Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I respectfully disagree completely with your statement that "human trafficking is a non issue in this country." It is happening from coast to coast, with California leading the country in trafficking crimes. The FBI stings aren't just looking for prostitutes, they're looking for (and rescuing) trafficking victims. Maybe we should just stop referring to it as trafficking and call it what it really is, MODERN DAY SLAVERY. BBM JMO

LOS ANGELES POLICE ARREST 198 IN SEX TRAFFICKING OPERATION, RESCUE 18 VICTIMS

http://www.newsweek.com/sex-trafficking-los-angeles-fbi-lapd-420614

FBI rescues 82 children in nationwide sex trafficking sting

http://nbc4i.com/2016/10/28/fbi-rescues-82-children-in-nationwide-sex-trafficking-sting/
29 pimps, prostitutes in N.J. arrested in FBI child sex trafficking bust

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016/10/29_pimps_prostitutes_in_nj_arrested_in_fbi_human_t.html

FBI recovers 9 child sex trafficking victims in Colorado, Wyoming as part of national operation

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/10/18/fbi-colorado-child-sex-trafficking-victims-rescue/

FBI sex trafficking raids in Kansas City area lead to recovery of five teens, four women

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article108863117.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article108863117.html

FBI sex trafficking bust recovers 168 kids, some never reported missing

http://nypost.com/2014/07/30/fbi-sex-trafficking-bust-recovers-168-kids-some-never-reported-missing/

As I said, anybody who tries that, will get caught. These articles are part of international sting operations. A lot of LEOs involved to make those arrests, all over the country. The articles are also very short on details on how they come up with the numbers. I would be interested to know how many people are actually prosecuted for it.

Again none of that is relevant to this case. Because SP is not a teenage runaway.

When I was young (in my 20s but looked like a teenager) I was approached at a bus stop in the Bay Area by a fast talking guy who asked me "You're not from around here, are you?" I replied yes I was. He said "You've got an accent, you must be new to the area." Not new, lived here all my life. "You don't sound like it. Do you need a place to stay?' Finally another man came over and shooed him away. I think he was scouting out young girls for the trade. That's probably more how they do it than kidnapping jogging mothers.

I don't think they sat around waiting for a jogging woman to come by. I think she had been seen previously, they liked what they saw, stalked her and then abducted her when it was convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is if the FBI is still trying to follow the $ they can't confirm anything. I think FBI would take over investigation on ransom?

Is there any evidence that money exchanged hands? Or is this pure conjecture? Just wondering.

Just some thoughts... First off, this community is wonderful, filled with top-notch critical thinkers. I'm continually amazed by the amount respect between members in this community. While many of the theories presented are plausible, I always like to consider likelihoods and probabilities, and upon an examination of the facts, narrow it down from there.

This case definitely defies logic. While human trafficking and gang-related motives are plausible, how likely are they in this case? I'm of the opinion that if these were in fact the true motives, SP wouldn'tve been returned alive.

<modsnip>

Sadly but truly, when white suburbia is affected, the nation takes notice, as was the case in this case. I just think that we should try to consider who stood to gain the most from the unfathomable victimization of SP.

Great article, creepcrusher! But is it really proof that adult women can be abducted and trafficked? I mean, after all, the Arlington woman wasn't a 34 year old, married, mother of 2, SAHM, weighing 105 pounds, blonde, living in Redding, out for a jog, wearing a pink jacket. Of course, I mean no disrespect to you. Just SMH at all the myths and misconceptions when the proof IS there. Women that are raped don't typically scream it from the rooftops, much as most trafficking victims that escape don't advertise how horrific their lives have been in captivity. There are some very strong women that overcome the abuse and tell their stories to help bring awareness. But IMO, most live in silence, so it's impossible to know the exact numbers. MOO

I guess before they abduct their victims they verify their ages, make sure they're single, and haven't given birth to a child. If they make the checklist they're good to go.

Ok. If this guy orchestrated SP's abduction, then why her? They attend a Catholic Church. It doesn't seem they were acquainted at all before this. Why for so long? And why not make it more obvious he negotiated a ransom? ETA: If he was trying to make it look like sex trafficking, then I would think he would target someone that fit the standard profile.

Ok. If this guy orchestrated SP's abduction, then why her? They attend a Catholic Church. It doesn't seem they were acquainted at all before this. Why for so long? And why not make it more obvious he negotiated a ransom.
Great question

Your argument would hold more weight if it were supported by actual facts rather than personal blogs. The evidence speaks for itself; perps are not prosecuted and jailed for crimes that don't exist or are "non-issues." I'm not here to debate whether or not trafficking exists or where it is most common. Just check out the Redding crime pages for a local perspective. I'm open-minded to consider any possibilities when we only have a small fraction of what took place in regards to SP. <modsnip>

Here in this country, people are being bought, sold, and smuggled like modern-day slaves, often beaten, starved, and forced to work as prostitutes or to take jobs as migrant, domestic, restaurant, or factory workers with little or no pay. Over the past decade, human trafficking has been identified as a heinous crime which exploits the most vulnerable in society. Among the Civil Rights Unit&#8217;s priorities is its human trafficking program, based on the passage of the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which provided that &#8220;neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States.&#8221;

https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/civil-rights/human-trafficking

I used to think this to, but when you actually do the research it starts becoming pretty apparent that "sex trafficking" is a moral panic with very little basis in reality. It sounds crazy, but in the 1980s people, non-profits, the media, and even law enforcement bought into the "satanic ritual abuse" panic. Compared to that, "sex trafficking" is OBVIOUSLY a far more plausible issue.

I have a couple friends who think I'm nuts whenever we start discussing sex trafficking and I'm skeptical about it, so I've compiled a list of interesting articles about "sex trafficking" on Google Documents that are written from a skeptical position. I think that ANYONE who is interested in the topic is doing themselves a disservice if they don't investigate some dissenting opinion on the matter. Below is the link to the document with the articles I've compiled. At the very least give the ones I've filed under "must reads" a shot; I think you'll find them fascinating.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zCvWy4YTv43m0s1zLJ4JUxULd6pklR880axxOZw8_uw/edit?usp=sharing

Since you claimed that California "[leads] the country in trafficking crimes" I'd also highly recommend checking out this article. Basically, tons of different states make the same exact claim with little to no actual evidence to support their claims. As an Oregonian I was convinced for years that Portland, OR was the biggest "sex trafficking" hub in America, but it was literally just a claim that I'd heard repeated over and over that fell apart the second I started actually looking into it.

I used to think this to, but when you actually do the research it starts becoming pretty apparent that "sex trafficking" is a moral panic with very little basis in reality. It sounds crazy, but in the 1980s people, non-profits, the media, and even law enforcement bought into the "satanic ritual abuse" panic. Compared to that, "sex trafficking" is OBVIOUSLY a far more plausible issue.

I have a couple friends who think I'm nuts whenever we start discussing sex trafficking and I'm skeptical about it, so I've compiled a list of interesting articles about "sex trafficking" on Google Documents that are written from a skeptical position. I think that ANYONE who is interested in the topic is doing themselves a disservice if they don't investigate some dissenting opinion on the matter. Below is the link to the document with the articles I've compiled. At the very least give the ones I've filed under "must reads" a shot; I think you'll find them fascinating.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zCvWy4YTv43m0s1zLJ4JUxULd6pklR880axxOZw8_uw/edit?usp=sharing

Since you claimed that California "[leads] the country in trafficking crimes" I'd also highly recommend checking out this article. Basically, tons of different states make the same exact claim with little to no actual evidence to support their claims. As an Oregonian I was convinced for years that Portland, OR was the biggest "sex trafficking" hub in America, but it was literally just a claim that I'd heard repeated over and over that fell apart the second I started actually looking into it.

If you are going to have an international prostitution sting operation with hundreds of LEOs involved from all over the world, there will be arrests. Probably quite a few of them. They don't give details about how they come up with the numbers. But even if you accept the numbers at face value, that one operation rescued 82 children nationwide. To put that in perspective, that's less than two per state.

Off topic...Prayers to Mr. & Mrs. Bessie - I've been through the same thing. :scared::scared::scared::scared:
Nothing but love to you!!!

Your argument would hold more weight if it were supported by actual facts rather than personal blogs.

The Washington Post, Salon, Reason, Slate, The Guardian, and Village Voice are definitely not "personal blogs", and all have written extensively about this topic. The one "personal blog" that I did contain a lot of links to does an incredibly good job at sourcing it's claims, and it's author has been featured in major, reputable publications.

I'm probably forgetting some, so....

:welcome2: :welcome3:

Bear with me, but I did a little research on the Redding area (next to SP’s home) because I thought it might provide broader context (and because I traveled through the general area – my observations below if you get through this post). Many are focusing on sex trafficking, but statistically, what kind of crimes happen in the area? Of course these may have nothing to do with SP’s case but sex crimes and drugs are very serious issues there.

SEX CRIMES: Redding was named the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] most dangerous place in the United States for women in 2012 – specifically because of high rates of sexual assaults.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/meghanc...women-anchorage-fairbanks-flint/#7a8c4e4238fe

SEX TRAFFICKING: Redding/Shasta County also does have an issue with sex trafficking, but it’s not considered a major hub like Sacramento. Still, there is a group entirely dedicated to countering sex trafficking there. One of the group’s members believes she saw SP with 2 males at a gas station 2 days before her release. (She called police.)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lue-pick-truck-rest-stop-just-days-found.html
Please note that average age of a victim is 13 and SP does not fit the profile at all – also it doesn’t seem most women/girls are grabbed off the street. Often they are runaways, at risk, fall in with a bad boyfriend, etc. (Lisa Ling did a really good segment on this.)
http://www.ncatcoalition.org/

DRUGS: Humboldt County/Eureka (neighboring Shasta County) has a reputation as a major marijuana producer, but Humboldt has actually been named one of 28 “High Intensity Drug Traffic Areas” in the United States and there are very serious drug issues (meth, heroin) in Redding as well. The cartels are active in Humboldt, and the indication is that these are local cartels (especially the marijuana farm owners, who have long fought the DEA). Mexican/Colombian/other Central American cartels are also very powerful of course, running drugs through California, and up to Canada.
SP was working occasionally in Eureka, coming in from Redding – remarkable given that it’s a 3.5 hour trek through the mountains each way.
http://kymkemp.com/2016/11/07/two-h...lieved-by-family-to-be-abducted-near-redding/
http://www.northcoastjournal.com/humboldt/whats-killing-us/Content?oid=3265840

GENERAL CRIME: (dated info, quoted verbatim from TIME) “There were 1,298 violent crimes in the Redding metro area in 2012, up from 851 violent crimes in 2007. On a standardized, per 100,000 resident basis, violent crime rose more than 53% in that time. Additionally, property crimes rose by more than 50%, the most of any metro area reviewed, despite a nationwide 12.7% decline in such crimes during that time. According to the Redding Record Searchlight, some area residents believe that the area’s high crime rates may be related to marijuana cultivation. Officials in Shasta County — which makes up the Redding metro area — recently elected to ban outdoor growing, although the city of Redding is not included in the ban.”
http://time.com/6729/10-cities-where-violent-crime-is-soaring/

While I don’t mean to insult Redding or her nearby town, when I stayed in that area of northern California earlier this year I was shocked by how hard up people seemed. Struggling towns, big and small, with people literally walking down the street tweaking from meth or slumped over from heroin — Eureka, sadly, was the worst; I have lived and worked in several war zones and lived in many crime-infested cities in the U.S., and not exactly in the nicest neighborhoods, and I’ve never seen such drug use or frankly, felt so vulnerable. These towns are absolutely gorgeous, set up against the mountains, with an old west feel and impressive history, but also with dilapidated infrastructure, crime, homelessness and hard drugs. So very, very sad; my bestie’s parents moved up near there to a “nicer” town by the area’s standards and it’s still a drug den. Not an ethnically diverse region at all (and very isolated, not near any airports) and I saw a few Confederate flags, unusual in California of course. This case caught my eye because the area (though I never went to SP’s town) really made an impression on me, in stark contrast to my travels there in the ‘80s and ‘90s. (Cute though struggling back then, just not so depressed.)

On another note, given that we don’t know much about her, I’m still curious about SP’s race issue(s), if any. SP’s alleged letter on the Skinheadz website (which some have denied she wrote) where she supposedly brawled with several Latinos/Latinas; her Pinterest board on “Cultural Differences” which appears authentic, is strongly Islamophobic and pins “white identity” and also, interestingly, Native American quotes. These are worth noting, though they too, of course, may have nothing to do with the case. I found reports of the head shaving (unclear here but it seems part of her hair was shaved and chopped as well) troubling, and wonder about her supposed blog. There is so little information and I don’t want to speculate on what happened and the fact is that she was injured. How badly and by whom, it doesn’t matter. She was injured.

Given the branding I would also be curious about which groups engage in that – not just the obvious based on her ID of the captors (Hispanic gangs) but also rape gangs or sexual predators, white gangs (possibly white supremacists, who usually embrace violence) and drug cartels, simply because of her location, the criminal elements and the demography of the area.

A couple of other random things to note:

+ Many interviews have been given to the British tabloid, The DailyMail. The DailyMail pays for stories. Most U.S. tabloids do not (but websites such as TMZ and Radar do.) 20/20 (which the husband will be interviewed for Friday) does not per an ABC policy.

+ The issue with the driver not seeing her hair chopped – it was 4:30 a.m. and she was driving 70 mph down a dark highway. Unless her head was totally shaved I don’t see this as a discrepancy.

+ The husband’s poetic statement: He could be a writer or perhaps had someone else, perhaps a professional writer but not a professional statement drafter, write it for him. I don’t see much odd here either.

+ If they had something to hide I would question why the husband is doing so many interviews and giving statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member