Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Break her psychologically for what? It makes no sense. <modsnip>

Keeping someone for 3 weeks is hugely expensive. I'm not just talking about the cost to feed them. I'm talking about having to guard them, take precautions they are not located, communication with various people throughout to avoid detection. It takes a lot of time that could be spent somewhere else ("opportunity costs"). And of course the risk you would be caught and spend much more money/time defending yourself, going to prison for years, etc. Why? What is the payoff?

Gangs do not typically sex traffic 34 year old blonde American women with a family and involved in the community. Please. They go after much younger, vulnerable girls who can disappear with few people knowing or caring. And they certainly don't hold them for 3 weeks and simply torture them, only to let them go. That's 3 weeks of zero income, high risk.

Gang initiation? OK, maybe, but 3 weeks?!? I can see some crazy initiation where they must kidnap and brutalize a woman, but not for 3 weeks!

Revenge on the family runs into the same issues. You can "send a message" in 3 days, you don't need 3 weeks. Too risky, makes no sense.

You're right. None of it makes any sense to a rational mind. That's why we're on thread #15. So, what do you think happened here? Motive?

How does that fit with the careful placement of the phone some way off the road? I mean if in broad daylight you roll up to your victim pointing a gun I would imagine they would grab, bundle her into the car and get out of dodge?

To me, that fits perfectly. I'm a little surprised that the conclusion that she was taken "forcibly by gunpoint" didn't follow almost automatically after the revelation that she was kidnapped by two women, one who had a handgun.

And then, the thought that the phone/buds were placed neatly down on the grass follows too. If she were grabbed and endured a physical struggle, they wouldn't be placed neatly.

At gunpoint, the abductor would say take your earbuds out, and drop your phone and earbuds on the ground. A reflexive habitual behavior would cause her to neatly place them rather than throwing them.

Good morning. Would y&#8217;all mind some sleuthing about the anonymous donor?

Yesterday the Redding Record Searchlight newspaper did a pretty good review of what we know and don&#8217;t know about this case:

http://www.redding.com/news/local/w...8a-5a9c-33bb-e053-0100007f19c1-404521726.html

The article says, &#8220;Two weeks after Papini disappeared, an anonymous person created a website, sherripapini.com, to offer an undisclosed ransom for her immediate release and set an expiration date of 5 a.m. Nov. 23, the day before Thanksgiving. A letter provided instructions to the alleged captors and named Cameron Gamble as the middle man.&#8221;

However, it is interesting to note that a WHOIS look-up reveals that the site was registered on November 7, only five days after SP&#8217;s disappearance:

https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=sherripapini.com

You&#8217;ll have to type in the anti-spam characters to see the results. Unfortunately, this is a GoDaddy proxy registration that hides the owner&#8217;s name.

My question is: Does it make sense that the anonymous donor was involved as early as 11/7, registering a domain that would be used ten days later, on 11/17, to communicate a ransom offer? Wasn&#8217;t everyone still debating, on 11/7, whether this was a kidnapping, vs. a voluntary disappearance, vs. some other kind of crime, such as a homicide?

Note that in a Record Searchlight article on 11/17 the reporter says: &#8220;[Gamble] said he did not write the letter or set up the website, but rather the anonymous person did and put Gamble's contact information in it.&#8221; Source:

http://www.redding.com/news/local/P...ffers-reward-for-missing-woman-401771575.html

I guess the obvious punchline here is: I hope the sheriff or the FBI or somebody has obtained a warrant for the domain registration records and has determined who launched the site. The answer to that will tell us a lot about CG&#8217;s role, and maybe even about the entire crime. I have always wondered whether the anonymous donor exists. To my eye, the 11/17 donor&#8217;s letter has a very distinct voice that is not unlike the style of CG&#8217;s own posts and writings. That said, everyone&#8217;s writing voice resembles someone else&#8217;s.

Would also be interesting to know on what date LJ, family friend, contacted CG for his help, as stated in the second video of CG going around that I now can't find to post.

The abductors wore masks the entire 3 weeks, indicating at no time were they planning to murder SP. From the outset they were planning to let her go, otherwise no need for a mask. They were also apparently intelligent enough to leave her cell phone at the scene to avoid being tracked. These are pros. The branding, what it was, would be very helpful in terms of trying to understand a motive. I'm guessing hate crime and the message may be for whites in general.

I agree with you. I think it will be very clear when the "message/branding" is known.

The phone with the earbuds rolled up doesn't bother me. Maybe she as she was approaching the mailbox, she took them out and rolled them up as she got ready to get her mail. Maybe she just got tired of her music and was running holding it like that. I've done that before.

Good morning. Would y’all mind some sleuthing about the anonymous donor?

Yesterday the Redding Record Searchlight newspaper did a pretty good review of what we know and don’t know about this case:

http://www.redding.com/news/local/w...8a-5a9c-33bb-e053-0100007f19c1-404521726.html

The article says, “Two weeks after Papini disappeared, an anonymous person created a website, sherripapini.com, to offer an undisclosed ransom for her immediate release and set an expiration date of 5 a.m. Nov. 23, the day before Thanksgiving. A letter provided instructions to the alleged captors and named Cameron Gamble as the middle man.”

However, it is interesting to note that a WHOIS look-up reveals that the site was registered on November 7, only five days after SP’s disappearance:

https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=sherripapini.com

You’ll have to type in the anti-spam characters to see the results. Unfortunately, this is a GoDaddy proxy registration that hides the owner’s name.

My question is: Does it make sense that the anonymous donor was involved as early as 11/7, registering a domain that would be used ten days later, on 11/17, to communicate a ransom offer? Wasn’t everyone still debating, on 11/7, whether this was a kidnapping, vs. a voluntary disappearance, vs. some other kind of crime, such as a homicide?

Note that in a Record Searchlight article on 11/17 the reporter says: “[Gamble] said he did not write the letter or set up the website, but rather the anonymous person did and put Gamble's contact information in it.” Source:

http://www.redding.com/news/local/P...ffers-reward-for-missing-woman-401771575.html

I guess the obvious punchline here is: I hope the sheriff or the FBI or somebody has obtained a warrant for the domain registration records and has determined who launched the site. The answer to that will tell us a lot about CG’s role, and maybe even about the entire crime. I have always wondered whether the anonymous donor exists. To my eye, the 11/17 donor’s letter has a very distinct voice that is not unlike the style of CG’s own posts and writings. That said, everyone’s writing voice resembles someone else’s.

LE would need probable cause to get a judge to sign a warrant. Is creating a website to promote a ransom a crime? Is there any evidence that the anonymous donor had anything to do with Sherri's abduction? JMO

How does that fit with the careful placement of the phone some way off the road? I mean if in broad daylight you roll up to your victim pointing a gun I would imagine they would grab, bundle her into the car and get out of dodge?

If she was at the mailboxes, she may have been seen by others who also use the same mailboxes. The SUV could have been spotted. Did the SUV speed away? Make a u-turn? Was the SUV on the same shoulder as Sherri? Did they even pull over or just stop on the road? What was the smell of the inside of the car? Did they put a bag over her head right away? Did Sherri put her phone there to be found? Or did the woman with the gun who was trying to grab her also grab her phone? Was Sherri's hair in a ponytail that morning? Did she usually run with her hair down or up?

With the "Gone Girl" scenario off the table, I think the most likely explantion is that Sherri did or said something (in real life or online) that pissed somebody off and that this was a targeted revenge attack rather than a random one, and that's why police don't seem to concerned about the risks to other women. The message in the branding probably gives some clue as to why she was targeted and Sherri wouldn't necessarily need to know the offenders for them to know or "know of" her.

Even if they had only read comments from her online, depending on how much personal info she gave out online they may have been able to track her down and maybe even watch her for a while first to establish the best time to strike. Her routine of jogging alone to the mailbox was a perfect opportunity for them to put the plan into action.

About the branding: was the message in words? How many words?

Just got around to watching the 20/20 special. Not much new from what I've already read about. It's fairly obvious now she was abducted however there is still something off with the case. Her husband seemed believable and obviously grief stricken. Both my wife and I said we wouldn't be crying that much on national TV though, especially if a man. I guess everyone reacts differently.

It doesn't feel like a sex trafficking case to me. If feels like someone who hates who SP is or represents, a pretty white girl. Possible hate crime over race and/or politics? Although how would they know her political views if that has anything to do with?

Other thought is a gang initiation act or cult. Unlikely a cult though

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Two more questions about the anonymous donor before I sign off and go rake my leaves.

1] 11/17 letter from the anonymous donor to the perp: “I will only be in Redding for the next few days before I leave on my next business trip. I have the cash ready to give to my negotiator 24/7 as soon as you reach out to him using the contact information below.” Source:

https://kobi5.com/news/regional-news/50000-ransom-offered-for-missing-n-california-woman-40414/

2] 11/22 CG video on YouTube, at 2:10 : “The anonymous donor has already left the Redding area to be with his family for Thanksgiving.” Source:

[video=youtube;Mu4mjpWpaY8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu4mjpWpaY8&t=96s[/video]

Question 1: Business trip or off to see the family for Thanksgiving?

Question 2: If I’m a kidnapper and you want to drop an anonymous donor’s 50G ransom on me, I don’t much care whether the donor’s in Redding, Rio de Janeiro, or Alpha Centauri. I am inclined to say that emphasizing the “the dude’s about to leave town”/”the dude’s already left town” message is intended for some audience other than the kidnappers. Who?

Two more questions about the anonymous donor before I sign off and go rake my leaves.

Question 1: Business trip or off to see the family for Thanksgiving?

Question 2: If I&#8217;m a kidnapper and you want to drop an anonymous donor&#8217;s 50G ransom on me, I don&#8217;t much care whether the donor&#8217;s in Redding, Rio de Janeiro, or Alpha Centauri. I am inclined to say that emphasizing the &#8220;the dude&#8217;s about to leave town&#8221;/&#8221;the dude&#8217;s already left town&#8221; message is intended for some audience other than the kidnappers. Who?

I really like your analysis but I don't think this is important. They are trying to emphasize an end date. A good strategy to get someone to act... if you think an offer never expires, you will delay action.

The other thing - they sent a letter to a news station, who ignored it because they couldn't confirm anything, about the same date as the website was registered.

Investigators reportedly did file around 20warrants prior to SP being found. That's a lot of warrants! I don't know if the ransom letter and offer is what generated the need for warrants, but other than the ones we would expect, for SP and KP social media and bank accounts,it sounds like the ransom business piqued investigators interest. JMO

LE would need probable cause to get a judge to sign a warrant. Is creating a website to promote a ransom a crime? Is there any evidence that the anonymous donor had anything to do with Sherri's abduction? JMO

Greetings, RANCH. Definitely not a crime to create a website for the ransom offer and definitely no evidence that the anonymous donor had anything to do with Sherri's abduction. I said we would learn more about this case if we had answers to the questions I raised. I did not say we would have indictments.

I respectfully disagree. It clearly was not expensive for SP's abductors to keep her 22 days. She weighed 87 pounds when released, so they obviously didn't break the bank on food. Having her chained to something in a basement or wherever she was held would eliminate the need for 24 hour monitoring, though with 2 abductors, certainly possible that one of them stayed at the location. But IMO, safe to say she didn't need to be "guarded". Further, I highly doubt that most perps are considered about how much money it's going to cost for a defense when committing a crime, as the majority would have public defenders IF they were to get caught. I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that these perps were not upstanding citizens of the community holding 8 to 5 jobs so "zero income" for 3 weeks really isn't in play here. And if they were interested in the ransom money at any point, it would've obviously amounted to much more than 3 weeks of wages.

I didn't mention anything about it being gang-related. Loud noises being blared to break her psychologically (other than drowning out her cries for help) are not far fetched. A recent lengthy road trip with my daughter and 2 friends with the radio, singing, laughing, etc. and I was certain I was going to lose my mind before we got to our destination. But the branding, beating, starving, hair cutting, chaining are all consistent with means of torture used by traffickers. Whether or not she was taken for the purpose of trafficking is yet to be seen, but IMO, she was definitely in the hands of those very familiar with the trafficking industry. The myth of what a victim looks like and SP fitting or not fitting a "typical" profile has been discussed in length in previous threads. We can agree to disagree on that one, too. Until we have a clear motive, I believe anything is possible. All just JMO.

Break her psychologically for what? It makes no sense. <modsnip>

Keeping someone for 3 weeks is hugely expensive. I'm not just talking about the cost to feed them. I'm talking about having to guard them, take precautions they are not located, communication with various people throughout to avoid detection. It takes a lot of time that could be spent somewhere else ("opportunity costs"). And of course the risk you would be caught and spend much more money/time defending yourself, going to prison for years, etc. Why? What is the payoff?

Gangs do not typically sex traffic 34 year old blonde American women with a family and involved in the community. Please. They go after much younger, vulnerable girls who can disappear with few people knowing or caring. And they certainly don't hold them for 3 weeks and simply torture them, only to let them go. That's 3 weeks of zero income, high risk.

Gang initiation? OK, maybe, but 3 weeks?!? I can see some crazy initiation where they must kidnap and brutalize a woman, but not for 3 weeks!

Revenge on the family runs into the same issues. You can "send a message" in 3 days, you don't need 3 weeks. Too risky, makes no sense.

When they looked at the containers on the 20/20 episode all I could think about was KB in South Carolina. :(
The first thing that popped in my mind was "Is this where she was kept for 3 weeks?"
Something about Gamble raised red flags (for me) early on.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

I really like your analysis but I don't think this is important. They are trying to emphasize an end date. A good strategy to get someone to act... if you think an offer never expires, you will delay action.

The other thing - they sent a letter to a news station, who ignored it because they couldn't confirm anything, about the same date as the website was registered.

Why wouldn't the 'nappers take CG's announced end date seriously regardless of what town or state the donor was in?

And another case involving sex trafficking in Redding, beating, and women having their hair cut off then being released after weeks of captivity. I posted this in a earlier thread already, but in case anyone missed it:

In a case that grew over time, Baldwin-Green, 27, and Williams, 23, were arrested in March 2014 for allegedly abducting a 16-year-old Sacramento girl and pimping her in the North State.

That girl reported to officers that she had been kidnapped and held for weeks in Redding by the pair, who allegedly pimped her in Shasta and Tehama counties before she was able to escape.

Since the pair were arrested, their case has grown to include more than two dozen felonies involving six other alleged victims, including one who reportedly told detectives she was threatened with torture and death before being dumped naked in a remote area near Red Bluff in February 2013.

Baldwin-Green also cut off that woman's hair before she was abandoned and told her, "This is what happens to b---- who are not loyal," Van Slyke told the jury.

http://midco.net/front_controller.p...searc-humantrafficking_pimping_case_rests-tca

Why wouldn't the 'nappers take CG's announced end date seriously regardless of what town or state the donor was in?

It might be something and the ransom offerers may not have needed to give a reason to the expiration or they may have just been trying to think up an excuse to have an end date.

I suspect there was no out of town person and maybe no money at all. Wasn't the amount unclear for a while when it was first offered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper