2011.06.13 Sidebar (Trial Day Seventeen)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I'm not worried at all. I think (ok, I hope) the DT is going to screw up and end up proving the state's case for them, and the state can then re-call witnesses.

Plus I think what Dr. G. said last week is STILL resonating with the jury. 100% of all drowning accidents are reported unless there's a REASON NOT TO.
I agree.
Some trials only get one 'Aha!' moment, if any.
This prosecution has already given us (and the jury) a few:

* 100% of drowning victims reported. (This was stellar testimony from Dr. G)

* The chloroform website being visited 84 times. (This question/ answer exchange played out like something from a movie. It was incredible)!

* Yuri Melich sitting on the stand, while the jury and entire world simply listened to Casey inadvertently testify against herself.
Talking about a non-existent 'Nanny' named Zanny. Leading detectives to the end of a hallway at Universal Studios, before she would even admit to not having a job.
Most chilling of all, in my opinion, Casey's own voice when she stated that Caylee said, "Hi Mommy!", when now the jury knows, by the defense team's own admission during opening statements, that Casey already knew that Caylee was dead. (Talk about the hair standing up on the back of one's neck)!

* Cindy Anthony, devastated grandmother to the little victim, completely breaking down on the stand. While the defendant just glared at her.

* The jailhouse videos, where not once does Casey ask about Caylee, Where she laughs at her mother crying. Where she states she, the inmate, should be viewed as a victim, too. Where Casey's reply to being told "People are saying Caylee may have drowned in the pool" was "Surprise, surpise". Where Casey can't gush enough about what a great father George is. That Caylee will be coming home soon. etc., etc. & on & on.

* The duct tact over a picture of Caylee's face morphing into Caylee's skull. (I didn't even see this animation myself, but I could tell how powerful it was, just by the way the observers in the courtroom acted while watching it. Even more so, by how Judge Perry acted after watching it, before deciding to allow the jury to see it).

I'm taking up way too much space, so feel free to add to this list!

I agree. I'm convinced KC searched how to make chloroform, but I'm not convinced she ever actually made chloroform or had access to or possession of chloroform.

IMO, the State strongly suggested the possibility of chloroform, but has not proven beyond a reasonable doubt that KC either made chloroform or had access to or possession of it.
...just her car did.

Didn't JB say during OS that ICA's brother LA's DNA was tested to see if he was the father of Caylee? I thought I heard that, but have not seen anything mentioned about it lately. Does anyone know? TIA

lee, george, jesse and even the next door neighbor shovel guy was tested for dna

I'm going to go look for it. It has me curious now too.

I beileve RA will be a defense witness - after all she did get the letters from ICA that spouted about the abuse.

Now off to dive into the depos......

I remember CA talking about the playhouse during the trial. And she talked about all of the work that she and George and Lee did on the house. The yardwork and the pavers and the lil mailbox. And I am almost positive she said they purcjhased it a month early.

http://definitions.uslegal.com/r/rebuttal-witness/
this link gives a pretty good explaination

Thanks, I read it....so the state could call witnesses other than the one they wish to rebut, right?

Also, the definition of rebuttel still did not address the issue of if the rebuttel witness would be called directly after each witness that the state wishes to rebut, OR would all rebuttel witnesses be called at the end of the defenses CIC? Anyone know?

I think the witness the SA is waiting to arrive is the dude from the military. Perhaps he is in another country & there were problems with his flight arrangements. Maybe he is going to drop a bombshell!

The googling of chloroform, neckbreaking and duct tape around the face wasn't enough for premeditation?

The thing is, they haven't said that the cause of death was chloroform, and the defense has got the myspace picture excuse why she might have looked up chloroform . I know there was chloroform in the trunk but I might be convinced that it came from cleaning products. Maybe Casey or Cindy did some heavy duty cleaning because the trunk smelled so awful.

Apparently there is no evidence of neck breaking so it could be irrelevant. If she was looking up self defense at the same time I could be convinced that those two searches are unrelated to Caylee's death. She wouldn't need any self defense skills and couldn't use a self defense excuse when murdering a two year old. I might look self defense up if I wanted to kill an adult.

I am still a bit confused about the computer guy's testimony because at first I got the impression that she did that chloroform search once and then suddenly it was 84 times.

The duct tape is very bad but the defense may come up with something to cast doubt, reasonable or not. Duct tape was used to seal the bags she was in and some got tangled in her hair, or something. Maybe they can put the tape convincingly in George's hands and look like they got an AHA moment.

I'm also thinking they will possibly be in deliberations by Saturday. I just don't see a huge defense case.

I recall Mark Geragos boasted the same thing in SP's case. When it came down to it, he called a few witnesses (the mom & dad), and then rested. I think the same will happen here.

I think the same thing.

Now that I have recovered from my intial shock, I'm thinking what the SA is doing makes sense. There have alot of witnesses to rebutt JB's theory...why not do that at the time JB presents it? Why call Tim Miller now? Call him after JB tries to put out his RK theory, then TM can testify about the water and everything and the jury will connect the two, rather than trying to remember his testimony from a week or two ago.

Why should the SA call RK? They know JB has to do it, so let JB put his case out there. I'm confident the SA has plenty to refute it and I think it's a good strategy to do that when JB presents it rather than in their own case. Why acknowledge or give credibility to anything JB said in his OS?

This DOES make a lot of sense. It's logical to expect the state to wait for the defense to put forth their case and then on rebuttal to present witnesses that will shoot down the defense case. I know there's others on the state witness list that will testify to the weather during that time too, and the amount of rainfall from tropical storm Faye. And, there's local residents and searchers that can testify to the water level in the area of the remains.

It was shown by the body farm that the trunk had 10,000 times the amount of chloroform in it than it should have.

I agree with you, but wouldn't it be cool if the SA had actual evidence of her purchasing the product, finding it in the home, receipts? Nothing, nada, zip.

The amount in the trunk is huge for me, but I'm sure the DT will bring this up "so she searched for chloroform, prove to me she purchased any ingredients, or made it". The air sampling collection was confusing to me, as one witness said it wasn't that abnormal, and another said it was extremely high. I was kinda tired that day - so forgive me if I'm not remembering correctly.

Like in the peterson case, they at least found the cement he used to toss his wife and son into the ocean (receipt too if I'm not mistaken).

Just my opinion - thanks.

Mel

It seems to me that JB only has one witness for the defense - Joy Wray....:great::floorlaugh::floorlaugh::crazy:

Maybe in conjunction with Joy Wray, JB will call Obama! :floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

Wait, tomorrow has to be one of the psych doctors, right? The defense dropped them?

That would definitely cook Casey's goose and debunk the defense's theory once and for all, IMO. Oh please let it be.

Well. I think the Defense case will consist of tearing into GA CA LA, a few experts who will try to discount state's experts, and a whole bunch of testimony about how the body was moved. SA will bring in rebuttal on the whole issue of the body being moved and will prove the area was underwater and nobody can say they searched exactly at the right place. I think SA is trying to hold the cell ping evidence hoping DT will blow it with regards to where ICA was when. Seems to be a pretty strong case to me so far.

even if she didn't mean to "oopsie - my bad for taping her up to keep her quiet" - that aggravated child abuse, and that means Murder 1.

But I am not convinced she put the tape on while Caylee was alive...just my opinion.

I wish! ICA lies so much, he could be alive.

Yeah 2-door, that would be a very fitting last person to be heard at this time. I am just dreaming this of course but can you imagine daddy showing up bringing with him a stack of letters from ICA explaining the entire case from her standpoint. What a dream!

After Saturday it seemed the State had pretty much wrapped up their case. JB's cross of the witnesses was sometimes long winded and here and there he made a few points but the most part his cross examinations were far less extensive than a defense attorney has done in many other cases. He does not appear to have a great knowledge of all the facts. (ie the jail house videos).

The State has kept their testimony very tight with each witness. They didn't wander, they didn't use suppositions and their redirect was on point.

Their entire case has been focused concise and straightforward.

No reason to doubt their strategy now.

Last night I had a flash of LA getting on the stand for the defense and saying that there WAS molestation going on, just to save his sister. Please reassure me that he wouldn't do that, and if he did, would it work?

I'm a bit concerned about what LA might testify too. Didn't he tell Nick Savage that he "will address that at the right time" in response to being asked if he molested his sister?

I'm also thinking they will possibly be in deliberations by Saturday. I just don't see a huge defense case.

I recall Mark Geragos boasted the same thing in SP's case. When it came down to it, he called a few witnesses (the mom & dad), and then rested. I think the same will happen here.

JB and MG are just alike. I expect JB to do something idiotic. Remember Mark Geragos epic failure by putting a mannequin in a boat to demonstrate (who knows what) for the jury....I hope JB has something just as stupid up his sleeve. Disgusting:banghead:

Also, they have watched the state put on a solid case against Casey Anthony, obviously as it stands she is guilty of something it remains to be seen what the jury convict her of, I think so far it is clear, it is a homicide, the jury just need to decide by accident or design.

Above all KC knew Caylee was dead on the 16th. There is no evidence to show anyone else was involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties