aggravation phase #8 - VERDICT - Extreme Cruelty PROVEN

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OT but I was listening to a true crime radio show from Canada last night and the host was talking to a blogger during deliberations and they were saying that the jury was going to hang, that it was manslaughter and proven, they were sure Juan had stuffed the whole thing up, and that there was no premeditation anyway etc etc .. It was great fun. I bet there's a lot of radio hosts and bloggers out there who wish there was a rock big enough to hide underneath right now ..

What show was that?

Her job is to help in the mitigation phase. Her job is to help with this one phase. To help save Jodi's life.

...that's probably why she has an apparent back up plan...according to her wardrobe anyway....:floorlaugh:

Legally, strictly black and white legalese ruling my opinion, the jury is almost forced to find the State's met its burden for aggravation. I'll be shocked if they come back with anything else. Reminder, the jury is NOT deliberating death itself...they're deliberating whether death is a possible sentence.

To reiterate what I posted last week: a victim does not need to maintain consciousness to establish cruelty; a victim does not need to sustain a certain number of wounds or take a certain amount of time to die either. There are only two necessary predicates for cruelty according to AZ law: 1) the victim was conscious during at least some portion of the crime and 2) the defendant should have known that the victim would suffer.

There was one case in which the victim (a deputy sheriff) was stricken in the head and lying on the ground, begging for his life, for at least 18 seconds but possibly as long as 2-3 minutes before being shot in the head. The conviction, and subsequent death penalty sentence (using the same aggravating circumstance), was upheld on appeal.

Relevant links:
http://www.supreme.state.az.us/courtserv/CrtProj/capsentguid/F6.htm
http://murderpedia.org/male.H/h/herrera-william.htm

I think she is feeling remorse.

Which, of course ... is impossible .... Bwaaahaaaaahaaa

:gasp: as if .......

She never uses the word remorse, it's always regret. Different meanings. Yes, she sure as the sun rises feels regret. She messed up, if she had to do it again, she would do it different. One learns from ones mistakes. The mistakes she made were not that she murdered Travis, it's how she did it. She is evil.

Now imagine the mullet coming at you, yelling your name and hurdling plants to get to you...:hills::hills:

I picture her training for these big events by running track and field, training on pole vaults and hurdles ... never slowing down or breaking a sweat, always keeping that microphone steady and eye on the targeted interview subject. The woman does not mess around.

Actually, the penalty phase encompasses aggravation and mitigation. We are in the penalty phase right now.

You are correct. After the Guilt Phase of the trials there is the Penalty phase....

1. Guilt Phase of the Trial

2. Penalty Phase Trial

Aggravating Circumstances

Facts that make a crime worse or more serious by such circumstances as the facts of the crime, the defendant’s prior criminal record, etc. Some aggravating circumstances are very specific, e.g., the murder of more than one victim. Other aggravators are broad, e.g., the murder was committed in a heinous, cruel or atrocious manner.

Mitigating Circumstances

Facts that do not justify or excuse an act or offense, but may reduce the degree of moral culpability, and thereby reduce the penalty. Examples include mental impairments, deprived background, etc.

Victim Impact Statements

Statements read into the record, or presented through testimony of witnesses, during sentencing to inform the jury of the financial, physical, and psychological impact of the crime on the victim and the victim's family.

Jury Sentence Recommendations

The jury considers the aggravating and mitigating circumstances surrounding the crime and the defendant and returns with a recommended sentence. In a death penalty case, the jury chooses between a death sentence and a lesser sentence of life witho ut parole, life, or a term of years.

Judge Sentencing

After considering the jury recommendation, the court formally pronounces punishment on the defendant. In some states, the judge must follow the jury recommendation. In other states, a judge may sentence without a jury, or override a jury’s recommendation.

http://deathpenaltycurriculum.org/student/c/about/stages/stages.PDF

Hey, were trending on Yahoo!lol

1 Arias death penalty
2 Ron Weaver dies
3 Britney another baby
4 Caroline Kennedy jury
5 17 puppies dumped
6 Ashton Demi $10 million
7 Senior prostitution ring
8 Amputee killed by dogs
9 New J.C. Penney logo
10 Judge scolds Trump

Would it be wrong for me to suggest we all run over to yahoo and google (errr, I mean search!) Travis Alexander to bring him back to the top, not the name arias? :seeya:

I think we've already seen what we can expect from the recent interview. Same blend of self-pity and projection. She will only discuss sorrow in the context of what "Travis made her do," or for "Travis' secret life..." There will be more nonsense of what a tragedy it was that Travis was a hypocrite, on and on. She will not be able to help herself. :cow:

Correct! I think it will take at least 7 years before she completely breaks, tells some small truths, and then volunteers to take everyone on a goose chase through the desert to dig up the gun. She will also take back her non-mitigating factors comment. She might even wait until her father is dead before she starts the telling of all of the heinous acts he made her perform. Just a crazy guess about a crazy girl... :moo:

Good heavens - another closed hearing. JS sure likes to keep things close to the vest.
Nurmi and Juan in chamber w/her now.

:seeya:

Has anyone seen or heard anything from BETH KARAS TODAY ?

Any tweets ? Any reporting ?

I haven't seen her on HLN today ... :waitasec: no wonder their clock is all screwed up !

Yes. and she is on HLN now.

The peeps on the crazy site are collecting money for an appeals atty. Some have also turned on Nurmi. lol

I really can't take this waiting...anyone want to sing "Soft kitty" to me? (I'm not, my mother had me tested.) :scared:

Watching HLN and just saw JVM interview Tiffany who says she is pursuing journalism...she was much more composed with a professional demeanor than JVM…can they please swap places please. :please:

She was sitting in the back next to JC this morning, and speaking by phone to VP later.

:seeya: Thank You. I don't recall hearing anything from her today ...

And do NOT want to rely on Jean C for how long the jury has been out ... LOL !

:moo:

You are correct. After the Guilt Phase of the trials there is the Penalty phase....

1. Guilt Phase of the Trial

2. Penalty Phase Trial

Aggravating Circumstances

Facts that make a crime worse or more serious by such circumstances as the facts of the crime, the defendant’s prior criminal record, etc. Some aggravating circumstances are very specific, e.g., the murder of more than one victim. Other aggravators are broad, e.g., the murder was committed in a heinous, cruel or atrocious manner.

Mitigating Circumstances

Facts that do not justify or excuse an act or offense, but may reduce the degree of moral culpability, and thereby reduce the penalty. Examples include mental impairments, deprived background, etc.

Victim Impact Statements

Statements read into the record, or presented through testimony of witnesses, during sentencing to inform the jury of the financial, physical, and psychological impact of the crime on the victim and the victim's family.

Jury Sentence Recommendations

The jury considers the aggravating and mitigating circumstances surrounding the crime and the defendant and returns with a recommended sentence. In a death penalty case, the jury chooses between a death sentence and a lesser sentence of life witho ut parole, life, or a term of years.

Judge Sentencing

After considering the jury recommendation, the court formally pronounces punishment on the defendant. In some states, the judge must follow the jury recommendation. In other states, a judge may sentence without a jury, or override a jury’s recommendation.

http://deathpenaltycurriculum.org/student/c/about/stages/stages.PDF

Is there a time limit to family members or defense witnesses giving their statements? Or to the number allowed to talk for each side?

Thanks

Correct! I think it will take at least 7 years before she completely breaks, tells some small truths, and then volunteers to take everyone on a goose chase through the desert to dig up the gun. She will also take back her non-mitigating factors comment. She might even wait until her father is dead before she starts the telling of all of the heinous acts he made her perform. Just a crazy guess about a crazy girl... :moo:

I don't know...this one may never reveal anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adr5879