CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the car picture, I noticed the pants in the back passenger broken window.

ETA: Was the contents of the vehicle viewed by the family? Was there anything they didn't recognize?

Personally and JMO

something is going on in this young mans life!
The breakup with the girlfriend
the Mom we need to talk statement.
Sends up a huge red flag to me.

I think he is alive and is either in some kind of trouble.
Or cant face his Family for some reason or other and feels its better to leave than tell them.
I think he is in trouble and he is with someone.
I think that car was pushed off the road and he was maybe looking for a good place to stash it...
It has to be something serious to take off like this.

Here are pics of the vehicle.
Note: Windshield not broken
paint on tires match paint on road

Hopefully this will confirm to everyone that car went down the hill and was found on road

Ok this looks like that suv came down off that hill and just landed on its side
they do tip over.... It does not appear to have rolled any the top is not crushed nor the hood.
suvs do tend to tip if they are unbalanced in any way.

Whats at the top of that hill?
Sorry I have not had the chance to look at any of the other pics or the maps.

3 miles in a 1/2 hour? That's a 10 minute mile, which I wouldn't call leisurely at all, but maybe I'm just getting old.

:D I agree. I'm a keen walker and I generally take around 14 minutes to walk a mile. 3 miles per hour is a standard walking pace for most people.

I think I'm caught up again, and I noticed something interesting about the car pictures. I don't know what the other side looks like, but if it rolled completely over, that's one heck of a roof and hood on that car. The front window is mostly intact, which means there was no real impact on the front roof, so it looks it might have been a side drop and flip, not a true rollover. The front tires are working on bald, so there was little to no grip with those. The back tires have tread, but they are just street tires and would have no purchase in that terrain. I can easily see that size vehicle rolling down the hill and brakes being of little use, the tires would just slide if there was enough momentum. I'm not talking lots of speed, but enough downhill weight to keep the car from stopping. It still looks like the lower rear quarter panel hit first (the fold over the wheel well makes me think that-there is no reason for the fold if it just landed on it's side), but the picture doesn't show the front.

The back window could easily have been broken when it hit on the passenger side.

The part that confuses me is on the back hatch. There is a severe indent about 6 inches down from the top spoiler. It doesn't match up to any marks on the side. I can't figure out how that could happen.

There is no doubt in my mind that if Bryce was in the driver's seat when the car went down, he hit his head (probably several times) on the driver's side window. (I've done that more times than I want to admit). I'm also not convinced anyone was inside when it went down. If Bryce stepped out to "check the tires" and it wasn't in park, well, I think of the time my father forgot to put one of the cars in park, and it rolled backwards down the hill in front of our house....

Maybe those black luggage rack type things on the roof kept it from getting too smashed in if it rolled completely? It looks like there's some dents up there. I would like to see the other side too. I tried looking in the reflection on the window of the black car parked to the right for any clues...there's a piece/chunk of something black near the driver side mirror. I thought maybe it was some piece of the car sticking out, but I think whatever it is is inside the other car.

I think I'm caught up again, and I noticed something interesting about the car pictures. I don't know what the other side looks like, but if it rolled completely over, that's one heck of a roof and hood on that car. The front window is mostly intact, which means there was no real impact on the front roof, so it looks it might have been a side drop and flip, not a true rollover. The front tires are working on bald, so there was little to no grip with those. The back tires have tread, but they are just street tires and would have no purchase in that terrain. I can easily see that size vehicle rolling down the hill and brakes being of little use, the tires would just slide if there was enough momentum. I'm not talking lots of speed, but enough downhill weight to keep the car from stopping. It still looks like the lower rear quarter panel hit first (the fold over the wheel well makes me think that-there is no reason for the fold if it just landed on it's side), but the picture doesn't show the front.

The back window could easily have been broken when it hit on the passenger side.

The part that confuses me is on the back hatch. There is a severe indent about 6 inches down from the top spoiler. It doesn't match up to any marks on the side. I can't figure out how that could happen.

There is no doubt in my mind that if Bryce was in the driver's seat when the car went down, he hit his head (probably several times) on the driver's side window. (I've done that more times than I want to admit). I'm also not convinced anyone was inside when it went down. If Bryce stepped out to "check the tires" and it wasn't in park, well, I think of the time my father forgot to put one of the cars in park, and it rolled backwards down the hill in front of our house....

Good points.

I notice a surprising lack of debris on the vehicle, there's all kinds of places for grass and weedy material to get stuck in on the left but there's none, just a couple dirt marks. If it slid down the incline on its side at all you'd think it'd pick up some green stuff along the way.

Also noticed on the center left side the up and down scrapes, I too was thinking caused by the tow truck but that's a lot of scraping on the roadway to upright it.

And the back hatch, what caused it to look like that? I know dragz said the back bumper got caught and was torn off but that doesn't seem to account for the way the hatch door looks.

I just wanted to note my own thoughts

I think we cannot assume how much blood he was bleeding because he could have used his shirt to control bleeding. I remember the LE said he took something from his bag, he could have taken more clothing.

Also I know if I was in a crash and bleeding I would either want to stay with the vehicle or go get cleaned up, but maybe that is just me. I would be curious if he saw the water from where he was standing after the crash or if he blindly made his way to the water edge by coincidence? I guess he may have known walking downhill would be towards water if it was slanted ground?

Anyways after cleaning up maybe he was headed back towards the scene of the accident or the store but being disoriented went the wrong direction. I have been lost before and it is easy to get lost in the wrong direction and when you see or hear people looking for you, in my experience I would try to catch up to them or holler and they would move on before I could get there.

Maybe those black luggage rack type things on the roof kept it from getting too smashed in if it rolled completely? It looks like there's some dents up there. I would like to see the other side too. I tried looking in the reflection on the window of the black car parked to the right for any clues...there's a piece/chunk of something black near the driver side mirror. I thought maybe it was some piece of the car sticking out, but I think whatever it is is inside the other car.

Well from what I see the drivers side isn't messed up!
His rear view mirror is still attached. windows all closed and not smashed.
Was the car rear ended down that hill and then it rolled on its side!
Seems the passenger side that was damaged.

Something popped in to my head about 3:00 this morning. I wonder if the parents or LE have checked BL's credit reports to ascertain if he's opened any new credit card accounts since the accident or if he has any cards they weren't aware of. I have been in finance all my adult life and IMO credit reports can be very telling, even at the young age of 19.

Something popped in to my head about 3:00 this morning. I wonder if the parents or LE have checked BL's credit reports to ascertain if he's opened any new credit card accounts since the accident or if he has any cards they weren't aware of. I have been in finance all my adult life and IMO credit reports can be very telling, even at the young age of 19.

Good idea. When I was in college I remember credit card representatives consistently walking around on campus trying to sign us up for credit cards.

Hm. Is it windy there? That can create currents even in a lake like this, IMO. I know it's very windy not too far from there (Rosamond area) but I don't know the Castaic area itself very well. Could that have impacted where he ended up if something happened in the water?
It gets pretty windy on the lake at times. Some of the coves may be not as bad depending on which way its blowing. Ive had a boat anchored while fishing and been blown in circles by the winds and the water.

this is what 'early' morning looks like at the big lake- from about 2 months ago it appears- and the shoreline can be seen some too
Trolling Castaic Lake for Striped Bass The Reel Brothers Presents - YouTube

now I would like to know where all them trucks & boats go turn around to get in line, cuz the sun is behind them in the east...unless they are all coming from Lake Hughes, town of?

You hear that guy say they got there at 4:00??

Oh and guess where they are lined up? Yup, Main Ramp Rd.
Baal point Road is right around the bend at the top.

Snipped and bolded by me. Except that drag made it clear in his last posts that the dogs tracked right from the crash. I can't imagine any reason the truck would have been pushed down on its own and then Bryce walked down to check out the crash. I mean, you don't intentionally ditch a car and then decide to go check it out when someone could happen by and see you. And even if he was standing outside the car at the antenna tower and it accidentally started to roll down the slope like you mentioned, and he went down to check it out, the dogs would have tracked his scent some way back up to the antennae tower instead of into the park area.

I think with the revelation that the dogs tracked right from the crash site and the blood drops found we can conclude 98% chance that Bryce was in the car when it went down unless anyone can think of a reason to discount or explain why his scent is right there and goes outward of the crash site and not back up to the antennae tower.

If Bryce was in his car when it rolled/tumbled/whatever it did and wandered away from the crash looking for help (going towards lights, trying to find civilization for help, etc.) and got lost or even got picked up by a truck driver (which I don't think he would have done unless he intentionally intended to disappear) I am having a hard time believing he wouldn't have been able to figure out how to notify someone by now. I do not think he is wandering around with amnesia or a major head injury confused and wanting to get home; I just do not believe the evidence supports that theory.

according to http://www.castaiclake.com/hours_and_fees.html
August 25 - August 31 6:15 AM <opens>

So this is the beginning of a long Labor day weekend. And in that you tube video I posted^ it shows boat ramp traffic starting to line up pretty darn early.
I am really curious how much of a line was forming that morning.

ah- snipped-"Got to the lake and was first in line and then the line started to really grow with cars and no boats, I'm thinking there is gonna be alot of shore fisherman and rental boaters. Boy was I wrong, all the cars lining up were Sheriffs doing some kind of training exercise today. Well the gate opened about 5:45 and all the sheriffs started going in then a fire truck, then a paramedic, then three highway patrols and they were all lighting it up. Then it was about 6:10 and the gate opened for us normal people but we could barely get into the gate and all the cops and emergency vehicles were parked on the u-curve the quagga inspector told us to wait and drove down to see what was going on and wouldn't ya know a car went over the side (so much for a training exercise) and the main ramp was closed so they directed us to the west ramp. I was the first to launch and finally got on the water about 7:00. "

from http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?75485-What-a-day

SO did none of these people lining up see anything??? Wonder when they started lining up...this is puzzling.

Good idea. When I was in college I remember credit card representatives consistently walking around on campus trying to sign us up for credit cards.

My son went to high school on a University campus and was allowed to take college courses at 15. Once he was registered for those classes, I couldn't believe the credit card applications that came to the house. They started out offering a $1,000 credit limit that would be increased as you paid and established credit. I threw them all out. But yeh, they are really easy to get when in college.

I'm sticking to my guns on this...a 3 point turn was not possible. I'm starting to think I may need to go back and get pictures of this.

As far as sleeping goes, he may have gone in there thinking he could sleep behind it and then realized he couldn't too late? But my theory I think makes the most sense with what we have (as far as how the accident happened).

Going to sleep doesn't really make sense because by then it was 4:00am approx. His accident happened there, so he was there likely very close to that time, so by then he already had been there for 2 hours and likely already slept.

The accident occurred after he went to sleep based on the time line and what I could see. He probably got off the free way on Lake Hughes Rd. He continued on that road for awhile, when he finally found the turn out for either the flying lessons or the church and went to sleep there. When he reversed out either of those turn outs he likely went the wrong direction. He realized he went in the wrong direction, saw the driveway and tries to accelerate to get up the ramp (it's steep), and by the time he realizes that's not an area you can use to uturn, it's too late and he's going down the hill.

I don't think I'd consider turning on my 4x4 and going in to reverse when going down a mountain, I wouldn't even know it was possible, I'd be holding on for dear life.

RBBM

I am not disagreeing with you on the three point turn. Just spit balling...

Is possible that he initially thought of using the tower as a turnaround, then figured he could just go down hill to Main Ramp Road, not knowing about the 15 foot drop at the end, landing the Highlander on it's side?

I was thinking out loud about the backing up. I have done it a number of times on steep inclines, but then I off road for a hobby and have an F350 with off road tires.

I'm sticking to my guns on this...a 3 point turn was not possible. I'm starting to think I may need to go back and get pictures of this.

As far as sleeping goes, he may have gone in there thinking he could sleep behind it and then realized he couldn't too late? But my theory I think makes the most sense with what we have (as far as how the accident happened).

Going to sleep doesn't really make sense because by then it was 4:00am approx. His accident happened there, so he was there likely very close to that time, so by then he already had been there for 2 hours and likely already slept.

The accident occurred after he went to sleep based on the time line and what I could see. He probably got off the free way on Lake Hughes Rd. He continued on that road for awhile, when he finally found the turn out for either the flying lessons or the church and went to sleep there. When he reversed out either of those turn outs he likely went the wrong direction. He realized he went in the wrong direction, saw the driveway and tries to accelerate to get up the ramp (it's steep), and by the time he realizes that's not an area you can use to uturn, it's too late and he's going down the hill.

I don't think I'd consider turning on my 4x4 and going in to reverse when going down a mountain, I wouldn't even know it was possible, I'd be holding on for dear life.
By the tower he should have easily been able to make a 3 point turn. The Highlander isnt a big SUV and the width of the road there plus the shoulder makes it possible. Lanes are typically 12 feet wide and that shoulder on the west side is close to that and the east side shoulder looks to be 6-8 feet wide. Even going with those lanes maybe slightly smaller, that still leaves close to a 40 foot wide area on the short side.

according to http://www.castaiclake.com/hours_and_fees.html
August 25 - August 31 6:15 AM <opens>

So this is the beginning of a long Labor day weekend. And in that you tube video I posted^ it shows boat ramp traffic starting to line up pretty darn early.
I am really curious how much of a line was forming that morning.

ah- snipped-"Got to the lake and was first in line and then the line started to really grow with cars and no boats, I'm thinking there is gonna be alot of shore fisherman and rental boaters. Boy was I wrong, all the cars lining up were Sheriffs doing some kind of training exercise today. Well the gate opened about 5:45 and all the sheriffs started going in then a fire truck, then a paramedic, then three highway patrols and they were all lighting it up. Then it was about 6:10 and the gate opened for us normal people but we could barely get into the gate and all the cops and emergency vehicles were parked on the u-curve the quagga inspector told us to wait and drove down to see what was going on and wouldn't ya know a car went over the side (so much for a training exercise) and the main ramp was closed so they directed us to the west ramp. I was the first to launch and finally got on the water about 7:00. "

from http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?75485-What-a-day

SO did none of these people lining up see anything??? Wonder when they started lining up...this is puzzling.
BBM, thats sounds kind of wierd to me that they would all be parked that far away from the crash site.

^ I think he was referring to the u curve down where Main Ramp & Government Cove are, sorta right there below the incident... & non LE were gonna have a hard time getting by
maybe

^ I think he was referring to the u curve down where Main Ramp & Government Cove are, sorta right there below the incident... & non LE were gonna have a hard time getting by
maybe
Thats what Im talking about, thats a good 600 feet away from the accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne