CA CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021 #4 *husband arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I shudder to imagine the immensity of that search grid. I looked back on my social media from the 8th - was at Cowles Mountain. How can we get folks from far and wide to take a look at their photos and social media posts from the 8th to see if they captured the vehicle or a possibly a picture of LM? Seeing as he said he went to the beach (albeit changed his mind about which one), I wonder if there is a shred of truth to that, and searches should focus on beach access.

I have contemplated this myself, coming back to the possibility several times…then I doubt coastal areas for how open they are and the greater possibility of being seen. I immediately dismissed the possibility of a border crossing, I cannot see him risking this. MOO is that he took his time getting rid of evidence either by burial or dumping in water/off a cliff.

Something that sticks out from earlier in this case was LM mentioning the word hike 11 times in the first interview. Based on the criminal analysis done by investigators, the more someone mentions/repeats something the harder they are trying to convince you of that or lead the listener in that direction. If LM wanted listeners to think Maya went on a hike, then that may exclude mountains regions. Only, I imagine LM going for the mountainous regions because of how secluded they are, taking more time to ensure a thorough disposal.

I am less familiar with the desert areas in SoCal, but these areas are also definitely possible given the vastness and seclusion (and difficulty recovering a body). The only doubt I have regarding the desert is that it would be impossible for LM to rid his vehicle of the sand if he buried her here. The sand would be inside and outside of the Lexus, and they would be able to forensically identify where the sand came from.

I am completely overwhelmed by the radius as well. May Maya’s family receive the peace they need by a confession and location from someone that knows something. In my opinion, LM will take this info to his own grave.

I have contemplated this myself, coming back to the possibility several times…then I doubt coastal areas for how open they are and the greater possibility of being seen. I immediately dismissed the possibility of a border crossing, I cannot see him risking this. MOO is that he took his time getting rid of evidence either by burial or dumping in water/off a cliff.

Something that sticks out from earlier in this case was LM mentioning the word hike 11 times in the first interview. Based on the criminal analysis done by investigators, the more someone mentions/repeats something the harder they are trying to convince you of that or lead the listener in that direction. If LM wanted listeners to think Maya went on a hike, then that may exclude mountains regions. Only, I imagine LM going for the mountainous regions because of how secluded they are, taking more time to ensure a thorough disposal.

I am less familiar with the desert areas in SoCal, but these areas are also definitely possible given the vastness and seclusion (and difficulty recovering a body). The only doubt I have regarding the desert is that it would be impossible for LM to rid his vehicle of the sand if he buried her here. The sand would be inside and outside of the Lexus, and they would be able to forensically identify where the sand came from.

I am completely overwhelmed by the radius as well. May Maya’s family receive the peace they need by a confession and location from someone that knows something. In my opinion, LM will take this info to his own grave.

Jumping off this post, in agreement, I've learned from previous cases, that often bits of information we learned early have a place in the actual occurrence, just not always as we believed. Tecia S put presplaining on the WS map. She talked about keys and cuts and things flying out of the truck, which proved to be stories she told IMO to answer evidence as LE presented it to her. In this case, sand.

LM said he went to the beach. He has every reason to lie. So I think LE saw sand. And he answered beach. I hope LE can test sand and determine the source. Not beach sand, I bet it's desert sand. IMO he offroaded.... question is did he bring shovels? Is she buried? Concealed by scrub? Or just laid bare in the middle of nowhere?

I think he meant on thing truthfully.

He gave her SPACE. Wide open space.

Twisted but truthful.

JMO

I wish they could release the Zoom earth images from the 8th, and let sleuths comb over them! The Salton Sea area definitely would have been fairly desolate in January - quite frankly many of the beaches once you get past Malibu are pretty isolated as well.

Murderers disposing of bodies often do so in areas they feel comfortable in. Sometimes that's a place they visited before, or have an emotional connection to. The serial killer* we had in our area left at least two victims on the property where he lived as a young teenager and dumped others beside roads he drove regularly.

This tendency makes me think LM probably went to one of the desert areas where they had been camping. It wouldn't surprise me if he found a likely spot ahead of time and even did some preparation.

I think he might also have chosen a place where the Lexus had been before. That way, any dirt or sand could be explained away as from the earlier visit.

*not charged or convicted of murders, but when they locked him up on other charges, the murders stopped.

I'm thinking of these innocent children that probably never lived a day without their mother's presence until January 2021 and now live without their dad too. And nobody to blame for this but LM. It takes a special kind to permanently separate a child from his/her mother. :mad:

I'm thinking of these innocent children that probably never lived a day without their mother's presence until January 2021 and now live without their dad too. And nobody to blame for this but LM. It takes a special kind to permanently separate a child from his/her mother. :mad:
Yes, the children have suffered horribly in this situation, and even with the very best therapy, will be effected for life. I hope that with the right guidance they can turn their tragedy in to some good.
Can you imagine the horror the youngest will face some day when he realizes he was (allegedly) riding around with his mother's dead body in the car? (Allegedly). That's a heavy burden to carry.

Amateur opinion and speculation

From a Channel 8 News Article:

SAN DIEGO COUNTY, Calif. — "Prosecutors have filed a court motion aimed at keeping the husband of missing Chula Vista mother, Maya Millete, in jail with no bail.

In the filing, Deputy District Attorney Christy Bowles argues if Larry Millete is released on bail, he might try to kill a man who allegedly had an affair with his missing wife."
“Larry does have a scary temper... nothing the people outside of the family have seen,” Maya is quoted as saying last year. “I don't think he would hurt me, but I think he would hurt the kids to get back at me."

More of the motion to deny bail at:
Larry Millete back in court Wednesday, prosecutors file motion to deny bail | cbs8.com

From a Channel 8 News Article:

SAN DIEGO COUNTY, Calif. — "Prosecutors have filed a court motion aimed at keeping the husband of missing Chula Vista mother, Maya Millete, in jail with no bail.

In the filing, Deputy District Attorney Christy Bowles argues if Larry Millete is released on bail, he might try to kill a man who allegedly had an affair with his missing wife."
“Larry does have a scary temper... nothing the people outside of the family have seen,” Maya is quoted as saying last year. “I don't think he would hurt me, but I think he would hurt the kids to get back at me."

More of the motion to deny bail at:
Larry Millete back in court Wednesday, prosecutors file motion to deny bail | cbs8.com
Please let’s hope this motion is passed. LM is sooo dangerous.

10/26/21

On Tuesday, News 8 learned Millete will make a brief appearance in Chula Vista court in the afternoon of Wednesday, October 27. A spokesperson for the San Diego County District Attorney confirmed the hearing was scheduled to “address the criminal protective order.

The criminal protective order filed last week names Millete’s three minor children, currently ages 5, 10 and 11.

Under the terms of the order, the father “must have no personal, electronic, telephonic, or written contact with the protected persons.” Additionally, Millete must stay “100 yards away from home, employment, school, [and] vehicle of each protected person.”

A bail review hearing has been set for November 4 in Chula Vista court.

@Niner

If the protection order is granted and LM is prevented from contact with his three children, he will be nothing short of an unpredictable beast and should not have any opportunity to post bail!

LM is already charged with one murder so killing the alleged affair partner himself without any help from the spellcaster, also a possibility.

MOO

Wednesday, October 27th:
*Protective Order Hearing (Murder) (@ pm PT) - CA - *Maya Millete (39) (last seen @ home on Jan. 7, 2021, near San Miguel Ranch area, Chula Vista & reported missing Jan. 9, 2021 by her sister). *Larry Millete (40) charged (10/18/21), arrested (10/19/21) & arraigned (10/21/21) with murder. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
*Larry Millete (39/now 40) regarding gun violence restraining order on possession of guns (1/7/21).
Case info from 1/7/21 thru 9/14/21 reference post #680 here:
CA - CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021 #4 *husband arrested*

10/19/21 Update: Millete has been arrested on suspicion of murder in the disappearance of his wife Maya “May” Millete, a Chula Vista mother of three who was reported missing nine months ago, police said Tuesday. The Chula Vista Police Dept. SWAT team arrested Larry at 11:42am Tuesday at his home, police Chief Roxana Kennedy said in an afternoon news conference. He was alone at the time of his arrest. He was booked into jail, where he was being held without bail, District Attorney Summer Stephan said. The investigation included more than 67 search warrants, 87 interviews & review & investigation of more than 130 tips, Kennedy said. Stephan said her office filed a criminal case in San Diego County Superior Court on Monday charging Millete with murder. Larry has also been charged with one count of possession of an illegal weapon. She said the case was filed based on evidence that was developed during an extensive nine-month investigation. He had been withdrawing large sums of money from the bank in the days leading up to his arrest, making it look like he was going to flee, according to Little, an attorney working with Maya's family. Murder: Millete is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday, 10/21/21 at 1:30pm at the South Bay courthouse. GVRO hearing on 12/1/21 & family court hearing on 12/17/21.
10/21/21 Update: Murder: Millete plead not guilty. No bond at this time. Requested bail hearing & Judge set bail hearing on 11/4/21 @ 11:30am to review. Protective order in effect (to certain parties).

10/26/21 Update: Prosecutors have filed a court motion aimed at keeping Millete in jail with no bail. In the filing, Deputy District Attorney Christy Bowles argues if Millete is released on bail, he might try to kill a man who allegedly had an affair with his missing wife." Millete will make a brief appearance in Chula Vista court in the afternoon of Wednesday, 10/27/21. A spokesperson for the San Diego County District Attorney confirmed the hearing was scheduled to “address the criminal protective order.” The criminal protective order filed last week names Millete’s three minor children, currently ages 5, 10 & 11. Under the terms of the order, the father “must have no personal, electronic, telephonic, or written contact with the protected persons.” Additionally, Millete must stay “100 yards away from home, employment, school, [and] vehicle of each protected person.”

Forgot to put the time of the hearing....

Defendant Defense Counsel
Larry Ibarreta Millete Bonita Martinez

Court No. Date Time Event
CS319857 10/27/2021 01:30 PM Further Proceedings
San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center, Dept. 12

link: Case Information, Search - San Diego County District Attorney

Good point, I'm local and am at a loss why he would activate that, it's very obvious what major freeways there are and how to get back to Chula Vista. If one supposes he's in the desert and just needed directions back to interstate...1) many of those "roads" in the desert are off road vehicle and most don't show up in standard GPS maps and 2) if they've spent time in the dessert before, which they had, he should have known his way around. I've spent lots of time out in those desserts and generally if you have no idea what specific road your on it's pretty much just head in any direction (e.g. south) and you eventually hit a main road...

Thank you for responding! I feel like I can speculate as much as I want but it doesn't mean anything because I'm unfamiliar with the area.

I know it's not really possible to think like someone else but that hasn't prevented me from trying these last few months. I feel like if I could just think like Larry, maybe I'd have some realization that could eventually lead to her resting place. That being said, I do have some thoughts.

It's clear to me there was some level of premeditation based on his bizarre behavior leading up to the 7th. The web searches like "plant you take to never wake up" from March of 2020 as well as Spellcasters are very telling. I would also include the statement from Maya's family stating that he was acting weird in Glamis but that could mean anything at this point.

Larry apparently did not show up for work on the 6th which was unusual for him according to his boss in the arrest documents. We know Maya was last seen on the 7th at around 5:00pm. If he was planning Maya's demise on the 6th, I would be curious about his movements that day. If he left the house, I wonder if he left his phone behind that day as well.

As for the 11 hours he was away on the 8th, I personally have a hard time believing that he drove a full 5.5 hours, dumped her body, and then drove 5.5 hours back. I'm not sure about the capacity of the gas tank in a Lexus, but he definitely would have had to stop at a gas station on a trip like that unless he had fuel already available to him. There's also a psychological factor as well. Even the most psychopathic killer would probably be somewhat nervous to drive a long distance with a body in the trunk. In my opinion, it would probably feel similar to driving around with a loaded bomb. With that in mind, he would probably also avoid as much human interaction as possible. He would probably also be aware that there are less people around early in the morning rather than later in the day. However, it is entirely possible that he did max out his trip. I don't want to dismiss that possibility entirely, it just feels less likely.

All that being said, I feel like it was his intention to get rid of Maya as soon as possible and away from any possible witnesses. But I also think that he was probably in a state of panic. Maybe he had a spot in mind in advance but when he arrived, he found there were people around or too much visibility. It's possible he exited the highway and spent a majority of his time scoping out a spot where he could avoid being seen which could have lead him to an area that is unfamiliar to him and further away than he intended. And it's possible the GPS is a red herring, but Larry has proved, at least to me, that he is not as intelligent as he thinks he is. I think it's far more likely that he was somewhere around 2.5 hours from home but in a location far from a main road or with poor visibility; possibly in a ravine or high up on a mountain, maybe a vast desert or a heavily treed area. Maybe he had spent a long time trying to find a main road before inputting the GPS because he was lost.

It's possible I'm not giving Larry enough credit. It's true, she hasn't been found yet, but I contribute that more to luck than to careful planning. Obviously, this is all just speculation on my part. I could be right on target, or miles away from the truth. But I would love to see your opinions on this. I'm sure there's a lot I haven't considered despite the fact in trying to be as open minded as possible. I just want her found.

Big MOO on this post for sure!

Thank you for responding! I feel like I can speculate as much as I want but it doesn't mean anything because I'm unfamiliar with the area.

I know it's not really possible to think like someone else but that hasn't prevented me from trying these last few months. I feel like if I could just think like Larry, maybe I'd have some realization that could eventually lead to her resting place. That being said, I do have some thoughts.

It's clear to me there was some level of premeditation based on his bizarre behavior leading up to the 7th. The web searches like "plant you take to never wake up" from March of 2020 as well as Spellcasters are very telling. I would also include the statement from Maya's family stating that he was acting weird in Glamis but that could mean anything at this point.

Larry apparently did not show up for work on the 6th which was unusual for him according to his boss in the arrest documents. We know Maya was last seen on the 7th at around 5:00pm. If he was planning Maya's demise on the 6th, I would be curious about his movements that day. If he left the house, I wonder if he left his phone behind that day as well.

As for the 11 hours he was away on the 8th, I personally have a hard time believing that he drove a full 5.5 hours, dumped her body, and then drove 5.5 hours back. I'm not sure about the capacity of the gas tank in a Lexus, but he definitely would have had to stop at a gas station on a trip like that unless he had fuel already available to him. There's also a psychological factor as well. Even the most psychopathic killer would probably be somewhat nervous to drive a long distance with a body in the trunk. In my opinion, it would probably feel similar to driving around with a loaded bomb. With that in mind, he would probably also avoid as much human interaction as possible. He would probably also be aware that there are less people around early in the morning rather than later in the day. However, it is entirely possible that he did max out his trip. I don't want to dismiss that possibility entirely, it just feels less likely.

All that being said, I feel like it was his intention to get rid of Maya as soon as possible and away from any possible witnesses. But I also think that he was probably in a state of panic. Maybe he had a spot in mind in advance but when he arrived, he found there were people around or too much visibility. It's possible he exited the highway and spent a majority of his time scoping out a spot where he could avoid being seen which could have lead him to an area that is unfamiliar to him and further away than he intended. And it's possible the GPS is a red herring, but Larry has proved, at least to me, that he is not as intelligent as he thinks he is. I think it's far more likely that he was somewhere around 2.5 hours from home but in a location far from a main road or with poor visibility; possibly in a ravine or high up on a mountain, maybe a vast desert or a heavily treed area. Maybe he had spent a long time trying to find a main road before inputting the GPS because he was lost.

It's possible I'm not giving Larry enough credit. It's true, she hasn't been found yet, but I contribute that more to luck than to careful planning. Obviously, this is all just speculation on my part. I could be right on target, or miles away from the truth. But I would love to see your opinions on this. I'm sure there's a lot I haven't considered despite the fact in trying to be as open minded as possible. I just want her found.

Big MOO on this post for sure!

i agree with the BBM. i feel he was at the site for a bit concealing her so i dont think he went out a full 5 hours.

...I feel like if I could just think like Larry, maybe I'd have some realization that could eventually lead to her resting place. That being said, I do have some thoughts....
Appreciated all your thoughts and your attempts to "think like Larry". I think I am in a pause mode trying to determine if he really did make that day trip to dispose, if he used the GPS just to "play with LE", or if the whole trip was a ruse. I tend to agree that it'd be uncomfortable driving with a body far. Getting rid of the body fast would be what I'd think he'd strive for. I'm reading everyone's posts with ideas on where to search for Maya, and it's comforting to know there's a lot of caring people out there.
...my friend left an abusive relationship with a child. he was already utilizing the child as a tool to control. she had to show up at the house with a friend a week after leaving and basically kidnap her own child. she then spent the next week going house to house hiding until she was placed in a shelter with her child and got an attorney who advised her to stay hidden for 3 months at the shelter in order to establish residency in that county to hopefully circumvent a court order to force her to remain in the same county. she is still there. he is unable to serve her because she doesnt know where they are. his own mother gave her money for the retainer so that should tell u something. leaving abuse is a whole mess.
It's very hard especially with children. Hope your friend manages to pull off a safe exit and abusive mate comes around to doing what's best for the child. It's important to gauge the situation correctly.
One of my complaints of the series and the handy solution was the wealthy attorney she works for fixes her up with another family attorney that will work for free. How often does that happen? MOO, restraining orders are not any kind of definite protection, still got to take extra precautions to stay safe.
3. There typically aren’t any magical, wealthy benefactors waiting to make your life easier.
17 "Maid" Details In The Book That The Series Missed (buzzfeed.com)

Appreciated all your thoughts and your attempts to "think like Larry". I think I am in a pause mode trying to determine if he really did make that day trip to dispose, if he used the GPS just to "play with LE", or if the whole trip was a ruse. I tend to agree that it'd be uncomfortable driving with a body far. Getting rid of the body fast would be what I'd think he'd strive for. I'm reading everyone's posts with ideas on where to search for Maya, and it's comforting to know there's a lot of caring people out there.
It's very hard especially with children. Hope your friend manages to pull off a safe exit and abusive mate comes around to doing what's best for the child. It's important to gauge the situation correctly.
One of my complaints of the series and the handy solution was the wealthy attorney she works for fixes her up with another family attorney that will work for free. How often does that happen? MOO, restraining orders are not any kind of definite protection, still got to take extra precautions to stay safe.
3. There typically aren’t any magical, wealthy benefactors waiting to make your life easier.
17 "Maid" Details In The Book That The Series Missed (buzzfeed.com)
yesss i started it yesterday. it is hard to get any help or support. my friends mothers family didnt even want to get involved, were mad at her an asked her if it was "really that bad"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rhojensenbeach