Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Possible the victim did have a suspicion it was BRE who attacked her, also possible the kimono was traced back as belonging to his household and it was claimed on questioning that the kimono was stolen by an outsider off their clothesline putting distance between BRE and the crime. He may have even found someone to alibi him at that time and it left the police without enough to proceed with a charge.

It's likely imo BRE's name was already in the old Huntingdale file as a suspect enabling the police on the re-opening to put a name to the DNA they already had fairly quickly.

I don't think they knew of each other at school, did she grow up in Huntingdale or move there recently (to the Attack). 2 yrs age difference is about the gap that splits kids especially girls. There wouldn't have been anywhere particular to hang out in Huntingdale to develop a sight aquaintance , there was Thornlie pools and the sports complex opposite his house. Not sure when Richard Rushden Centre was built. I think he reconnoitred his stalking ground and had to rethink his MO when that attack didn't go as planned. Also knowing when he got his drivers license would be an indication of when he might have broadened his range.

I don't think they knew of each other at school, did she grow up in Huntingdale or move there recently (to the Attack). 2 yrs age difference is about the gap that splits kids especially girls. There wouldn't have been anywhere particular to hang out in Huntingdale to develop a sight aquaintance , there was Thornlie pools and the sports complex opposite his house. Not sure when Richard Rushden Centre was built. I think he reconnoitred his stalking ground and had to rethink his MO when that attack didn't go as planned. Also knowing when he got his drivers license would be an indication of when he might have broadened his range.

Unsure of the age difference between BRE and his siblings but imagined it possible as the Huntingdale victim was younger this is where an association even if flimsy, may have been made. Either way, if he spotted her she'd probably seen him around somewhere imo.

Does anybody have the name of the street the Huntingdale victim lived in? Iirc the distance between hers and BRE's house was only a short walk.

Possible the victim did have a suspicion it was BRE who attacked her, also possible the kimono was traced back as belonging to his household and it was claimed on questioning that the kimono was stolen by an outsider off their clothesline putting distance between BRE and the crime. He may have even found someone to alibi him at that time and it left the police without enough to proceed with a charge.

It's likely imo BRE's name was already in the old Huntingdale file as a suspect enabling the police on the re-opening to put a name to the DNA they already had fairly quickly.

For what it's worth, I agree and think this is a very plausible scenario. I read in a news article after BRE's arrest that review of the Huntingdale case file provided a vital clue... IMO that suggests that either BRE's or his family's name was in that file - either as a suspect, owners of the kimono, or both. Sorry I don't have a link to the exact article where it was reported- does anybody else?

Unsure of the age difference between BRE and his siblings but imagined it possible as the Huntingdale victim was younger this is where an association even if flimsy, may have been made. Either way, if he spotted her she'd probably seen him around somewhere imo.

Does anybody have the name of the street the Huntingdale victim lived in? Iirc the distance between hers and BRE's house was only a short walk.

Re: Huntingdale Victim – Aged 18 - February 1988:

The Huntingdale incident happened close to the vicinity of cross streets Harpenden St and Bronzewing St. The Es lived in Gay St, the next street (south-west). The victim couldn’t have lived there very long because it was a fairly newish development.

I’ve mentioned beforehand that I worked in Bullfinch St, during 1987 to 1988. Bullfinch St was a full thoroughfare from Warton Rd to Southern River Rd. It’s since been divided into three different streets and Bronzewing St, near Harpenden St is the part I’m referring too.

I don’t think, back then Gay St extended from Warton Rd to Southern River Rd – until a later date. I think access to the Es house from Warton Rd would have been via Bronzewing St, then Balfour Rd - (back then Harpenden St wasn’t built – ie Bronzewing St to Gay St).

It makes sense that the young lady (victim) was spotted en route home. Perhaps whilst driving to Gay St, via Bullfinch St (Bronzewing) and Balfour Rd to Gay St.

BRE turned 17 on 7/12/1985 so perhaps he got his licence then.

For what it's worth, I agree and think this is a very plausible scenario. I read in a news article after BRE's arrest that review of the Huntingdale case file provided a vital clue... IMO that suggests that either BRE's or his family's name was in that file - either as a suspect, owners of the kimono, or both. Sorry I don't have a link to the exact article where it was reported- does anybody else?

Thanks Xyz,

This is the article I think you may be referring to, there were a few that stated it was reopening the old Huntingdale file that led them to BRE.

[h=1]Claremont serial killings: stolen kimono helped lead police to arrest[/h]A WOMAN’S silk dressing gown stolen 28 years ago is believed to have been the vital clue that lead police to arresting a Perth man over the cold case.

Police claim the DNA samples (on the kimono) came back as a match to samples already on the police database — samples that had been recovered from the body of the third Claremont victim, Ciara Glennon, and from a 17-year-old woman who was grabbed in a Claremont street in 1995 and then assaulted at the nearby Karrakatta cemetery.
It told police that the serial killer they were hunting may have been the same person who dropped the kimono. While the DNA link did not give them a name for that person, it did provide detectives with fresh investigative opportunities contained within the pages of the 1988 case file.
As a result of re-examining that case, it’s understood the major breakthrough — the details of which are not yet clear — came within weeks.

http://www.news.com.au/national/cla...t/news-story/cdad7c5a6b825958b6d46cb11eb44c75

I recall the Richard Rushton Community Centre (RRCC) being there before 1985 – definitely! That’s on Baron Way, Gosnells and the hall was utilised for indoor sports, like basketball, netball and volleyball. Another room hosted playgroup and the child health nurse had a room too. http://www.gosnells.wa.gov.au

The RRCC was near to the pathway, alongside the Southern River, mentioned beforehand which spanned from near the Gosnells HS through to Wilson. https://www.google.com.au/maps

In summary,

1988 - Gay St, wasn’t a thoroughfare from Warton Rd to Southern River Rd – it is now.

1988 - Bronzewing St was a thoroughfare from Warton Rd to Southern River Rd – it isn’t now.

In 1988, reaching Gay St from Warton Rd – one would need to travel along Bronzewing St, Balfour St and Gay St

https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...005add1b956e2!8m2!3d-32.0885278!4d115.9617692

The link attachment is an example of a 1963 Fiat sedan, similar to JCs car. JCs Fiat was two-tone coloured but with a majority of gunmetal grey. Please let me know if the example is incorrect.
attachment.php
Re: Small front windows

For those of you that don’t realize the little front windows were fairly easy to open – with a bit of a jiggle.

If the car was locked, it was probably easy to unlock with a coat hanger.

Also, the rear seat may have been easy to remove, granting access to the boot.

I wonder if the kimono was monogrammed with someones initials.

Metic,

Here's the first of the extrapolating, if that's a correct word (LOL)

It was during winter when JCs car went into the ocean – between Mon 20 AM to Wed 22 June 1988. During that period the beach would have been very secluded at night. If the perpetrator/abductor was responsible for the car entering the ocean, perhaps he thought it would get washed out to sea, instead the car remained closer to the beach.

CV , there is something vague in my memory, a bit of extrapolating that we could do, im hoping .
So i have a vague memory of reading the story of a function, gathering or party type thing, occuring on the sunday night 19th & mon 20th early am .
Thinking the story went, that around the cott beach area there was something going on and this story is within the WS or BF websites .
Does anyone have that story / memory ?
If you know where that information is then please bring it forth for discussion ?

CV , there is something vague in my memory, a bit of extrapolating that we could do, im hoping .
So i have a vague memory of reading the story of a function, gathering or party type thing, occuring on the sunday night 19th & mon 20th early am .
Thinking the story went, that around the cott beach area there was something going on and this story is within the WS or BF websites .
Does anyone have that story / memory ?
If you know where that information is then please bring it forth for discussion ?
I'll have a look for details on a function, gathering or party etc. Perhaps there was a venue in Cottesloe which was used. Can anyone think of any sports etc which would have something in June?

• 24 Aug 2016 - Bartholemeus posted this one.... #1402

- JC was last seen on Monday 20th June 1988 at 12:30am in her car which was parked in the Parmelia Hilton car park in the city. She was alone and was leaving a staff function.
    - A man and woman were see leaving the function shortly after her. It's unknown whether police spoke to them and if they have been ruled out.
    - Someone online claims she was seen at The Racquet Club (a nightclub in East Perth) afterwards. She was apparently a regular there. This has never been reported by police or media. One issue with this is time. Sunrise would have been about 7am but there would have been early morning joggers. I also think police and media would have discovered she went to the Racquet Club if it were true.
    - Her car was dumped in the surf at Cottesloe. Most likely by the killer but it's possible the killer dumped the car somewhere else and an uninvolved 3rd party then took the car and dumped it. The only plausible way the car go into the ocean was it was driven down the access to road to the surf club at high tide and across a limited span of sand and then was taken out with the tide.
    - How the back seat came apart from the car is a mystery. It doesn't make sense that the killer dislodged the seat and dumped it and the car. I also can't see the back seat coming undone and coming out through the front window while in the surf as apparently the back doors were locked and only the front driver side window was open. Possible but unlikely. Maybe media reports are incorrect and it was the back rest of one of the front seats?
    - The body was most likely dumped somewhere else. Never been found. The car went out with the tide and the car as well as a seat came back in with the tide.
    - Where did JC meet her killer?
    - Why dump the car in the surf? Why not just leave it in the car park?
    - Why Cottesloe? The killer had to get home and there's not a lot of public transport options.
    polski_fiat_125p_7.jpg

I'll have a look for details on a function, gathering or party etc. Perhaps there was a venue in Cottesloe which was used. Can anyone think of any sports etc which would have something in June?

Rugby oval above the Seaview golf course

Posts are purely my own opinion unless otherwise stated with source links. All my original text and images remain exclusively my personal copyright.
[emoji317][emoji317][emoji317]

And what's the name of the hall on beach front on south side of Indiana Tea House. That hall is regularly used for functions like 18ths and 21st birthday parties.

Posts are purely my own opinion unless otherwise stated with source links. All my original text and images remain exclusively my personal copyright.
[emoji317][emoji317][emoji317]

Quote IC, "You said there were storms on the weekend of 17 to 19th June 1988.
Incorrect.
But it came from an expert so it must be correct?
There was a high pressure system over the state.
The information that I found was not for Cottesloe beach but local waters and there was a SW wind 10 to 15 knots and decreasing."

Hi, The storm that affected the state on the 24th was opposite in the way it didn't spark up much fury whilst over the ocean.
It did its thing over the state , dropping masses of rain etc .

Some of the detailed information here in the color maps show every 6 hours ,
4 per day .
So much information, who has looked at the maps ?

The 44 color maps detail every 6 hrs interval from the 16th -26th june 4 pictures per day .

Starting about the 15th june because that gives a 5 days time frame for big seas / swell to occur .
Unfortunately the P.Oceanographer didn't include as much area in the Indian Ocean as was necessary to identify the swell source .
subsequently the "long period swell" (Am 22nd)
Origin has not been tracked because the map is cut short .

The storm/ swell of the 17th 19th is documented and is a good example case study .

Coastal waters reports aren't very detailed .

The photo of JC'S car on beach is a snapshot during the afternoon (?guessing)
There are small/med waves rolling in .
This pictures proves nothing regarding the conditions on the 20th or 21st although it seems to keep being posted Repeatedly as
if it does .
When you consider the peaks on the swell graphs , up one day down the next .

"Surfers famous saying is, you should have been here yesterday" !

You can see the graphs, rising and falling metres over the days.

As for the 3metres forecasted on the 20th,
i couldn't be happier because that is similar to what the info the Oceanographer provided and the hunch ive had for a much longer time.
In my profession of forecasting i learn the habits of many different weather forecast sites and tools .
There's lots of characteristics that need to be learnt to get the best out of each site .

The reason for using Rott , Nat , Alb is just because i asked the P/Oceanographer to help find evidence of big waves during that time frame .
Those 3 locations are the best info available, there is no other stations, these 3 are standard locations and are still the main ones used Now (29 years later).

Obviously if Cott worked that would be brilliant , but its not .
With experiences and using averages it is easy to make an estimate about cotts (virtual in this case) buoy size .

Its says in my posts wayback from the get go that 2-3 metres swell is the height that i suggested may have battered the metro beaches in the 3-4 days before the 20th june "88 .

The location of the storm in the Indian Ocean to the west and southwest of the state is the storm ive been focussed on primarily.
This storm created a remarkable swell event .

Agreed with IC, that there was not much storm to be seen on the main land to suggest the storm was either rough or bad so hope that settles that dispute .

Its what it did in the ocean , creating 7 metre swells is rare .
It was a big storm off the coast .

Because of the big swells, ive considered what it might have done to the beaches and beach goers on the 17th onwards .
Wondering if it changed peoples routines etc.

Two swell peaks there , on 17 & 19 both with onshore winds , thus potentially causing beach erosion .

I wondered if fishermen and or other beach goers , would have been on cott beach at night on the 19th, 20th, 21st & 22nd .

In the 44 color maps there is a lot of detail its not at all plain simple weather .
There is winds & directions that would have been blowing fresh at times along the coast and there are chances this wind and the leeuwin current moved evidence ( if there was any associated things or evidence of some kind ).

Most interesting with the color maps is for example; on the 23rd there is a very fresh norwest wind blowing down the coast southward .
There's also a few other very interested things regarding local winds and the unfortunate timing of it , perhaps hindered the search to find anything .

At one stage a few days after JCs disappearance the winds change direction 180 degrees and blow . That was the one of the first & only southerly type wind during the 8 days .

Color maps are great have look please .

FWiW
In my opinion the swell forecast is a bit exaggerated for the 21st being 2.5metres .
Thats the "lag" .
i know how its works and it happens nowadays .
Just ask if your interested how.
No need to fuss about that now anyway.

Bom coastal waters is not a great detailed source of info .
Because of a "Lag" bom calls the 21st at still running a 2.5m swell , but its because the day before was actually big so bom plays it safe and keeps the warnings out.

This typically occurs in low level forecasting , Such as bom coastal waters .
Paid subscriptions is the modern way to obtain the best info .

These are the color maps.
Unfortunately i cant get them to come out in any order , so its scrambled order sorry my screens so small i cant choose with any accuracy as the dates marked are too small . But not to worry ..

Best thing to do is read them yourself from the link, it will be in order then , you can read it in correct order that way .

Top 3 show a storm which is red shape and this has created the xxl swells on WAs coastline .
bad4b28083bbd603a142731165618851.jpg

a71e7a0ea8ad3072153cdbdfe8fda446.jpg

dab5bdfbc7dd2354a858751cb4ab3463.jpg

This is the 23rd and you can see arrows tightly bundled up, close around perth,
Fresh north / nw winds .
The leeuwin current would be strong on this day , it would have been strong on the 21-23rd imo .
41a05502ecef94c20463b7dbb5238a70.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eha1b8z9fn7hr66/ECMWF_wind_pressure_june_15-26_1988 (2).pdf?dl=0

It could be anywhere.
I had two friends houses- one in Hovea and one in Mundaring- who had big limestone blocks making a retaining wall between garden and driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anyclimate3010