Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be argumentative, but how the heck would you identify them?
The 20 year old with the freshly plucked eyebrows, with the nondescript earings, accompanied by her grandma with the gray streaks, and bushy eyebrows? Just Saying, this is really a conundrum...

I think the idea would be to look at the records and identify people who would further fit the bill again, connections to the area, criminal records etc. It would not even be that hard, a few days work to compile a list to see if there is anyone worth looking at more closely. We are only talking a few airports within the vicinity that serve Mexico. I'd be surprised if all told there were more than two or three flights that would be applicable. I'd be surprised if this weren't being looked at. Every detail is worth a shot. What if they discovered someone traveling out of sacrifice to Mexico that had previously violent crimes and or sexual criminal history just happened to be traveling to Mexico with an older and younger woman. IMO is a Longshot but one worth looking at.

I am like 4 pages behind but I had to say
1st I'm so wishy washy with this case and today I came to
2nd. LE is in a huge balancing act. Trying to please the public and keep that poker face on. I think they can't say what they want for fear of jeopardizing the case and I don't think all of that has to do with prosecution or catching someone up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of minors; no 34-year-old housewives, abducted while jogging.

Not in the list I found. This was just the first 5 that popped up. There are hundreds of cases. And I saw a CNN documentary and there were middle aged women that had been forced into the trafficking route. I don't think any were jogging, but one had been out at a club, and was roofied, and taken that night.

I am not saying that she was definitely taken by traffickers. Just saying that many of the things she endured, are signs of what happens to victims of trafficking. Being held hostage, being battered, being branded, being isolated and sometimes being kidnapped....so it is hard to ignore the similarities.

My point is, he is increasing rumors. he is fanning them with his silly and incomplete answers. When he releases a very vague description of the suspects as if that is all SP said about them it will only lead to people saying its not true. So why is he doing it? Clearly they followed up to get more and more detail. If she noticed one was older than the other then she would have a guess at their ages. That should have been included today. To leave it at what he said is worse than saying nothing.

What makes you think he is withholding information that could protect the public/ assist in catching the perp, rather he is giving as much info as he has been given?

Just want to add... I mean no snark. I truly am interested to know what makes you feel this way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Home to Mexico? For all we know they're from Redding. I also think the description is way too vague for people to be looking out at airports. Unless they're paying for tickets with 100k in cash.

JMO

I am not talking about people looking out for them at airports. I am talking about officers (who likely have a bit more info than we do) looking over purchased ticket logs. Being a retired pilot aware of how LE utilizes airline information and someone who assists in missing persons cases it is worth a look. Just my two cents though. I've been wrong before I'll be wrong again.

DOne.

Poll:
What is your theory on motive?

1. Human Trafficking
2. Gangs/Cartel activity
3. Specifically targeted and taken for ransom
4. Personally targeted by someone she knows/knows her family
5. Hate crime
6. None of the above (Share more if NOT against TOS)

My 4 with a possible side of 3 can easily be combined with 6.

Simple. :)

Lots of minors; no 34-year-old housewives, abducted while jogging.

I agree. I think we all realize that human trafficking is a huge problem. The victims are usually teens who are controlled and many held captive, etc. I have never heard of an adult woman jogger being held as part of a sex trafficking ring. I've heard of adult women being abducted and being held captive as a sex slave for one or two psychotic people.

I too believe the ransom money was paid for SP's release. When the first $50,000 reward was offered, I would guess negotiations began. A $100,000 reward/ransom is a very large amount of money even in terms of obtaining moenies illegally, whether that be through drugs, human trafficking or money laundering. Human trafficking is the #1 illegal way money is laundered in this country, despite that most people think it is through drugs. I have a feeling the money was paid and LE is working with the banks, the "anonymous" doner and even treasury to trace this money. Someone cannot just walk into a bank and withdraw that sort of cash without flags being raised, including freezing of assets if a suspecipis activity report (SAR) is raised. This is also done for suspicious wire transfers. Essentially this may be the ultimate downfall, IMO.

I am new to this group but am an anti-money laundering risk professional at a major international bank and this case immediately has me on alert. To the moderators, feel free to contact me to verify my crededenrials. Also I'm happy to further elaborate on how cash and wire transfers are traced, before and after transactions.

Welcome!!!! I also work in an industry with high risk of money laundering activities and I can't believe my mind didn't go there before now! That entire reward situation was bizarre but in this context, could make much more sense.

I too believe the ransom money was paid for SP's release. When the first $50,000 reward was offered, I would guess negotiations began. A $100,000 reward/ransom is a very large amount of money even in terms of obtaining moenies illegally, whether that be through drugs, human trafficking or money laundering. Human trafficking is the #1 illegal way money is laundered in this country, despite that most people think it is through drugs. I have a feeling the money was paid and LE is working with the banks, the "anonymous" doner and even treasury to trace this money. Someone cannot just walk into a bank and withdraw that sort of cash without flags being raised, including freezing of assets if a suspecipis activity report (SAR) is raised. This is also done for suspicious wire transfers. Essentially this may be the ultimate downfall, IMO.

I am new to this group but am an anti-money laundering risk professional at a major international bank and this case immediately has me on alert. To the moderators, feel free to contact me to verify my crededenrials. Also I'm happy to further elaborate on how cash and wire transfers are traced, before and after transactions.
Welcome...[emoji2]

We're not assuming that Hispanic is synonymous with Mexican, are we?????????

I think you're missing the point but I apologize if I upset anyone with my post. I thought this site was about exploring ideas. Maybe I should go hide back in my corner.

LE knows who orchestrated this and they're not going to be out hurting anyone else. Thats why there's no urgency by bosenko or any other LE group. They're just putting the pieces together to one of the craziest stories we've ever heard.
Indeed... Now about all that money...

If that's happening I don't think it's his intent. I think this speaking to the press is tough business and if verbal press communication is not your forté, it's a slippery slope and it's way too easy to not phrase something the best possible way. Perhaps he should partake of a PR expert. I saw today's press conference and he really didn't say much of anything outside of reading the prepared statement and only confirming 2 things: the branding did happen (but no details of it) and they are looking for 2 hispanic females (with a few details about their appearance). The rest was boilerplate stuff for the most part and then refusing to answer media questions, which is typical.

I thought he did great and he released a lot more info. A description, that the release of injuries was without their knowledge and may have compromised the investigation, his support for the Papinis, the branding, what agencies are involved in the investigation, what they're looking at, and so forth.

Today was how he should've handled it all along. But you're right - not every investigator is going to be great at verbal communication with the media.

I think you're missing the point but I apologize if I upset anyone with my post. I thought this site was about exploring ideas. Maybe I should go hide back in my corner.
It is a reasonable assumption here in CA. Dont let them scare you away..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It is a reasonable assumption here in CA. Dont let them scare you away..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thank you. I have worked cases in the Redding area and am very aware of the very large presence of Mexican people who populate the area. It is probably why when I hear "hispanic woman" and "spoke mostly in spanish" I don't put much energy into thinking of any other area but Mexico. I guess it is possible though but IMO its highly unlikely.

I don't think you should hide in a corner. I think your point is well-taken. I also think the caution that not all Hispanics/Latinos are Mexican is a very good one for all of us to remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guttertroll