on the stand that he lied under oath during depositions in his own defamation lawsuit against Safari Club International, a hunting group of which he was president for two years. Rudolph was upset that SCI members had called him an adulterer.

[..]

But on redirect the defense scored points summoning Bianca Rudolph’s words from her grave when it produced deposition transcripts. Two months before she died, she testified in the SCI lawsuit that the couple was happily married. Since 2000, they had an agreement that though their marriage would be sexless, they would remain friends and see other people in a don’t-ask-don’t-tell arrangement. She said that the word “affair” is a "vague term that means many different things to many different people.”

7/28/22

At the end of an exhausting day and a half of questioning in his murder trial, Larry Rudolph read the jury the tender eulogy he wrote for the wife he’s accused of killing.

As Rudolph fought back tears, Bianca Rudolph’s brother and cousin abruptly stood up and left the courtroom.

Undaunted, or perhaps unaware of their departure, Rudolph choked out the words. Then, he made one final statement to the eight-woman, six-man jury: “I absolutely did not murder my wife. I am innocent. I never did anything. I’m completely innocent of this crime.”

[..]

Federal prosecutor Bryan Fields grilled the 67-year-old game hunter about how the bullet was fired and what happened to the gun once he brought it to the U.S. There are varying stories about exactly who unloaded ammunition from the shotgun the night before the Rudolphs were to leave Zambia, but somehow one shell was left in the chamber.

[..]

The seasoned hunter testified that he wanted to leave the shotgun behind after the death, but since his Zambian guide didn’t have a proper permit, Rudolph was forced to tote it across the ocean to Arizona, where he stored it in his second home.

Despite a request from the FBI to help them understand how to prevent an accident like this from happening again, he did not offer to turn over the gun that killed his wife. Instead, he separated it into two pieces, put it in a cardboard box, and hired a special garbage company to take it away. He paid $100 cash for the service.

“I wanted it out of my sight,” he told the jury.

“Putting it in the dump kind of looks like you’re hiding evidence,” said Assistant U.S. Attorney Bryan Fields.

“No, sir,” answered Rudolph.

Fields had plenty of questions for Rudolph about his behavior after his wife’s death. He texted his lover, who ran his dental office, about the accident but didn’t tell his children for days. When the U.S. Embassy took pictures of Bianca Rudolph’s body at the mortuary, Larry Rudolph exploded with anger. He called to inquire about insurance payouts first thing in the morning on Oct. 19, just a day after he returned to the States.

[..]

Bianca Rudolph’s funeral was understated and simple at a cost of only $1,890 though the couple was worth around $15 million at the time of her death.

[..]

There was more fodder for the jury from a well-prepared government team. With some of the $4.8 million insurance payout, the Pittsburgh dentist admitted that he bought a $280,000 Aston Martin and a second car, worth $130,000. He used part of the insurance money to finance a $3.5 million home in Phoenix’ posh “Paradise Reserve,” where he and his girlfriend, Lori Milliron, would live together.

[..]

Randolph admitted on the stand that he lied under oath during depositions in his own defamation lawsuit against Safari Club International, a hunting group of which he was president for two years. Rudolph was upset that SCI members had called him an adulterer.

[..]

But on redirect the defense scored points summoning Bianca Rudolph’s words from her grave when it produced deposition transcripts. Two months before she died, she testified in the SCI lawsuit that the couple was happily married. Since 2000, they had an agreement that though their marriage would be sexless, they would remain friends and see other people in a don’t-ask-don’t-tell arrangement. She said that the word “affair” is a "vague term that means many different things to many different people.”
Thank you for this great synopsis of the article.
I’m crossing all my fingers for a guilty verdict.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawk53
Back