CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in upstate NY many years ago, and at that time there was a NY State Board of Regents. The board determined what needed to be taught in each grade in each academic subject. The board's guide book was sent out to teachers at the beginning of each school year.

When it came time for final exams at the end of the year, there was the school exam and the State Board of Regents exam. You had to pass the state Regent exam in order to be promoted to the next grade. It was up to the teachers to make sure they had taught the material in the state guide books.

It was said that it was a way to make sure the quality of education was uniform state-wide. It didn't matter if you lived in a poor community, you got the same education as those in the wealthy areas. It was said that it was also a way to check up on teachers.......if enough students in one classroom failed to pass the Regents test, it could be the teacher was just not teaching.

Maybe this type of state board tests could be given to home schooled children. It would determine if the children were learning what was necessary. The test brought to the home school location and the state instructor staying while the home schooled students took the exam. This would accomplish two things..............test the children's academic achievement, and also allow a state instructor to be in the home school location while the test was being taken would give time to make observations.

The NBC news at 6:00pm in Los Angeles said that a classmate remembers the Turpin boy who attended college classes with him. It was stated that they knew something wasn't right. The Turpin boy was very thin and never wore shoes. He only wore flip-flops.

Isn't OC weather pretty conducive to flip flops? I'm in Hawaii and flip flops (slippers) are the norm. I wouldn't even give a second thought to someone wearing flip flops all the time.

It’s a shame that there aren’t more options for your brother where you live, such as skipping a grade or two, or going into a gifted program.

SBM
Why is it a shame? My mom didn't want my brother to skip grades. Intellectually, he's above his peers, but mentally, he's still 6. Gifted programs aren't really a thing here, unless you go to a private school and there's no way my mom and stepdad could afford that.

Homeschooling also allows my mom to teach my brother at his own pace and allows her to teach him things a secular school won't. She considered putting him 1 of the Christian schools in the area, but they cost as much as a private school.

Homeschoolers get a better learning experience, IMO.

You know, i didnt post anything because i didnt know if it was just me, because i would be in agony, but in one of the disney pictures they've all just got rubber flip flops on and i thought how hard it must be to walk round all day and stand queuing in them.

when ive been to disney, my feet have been wrecked at the end of the day.

Flip flops (slippers) standard footwear here in Hawaii:)

You know, i didnt post anything because i didnt know if it was just me, because i would be in agony, but in one of the disney pictures they've all just got rubber flip flops on and i thought how hard it must be to walk round all day and stand queuing in them.

They are also the cheapest type of shoes so the parents would have appreciated not having to waste money on expensive footwear that the kids would only wear once out of the house anyway.

I didn’t get to watch the press conference but I think it was posted that the dad was working. The sleeping all day and being up at night aligns with the dads paystub being accurate that he worked second shift.

What hours are second shift, im from the UK, would it be the 2pm - 10pm shift that we have over here?

I’m curious to understand how they can say the abuse only started in 2010. So before that there was no starvation? Just extreme isolation? Or just simply no retraining of the children?

If no abuse earlier, why are the older ones not clued up on the world? I’m guessing they still must have been incredibly sheltered.

I find it hard to accept there was any normalcy and no mistreatment prior to 2010.

I wonder if there are family photos kept at be house that evidences what their life was like prior to 2010?

I would place money that 1) they didn’t spend a long time at Disney and 2) they most definitely didn’t get to go on any rides.

SBM
Why is it a shame? My mom didn't want my brother to skip grades. Intellectually, he's above his peers, but mentally, he's still 6. Gifted programs aren't really a thing here, unless you go to a private school and there's no way my mom and stepdad could afford that.

Homeschooling also allows my mom to teach my brother at his own pace and allows her to teach him things a secular school won't. She considered putting him 1 of the Christian schools in the area, but they cost as much as a private school.

Homeschoolers get a better learning experience, IMO.

It’s a shame that there aren’t more resources is what I meant. Your parents pay taxes for that very reason. I guess I look at it differently since public schools are better than private schools where I live. We pay out the butt in taxes bc of the school systems. I think everyone should have the same access to resources despite what you pay in taxes. That’s great your brother is excelling in his studies. I applaud your mom for taking matters into her own hands and being so dedicated.

I respectfully disagree homeschooled kids get a better education. It might be regional, but teachers need masters degrees to be an educator. And kids strongly benefit socialization. JMO

Flip flops (slippers) standard footwear here in Hawaii:)

Yes i'm sure, and it was one of the reasons why i hesitated posting in the first instance, as i know that it's just something that we aren't used to wearing over here in our cold wet climate. However, my gut reaction, unfortunately, was that they are the cheapest type of footwear available.

Summarizing a few things, just so I can organize and get some perspective.

The torture began in Forth Worth, Texas, but the neglect had been going on for a long time.
Forth Worth is where they lived in separate residences.
Lived in 36 acre farm in Rio Vista TX from 1999-2010.
The abuse/torture escalated/intensified with the move to Murrietta CA in 2010.
They moved to Perris 2014.
Filed bankruptcy in TX and in CA.
Family lived in Tx for 17 years.
Child #12 is currently 11 years old (in 6th grade according to CA database) this means #12 was born in 2006.
The FB comment that "another one is coming in 9 months" occurred in 2010? Was this an expected pregnancy, accompanied by great frustration when it didn't happen?
Child #13 was born in spring, 2015. That is a 9 year gap between #12 and #13, after regular births every 12-24 months.
At 2 going on 3 years old, #13 was beginning to move out of the dependent child stage, and I wonder if the realization that this was the last one was settling in, and if that was escalating things even further?

Could the trigger have been the inability to get pregnant? Abuse intensifies in 2010, 4 years after Child #12 born. No infant to distract the parents? And IF DT and LT are the parents of Child #13, did she have post-partum depression which spiraled things even further out of control? Several posters have mentioned that she seemed "grumpy" in wedding renewal of 2015, after Child #13 was born.

Are there any missing newborns in this area, from spring 2015???

Might he have acted out aggressively, thus the shackles? What't the tied thing about his beer belly? That doesn't look like a waist chain to me. Is it an electronic zapper?

Legs shackled/waist chain with handcuffs is standard procedure, at least in California. If you watch the longer version of the arraignment you'll see that it IS a chain around his waist. He doesn't strike me as a guy who would get aggressive with anyone in an authority position. Can't bully an authority with a gun.

I would place money that 1) they didn’t spend a long time at Disney and 2) they most definitely didn’t get to go on any rides.

Knowing what we now know, I'm definitely inclined to agree with you Kiwilaura!

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the oldest boy was allowed to attend college classes? Also, were they regular academic classes, or classes anyone in the community can take?

My opinion is he was to be the next bread winner and family supporter. Why else would he be encouraged and supported in doing this?

I grew up in upstate NY many years ago, and at that time there was a NY State Board of Regents. The board determined what needed to be taught in each grade in each academic subject. The board's guide book was sent out to teachers at the beginning of each school year.

When it came time for final exams at the end of the year, there was the school exam and the State Board of Regents exam. You had to pass the state Regent exam in order to be promoted to the next grade. It was up to the teachers to make sure they had taught the material in the state guide books.

It was said that it was a way to make sure the quality of education was uniform state-wide. It didn't matter if you lived in a poor community, you got the same education as those in the wealthy areas. It was said that it was also a way to check up on teachers.......if enough students in one classroom failed to pass the Regents test, it could be the teacher was just not teaching.

Maybe this type of state board tests could be given to home schooled children. It would determine if the children were learning what was necessary. The test brought to the home school location and the state instructor staying while the home schooled students took the exam. This would accomplish two things..............test the children's academic achievement, and also allow a state instructor to be in the home school location while the test was being taken would give time to make observations.

RSBM I believe reports were the house did smell and investigators had to open windows to air out the house while they were going through things.

It begs the question of how he presented himself at work doesn’t it? It’s hard to get smells like that off your clothes, hair, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CindyW1974